Supreme Court strikes down voter registration laws - Illegals win again.

Learning what "federalism" and how it applies to the Constitution is personal: every citizen should understand.

No.."you must have a comprehension problem"....That's personal.
Now, do you want to lose a battle of insults or have a debate.
Your move.

You don't have a chance if you want to debate with me, so you go with insults.

You don't get it. You don't understand federalism, and you don't comprehend Article III.

Until you agree on common terms and definitions, you simply can argue only "but" "but" and so forth.
I insulted YOU? Show me where.
Show me where I argued with "but but but"....
Prove it.

Thank you for agreeing you have a problem.

Let's begin with definitions and terms.

Give us a mainstream working definition of "federalism."

Ok, I'll play along in your childish game. If only to get this past your obsession with one term
Federalism simply defines the federal government's role in national matters. That all other issues are left to the States.
From which thread did you find that quote?...Link it. Otherwise you made it up. And THAT will not be tolerated.
Mind your self, pal. Be warned, you will NOT attribute words to posters they did not post.
In other words, don't fuck around.

Be warned, pal, that you will be accountable for words you use. In this sphere, you are at the freshman level. Federalism is the relationship of and among the levels of government, national and the various states, each with their own constitutions and legal codes. Insist on your own definitions and facts, and you will end up looking very foolish.

fed·er·al·ism noun \ˈfe-d(ə-)rə-ˌli-zəm\

Definition of FEDERALISM

1 a often capitalized : the distribution of power in an organization (as a government) between a central authority and the constituent units — compare centralism

b : support or advocacy of this principle

Thank you for agreeing you have a problem.

Let's begin with definitions and terms.

Give us a mainstream working definition of "federalism."

Ok, I'll play along in your childish game. If only to get this past your obsession with one term
Federalism simply defines the federal government's role in national matters. That all other issues are left to the States.
From which thread did you find that quote?...Link it. Otherwise you made it up. And THAT will not be tolerated.
Mind your self, pal. Be warned, you will NOT attribute words to posters they did not post.
In other words, don't fuck around.

Justice Kennedy’s concurrence in U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton is both succinct and accurate as to its understanding of Federalism:

Federalism was our Nation's own discovery. The Framers split the atom of sovereignty. It was the genius of their idea that our citizens would have two political capacities, one state and one federal, each protected from incursion by the other. The resulting Constitution created a legal system unprecedented in form and design, establishing two orders of government, each with its own direct relationship, its own privity, its own set of mutual rights and obligations to the people who sustain it and are governed by it.

The political identity of the entire people of the Union is reinforced by the proposition, which I take to be beyond dispute, that, though limited as to its objects, the National Government is and must be controlled by the people without collateral interference by the States. McCulloch affirmed this proposition as well, when the Court rejected the suggestion that States could interfere with federal powers. "This was not intended by the American people. They did not design to make their government dependent on the States." Id., at 432. The States have no power, reserved or otherwise, over the exercise of federal authority within its proper sphere. See id., at 430 (where there is an attempt at "usurpation of a power which the people of a single State cannot give," there can be no question whether the power "has been surrendered" by the people of a single State because "[t]he right never existed"). That the States may not invade the sphere of federal sovereignty is as incontestable, in my view, as the corollary proposition that the Federal Government must be held within the boundaries of its own power when it intrudes upon matters reserved to the States. See United States v. Lopez, 514 U. S. ___ (1995).

U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995).

Be warned, pal, that you will be accountable for words you use. In this sphere, you are at the freshman level. Federalism is the relationship of and among the levels of government, national and the various states, each with their own constitutions and legal codes. Insist on your own definitions and facts, and you will end up looking very foolish.

fed·er·al·ism noun \ˈfe-d(ə-)rə-ˌli-zəm\

Definition of FEDERALISM

1 a often capitalized : the distribution of power in an organization (as a government) between a central authority and the constituent units — compare centralism

b : support or advocacy of this principle
Hey you asked for a WORKING definition. You puffed out your chest and supplied the DICTIONARY definition..Cut the crap. You have some gall lecturing ME in regards to accountability.
Get off you high horse there, sunshine. You're nothing but a rudderless ship. You sit on the fence and take the side of what you think is popular.
Fake quote me again. GO ahead. I will make you my personal cause.

I gave you the appropriate definition.

Stop the nonsense, and respond. Or go away. You are fail at this point; threaten me again, and you will be in my headlights, son, for the remainder of your days.

Federalism is a term that discusses the roles, powers, and limits of national and state governments.

Your point means nothing, 2nd.

The SCOTUS was right; Congress has ultimate authority over registration for Federal elections. The states can create all the silly rules they like for State and local elections.

Federalism means that the national government is supreme in most matters, and SCOTUS interpreting the Constitution decides in which situations it is not.

I gave you the appropriate definition.

Stop the nonsense, and respond. Or go away. You are fail at this point; threaten me again, and you will be in my headlights, son, for the remainder of your days.

You asked for a working definition. I gave you precisely that. You countered with the dictionary one.
What is your insignificant point anyway?

Federalism means that the national government is supreme in most matters, and SCOTUS interpreting the Constitution decides in which situations it is not.
No shit, Sherlock.
What's your point?
I think the SCOTUS ruling while unpopular is correct. Under the supremacy clause of the US Constitution, a State cannot make law which supersedes existing federal law.
This thread has run its course.

Thank you for agreeing, which is what you should have done in the first place.

Yes, the thread is over. Unsubscribe.

The SCOTUS was right; Congress has ultimate authority over registration for Federal elections. The states can create all the silly rules they like for State and local elections.

"silly rules" like stopping mexican nationals from voting in Arizona elections....you're kidding right? :eusa_eh:

"silly rules" like stopping mexican nationals from voting in Arizona elections....you're kidding right? :eusa_eh:

If they don't have an official residence in Arizona they can't register for Federal voting.

Arizona can require voter ID in order to vote for State and local elections.

You want to change the constitution then go thru the amending process. The SCOTUS can't change it and then call it case law and say it can't be challenged.

That's an argument that the courts have shot down time and again.

SCOTUS opines on the law, and you get to obey it.

Exactly. The unelected scotus says it has final say on every issue and no one can disagree with them!!!! The constitution gives them no such authority. They just grabbed it from the states.

Is the Supreme Court obligated to uphold a law that is unconstitutional?

Exactly. The unelected scotus says it has final say on every issue and no one can disagree with them!!!! The constitution gives them no such authority. They just grabbed it from the states.

Wrong. The People through the States can amend the Constitution if they don't like how SCOTUS rules on an issue.

I think the SCOTUS ruling while unpopular is correct. Under the supremacy clause of the US Constitution, a State cannot make law which supersedes existing federal law.
This thread has run its course.

The supremacy clause does NOT say that, you idiot. It says federal laws are above state laws only if the federal laws are constitutional. And by the tenth amendment, the states have the authority to decide what federal laws are constitutional. READ AND THINK

Forum List

Back