The GOP's New Fake Racial History

So one dead Cracker does a party make.

Need I remind you of Robert Byrd???

using the bigoted actions of individual southerners as an excuse for the actions of institutionalized racism within the GOP -- The GOP Southern Strategy is pathetic.

A sitting GOP Chairman apologized for the racism of his whole party as an institution. Byrd? One man does not equal a party strategy. As a matter of fact, after 1964 anything Byrd sis that was bigoted was at ODDS with his party -- not part of an institutionalized party strategy

OH Democratic Senator Bryd was held in High regards among the DNC

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS6rKW4-SjA]YouTube - Presidents Obama, Clinton Honor Byrd at Memorial[/ame]

His youthful mistakes cost the lives of a few blacks in Wes Virigina

Last edited:

using the bigoted actions of individual southerners as an excuse for the actions of institutionalized racism within the GOP -- The GOP Southern Strategy is pathetic.

and one more time-

until you surface an implemented national policy based on jim crow etc. , legitimatized, legislated and enacted by the Republican party you don't have an argument, you have; innuendo, insinuation, supposition and some isolated minimal 'gotchas'......which don't amount to much.

A sitting GOP Chairman apologized for the racism of his whole party as an institution. Byrd? One man does not equal a party strategy. As a matter of fact, after 1964 anything Byrd sis that was bigoted was at ODDS with his party -- not part of an institutionalized party strategy

Byrd's life after the civil rights battles is admirable. Byrd's past is not an issue. You can try to make it one so as to gloss over the institutionalized racism of the GOP. go for it.

Byrd as a man changed his views on race and civil rights. His redemption is not my concern, though the black community as a whole has seemed to say he redeemed himself.

I guess a pathetic cracker like you knows more about the black community than the black community does.

and one more time-

until you surface an implemented national policy based on jim crow etc. , legitimatized, legislated and enacted by the Republican party you don't have an argument, you have; innuendo, insinuation, supposition and some isolated minimal 'gotchas'......which don't amount to much.
any argument you have is with reality and the GOP Chairman who apologized -- to the black community and everyone else -- who lived through those years up 'til now.

You can have all the internal arguments with yourself you want. You can raise straw men and red herrings and strike them down. :clap2: but what you cannot do is ignore reality here.

A sitting Chairman of the GOP apologized for the bigoted Southern Strategy of the GOP that started with the southern conservative Democrats who left the DNC and ran into the open arms of the GOP

The Southern Strategy WAS pathetic. That's the point you and others seem to be missing here. As has been pointed out already the Republican Party of 2010 is not the Republican Party of the 1970s. The Democratic Party's history involving slavery and bigotry is unmatched by anything the GOP has ever done. Yet you guys just wave your hand like it never happened, but sit there and criticize the Republicans for things they did decades ago as if nothing has changed and make up these bullshit myths about how all the racists became Republicans even though the facts show otherwise. It's all bullshit and you're all hypocrites.

In the days following Byrd's death Bill Clinton excused his membership in the Klan saying it was necessary in order for him to deliver all the wonderful things he has for West Virginia. If Robert Byrd had been a Republican you and the other tools here would have been holding him up as a prime example of Republican racism until the day he died and the next 50 years following, but since he had a D next to his name, no harm, no foul.

This whole discussion is retarded because both parties have changed a lot since those days and things that happened 30, 50, and even 100 years ago don't reflect the values either one holds today. Rational people understand this.

Ed Brooke lost to Reagan within the GOP you dope. I wasn't talking about Ed Brooke winning a general election, we were discussing the rejection of liberals within the GOP.

gawd, you're a class A moron.

The people of Massachusetts decided they wanted Paul Tsongas rather than Edward Brooke. Brooke was defeated in a general election, not a Republican primary where more conservative voters led by some Reagan coalition decided to pass their nomination on to someone else.

What lead to Brooke's defeat was waning support from Catholics over his support for abortion, which was still very taboo in those days, had a small scandal involving his finances which hurt him. It didn't have dick to do with Ronald Reagan.

And this actually brings up another double standard. The conservative Republicans constantly get ridiculed for challenging the moderates in their party, yet the far left have been slugging it out with the Blue Dogs ever since the Democrats took over Congress, but that seems to be perfectly okay.

Byrd's life after the civil rights battles is admirable.

Yeah, it was real admirable of him to talk about white ******* in a 2001 interview with Tony Snow. It was real admirable when he voted against confirmation of both Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas to the SCOTUS.

Byrd's past is not an issue.

Oh it damn well would be for you and Dick Fuck if he had been a Republican.

You can try to make it one so as to gloss over the institutionalized racism of the GOP. go for it.

Pot meet kettle.

His redemption is not my concern, though the black community as a whole has seemed to say he redeemed himself.

How many blacks live in West Virginia?

and one more time-

any argument you have is with reality and the GOP Chairman who apologized -- to the black community and everyone else -- who lived through those years up 'til now.

You can have all the internal arguments with yourself you want. You can raise straw men and red herrings and strike them down. :clap2: but what you cannot do is ignore reality here.

A sitting Chairman of the GOP apologized for the bigoted Southern Strategy of the GOP that started with the southern conservative Democrats who left the DNC and ran into the open arms of the GOP

and so friggin what??

What concrete effect did it have? ...oh wait because Republicans won elections? is that it? And the democrats who were 'former' racists who stayed on as dems, when they won elections ? Whats your angst level there?

Racist democrats won elections for a hundred years, oh wait, I am sorry, we are not allowed to back before 1964 ( even though dems won elections in the same states there after as well) because you want to confine this to a reps evil bastards rant only and that somehow they are more deserving of vilification.

You want to make a big deal out that?

Wait, maybe the reps should have said no boys we don't want you, you can stay dem and caucus with the dems even if you get elected as a rep?

its a strawman only so far as you have exactly nothing, except the fact that republicans won elections, and in your eyes used some dirty strategy, yet don't apply the same yardstick to your own.Poppycock.

you're tacking all over the place...I wonder if you even have a point to make anymore or know from one page to the next what your arguing or what points you are making...OR not.

Last edited:

Byrd's life after the civil rights battles is admirable. Byrd's past is not an issue. You can try to make it one so as to gloss over the institutionalized racism of the GOP. go for it.

Byrd as a man changed his views on race and civil rights. His redemption is not my concern, though the black community as a whole has seemed to say he redeemed himself.

Dante said;

not your concern? gee, sure sounds like it....for god sakes.

Deny reality? LBJ is the Senator who lead the Opposition to the Civil Rights bill being passed in the 50s as President Eisenhower wanted.

And if you haven't noticed, most of the so called racists, never left the Democrat party. They just decided to mask themselves as usual.

By their actions any fair analysis would say they had a change of heart or they would have followed the other southern bigots into the GOP.

the civil rights act made law what was a principle the white southern conservative bigots denied other Americans.

and one more time-

and so friggin what??

What concrete effect did it have? ...oh wait because Republicans won elections? is that it? And the democrats who were 'former' racists who stayed on as dems, when they won elections ? Whats your angst level there?

Racist democrats won elections for a hundred years, oh wait, I am sorry, we are not allowed to back before 1964 ( even though dems won elections in the same states there after as well) because you want to confine this to a reps evil bastards rant only and that somehow they are more deserving of vilification.

You want to make a big deal out that?

Wait, maybe the reps should have said no boys we don't want you, you can stay dem and caucus with the dems even if you get elected as a rep?

its a strawman only so far as you have exactly nothing, except the fact that republicans won elections, and in your eyes used some dirty strategy, yet don't apply the same yardstick to your own.Poppycock.

you're tacking all over the place...I wonder if you even have a point to make anymore or know from one page to the next what your arguing or what points you are making...OR not.

the civil rights act of 1964

the opposition from mostly white southerners who were conservatives

The Southern Strategy WAS pathetic. That's the point you and others seem to be missing here. As has been pointed out already the Republican Party of 2010 is not the Republican Party of the 1970s. The Democratic Party's history involving slavery and bigotry is unmatched by anything the GOP has ever done. Yet you guys just wave your hand like it never happened, but sit there and criticize the Republicans for things they did decades ago as if nothing has changed and make up these bullshit myths about how all the racists became Republicans even though the facts show otherwise. It's all bullshit and you're all hypocrites.

In the days following Byrd's death Bill Clinton excused his membership in the Klan saying it was necessary in order for him to deliver all the wonderful things he has for West Virginia. If Robert Byrd had been a Republican you and the other tools here would have been holding him up as a prime example of Republican racism until the day he died and the next 50 years following, but since he had a D next to his name, no harm, no foul.

This whole discussion is retarded because both parties have changed a lot since those days and things that happened 30, 50, and even 100 years ago don't reflect the values either one holds today. Rational people understand this.

I think you should use quotes of Clinton and not make shit up about what you think Clinton said.

I think you are clueless -- the Southern strategy was not a decade long strategy of the 70s.

People condemned Byrd's affiliations, but he repented and went on to do the right thing.

but again, your red herrings are pathetic. what individuals do is nothing in comparison to what the GOP did as an institution -- Institutional Racism

Dante said;
Redemption? I'm not in charge of redemption. Sorry.

not your concern? gee, sure sounds like it....for god sakes.

Being a non believer I judge by actions and sometimes words, but I do not imagine I possess the power to forgive and grant redemption with such ease as partisan Christians do.

:eusa_liar::eusa_eh::doubt: :eek::lol::rofl:

Everything I learned about Ike and Civil Right, I just learned on Google in 2 minutes.

It shows. Yet you run around calling people who have been following this history for decades, liars. What does that say about you?

The thread started with you hardly even knowing Ike was President much less that he passed the first Civil Rights Act AND used the military to bust southern Democrat segregation.

Now all of a sudden your an expert on the 1957 Act.

uh huh

Eisenhower was the kind of Republican that modern day conservatives loathe.

So, can anyone tell us why the Republican Party nominated Barry Goldwater for president in 1964?

Barry Goldwater, one of only SIX Republican Senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The very first major action of the Republican Party, nationally, post-Civil Rights Act, was to reward one of its few opponents, from their own ranks,

with the nomination for President.

So, can anyone tell us why the Republican Party nominated Barry Goldwater for president in 1964?

Barry Goldwater, one of only SIX Republican Senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The very first major action of the Republican Party, nationally, post-Civil Rights Act, was to reward one of its few opponents, from their own ranks,

with the nomination for President.

How many Democraps voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act? Only Six Repugs voted against it.....some of which may have felt their re-election depended on that vote.

Seems your own facts are losing your case for you.

Forum List

Back