The battle for the soul of America.

This one IS NO different. Watching the debacle of that first debate or whatever that show of massive incompetence was just proves it.

Asking a black man to pass by a statue honoring someone that fought to keep his ancestors in slavery as he goes to the courthouse to pay his taxes is wrong.
I guess it depends on your historical perspective

the fact is that most black Americans TODAY would not be US citizens living in America if not for slavery

instead of 13% blacks could very well be 1% of the population

that does not make slavery right, or excuse Jim Crow

but growing up in the richest and best nation in the world with a chip on your shoulder and hate in your heart when there is so much positive to be had is stupid at best

One should not have to walk past a statue honoring someone that fought to keep you ancestors in slavery as you go to the courthouse to pay your taxes.

Asking a black man to pass by a statue honoring someone that fought to keep his ancestors in slavery as he goes to the courthouse to pay his taxes is wrong.

Just because "historically" we did it does not make it right.

such bullshit. In New Orleans we have had a statue of Lee on Lee circle for over a hundred years, hundreds of thousands of blacks and whites have passed that statue every day and no one ever claimed to be offended until last year. What changed? Now the statue is gone, is the city better? is the crime rate down? are the potholes fixed? is the flooding stopped? Who is better off because a statue is gone? the covid shutdown and our incompetent mayor have damaged this city much more than any statue.

sure, there are some bad things in our history, but to pretend that they never happened is to risk repeating them. We need to learn from history, not try to rewrite it using today's perceptions of right and wrong.

NOLA also has a statue of slaves in chains. When I saw that statue, my initial reaction was, well that was F'ed up!; instead of reacting that we should bring slavery back.
Once again, statues note history, not necessarily promote history!

The primary purpose of statues is to note history, not necessarily to promote history.

The problem is, people tend to judge historical events by today’s context.

I wonder how we will be viewed 200 years from now. Horrendous activities still going on in the present day.

Organised pedophilia in Great Britain, slavery ongoing in Africa, for starters.

We will be judged by future generations for the things we do also. We may not see things as wrong today that those in the future do. I do not expect them to place monuments for the things they understand as wrong.

That was then. This is now. None of us were around to experience the thinking and mentality of former times.

Even in our own lifetimes, attitudes have changed.

And? That makes it OK to still honor those who did those things?

‘Honour’ is a strange word to use.

It's an accurate word to use.

Speak for yourself. Don’t include me.

such bullshit. In New Orleans we have had a statue of Lee on Lee circle for over a hundred years, hundreds of thousands of blacks and whites have passed that statue every day and no one ever claimed to be offended until last year. What changed? Now the statue is gone, is the city better? is the crime rate down? are the potholes fixed? is the flooding stopped? Who is better off because a statue is gone? the covid shutdown and our incompetent mayor have damaged this city much more than any statue.

sure, there are some bad things in our history, but to pretend that they never happened is to risk repeating them. We need to learn from history, not try to rewrite it using today's perceptions of right and wrong.

NOLA also has a statue of slaves in chains. When I saw that statue, my initial reaction was, well that was F'ed up!; instead of reacting that we should bring slavery back.

Statues are placed as an honor to that person.

This type of reality is completely dismissed by leftists feelings.

The primary purpose of statues is to note history, not necessarily to promote history.

I wonder how we will be viewed 200 years from now. Horrendous activities still going on in the present day.

We will be judged by future generations for the things we do also. We may not see things as wrong today that those in the future do. I do not expect them to place monuments for the things they understand as wrong.

That was then. This is now. None of us were around to experience the thinking and mentality of former times.

You and I are largely irrelevant in this conversation. Statues are placed to honor someone. We may not still honor what that person did to get that honor but that's all the more reason to move the statue.

One should not have to walk past a statue honoring someone that fought to keep you ancestors in slavery as you go to the courthouse to pay your taxes.
now you are repeating yourself since you said exactly the same thing just 2 posts before

there is a sickness brewing in the black community that goes way beyond statues of Confederate generals

now you are repeating yourself since you said exactly the same thing just 2 posts before

there is a sickness brewing in the black community that goes way beyond statues of Confederate generals

No one has countered what I said yet. I understand that black people offend you. That's long been understood.

You and I are largely irrelevant in this conversation. Statues are placed to honor someone. We may not still honor what that person did to get that honor but that's all the more reason to move the statue.

Is this how you see the whole thread? Honouring or dishonouring statues?

You haven’t even mentioned the Constitution.

Nor have you made an argument for that.

Perhaps I would. But not with you.

LOL..........you have no valid argument here.

LOL..........you have no valid argument here.

You’re correct. It’s impossible to have one. It must have expired long ago.

Did no one complain or did you simply not listen? No one is pretending things in the past never happened. The argument is that we shouldn't be honoring those who did those things in the public square.

Only one perception and your only perception.
That could be a problem.

Did no one complain or did you simply not listen? No one is pretending things in the past never happened. The argument is that we shouldn't be honoring those who did those things in the public square.

Only one perception and your only perception.
That could be a problem.

Except it's not just me.

Obviously those same beliefs still are around or you wouldn't be offended.
I should not be offended that black people hate me for the color of my skin?

Maybe you should ask yourself why that is.

the Black Lies Matter movement have become the Bull Connors and KKK of the 21st Century

You are the one arguing to keep the vestiges of that time in place.

Forum List

Back