The confederates were assholes but knocking down their statues makes you an asshole too

Monuments go up after people die, that's not unique to this situation.
Really? Everyone gets a monument or do people who did something important and noteworthy?

A monument is to honor. We don’t honor people who made such enormous mistakes.

Their actions were important and noteworthy, even if they lost, and even if part of the cause they were fighting for was wrong by our standards today.
So tell me who gets a monument for doing something “noteworthy” but was wrong?

Well just look at Columbus. Look at Jefferson and Washington. hell look at Andrew Jackson. You can find "wrong" things about all of them.

Overseas look at Cromwell, Look at Maximillian Robspierre.

Even Lenin has a statue of him in the US.
Yes, but there are a lot of things to celebrate about Jefferson, for example. His defining characteristic was not his slave holding but his contribution to our independence and early government.

Lee is being honored specifically for the thing that we consider a huge mistake.

According to current SJW metrics, one bad thing makes you an unperson.

Lee is honored for his tactical mastery, and his conciliatory tone after defeat.

"According to current SJW metrics, one bad thing makes you an unperson. "

so they subscribe to the conservative playbook

Where are conservatives trying to remove statues and memorials?

FDR was a government increasing asshole, but he won WWII. Where are the calls for his statue to come down?
Instead conservatives are trying to do away with one of the most popular government programs in US history...social security.....

So how about a trade.....you tear down FDR statues in exchange for leaving Social Security the fuck alone....deal?

if they(trump, conservatives, republicans) end social security (my money! a program I PAID for!) there WILL be a CIVIL WAR!

at some point people just can't work anymore....old and feeble....

they deserve to be able to live in comfort

That's the way I look at it.

For the most part they were also forgiven and rehabilitated assholes. If the Union wanted to execute them for treason, they could have, but that might have started a gorilla campaign we could still be fighting today.

They surrendered, they came back to the Union, and in return the people who beat them forgave them and allowed them to honor the loss and their dead as they saw fit.

There is no honor in what the Confederacy did.

There was honor at the end, when they admitted they lost, surrendered, and willingly integrated back into the United States.

They could have kept fighting non conventionally, they didn't.
Yes. The best thing you can say about the confederacy is they gave up.

Kinda.

The south spent the next 100 years finding new ways to subjugate black people. Which is part of how these statutes came to be in the first place.

The issues of the failure of Reconstruction are separate. The issue here is the honoring of fallen Confederates as well as their failed leaders.

Considering that the Jim Crow laws were subjugating blacks de jure, the installation of monuments pales in comparison.

The one exception is that one memorial in New Orleans that was specifically a memorial to an white "uprising" that happened during reconstruction.

Battle of Liberty Place Monument - Wikipedia
They are not separate. The statues were placed during segregation as a reminder of who retained power.

They are, by and large, explicit symbols of oppression.
Nancy Pelosi’s father erected several. Are you at her doorstep rioting?
IS that the same Pelosi who is using her position to get statues taken down??

Maybe her actions are mattering more than her dad's actions....

Meanwhile, dic suckers like you are gung ho about justifying the actions of not even your dad, but great great grand dads.....I would think her stance takes more balls than what you cowards are doing

For the most part they were also forgiven and rehabilitated assholes. If the Union wanted to execute them for treason, they could have, but that might have started a gorilla campaign we could still be fighting today.

They surrendered, they came back to the Union, and in return the people who beat them forgave them and allowed them to honor the loss and their dead as they saw fit.

Lefties don’t even know what honor is. Look at the things you support. Torturing puppies while live streaming, Stabbing police horses ,watching a man die as shown by looters who shot him via live streaming on social media ),shooting cops in the back of the head. Mobs beating people with bricks.

You can shut up about “ honor”.

Someone has seriously abused your mind.
I’ll care what you think when you address actual modern day slavery in a serious way instead of faux rage over statues.
What has the Trump govt to address modern day slavery?

I'll wait.....

I am sure you know all about what is happening in Mauritania don't you??

Or do you just say this shit because you think it justifies slavery??

Are you addressing it?

Really? Everyone gets a monument or do people who did something important and noteworthy?

Their actions were important and noteworthy, even if they lost, and even if part of the cause they were fighting for was wrong by our standards today.

Well just look at Columbus. Look at Jefferson and Washington. hell look at Andrew Jackson. You can find "wrong" things about all of them.

Yes, but there are a lot of things to celebrate about Jefferson, for example. His defining characteristic was not his slave holding but his contribution to our independence and early government.

Lee is being honored specifically for the thing that we consider a huge mistake.

Lee is honored for his tactical mastery, and his conciliatory tone after defeat.

You’re right. Lee was excellent at leading an army of Americans to kill thousands upon thousands of other Americans for no reason.

Is that something to celebrate?

Confederates should always be considered great American heroes and honored by all...including blacks.
They wanted to continue saving young Africans from dying terrible deaths in their primitive homeland. They were courageous enough to take up arms against a tyrannical government depriving them of constitutional rights.
Ask yourself this very scary question; why haven’t any blacks relocated back to their homelands to live that amazing life they missed out on?
Ask any black of today if he/she would push the magic button that would turn back time and allow them to be born in the jungles of Africa?
The bottom line...modern day black folks have benefited tremendously from the slavery endured by their ancestors.
This shit isn’t even debatable...but it is terrifying for the nutless.

Lefties don’t even know what honor is. Look at the things you support. Torturing puppies while live streaming, Stabbing police horses ,watching a man die as shown by looters who shot him via live streaming on social media ),shooting cops in the back of the head. Mobs beating people with bricks.

I’ll care what you think when you address actual modern day slavery in a serious way instead of faux rage over statues.

I'll wait.....

Are you addressing it?
I actually donated to an organization fighting against it.....

I also linked you a story to provide you with more information about it -- so you can actually know what the fuck you are talking about instead of just using it as a deflection....

You’re right. Lee was excellent at leading an army of Americans to kill thousands upon thousands of other Americans for no reason.

Um, that's what happens in a Civil War where the rebels lose, both sides try to beat each other, and both sides are the same side (before and after).

I'll wait.....

Are you addressing it?

I also linked you a story to provide you with more information about it -- so you can actually know what the fuck you are talking about instead of just using it as a deflection....
Well the left is spending billions fighting faux racism and tearing down statues in the United States. Why aren’t they marching in the streets and rioting for actual slavery and the people brutalized by it?

I already know the answer to this...do you?

Um, that's what happens in a Civil War where the rebels lose, both sides try to beat each other, and both sides are the same side (before and after).

Exacrlty the reason why civil wars aren’t celebrated in any rational society.

The English Civil War is re-enacted. The French Revolution is celebrated.

I'll wait.....

Are you addressing it?

Well the left is spending billions fighting faux racism and tearing down statues in the United States. Why aren’t they marching in the streets and rioting for actual slavery and the people brutalized by it?

You asked about slavery in other places...I asked you what has Trump done about it...and you didn't have an answer...

Anymore deflections??

Confederates should always be considered great American heroes and honored by all...including blacks.
They wanted to continue saving young Africans from dying terrible deaths in their primitive homeland. They were courageous enough to take up arms against a tyrannical government depriving them of constitutional rights.
Ask yourself this very scary question; why haven’t any blacks relocated back to their homelands to live that amazing life they missed out on?
Ask any black of today if he/she would push the magic button that would turn back time and allow them to be born in the jungles of Africa?
The bottom line...modern day black folks have benefited tremendously from the slavery endured by their ancestors.
This shit isn’t even debatable...but it is terrifying for the nutless.

And Hitler want Jews just to have a shower to keep clean...

This isn’t a re-enactment. The French Revolution lead to greater individual liberty and elimination of the feudal system. Which French hero fighting to maintain an oppressive monarchy do they celebrate to this day?

There is no analogy.

This isn’t a re-enactment. The French Revolution lead to greater individual liberty and elimination of the feudal system. Which French hero fighting to maintain an oppressive monarchy do they celebrate to this day?

There is no analogy.

The French revolution also ate itself and executed 10's of thousands of its own. It also led to the directorate and the Empire.

Memorial to Louis XVI and Marie Antoinettte.

330px-Grab_Louis_XVI_und_Marie_Antoinette.JPG

There is no analogy.

The French revolution also ate itself and executed 10's of thousands of its own. It also led to the directorate and the Empire.

Lost causers love to lose........

There is no analogy.

And orwellian ***** like you love to rewrite history.

I'll wait.....

Are you addressing it?

You asked about slavery in other places...I asked you what has Trump done about it...and you didn't have an answer...

Anymore deflections??
I asked why leftists aren’t protesting and rioting in the streets of countries like Africa in protest. And you tell me what the UN just barely did. And?? Get your asses to Africa and riot if slavery is your issue. Why aren’t the Democrats in power outraged and on the news talking about these autrocities?

There is no analogy.

And orwellian ***** like you love to rewrite history.
the lost cause strategy is the epitome of revisionist history...

Which is why I enjoy you morons looking like idiots -- getting destroyed over and over again

Just like the Confederates did

I'll wait.....

Are you addressing it?

Anymore deflections??
I asked why leftists aren’t protesting and rioting in the streets of countries like Africa in protest. And you tell me what the UN just barely did. And?? Get your asses to Africa and riot if slavery is your issue. Why aren’t the Democrats in power outraged and on the news talking about these autrocities?
Maybe because when your own house is on fire, you put that fire out first....

But since the US has a whole government -- with a president who claims he has done more for blks than any other president in US history --why hasn't he said shit about it?

Better yet...what have you done about it? Besides use it to justify slavery ....which makes you a bitch

Forum List

Back