Stop Antisemitism

FBI statistics: Anti-Jewish hate crimes at record highs

From JTA:

Last year, American Jews again faced far more hate crimes than members of other religions, according to a report by the FBI.

There were 1,305 offenses committed against Jews in 2022, the FBI reported in its tally Monday of national crime statistics, far outnumbering the second-largest category, anti-Muslim crimes, of which there were 205.

That disparity is consistent with years of hate crimes reporting showing that Jewish victims far outnumber other religious targets.
The article notes a large jump in 2022 of antisemitic crimes, but adds a caveat:

Last year’s report showed a tally of 817 anti-Jewish criminal offenses, but the national increase in anti-Jewish hate crimes year over year is harder to pin down, because the FBI said the participation of local law enforcement in reporting the crimes to the FBI’s database had “significantly increased” in 2022.

If that is true, one would expect that other hate anti-religion crimes would have increased as well. But here is a chart based on these FBI statistics comparing anti-Jewish and anti-Muslim hate crimes since 2010:

Anti-Muslim hate crimes hit a peak in 2017 and then went back down to roughly the rate it has been at since the 2000s. The changes in FBI data gathering did not affect the number of Muslim hate crimes; indeed, if they have better reporting, that means that anti-Muslim hate crimes decreased.

But anti-Jewish hate crimes tallied are the highest they've ever been since at least 2004. The ADL, using a slightly different FBI statistic, says "Reported single-bias anti-Jewish hate crime incidents in the country sharply rose by more than 37%, reaching 1,122 incidents, the highest number recorded in almost three decades and the second-highest number on record."

I don't think that the FBI counts anti-Zionist hate crimes as anti-Jewish, which means that the actual number is probably much higher.

Chances are, the 2023 numbers will be worse yet.

The NYPD distributed this image of a man wanted in connection with an incident in which a woman was punched. She told police that when she asked her assailant why he'd hit her, he said, You are Jewish.

The NYPD distributed this image of a man wanted in connection with an incident in which a woman was punched. She told police that when she asked her assailant why he’d hit her, he said, “You are Jewish.” Courtesy of NYPD

A man punched a woman in the face in a New York City subway station, then told her he did it because “you are Jewish,” police said.

The assailant made the statement after she asked him why he hit her, according to the New York Police Department.

The incident took place Saturday at 11:30 p.m. inside the passageway leading to the No. 7 train at the Grand Central subway station at 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue.

The victim, 29, who police said had done nothing to provoke the random attack, suffered minor injuries.

The NYPD Hate Crimes Unit is investigating.

Dear fellow Jews of the Left,

In the wake of the most savage butchery meted out upon our people since the Holocaust, you’re glued to social media. You may not be able to sleep or enjoy anything. Our deepest wounds were ripped open last Shabbat, and you’ve been learning how few degrees of separation there are between you and the 1,400 innocent Jews who were bound, burned alive, shot, beheaded, and dismembered by Hamas terrorists on October 7th.

And yet somehow that’s not what feels the worst.
What feels the worst is that rather than reacting with unanimous horror, people and institutions around the world reveled in the slaughter. In Sydney, hundreds of demonstrators yelled “gas the Jews”; in New York City, demonstrators cheered the “glorious victory of the resistance” and a swastika surfaced among a sea of pro-Hamas protesters; Stars of David were spray-painted on Jewish homes in Berlin. And some of your friends either minimized or utterly dismissed your anguish to your face.

It’s terrifying to feel the coldness of one’s friends. You feel the walls closing in, the floor dropping from beneath you. Every psychological handhold you lean on (“America is safe,” “Israel is safe,” “the Nazis are dead”) turns to sand, and you fall down.

I know, because I went through this two years ago. During the last major round of fighting between Israel and Hamas—a minor skirmish compared to what’s unfolding now—I posted about the alarming spike in anti-Jewish hate crimes in the U.S. I’ll never forget the sickening mixture of silence and derision from my left-wing peers. I was accused of trying to distract from Palestinian suffering—of “crying antisemitism,” as they say.

And I fell apart. For a few days, I felt like the country was sliding inexorably toward the unthinkable fate of 1940s Germany. After all, I thought, if people will shrug off beatings and swastikas, they’ll shrug off stabbings and shootings. And then they’ll shrug off pogroms—at least if the perpetrators claim to be freeing Palestine. I finally wrote an open letter calling out this blind spot. It went viral, but mostly just among other Jews.

I was waking up to the apathy of the same left which claims to care about marginalized groups and claims to “uplift” their voices; validate their truths; dismantle the systems that oppress them. And now we are waking up to an even starker truth: that millions of people love dead Jews and can’t stand living ones. That many of the sympathetic check-ins we received after the 2018 Tree of Life shooting in Pittsburgh came not because innocent Jews had been murdered, but because they were murdered by the wrong kind of person, and for the wrong reasons.

That’s when I realized: Jews are in an abusive relationship with our progressive friends. It’s terrifying to realize this. You’ll cry. You’ll tremble. Your mind will race. And you’ll react in one of several ways:

Go silent. You avoid discussing the situation at all. You pretend the massacre and the mob praising it will spare you if you play spiritually dead.

Rationalize. You blame your own people for the massacre. You loudly condemn Israel, hoping the forces of hatred will claim only Jews with the audacity to declare their right to live.

Minimize. You tell yourself that the friends justifying the slaughter of your 1,400 cousins are motivated by misplaced principles, that they just don’t understand, that they just need to learn a bit more history.

These are all understandable responses. They’re survival strategies that many of us have tried to use for centuries. Ultimately, they never work.
But there’s one other option: confronting the abuse directly. Refusing to be gaslit into thinking that an organization openly founded on the principle of killing Jews somehow doesn’t really hate Jews, or that their apologists—some of whom you go to school or work with—aren’t tragically complicit in that hatred.

The idea of speaking out may terrify you. Your body and soul will contract, anticipating not only the jeering of your peers but also the shattering of your self-image. I’m not like my ultra-Zionist uncle. I’m not a Republican. I’m a peace-lover, a secularist, a progressive liberal.

The one thing you indisputably are, though, is a Jew. It’s not up to you. You can reject your Jewishness and it won’t matter. Even after Spain forcibly converted many Jews in 1391, it established an Inquisition to torment the converts (or “conversos”) it suspected of practicing Judaism secretly.

Why did Spain do this? Were the Jews of Spain misbehaving somehow? No. Abuse is not a reflection of the victim’s behavior, but the abuser’s. Jews were targeted because, in a time of political ferment, kings and preachers needed a scapegoat.
Today, your progressive friends need a scapegoat. For imperialism, for colonialism, for white supremacy. For the indelible sins etched into their own histories. Will they leave their own “settler-colonies”? Will they stick out their own necks to be cut by the “oppressed”? No. They’ll outsource that to Jews, in keeping with a tradition based on a Jew who was tortured to death to absolve us of all sin. A Jew whose death may have been tragic, but was also necessary to redeem the world.

Why don’t we see more efforts to dismantle antisemitism? Well, for one thing, Jews make up only 0.2% of the global population. We’re outnumbered more than 110:1 by Muslims and Christians—each. So if the onus is on Jews to start the conversation—which it shouldn’t be—then we’re spread laughably thin.

Non-Jews seem to have no interest in the subject; societies are loath to name the bigotries they’re founded on, much less challenge them. The American South was built on hideous racism, but do you think antebellum Southerners went around saying, “Hi there, fellow racist! Another wonderful day for racism”? Of course not.

That society couldn’t begin to change on its own. It had to be confronted.

After thousands of years of grinding persecution, culminating in the Holocaust, Zionism and Israel represent Jewish resistance—the stubborn assertion of our right to live and the legacy of those who refused to tiptoe, rationalize, or minimize any longer.
You can assert this too. When you do, you’ll be surprised by how much of the weight lifts. You’ll walk taller. You’ll begin seeing the scorn and sanctimoniousness of friends for what it is. You’ll attract respect from surprising quarters. You’ll learn who your friends are. And, in the face of howling, vast hatred, you’ll feel unexpected peace.

Criticism of what the Israeli government does is not always antisemitism.

Criticism of what an African government does is not always racism.

Criticism of what the Israeli government does is not always antisemitism.

Criticism of what an African government does is not always racism.

[Go learn the definition of Antisemitism.]

What is the IHRA Working Definition of Antisemitism?

In 2016, the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA), which includes the United States, formally adopted the IHRA Working Definition of Antisemitism (“the IHRA Definition”). The IHRA Definition, initially published by a European Union agency in 2005, has been used by the U.S. State Department since 2010 and is sometimes referred to as the State Department’s Working Definition of Antisemitism.

The definition states:

“Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.”
Accompanying the IHRA Definition are eleven examples that “may serve as illustrations” of how antisemitism manifests contemporaneously, ranging from age-old anti-Jewish tropes, to Holocaust denial, to certain expressions of animus toward the Jewish State of Israel that may at times cross the line into antisemitism. These examples are important, because while certain longstanding myths animating antisemitism have stood the test of millennia, manifestations of antisemitism do change, sometimes significantly, over time and place. It is important to provide guidance built on the knowledge of experts in the field, as well as the lived experience of large segments of the Jewish population.

If I criticize Netanyahu, am I an amti-semite?

Then 80 percent of Israelis are anti-semites.

---As many as 80% of Israelis believe Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu must take responsibility for the security failures exposed by the devastating Oct. 7 assault on Israeli by Hamas, a poll in the Ma'ariv newspaper showed on Friday.---

If I criticize Netanyahu, am I an amti-semite?

Then 80 percent of Israelis are anti-semites.

---As many as 80% of Israelis believe Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu must take responsibility for the security failures exposed by the devastating Oct. 7 assault on Israeli by Hamas, a poll in the Ma'ariv newspaper showed on Friday.---

No idiot. You are playing games.
And without bothering to read or watch the videos.

LEARN what antisemitism is and stop making yourself into an ass.

---"There’s a tremendous change going on in the American Jewish community. There are a lot of Jews, especially young people, who are not so quick to automatically and unconditionally support everything that Israel does. People are accepting the fact that it’s OK to be Jewish and criticise Israel."---

---"There’s a tremendous change going on in the American Jewish community. There are a lot of Jews, especially young people, who are not so quick to automatically and unconditionally support everything that Israel does. People are accepting the fact that it’s OK to be Jewish and criticise Israel."---

You are still not dealing with Antisemitism.
Because you do NOT want to.

[ THIS is antisemitism ]

The BBC’s Spanish-language service released a program claiming that “Jewish wealth and influence” in the United States is the reason behind the United States’ ongoing support for Israel, according to a translation produced by Jewish News on October 20.

The show, Six Keys, featured BBC News Mundo presenter Gonzalo Cañada who claimed that Israel “is seen as an American enclave in the Middle East.”

In the program, Cañada claimed that Jews are a “powerful minority” in the United States.

Cañada later said that“President Biden’s stance and his quick decision to support Israel militarily are not new in American politics. Therefore, we ask ourselves. Where does this unconditional support for Israel come from?

(full article online)

Lebanese actress in trouble for not being antisemitic enough

Lebanese actress Pamela El-Kik, who has over 2 million Instagram followers, got into trouble for an antisemitic statement that wasn't antisemitic enough.

She said in an interview on Lebanon's MTV, “What I love about the Jews is that they bring each other together in the right way. This is the only thing that is right about them. Other than that, I do not like them at all.”

El-Kik was immediately pilloried for her statement that Jews have one attribute that is praiseworthy while everything else about them is awful.

She immediately issued a statement that her interview was recorded before the current fighting in Gaza, calling the Hamas terrorists "heroes."

She then posted photos of herself posing as a masked Palestinian terrorist, much to the delight of her fans.

All is forgiven!

The Lebanese might hate Hezbollah, but their antisemitism is bone-deep.

The office of The Free Press, a media organization run by Jewish journalist Bari Weiss, was defaced with antisemitic graffiti this past week, Weiss announced on Twitter Sunday afternoon.

Weiss, founder and editor of The Free Press and former New York Times writer and opinion editor, is a vocal proponent of Israel in the media.

Photos on social media show the walls of the companies’ office defaced with the words “F*** Jews” and “F*** Israel”.

The Free Press has offices in New York City and Los Angeles. It was not immediately clear which location was attacked.

“If the antisemites who did this think it will intimidate me and the journalists of @TheFP , they don’t know me, they don’t know us, and they have no idea what we stand for,” Weiss wrote on Twitter.

Instances of vandalism and intimidation against Jewish institutions have been widespread since Hamas’ attack against Israel on Oct. 7.

Last week two Jewish primary schools in the Stamford Hill section of London were doused with red paint. While in Tunisia and a territory of Spain, synagogues were attacked.

[ The Nazis are calling Jews Nazis. The ultimate Chutzpah ]

Antisemitism in the United States — already at a record high — has skyrocketed since the start of the October 7 war against Israel by Hamas. But it has also leaped in other countries as well.

According to a report released Tuesday by the New York-based Anti-Defamation League (ADL), at least 312 antisemitic incidents were reported between October 7 and October 23, a jump of nearly 400 percent over the same period in 2022.

Preliminary data from the ADL Center on Extremism indicates that reported incidents of harassment, vandalism and assault increased by 388 percent over the same period last year.

The figure includes 109 anti-Israel rallies that have taken place since Oct. 7 in which the “protesters” expressed explicit or strong implicit support for Hamas and/or violence against Jews in Israel.

Click here to see an interactive map plotting where incidents have occurred in October 2023.

“When conflict erupts in Israel, antisemitic incidents soon follow in the U.S. and globally,” noted ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt.

The ADL has also created a H.E.A.T. Map™ (Hate, Extremism, Antisemitism, Terrorism), a first-of-its-kind interactive and customizable map detailing specific incidents of hate, extremism, antisemitism and terrorism by state and nationwide that is updated monthly.

To access the interactive H.E.A.T. Map, click here.

ADL also recorded a nearly 1,000-percent increase in the daily average of violent messages mentioning Jews and Israel in white supremacist and right-wing extremist channels on the messaging platform Telegram in the days following the Hamas massacre of innocent civilians in Israel.

“It is incumbent on all leaders, from political leaders to CEOs to university presidents, to forcefully and unequivocally condemn antisemitism and terrorism,” Greenblatt said. “This isn’t hard. Words matter, and while the war in Gaza escalates, we encourage all those in positions of power to use their platforms to condemn hate and terrorism, wherever it occurs.”

Some worldwide antisemitism numbers:
Austria: According to the Jewish Community of Vienna, from October 7 to October 19, there were 76 antisemitic incidents since Oct. 7, a 300% increase.

France: According to the Minister of Interior, from October 7 to October 23, 588 antisemitic incidents have been reported to police, resulting in 336 arrests.

Germany: According to RIAS, the NGO which records antisemitic incidents in Germany, from October 7 to October 15, there was a 240% increase of antisemitic incidents since Oct 7, compared to the same time last year. 91% of those are anti-Israel related antisemitism.

UK: According to the Jewish community’s security organization, CST, from October 7 to October 23, over 600 antisemitic incidents were reported, the highest total in a 17 day period since CST began recording antisemitic incidents in 1984, and a 641% increase compared to the same period last year.

Forum List

Back