Thank you, Donald Trump

We need a minimum effective tax rate. 5%, 10%, whatever. This is ridiculous, but the phonies in DC don't want to upset their biggest contributors.

Their top priorities are fundraising and re-election, not the people.
Blame Trump!

• Fake News
Reactions: DBA
gipper,

It is not just the complexity it was written by lobbyists paid off by wealthy influences...

Trump doesn't have to cheat but used the rules which gave him an unfair advantage in the first place..

Even if Trump cheated there isn't enough skilled IRS agents to follow them up...

And what do the GOP congress want to do, get rid of more IRS staff... Make it easier for the rich to cheat if they want..

It is the equivalent of the rich defunding the police for there crimes...Wealthy people can cheat on there taxes and make more money than robbing 10 banks or selling drugs for a year..
If Trump’s using the tax code as all wealthy people do results in a major overhaul of the tax code, resulting in the wealthy losing these unfair privileges, he’d be a hero.

The tax code is an easy fix compared to numbers 1 and 3. Biden has tried to address the corporate side of the unfairness by including a 15% minimum tax in the IRA bill. The tax code can be simplified if we are willing to take on the special interests.

How to fix us, when we are the problem, is enormously challenging. Maybe impossible. Trump's election exposed a vulnerability I didn't think existed in America. The susceptibility of millions to be attracted to a demagogue. To be willfully ignorant on the issues. To believe in baseless conspiracy theories when the truth and the facts are readily available. I don't how to put that genie back in the bottle given the proliferation of right wing media outlets that have a biz model based on disinformation.
Nice post that confirms the OP. Yes, WE are the problem, and in a big way. It is like a festering wound that has been worsening for 150 years. From Henry George, 1879.

Now this transformation of popular government into despotism of the vilest and most degrading kind, which must inevitably result from the unequal distribution of wealth, is not a thing of the far future. It has already begun in the United States, and is rapidly going on under our eyes. That our legislative bodies are steadily deteriorating in standard; that men of the highest ability and character are compelled to eschew politics, and the arts of the jobber count for more than the reputation of the statesman; that voting is done more recklessly and the power of money is increasing; that it is harder to arouse the people to the necessity of reforms and more difficult to carry them out; that political differences are ceasing to be differences of principle, and abstract ideas are losing their power; that parties are passing into the control of what in general government would be oligarchies and dictatorships; are all evidences of political decline. The type of modern growth is the great city. Here are to be found the greatest wealth and the deepest poverty. And it is here that popular government has most clearly broken down. In all the great American cities there is to-day as clearly defined a ruling class as.in the most aristocratic countries of the world. Its members carry wards in their pockets, make up the slates for nominating conventions, distribute offices as they bargain together, and-though they toil not, neither do they spin-wear the best of raiment and spend money lavishly. They are men of power, whose favor the ambitious must court and whose vengeance he must avoid. Who are these men? The wise, the good, the learned men who have earned the confidence of their fellow citizens by the purity of their lives, the splendor of their talents, their probity in public trusts, their deep study of the problems of government? No; they are gamblers, saloon keepers, pugilists, or worse, who have made a trade of controlling votes and of buying and selling offices and official acts. They stand to the government of these cities as the Prretorian Guards did to that of declining Rome. He who would wear the purple, fill the curule chair, or have the fasces carried before him, must go or send his messengers to their camps, give them donatives and make them promises. It is through these men that the rich corporations and powerful pecuniary interests can pack the Senate and the bench with their creatures. It is these men who make School Directors, Supervisors, Assessors, members of the Legislature, Congressmen. Why, there are many election districts in the United States in which a George Washington, a Beniamin Franklin or a Thomas Jefferson could no more go to the lower house of a State Legislature than under the Ancient Regime a base-born peasant could become a Marshal of France. Their very character would be an insuperable disqualification.
There is a lot to unpack there, and the entire chapter, "How Modern Civilizations may Decline" is replete with dense passages like that. From the beginning, "inevitable result from the unequal distribution of wealth". It is called the "Lorentz Curve" and has continued to steepen to the point that now it is in dangerous territory as symbolized by January 6.

Legislative bodies deteriorating in standards, boy howdy ain't that the truth. We now not only have congressional representatives that don't have college degrees, hell, we have high school dropouts. The average IQ of the Republicans voting against McCarty can't approach 100. And then there is Santos--a poster child for George's statement.

But from the same chapter George clearly elucidates the problem of US.

To give the suffrage to tramps, to paupers, to men to whom the chance to labor is a boon, to men who must beg, or steal, or starve, is to invoke destruction. To put political power in the hands of men embittered and degraded by poverty is to tie firebrands to foxes and turn them loose amid the standing corn; it is to put out the eyes of a Samson and to twine his arms around the pillars of national life.

4 pages in it seems that people just do not care the tax system is fucked up and that people making a billion dollars pay a lower percent of the income than they do

Hell...when you bring up the fact that most of the 1% will pay no more social security tax after January 4 (today)--the same tax that they will pay through out the year...they actually make the argument that it is fair that the 1% gets by.

4 pages in it seems that people just do not care the tax system is fucked up and that people making a billion dollars pay a lower percent of the income than they do
Gotta bear in mind this place misrepresents America with a vengeance. We have quite the collection of miserable, lonely people whose only thrill in life appears to be collectively criticizing everyone else's attempts to solve problems. Thankfully, We The People, while remaining hard on ourselves, are far better than portrayed by any corporate media. We do fucking care and will fight back very quickly once past our collective tipping point of righteous anger.

Gotta bear in mind this place misrepresents America with a vengeance. We have quite the collection of miserable, lonely people whose only thrill in life appears to be collectively criticizing everyone else's attempts to solve problems. Thankfully, We The People, while remaining hard on ourselves, are far better than portrayed by any corporate media. We do fucking care and will fight back very quickly once past our collective tipping point of righteous anger.

You have far greater faith in the American people than I do.

We need a minimum effective tax rate. 5%, 10%, whatever. This is ridiculous, but the phonies in DC don't want to upset their biggest contributors.

Their top priorities are fundraising and re-election, not the people.
Which is why the people need to vote for campaign finance reform. Though I acknowledge there is an obstacle making effective reform difficult. The conservative SC.

I recall having a conversation with a friend about a month before the 2016 election. He's a Repub. He was telling me how despicable Hillary was as an explanation for why he was supporting Trump. Admittedly, we didn't know back then how catastrophically bad Trump would be for the country. The damage he would cause. How despicable he is in every way.
But we knew enough to see he was unqualified for the job. And nitwits like you voted for him anyway. A colossally bad error of judgement for which we have paid a terrible price.
LOL tell us what he did so bad at be specific.

This is why I don't bother with you and my other creepy leg humpers. You continually lie.

You're great at humping my leg, but lousy at being honest.

A few examples, of many, with links. Just to rub your face in your bullshit. I won't expect an apology. You are what you are. <flick>

Post 74, After The Ball Drops Tonight, It'll Be Back To Reality

Post 7, The Plot Against the King.

Post 3,

Post 41, Republicans, get rid of Trump and the white nationalist type people and you will beat democratics.

Post 31, January 6th committee ignorance

Liar.
if its not about trump....why is 90% of the shit you put up...about that guy you say its not about?...maybe you should be honest mac and start posting without mentioning the fuckers name...

if its not about trump....why is 90% of the shit you put up...about that guy you say its not about?...maybe you should be honest mac and start posting without mentioning the fuckers name...
I've explained it a thousand times. I explain it in THE POSTS YOU JUST QUOTED.

God damn, you're boring. Or you just lack the ability to understand. Or both.

In his own grotesque, perverse way, Donald Trump has put a mirror up to America's face and taught us three critical lessons:

1. We need to examine how a society can become so sick that it would put someone like him in its ultimate position of authority -- the true TDS.

2. His taxes have driven home the fact that our tax system has holes so big that you can drive a semitruck through them, and must be fixed immediately.

3. We have to fix a political system in which empty, soulless people in media and politics are incentivized and rewarded for enabling a person like this.

As I always say, this has never been about Donald Trump. It's about us. Will this be an educational experience for us? Doubtful, but we can certainly hope.
Glad to see you finally admit that Trump did nothing illegal.

I recall having a conversation with a friend about a month before the 2016 election. He's a Repub. He was telling me how despicable Hillary was as an explanation for why he was supporting Trump. Admittedly, we didn't know back then how catastrophically bad Trump would be for the country. The damage he would cause. How despicable he is in every way.
But we knew enough to see he was unqualified for the job. And nitwits like you voted for him anyway. A colossally bad error of judgement for which we have paid a terrible price.
sorry berg i didnt vote for that asswipe...your problem,just like all the other die hard democrats here..."if you dont agree with me....you must be a trump supporter"....take your head out of your parties collective ass berg....you might see something you were told doesnt exist....

Hell...when you bring up the fact that most of the 1% will pay no more social security tax after January 4 (today)--the same tax that they will pay through out the year...they actually make the argument that it is fair that the 1% gets by.
The federal level of taxation is always spoken about. Lost in this is the massive tax increases in local, city, state and regional taxes with everything else included in quasi government or monopoly charges, fees, fines and more. And this has risen much more then federal ways. The federal income tax though rises up pretty quickly even in the lowest brackets.

Forum List

Back