the Great Escape--worth it?

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
were 50 lives murdered worth the Great Escape of WW2?
the POWs were not thinking they would get murdered
IMO, I think any escaped POWs should've been shot...I know it's against the Geneva Convention--but the ''host'' country is providing medical/food/housing/etc ...the POWs have given up --been captured
World War Two - The Great Escape - History

there was a line in the movie Black Panther that covers that quite nicely:

"Why, so you can lock me up? Nah. Just bury me in the ocean with my ancestors who jumped from ships, 'cause they knew death was better than bondage. "

IMO, I think any escaped POWs should've been shot...I know it's against the Geneva Convention--but the ''host'' country is providing medical/food/housing/etc ...the POWs have given up --been captured

To bad you never served in the Military of the United States!

Art II: code of conduct:

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

What US Military Personnel Must Do If The Become A POW

Did they whistle that song when they were in the tunnel?

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

I did serve---8 years....so your entire post is worthless crap and you look stupid

very, very few escaped
the escapes did not alter battles at all

that really sounds nice--doesn't it?
just like a lot of things on paper

there was a line in the movie Black Panther that covers that quite nicely:

"Why, so you can lock me up? Nah. Just bury me in the ocean with my ancestors who jumped from ships, 'cause they knew death was better than bondage. "
giphy.gif

My great grandfather died in a German prison camp.

He fell out of a guard tower.

My great grandfather died in a German prison camp.

He fell out of a guard tower.
very interesting....do you have any pictures?
my uncle served in Europe and brought back a lot of souvenirs

lol!! It was a joke. My family emigrated from Germany a long time before WW2. Although I have been to the town. Sulz Am Neckar...beautiful.

Looks like the Germans are really looking after the place...lol!

..Bushell escaped a few times/contacted the undergounds/etc
..IMO, he was deservedly shot
..it was mandatory for the host country to give medical/food/housing/etc
..so if they are providing that, it is ludicrous for the host country not to be able to either shoot escaped POWS or keep them in the cooler indefinitely
..also, the host country could not indefinitely punish escaped POWS

I liked the Steve McQueen motorcycle part. And at the end when he goes to the cooler and steals the guard's key.

For the real thing they didn't know the SS would outright murder them. In the grand sweep of war it was worth it, to the individual when you are staring at the barrel of a machine gun it isn't.

I liked the Steve McQueen motorcycle part. And at the end when he goes to the cooler and steals the guard's key.

For the real thing they didn't know the SS would outright murder them. In the grand sweep of war it was worth it, to the individual when you are staring at the barrel of a machine gun it isn't.
..I've got the DVD....it's very well done ..I think McQueen played some of the Germans on the motorcycles
..when you are a POW, escape helps keep your mind off ''bad'' things and on ''good'' things

SS had their payback after the war

Last edited:

Technically many were not in uniform, had fake Ids and were posing as 'civilians', so could be considered spies, so I doubt much could be in violation of the Geneva Convention re that part. The 'Court of Public Opinion' is of course arrives at very different conclusions than laws do.

As for the escape being worth it, from an Irish sensibility it would be perfectly the thing to do; in a 'rational' sense, no, not really. I most probably would have gone along with it, just out of spite. I've done a lot just as 'dumb' and 'pointless' in my life.

Last edited:

Technically many were not in uniform, had fake Ids and were posing as 'civilians', so could be considered spies, so I doubt much could be in violation of the Geneva Convention re that part. The 'Court of Public Opinion' is of course arrives at very different conclusions than laws do.

As for the escape being worth it, from an Irish sensibility it would be perfectly the thing to do; in a 'rational' sense, no, not really. I most probably would have gone along with it, just out of spite. I've done a lot just as 'dumb' and 'pointless' in my life.
..the Geneva Convention goes into detail on POWS and their rights on recapture and/or punishments/etc
from Article 89 and on
Article 100 deals with a death sentence
Treaties, States parties, and Commentaries - Geneva Convention (III) on Prisoners of War, 1949 - -
..but, as we see Bushell was dealing with the underground/etc, I don't see how they could not be termed spies
..but I believe they still have some rights to a trial/etc
the Germans executed at the Battle of the Bulge had a trial
I read a book specifically on the executions of the Great Escape POWs, but can't recall much.....I doubt they had trials

Forum List

Back