Thanks Barack… 3 West Virginia Coal Plants to Close

I believe your plants in the OP met every one of the below criteria.....

Many plants without this pollution-control equipment will soon be retired due to their age and inefficiency. A CAP review found that utilities plan to shut down at least 80 of these aging units—closures announced before the EPA proposed the air toxics reduction rules. These plants are 52 years old on average, with the oldest unit built during World War II. Many of these units have little or no pollution controls, are relatively small, and utilized infrequently.

Mercury Falling: Many Power Plants Already Have Equipment to Slash Mercury, Toxic Contamination

The plants in your OP were ALL more than 50 years old (with the oldest nearly 100 years old!!), they are small and used infrequently due to the high cost of running them (even without pollution controls). If they were newer and/or larger they could EASILY have been fitted with ACI controls and continued to run.

We already know that, turd. Try telling us something we don't know. The fact is all power plants have different operating costs. No two are the same. When the EPA raises those costs, plants there were formerly profitable to run become unprofitable. I fail to understand why you're trying to argue this point. It's not even debatable.

Ahh... Freddie Mercury Jr... you have embraced the Mercury!

Also hey wait, since when do you give a shit about poor children? I thought you were a conservative? Poor Children are first on your chopping block!

One thing we know for sure: you don't give a shit about poor children. You proved it in this thread.

I enjoy my job working at a nonprofit that serves children, poor children included. I support policies that benefit children as well, poor children especially. So please pray tell me how I don't give a shit about poor children?

I care about you too. You're special in my heart little one.

Upgrading these filthy old plants would make about as much sense as putting a rear-view mirror on a hay wagon.

Well Jeez dude, if you don't like the EPA data and call the AMA data bogus, you don't leave much to post. The state agencies (whom are influenced by what largest industry in W. Va?) even admit that
"
in the 14 counties where the biggest coal mining operations are located residents reported higher rates of cardiopulmonary disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, hypertension, diabetes, and lung and kidney disease. In each of those counties, mining topped 4 million tons of coal a year.

"Residents of coal mining communities have long complained of impaired health. This study substantiates their claims. Those residents are at an increased risk of developing chronic heart, lung and kidney diseases," said Dr. Michael Hendryx, associate director of the Institute for Health Policy Research in West Virginia University's Department of Community Medicine and lead author of the study."

But of course, they're owned by local business so they're doing the usual "Of course it COULD just all be a really big coincidence!" thing. They like their jobs.

So okay. Ya got us. The EPA and Obama conspired to put 100 people out of work in W. Virginia, not because the facilities were old and it was discovered people were getting sick and dying or anything - nope, they did it because they hate miners. Yeah that makes sense. No "It's bad because it happened under Obama!" going on here! Got it. :lol:

We're discussing coal fired power plants here, not coal mining. The EPA claims that coal fired power plants are causing illness. I have yet to see any evidence that such is the case.

Have you tried using "Google"?

Air Transport | US EPA

One thing we know for sure: you don't give a shit about poor children. You proved it in this thread.

I enjoy my job working at a nonprofit that serves children, poor children included. I support policies that benefit children as well, poor children especially. So please pray tell me how I don't give a shit about poor children?

If you support the new EPA regulations for coal fired power plants, you support doubling the price the parents of poor children pay for electricity for now detectible environmental benefit. Making their parents poorer doesn't help poor children.

If you support the new EPA regulations for coal fired power plants, you support doubling the price the parents of poor children pay for electricity for now detectible environmental benefit. Making their parents poorer doesn't help poor children.

Wowee, the logic on this one. "You shut down excessively dirty power plants that can't follow the regulations and spew out all sorts of toxins into the environment. You don't care about poor children!"

Get back to me when I start doing something like campaign to stop your free school lunches like conservatives do. "No free school lunches for poor kids."

You gotta eat, Little Freddie Mercury Jr! Helps you to grow big and strong, but unfortunately it doesn't bolster your intelligence!

Last edited:

Wowee, the logic on this one. "You shut down excessively dirty power plants that can't follow the regulations and spew out all sorts of toxins into the environment. You don't care about poor children!"

Get back to me when I stop doing something like campaign to stop your free school lunches like conservatives do. "No free school lunches for poor kids."

You gotta eat, Little Freddie Mercury Jr!
So... a tenuous CHANCE at dying from some pollutant caused disease which a direct causation cannot be established on one end....

Or starvation, or death by exposure on the other hand because there's no jobs and power's too expensive.

Hmmmmm.... what to choose... what to choose....

funny-pictures-basic-math-101.jpg

Many plants without this pollution-control equipment will soon be retired due to their age and inefficiency. A CAP review found that utilities plan to shut down at least 80 of these aging units—closures announced before the EPA proposed the air toxics reduction rules. These plants are 52 years old on average, with the oldest unit built during World War II. Many of these units have little or no pollution controls, are relatively small, and utilized infrequently.

Mercury Falling: Many Power Plants Already Have Equipment to Slash Mercury, Toxic Contamination

The plants in your OP were ALL more than 50 years old (with the oldest nearly 100 years old!!), they are small and used infrequently due to the high cost of running them (even without pollution controls). If they were newer and/or larger they could EASILY have been fitted with ACI controls and continued to run.

We already know that, turd. Try telling us something we don't know. The fact is all power plants have different operating costs. No two are the same. When the EPA raises those costs, plants there were formerly profitable to run become unprofitable. I fail to understand why you're trying to argue this point. It's not even debatable.

And what else that you don't seem to understand is that the regs were applied to ALL plants and very few already had controls in place (including my own that was built in the 70's which is considered newer by most measurements).

Something else you don't seem to understand is that those plants were NOT profitable to begin with if they were only using them as peakers. If a plant is making a profit then you want to "baseload" that plant. We have peakers too that we only use when the cost of a megawatt makes them profitable to run. Otherwise they just sit and COST you money (like those plants in your OP).

Something else you don't seem to understand is what makes a plant "profitable" is its ability to sell its power on the open market (thanks to deregulation).

Bottom line? Those plants were old (one was nearly 100 years old!!), worn out and ready to be shut down. Did the regs speed it up? Maybe, maybe not. They make a convenient scapegoat. But the lack of regs merely put off the inevitable.

I'd sure like to talk with the person who wrote the article in the OP. He obviously didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about, especially given the title.

And what else that you don't seem to understand is that the regs were applied to ALL plants and very few already had controls in place (including my own that was built in the 70's which is considered newer by most measurements).

Something else you don't seem to understand is that those plants were NOT profitable to begin with if they were only using them as peakers. If a plant is making a profit then you want to "baseload" that plant. We have peakers too that we only use when the cost of a megawatt makes them profitable to run. Otherwise they just sit and COST you money (like those plants in your OP).

Something else you don't seem to understand is what makes a plant "profitable" is its ability to sell its power on the open market (thanks to deregulation).

Bottom line? Those plants were old (one was nearly 100 years old!!), worn out and ready to be shut down. Did the regs speed it up? Maybe, maybe not. They make a convenient scapegoat. But the lack of regs merely put off the inevitable.

I'd sure like to talk with the person who wrote the article in the OP. He obviously didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about, especially given the title.
Well no shit. that's why most natural gas plants ARE peakers, and the old coal is too. The modern nukes, hydro and upgraded coal plants on the other hand carry the majority of the load for good reason. Could it POSSIBLY be a good idea to build new coal plants that are much cleaner or nukes and help keep us from relying on century old equipment and facilities? Noooooooooo.... we need those jokes of utilities, "GREEN" energy sources that are unproven, unreliable and weak.

Last edited:
These old plants need to be retired.
I would like you to go to the families of each of the 105 people who will lose their jobs and tell that to their faces.
It is my hope one or more of them kick your pinko liberal ass clear across the Appalachian Mountains.
It is also my hope you some day find yourself unemployed due to the Obamessiah's short sighted and idiotic decisions.

There are several reasons why filthy old outdated coal-fired power plants are shutting down:

Coal on the Ropes: In One Week, 4,099 MW of U.S. Coal Plants Are Set to Close or Hung Up in Court

By Stephen Lacey

In less than one week, eight U.S. coal plants representing 4,099 MW of capacity have been put on the chopping block for closure or have been delayed in court due to environmental concerns. It is yet more proof of the major changes taking place in the American coal industry.

The dirtiest and oldest coal plants are being shut down in greater numbers because of

•cheap natural gas
•rising coal prices
•strengthening environmental standards
•more utilities embracing energy efficiency and demand response
•improving cost-competitiveness of solar and wind and other renewables​

At the same time, a strong movement against coal is preventing new facilities from going forward.

More: Coal on the Ropes: In One Week, 4,099 MW of U.S. Coal Plants Are Set to Close or Hung Up in Court | ThinkProgress

Utility engineers and accountants should decide when they are retired, not politicians or imbeciles like you.

Have you ever driven behind a fifteen year old car that is burning oil so bad you can't see twenty feet in front of you and you are choking to death from the fumes? Well, the utility engineer and accountant of that vehicle has determined that so long as that car can get them where they are going, then it is still good to go. Of course, everyone else understands it's time for that vehicle to meet the scrap yard.

There are several reasons why filthy old outdated coal-fired power plants are shutting down:

Coal on the Ropes: In One Week, 4,099 MW of U.S. Coal Plants Are Set to Close or Hung Up in Court

By Stephen Lacey

In less than one week, eight U.S. coal plants representing 4,099 MW of capacity have been put on the chopping block for closure or have been delayed in court due to environmental concerns. It is yet more proof of the major changes taking place in the American coal industry.

The dirtiest and oldest coal plants are being shut down in greater numbers because of

•cheap natural gas
•rising coal prices
•strengthening environmental standards
•more utilities embracing energy efficiency and demand response
•improving cost-competitiveness of solar and wind and other renewables​

At the same time, a strong movement against coal is preventing new facilities from going forward.

More: Coal on the Ropes: In One Week, 4,099 MW of U.S. Coal Plants Are Set to Close or Hung Up in Court | ThinkProgress
who, praytell... does this help? Who does it hurt, and why do you care?

Get back to me when I stop doing something like campaign to stop your free school lunches like conservatives do. "No free school lunches for poor kids."

So... a tenuous CHANCE at dying from some pollutant caused disease which a direct causation cannot be established on one end....

Or starvation, or death by exposure on the other hand because there's no jobs and power's too expensive.

Hmmm... you remember that whole shitstorm about conservatives cutting off heating oil programs for the poor? Yeah... wait, you're telling me that was a mistake? You're telling me that liberals are somehow anti-poor? Do you have ANY idea what's going on in this country regarding the class wars of poor vs rich? Yeah... those liberals... always against the poor!

Also... mercury is 'some pollutant' to you? And half of all mercury pollution in the atmosphere being caused by humans isn't a problem for you?

Last edited:
I would like you to go to the families of each of the 105 people who will lose their jobs and tell that to their faces.
It is my hope one or more of them kick your pinko liberal ass clear across the Appalachian Mountains.
It is also my hope you some day find yourself unemployed due to the Obamessiah's short sighted and idiotic decisions.

You are worried about the people losing those jobs under these pretenses, but if the company decided to shut down the plant so they could move the jobs to Mexico, then you would be telling us that it's a business decision and too fucking bad for the employees.

Utility engineers and accountants should decide when they are retired, not politicians or imbeciles like you.

Have you ever driven behind a fifteen year old car that is burning oil so bad you can't see twenty feet in front of you and you are choking to death from the fumes? Well, the utility engineer and accountant of that vehicle has determined that so long as that car can get them where they are going, then it is still good to go. Of course, everyone else understands it's time for that vehicle to meet the scrap yard.
false comparison. broken car to properly functioning plant... unless you know something is not working properly.

Hmmm... you remember that whole shitstorm about conservatives cutting off heating oil programs for the poor? Yeah... wait, you're telling me that was a mistake? You're telling me that liberals are somehow anti-poor? Do you have ANY idea what's going on in this country regarding the class wars of poor vs rich? Yeah... those liberals... always against the poor!

Also... mercury is 'some pollutant' to you? And half of all mercury pollution in the atmosphere being caused by humans isn't a problem for you?
Is the mercury in my CFL... WHEN it breaks, any different from my thermometer? Is it possibly more dangerous than the emissions from a coal fired plant? Some sort of 'atomic anomoly' that makes it... better for me?

Plus another false comparison. This is not a charity program, it's a job. about 100 families worth of jobs. What are you going to replace them with, if you arbitrarily for the sake of a sleight unproven link to pollution caused diseases down wind?

This isn't PG&E with Hexachromium-6 here, Erin Brockovich. That showed a direct CAUSAL LINK from pollution to deaths. And the lawyers still got the most of it and took YEARS for the appeals to finish. In the mean time, those people got shafted.

Your logic makes about as much sense as continuing to have wars so defense contractor employees can have a job.

Coal is dirty, polluting, unhealthy - and destructive to the planet.

Mountaintop Removal Mining - High Resolution Photos

Forum List

Back