The GOP's New Fake Racial History

any argument you have is with reality and the GOP Chairman who apologized -- to the black community and everyone else -- who lived through those years up 'til now.

You can have all the internal arguments with yourself you want. You can raise straw men and red herrings and strike them down. :clap2: but what you cannot do is ignore reality here.

A sitting Chairman of the GOP apologized for the bigoted Southern Strategy of the GOP that started with the southern conservative Democrats who left the DNC and ran into the open arms of the GOP

and so friggin what??

What concrete effect did it have? ...oh wait because Republicans won elections? is that it? And the democrats who were 'former' racists who stayed on as dems, when they won elections ? Whats your angst level there?

Racist democrats won elections for a hundred years, oh wait, I am sorry, we are not allowed to back before 1964 ( even though dems won elections in the same states there after as well) because you want to confine this to a reps evil bastards rant only and that somehow they are more deserving of vilification.

You want to make a big deal out that?

Wait, maybe the reps should have said no boys we don't want you, you can stay dem and caucus with the dems even if you get elected as a rep?

its a strawman only so far as you have exactly nothing, except the fact that republicans won elections, and in your eyes used some dirty strategy, yet don't apply the same yardstick to your own.Poppycock.

you're tacking all over the place...I wonder if you even have a point to make anymore or know from one page to the next what your arguing or what points you are making...OR not.

the civil rights act of 1964

the opposition from mostly white southerners who were conservatives

:eusa_shhh:

You know Carb, your side lost their media monopoly so the idea that Goldwater was a racist and LBJ "******* voting Democrat" "appoint a ******""Uppity Negroes" was a Civil Rights Hero is funny.

but again, your red herrings are pathetic. what individuals do is nothing in comparison to what the GOP did as an institution -- Institutional Racism

and the proof to support this allegation ..is?

A sitting GOP Chairman apologized specifically to the black community and Americans in general, for the GOP's bigoted southern strategy -- the strategy that became institutionalized after white southern conservative Democrats left the DNC for the open arms of the GOP after the civil rights act 0f 1964 was passed.

you said that, like 3 times.

let me spell it out, again; for this "institutionalism racism" charge to be valid, you must show that it was, hello institutional in that the Institution was driven by and practiced racism. Its a distinction with no difference as it applies to republican legislation and practices.

You are trying to show cause for damages that have never occurred. Vapor.

if you're going to complain about bigotry, really, you have some nerve....thats where that post I made regarding you wanting to provide absolution on YOUR timeliine comes in.....bigotry is bigotry, there is no waters edge here, except the one you created.

Did the republican party practice racism systemically as the democratic party did? No.....

You're fucking retarded. Seriously. You cannot make a post without attributing something to someone that they never said, or implied.

What is wrong with you, exactly?
Really? You're NOT claiming Goldwater's vote was driven by racism?

Do you really expect anyone to believe that? :lol:

I've known for a long time exactly what drove Goldwater. I read his book. Have you?

I'm merely pointing out that Democrats in the South began voting Republican after the Civil Rights act, and their support of Goldwater is the first, best example.

example of WHAT, Exactly?

and the proof to support this allegation ..is?

A sitting GOP Chairman apologized specifically to the black community and Americans in general, for the GOP's bigoted southern strategy -- the strategy that became institutionalized after white southern conservative Democrats left the DNC for the open arms of the GOP after the civil rights act 0f 1964 was passed.

you said that, like 3 times.

let me spell it out, again; for this "institutionalism racism" charge to be valid, you must show that it was, hello institutional in that the Institution was driven by and practiced racism. Its a distinction with no difference as it applies to republican legislation and practices.

You are trying to show cause for damages that have never occurred. Vapor.

if you're going to complain about bigotry, really, you have some nerve....thats where that post I made regarding you wanting to provide absolution on YOUR timeliine comes in.....bigotry is bigotry, there is no waters edge here, except the one you created.

Did the republican party practice racism systemically as the democratic party did? No.....

as it applies to republican legislation and practices.
huh? :cuckoo:

Elections run on racism is what we were discussing, but you keep up with deflection insisting that we change direction to legislation and policies?

Southern conservative practices racist legislation as Democrats and as Republicans. The Democratic party pushed the civil rights act to rectify this and the white southern Democrats who were unrepentant racist left the DNC for the GOP.

Harry Truman desegregated the Us Army.

btw, "there was Reagan's attempt, once he reached the White House in 1981, to reverse a long-standing policy of denying tax-exempt status to private schools that practice racial discrimination and grant an exemption to Bob Jones University."

using the bigoted actions of individual southerners as an excuse for the actions of institutionalized racism within the GOP -- The GOP Southern Strategy is pathetic.

A sitting GOP Chairman apologized for the racism of his whole party as an institution. Byrd? One man does not equal a party strategy. As a matter of fact, after 1964 anything Byrd sis that was bigoted was at ODDS with his party -- not part of an institutionalized party strategy

OH Democratic Senator Bryd was held in High regards among the DNC

His youthful mistakes cost the lives of a few blacks in Wes Virigina

Byrd's life after the civil rights battles is admirable. Byrd's past is not an issue. You can try to make it one so as to gloss over the institutionalized racism of the GOP. go for it.

Byrd as a man changed his views on race and civil rights. His redemption is not my concern, though the black community as a whole has seemed to say he redeemed himself.

I guess a pathetic cracker like you knows more about the black community than the black community does.

Ass wipe I know the black community I have blacks in my family and they would call you a racist for calling me a cracker.

elections are indeed in some cases run on racism, so are you saying that democrats don't use race, region, status, class, and all the rest to build their base or pump them up?

For them little has changed, not really, bias come in many forms and angles, they are THE home for special interests. If anyone came out of this screwed up, it was them.

At the end of the day your objections and angst means little , in practicality the strategy got them votes, so what? You are barking at the moon, the dems are no different and have practiced and to this day provocate destructive identity politics. When it comes to damage done to any political party or politics overall, the dems shed their former base and now feed off of the a-fore mentioned class warfare, racism , race baiting, fear mongering.

So I find this all a tempest in a tea pot frankly. if you want to ratchet this up so as to make it appear it had any real practical effect, well, you are free to sate what practical effects it had, in the real world. who got hurt, who didn't etc.

If the realignment cost a party its identity or values, it wasn't the republican party, you can argue that till you turn blue if to like.

It then comes down to a philosophical argument. And we feel differently and there it is.

So, can anyone tell us why the Republican Party nominated Barry Goldwater for president in 1964?

Barry Goldwater, one of only SIX Republican Senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The very first major action of the Republican Party, nationally, post-Civil Rights Act, was to reward one of its few opponents, from their own ranks,

with the nomination for President.

How many Democraps voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act? Only Six Repugs voted against it.....some of which may have felt their re-election depended on that vote.

Seems your own facts are losing your case for you.

Humphrey voted for it, and won the '68 primary. That caused the Southern racist Dems to abandon ship and go with Wallace's independent run, or like Strom Thurmond, endorse Nixon and hold South Carolina delegates' feet to the fire and vote Nixon.

No one's case is being lost. The point is that Southern Racist Democrats abandoned the party after Johnson pushed through the 1964 Civil Rights Ace, and were welcomed, in fact co opted, by the GOP. The events leading up to that realignment are not as relevant as the outcome.

Ass wipe I know the black community I have blacks in my family and they would call you a racist for calling me a cracker.
No, they wouldn't. Remember, white liberals know what's racism and what isn't.

And I'm sure it's just coincidence that white liberals never display any racism. :lol:

And many peckerwoods wouldn't know racism, including their own, if it bit them in the ass.

No, they wouldn't. Remember, white liberals know what's racism and what isn't.

And I'm sure it's just coincidence that white liberals never display any racism. :lol:

And many peckerwoods wouldn't know racism, including their own, if it bit them in the ass.
Considering that your sole criteria for judging someone's racism is their party affiliation, you lack credibility on the subject.

Dick.

Barry Goldwater, one of only SIX Republican Senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The very first major action of the Republican Party, nationally, post-Civil Rights Act, was to reward one of its few opponents, from their own ranks,

I already explained why Barry Goldwater voted against the Civil Rights Act and it had nothing to do with bigotry. Goldwater was a member of the NAACP and a major financial donor to that group for years.

I already explained why Barry Goldwater voted against the Civil Rights Act and it had nothing to do with bigotry. Goldwater was a member of the NAACP and a major financial donor to that group for years.
No, no, no. He was a racist. A white liberal desperate to paint all conservatives as racist said so.

elections are indeed in some cases run on racism, so are you saying that democrats don't use race, region, status, class, and all the rest to build their base or pump them up?

For them little has changed, not really, bias come in many forms and angles, they are THE home for special interests. If anyone came out of this screwed up, it was them.

At the end of the day your objections and angst means little , in practicality the strategy got them votes, so what? You are barking at the moon, the dems are no different and have practiced and to this day provocate destructive identity politics. When it comes to damage done to any political party or politics overall, the dems shed their former base and now feed off of the a-fore mentioned class warfare, racism , race baiting, fear mongering.

So I find this all a tempest in a tea pot frankly. if you want to ratchet this up so as to make it appear it had any real practical effect, well, you are free to sate what practical effects it had, in the real world. who got hurt, who didn't etc.

If the realignment cost a party its identity or values, it wasn't the republican party, you can argue that till you turn blue if to like.

It then comes down to a philosophical argument. And we feel differently and there it is.

"are you saying that democrats don't use race, region, status, class, and all the rest to build their base or pump them up?" nope.

you are free to start a thread on this topic.

The GOP Chairman apologized for the institutionalized racism of the GOP. Do you think a simple apology wiped it all out?

The GOP Chairman apologized for the institutionalized racism of the GOP. Do you think a simple apology wiped it all out?
Odd...I can't find where the Democratic Party ever apologized for their creation of the KKK, their silence on lynching, their opposition to civil rights, and their institutionalized racism.

Funny how you give them a pass for that, isn't it?

It had to do with an extremist ideological perversion of the concept of state's rights to reach the absurd conclusion that it was/is not a valid federal prerogative to enforce the constitutional protections of equal rights in this country.

I repeat the question. If Goldwater was right to oppose it, were the 80% of Republicans who supported the 64 Civil Rights Act wrong?

Really? You're NOT claiming Goldwater's vote was driven by racism?

Do you really expect anyone to believe that? :lol:

I've known for a long time exactly what drove Goldwater. I read his book. Have you?

I'm merely pointing out that Democrats in the South began voting Republican after the Civil Rights act, and their support of Goldwater is the first, best example.

example of WHAT, Exactly?

Of Southern segregationists beginning to believe that their cause would, after 1964, be better served by the Republican party, or, conversely, the belief that the Democratic Party was abandoning them, that their 'strange bedfellow' alliance, if you will, with the liberals in the Democratic party was on the rocks.

"are you saying that democrats don't use race, region, status, class, and all the rest to build their base or pump them up?" nope.

you are free to start a thread on this topic.

It worked for the Dems and Tuskegee

Forum List

Back