Small businesses in irreversible collapse - and no one cares, the media barely covers it... why??

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
Yes this belongs in politics, because it is politics that is killing small businesses across the country.
I have been saying this for 3 months with little response even on this forum. We are entering into a place this country has never been before - the near complete loss of small businesses. In our locale, nearly 1/3 are closed indefinitely or permanently. It is the same everywhere.

So why is the news barely covering this??

Because the investment/financial class couldn't think of a better thing to happen. You can't invest in a small business. You can't cut 5% cream off the top by playing in the stock market... because they are not there. As every small business closes, in all likelihood the market will be assumed by a corporate box store. Or via online. And THAT can be invested in. So as small businesses close, this opens the door for $100s Billions in investable commerce that is off limits to them now.
And what will be the result - and even greater concentration of wealth.

Long live corporatism.

I guess this just goes to show the stock market is not the economy and maybe small business owner's should have a years worth of capital on hand at all times.

Because the media answers to their advertisers -- the competition of small businesses.

I guess this just goes to show the stock market is not the economy and maybe small business owner's should have a years worth of capital on hand at all times.
And maybe you are more clueless than previously thought possible.
OMG - that is such a brain dead thing to say, I wouldn't know where to start. A year's worth of capital.... FFS.... holy shit

Well if a small business fails it is locally. If a national company fails it is a shot heard around the country.

Still people work hard to start a business and there is no certainty that it will fail or succeed. The art of the deal. File bankruptcy and start over again.

Yes this belongs in politics, because it is politics that is killing small businesses across the country.
I have been saying this for 3 months with little response even on this forum. We are entering into a place this country has never been before - the near complete loss of small businesses. In our locale, nearly 1/3 are closed indefinitely or permanently. It is the same everywhere.

Because the investment/financial class couldn't think of a better thing to happen. You can't invest in a small business. You can't cut 5% cream off the top by playing in the stock market... because they are not there. As every small business closes, in all likelihood the market will be assumed by a corporate box store. Or via online. And THAT can be invested in. So as small businesses close, this opens the door for $100s Billions in investable commerce that is off limits to them now.

Long live corporatism.

I've been through four recessions and with every recession my business died no one gave a damn about it over the last thirty-five years why are they supposed to now? And I never did get a PPP loan or a bailout nor did I ever get unemployment..

Long live corporatism.

It's better that businesses die than people die.

But don't worry, if these business owners are as hard-working and deserving as right-wingers claim all wealthy people are, they shouldn't have a problem landing a new job.

OK... so yeah... I should know better.
Yeah... 2 million companies all filing bankruptcy at the same time is the way to go... the magic money fairy will make it all work.
:rolleyes:

Long live corporatism.

I've been through four recessions and with every recession my business died no one gave a damn about it over the last thirty-five years why are they supposed to now? And I never did get a PPP loan or a bailout nor did I ever get unemployment..
Yeah...so... this "recession" is unprecedented.... you know that right?
Take our business, in April/May we saw a 70% loss in revenue. That is not a recession... that is a full on economic collapse.
Today I closed the month, thank God August was better... but still from April - August we are down 40%. If you ran a business, than you should know that an overall 40% decline in revenue for 5 months is impossible to survive. NO ONE would survive that.
Without the PPP we would have closed in May and so would have literally 100,000's of businesses and the country would currently be in a full on depression. Unemployement would be near 40%.

I've been saying this from the outset, that these lockdowns were going to result in the largest transfer of wealth to the 1% in history.

And that's exactly what is happening. Didn't need a degree in rocketology to see this one coming.

I've been saying this from the outset, that these lockdowns were going to result in the largest transfer of wealth to the 1% in history.

And that's exactly what is happening. Didn't need a degree in rocketology to see this one coming.
I swear to God, I think 3/4 of the people here would fail 3rd grade math. "Every small business should have a years worth of capital on hand"... I mean... how do you even respond to that kind of special ignorance?

I swear to God, I think 3/4 of the people here would fail 3rd grade math. "Every small business should have a years worth of capital on hand"... I mean... how do you even respond to that kind of special ignorance?

I can't think of too many small business plans that have those sorts of reserves. Total shutdown for months or longer with no actual end. How to buy supplies, keep staff, train staff, etc.

Maybe you can plan for slow periods and you can run scenarios, but there was no realistic way to 'plan' for this. Thinking small business has those sorts of reserves is unrealistic. Cash flow runs a business, there are outflows and inflows, which is why a lot of business valuations are based on those cash flows as it is primary.

Aside from the first few months of setup time the base assumption is that there will be some inflow. Here we have some completely unforeseeable circumstance completely interrupting that for an indeterminate time. No way to plan for that.

Long live corporatism.

But don't worry, if these business owners are as hard-working and deserving as right-wingers claim all wealthy people are, they shouldn't have a problem landing a new job.
You think that all those businesses are wealthy people? Many putting obscene hours in to make their business a success and run a profit. Your going tolove it when the government runs everything. The McGovernment burgers will be open for an hour a day with the first hundred customers waiting in a long line getting the substandard poorly made sandwich. Which would be the equal of many government workers in other fields.

Long live corporatism.

You think that all those businesses are wealthy people? Many putting obscene hours in to make their business a success and run a profit. Your going tolove it when the government runs everything. The McGovernment burgers will be open for an hour a day with the first hundred customers waiting in a long line getting the substandard poorly made sandwich. Which would be the equal of many government workers in other fields.

Well, if they're so hard working they shouldn't have a problem finding a job.

Long live corporatism.

False dichotomy...One that just reveals how utterly devoid of comparison that you Marxist assholes really are.

Most small business owners are far from wealthy and work on the tightest of margins, not to mention the millions that they employ, you heartless cocksucker.

Wow, Debbie...that's about as cold as it gets! For your information most small business owners are in a fight for survival right now and what they NEED is the ability to do business without government interference. All this political bullshit about this pandemic? Somehow we've lost sight of the fact that people's lively hoods are being wiped out and literally millions of Americans face bankruptcy because a certain segment of the population has decided that's a price THEY'RE willing to pay to stay safe!

Long live corporatism.

Well, if they're so hard working they shouldn't have a problem finding a job.
Ah, Richard? Fuck you! That's such a shitty thing to say about people who are losing everything they have you should be ashamed of yourself!

Long live corporatism.

Here is why

Forum List

Back