State teen birthrate dropped to lowest level in 20 years

My point is that correlation does not imply causation.
What a silly comment. Go back and read the evidence.

This evidence?

Public health experts say state laws are responsible for the decline because they require public schools that offer sex education classes to provide scientifically reliable instructions on how contraceptives work along with information about abstinence.

“We do believe that our programs are behind these numbers,” said Karen Ramstrom, the chief of the program standards branch at the California Department of Public Health’s maternal child and adolescent health division.

With strong "empirical" evidence like "say" and "believe", I trust you believe in the tooth fairy too.

No this evidence:

Quote: Originally Posted by kwc57

Or it could be because of the abortion rate. Just sayin'. It's just as easy to make the correlation that abortion has reduced the birth rate as sex education.

State Facts About Abortion: California

• In 2008, 1.2 million American women obtained abortions, producing a rate of 19.6 abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age. The rate is virtually unchanged from 2005, when the abortion rate was 19.4 abortions per 1,000 women 15-44.

• In 2008, 214,190 women obtained abortions in California, producing a rate of 27.6 abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age. Some of these women were from other states, and some California residents had abortions in other states, so this rate may not reflect the abortion rate of state residents. The rate increased 2% since 2005, when it was 27.1 abortions per 1,000 women 15-44. Abortions in California represent 17.7% of all abortions in the United States.
Nodog: That is a legitimate point. The latest statistics I could find had California at 26 abortions per 1,000. That's teenagers - not the entire reproductive age population.

So it appears that with that factored in - the number has dropped at least 16.9 per 1,000. Assuming that teens are getting abortions at the same ratio as they were in 2008 in relation to all within the entire reproductive age population - the decrease is much higher.

So that's good, right?

I don't get why some seem so determined to create a dark cloud for this silver lining.

It's good news, right?

Last edited:
Oh yes, please do read the article because the sex education you're crowing about included information about abstinence.

Plus the state's demographic changed which accounts for some of the improvement.

Of course, CA continues to lead the nation (and some foreign countries) in the teen birth rate. And the teen birthrate across the nation is down, too.

Last edited:
What a silly comment. Go back and read the evidence.

This evidence?

Public health experts say state laws are responsible for the decline because they require public schools that offer sex education classes to provide scientifically reliable instructions on how contraceptives work along with information about abstinence.

“We do believe that our programs are behind these numbers,” said Karen Ramstrom, the chief of the program standards branch at the California Department of Public Health’s maternal child and adolescent health division.

With strong "empirical" evidence like "say" and "believe", I trust you believe in the tooth fairy too.

No this evidence:

Or it could be because of the abortion rate. Just sayin'. It's just as easy to make the correlation that abortion has reduced the birth rate as sex education.

• In 2008, 1.2 million American women obtained abortions, producing a rate of 19.6 abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age. The rate is virtually unchanged from 2005, when the abortion rate was 19.4 abortions per 1,000 women 15-44.

• In 2008, 214,190 women obtained abortions in California, producing a rate of 27.6 abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age. Some of these women were from other states, and some California residents had abortions in other states, so this rate may not reflect the abortion rate of state residents. The rate increased 2% since 2005, when it was 27.1 abortions per 1,000 women 15-44. Abortions in California represent 17.7% of all abortions in the United States.
Nodog: That is a legitimate point. The latest statistics I could find had California at 26 abortions per 1,000. That's teenagers - not the entire reproductive age population.

So it appears that with that factored in - the number has dropped at least 16.9 per 1,000. Assuming that teens are getting abortions at the same ratio as they were in 2008 in relation to all within the entire reproductive age population - the decrease is much higher.

So that's good, right?

I don't get why some seem so determined to create a dark cloud for this silver lining.

It's good news, right?

So when are you going to prove that the teen birth rate dropped as a result of their programs? Correlation does not imply causation. I wished for a red car to drive by and one did, therefore my wish caused a red car to drive by. It's good that it has dropped, that is something we can agree on. Whether the program caused it or not is the question.

Sex education taught along side abstinence is the most common sense approach. Teenagers should be encouraged to wait until they're older before they have sex, but having all been teenagers ourselves and knowing many of them won't, it's logical to teach them about effective birth control and STD prevention as well. An abstinence only approach is absurd and a product of the religious right.

Oh yes, please do read the article because the sex education you're crowing about included information about abstinence.

Plus the state's demographic changed which accounts for some of the improvement.

Of course, CA continues to lead the nation (and some foreign countries) in the teen birth rate. And the teen birthrate across the nation is down, too.

What's wrong with abstinence education?
Or what's wrong with one of the areas with the worst teenage birth rates improving on that?

This evidence?

No this evidence:

So that's good, right?

It's good news, right?

So when are you going to prove that the teen birth rate dropped as a result of their programs? Correlation does not imply causation. I wished for a red car to drive by and one did, therefore my wish caused a red car to drive by. It's good that it has dropped, that is something we can agree on. Whether the program caused it or not is the question.

I'm not trying to prove what caused the drop - I never said anything about causation. I'm just celebrating the drop. Whatever caused it - it's a good thing, right?

Of course sex education courses should, and do, stress abstinence. It's the ones that ONLY teach abstinence that are failing teens.

Last edited:
From your own link Katz:

"What I see are teenagers who are poorly informed about the risk and also who don't know where to go for services," Khemet said.

It's unclear if testing could partly account for the STD spike. Screening methods have improved in recent years, becoming less invasive and therefore more appealing to youths, Moscicki said. More testing can translate into higher reported infection rates.

]On the other hand, when youths have poor access to medical care, they aren't tested for long stretches of time and can continue to spread their infection. Sacramento County has closed four of its five public health clinics – which provided STD screening and treatment – due to budget cuts in the past three years.

Poor access to health care partly explains why STD rates are higher among young minorities, Moscicki said. In Sacramento County, infection rates have jumped across all races, but the increases have been highest among blacks and Asian Americans.

Thanks

Just to inform you and others - there is NO SCREENING FOR STD. Meaning - nobody ever provides blanket SCREENING for STDs .
Tests are done upon request ONLY.

The only screening for STDs are done by some private companies upon job application and for insurance purposes. That includes HIV testing.
Oh, and for immigration purposes they do syphilis testing along with TB testing - HIV not included for PC reasons :D

A company could not test you for STDs for employment reasons. And companies do not.

No this evidence:

So that's good, right?

It's good news, right?

I'm not trying to prove what caused the drop - I never said anything about causation. I'm just celebrating the drop. Whatever caused it - it's a good thing, right?

Already agreed with that......look above.

This evidence?

No this evidence:

So that's good, right?

It's good news, right?

Well it did go up during the Bush years and the push for abstinence only education.

No this evidence:

So that's good, right?

It's good news, right?

Well it did go up during the Bush years and the push for abstinence only education.

Again, correlation does not imply causation. Better sex music during that ime could be the culprit as well.

Already agreed with that......look above.

Then we aren't arguing!
:thup:

This evidence?

No this evidence:

So that's good, right?

It's good news, right?

Comment does not prove lack of correlation and causation.

The evidence stands affirmative until someone can pull it apart.

Hint: kwc can't.

No this evidence:

So that's good, right?

It's good news, right?

Comment does not prove lack of correlation and causation.

The evidence stands affirmative until someone can pull it apart.

Hint: kwc can't.

Well, it wasn't really my intention to prove causation. Of course the sex ed folks are gonna wanna take credit. If the rate had jumped, they would have gotten the blame for sure.

I believe all the available numbers do seem to indicate that they (the sex ed folks) are making some progress - there is certainly stronger evidence to support that conclusion than there is to support any alternative theories that have been trotted out.

Forum List

Back