The Great Global Pushback

I'm doing great because we bought our house 20 years ago. My kids, both with professional, degreed jobs and in their 20s, cannot even look at buying a house. They can barely afford rent (and no, they don't live with us).

No one in their generation is able to get close to the "American dream". If you want to argue with that, go find 10 Gen Z people and argue with them. Whatever you're doing, it's not working.

Do most of them even want to buy a house? My daughter is 29 makes more a year than either the wife or I and she has no desire at all to buy a house. She likes being mobile, likes being able to go where the job takes her.

Owning has some benefits, but also has negatives.

And the interest we spend on servicing that debt is what percentage of our yearly gdp?
That's not the right way of looking at it. The right way of looking at it is what percentage is it of the federal government's total tax "revenue." Hint: it's growing at an untenable rate. Maybe look into that and get back to me.

That's not the right way of looking at it. The right way of looking at it is what percentage is it of the federal government's total tax "revenue." Hint: it's growing at an untenable rate. Maybe look into that and get back to me.
What exactly makes it untenable?

It would be (very) wrong to look at other important parts of the world right now, and not draw some possible parallels.

Seems (to me) that those parallels are pretty clear: A pushback against what is perceived as anti-nationalism (or, the dilution of nations by immigration and cultural norms). And to get more specific, it's immigration without expectation/requirements of assimilation. There are other issues as well, mostly centering around cultural topics.

We can pretend this isn't happening, or we can consider the possibility that there is a significant number of people who feel this way. To ignore it would be a mistake. To mock it would be a mistake. To attack and punish it would CONTINUE to be a mistake.

Seems to me the concerns are reasonable, even if they are advanced in (very) counterproductive ways. THIS is REAL.

Thoughts?

A couple of days ago you were arguing for accommodating the right in regards to Trump's sentencing.

Yesterday you were arguing for accommodating the right in regards to cultural issues.

Here you are arguing for accommodating the right in regards to immigration. This by going by a false premise by the way since it's not that immigration doesn't come with expectations of assimilation in Europe.

So I'll ask again, and I really would like you to answer the question this time. Since I've asked it twice before and you're kind of vague about it. How does that accommodation/compromise look according to you? I know it's a hard question, but maybe that should tell you something about the fault in your reasoning.

To make the question a bit more practical. The Democrats have tried to pass an immigration bill that was written by an Republican immigration hawk. It had nothing off consequence in it for the left, besides that is aid to allied countries. (Hardly something that the base of the left typically calls for.) That bill was torpedoed.

What does it mean to be a progressive when you keep on arguing for moving further to the right, because the other side is gaining support? It seems to me that the path you are suggesting simply leads to not just a right wing nationalist victory but a complete capitulation of the entire left.

A couple of days ago you were arguing for accommodating the right in regards to Trump's sentencing.

Yesterday you were arguing for accommodating the right in regards to cultural issues.

Here you are arguing for accommodating the right in regards to immigration. This by going by a false premise by the way since it's not that immigration doesn't come with expectations of assimilation in Europe.

So I'll ask again, and I really would like you to answer the question this time. Since I've asked it twice before and you're kind of vague about it. How does that accommodation/compromise look according to you? I know it's a hard question, but maybe that should tell you something about the fault in your reasoning.

To make the question a bit more practical. The Democrats have tried to pass an immigration bill that was written by an Republican immigration hawk. It had nothing off consequence in it for the left, besides that is aid to allied countries. (Hardly something that the base of the left typically calls for.) That bill was torpedoed.

What does it mean to be a progressive when you keep on arguing for moving further to the right, because the other side is gaining support? It seems to me that the path you are suggesting simply leads to not just a right wing nationalist victory but a complete capitulation of the entire left.
What makes you think he's progressive?

What makes you think he's progressive?
I actually know he isn't. He's center right. But the question is valid, since his premise is to simply give in and basically be less combative when fighting the extremely right that is currently in charge of the GOP. So if that's the premise, I want a clear answer how he thinks that should look.

I don't believe in "accommodating" either the Right or the Left. I think the hardcore ends of the spectrum are the problem, and I believe the best and longest-lasting solutions come from collaboration and innovation. As I explained before, that means that everyone has skin the game and wants an idea to succeed.

The right wingers here equate cooperation with capitulation, and that's the feeling I get from the Left too. Is that correct?

I'm not ideological. I think that commitment to an ideology distorts a person's thinking and robs them of one of a person's most important traits: Honest curiosity. As I've said before, American business from coast to coast succeeds when disparate ideas come together to innovate, to create something new. We refuse to use the same approach in politics, because our "system" (ha) incentivizes and rewards the opposite.

I don't know how else to explain this.

I actually know he isn't. He's center right. But the question is valid, since his premise is to simply give in and basically be less combative when fighting the extremely right that is currently in charge of the GOP.
He wants to give in because he's center right. He's not a progressive. He dislikes the progressive left more than he dislikes the MAGAt right. Like most of the center right he believes placating them mutants on the right will bring them back into the establishment fold.

It would be (very) wrong to look at other important parts of the world right now, and not draw some possible parallels.

Seems (to me) that those parallels are pretty clear: A pushback against what is perceived as anti-nationalism (or, the dilution of nations by immigration and cultural norms). And to get more specific, it's immigration without expectation/requirements of assimilation. There are other issues as well, mostly centering around cultural topics.

We can pretend this isn't happening, or we can consider the possibility that there is a significant number of people who feel this way. To ignore it would be a mistake. To mock it would be a mistake. To attack and punish it would CONTINUE to be a mistake.

Seems to me the concerns are reasonable, even if they are advanced in (very) counterproductive ways. THIS is REAL.

Thoughts?

The 20th century saw Jim Crowe born out of a shift toward equality for people of color and I dont think that the learned message was that nations were better off segregated and oppressed. Progress is not even. It goes two steps forward and one backwards. It doesnt surprise me that nations that have been very exclusive in their policies are uncomfortable with the evolution of a more diverse and globalized populace.

I don't believe in "accommodating" either the Right or the Left. I think the hardcore ends of the spectrum are the problem, and I believe the best and longest-lasting solutions come from collaboration and innovation. As I explained before, that means that everyone has skin the game and wants an idea to succeed.

The right wingers here equate cooperation with capitulation, and that's the feeling I get from the Left too. Is that correct?

I'm not ideological. I think that commitment to an ideology distorts a person's thinking and robs them of one of a person's most important traits: Honest curiosity. As I've said before, American business from coast to coast succeeds when disparate ideas come together to innovate, to create something new. We refuse to use the same approach in politics, because our "system" (ha) incentivizes and rewards the opposite.

See forkup, he has no real ideological beliefs beyond the establishment corporatism that the center loves so much. He simply doesn't understand people having actual ideals they believe in and fight for.

I think you go by a perfectly understandable misconception.

The fact is that the Democratic party at the moment is NOT led by the extreme end of it's base on the left. But rather it's extreme end on the right. A place I consider myself closely aligned but somewhat more to the left off. You pretend though that that's NOT were they are.

Politics in the US has steadily moved to the right over the last four decades. If the number in your handle is your birth year you know that's true. Someone like Reagan would not fit in today's Republican Party and he would be left of Joe Biden on everything but maybe his position on economics. Point in case the bill I was referring to.

So when you say "compromise", or whatever term you care to use, you are not asking to meet in the middle. You are asking to move further to the right. In my opinion so far, the whole idea of ideological distinction becomes completely meaningless. That's why I want to pin you down on something that you would consider an acceptable compromise and prove to me you actually don't believe in "accommodating" the right. If you can. Or prove my premise correct if you can't.

Last edited:
See forkup, he has no real ideological beliefs beyond the establishment corporatism that the center loves so much. He simply doesn't understand people having actual ideals they believe in and fight for.
I'm probably not that far apart from an ideological standpoint. But I'm not willing to compromise without expecting... well a compromise.

The fact is that the Democratic party at the moment is NOT led by the extreme end of it's base on the left. But rather it's extreme end on the right. A place I consider myself closely aligned but somewhat more to the left off. You pretend though that that's NOT were they are.

Politics in the US has steadily moved to the right over the last four decades. If the number in your handle is your birth year you know that's true. Someone like Reagan would not fit in today's Republican Party and he would be left of Joe Biden on everything but maybe his position on economics. Point in case the bill I was referring to.

So when you say "compromise", or whatever term you care to use, you are not asking to meet in the middle. You are asking to move further to the right. In my opinion so far, the whole idea of ideological distinction becomes completely meaningless. That's why I want to pin you down on something that you would consider am acceptable compromise. To illustrate this
Reagan would be to the left of Biden? :laugh:
I'm probably not that far apart from an ideological standpoint. But I'm not willing to compromise without expecting... well a compromise.
What ideology? :dunno:

So when you say "compromise", or whatever term you care to use, you are not asking to meet in the middle. You are asking to move further to the right. In my opinion so far, the whole idea of ideological distinction becomes completely meaningless. That's why I want to pin you down on something that you would consider an acceptable compromise and prove to me you actually don't believe in "accommodating" the right.
The Trumpsters here either don't know this or won't admit it, but prior to Election Day 2016, the topic I posted about more than any other (by far) was PC & Identity Politics, warning the Left here that they were going FAR too far with it. For that, I was called every name in the book by the Left here. I kept warning that a pushback was coming, and sure as shit, here it is.

And now, the Trumpsters scream TDS! at me because I'm doing the same thing, only with this orange madness. Yeah, right now, I consider this the biggest problem, and I think it constitutes an immediate threat.

You brought up immigration. Here is my completely independent, non-ideological and specific idea for immigration, one that address the root of the problem: Demand. You may or may not agree with it, but you want an example of collaboration (again, I'm not defaulting to "surrender" or "compromise"):

The Trumpsters here either don't know this or won't admit it, but prior to Election Day 2016, the topic I posted about more than any other (by far) was PC & Identity Politics, warning the Left here that they were going FAR too far with it. For that, I was called every name in the book by the Left here. I kept warning that a pushback was coming, and sure as shit, here it is.

And now, the Trumpsters scream TDS! at me because I'm doing the same thing, only with this orange madness. Yeah, right now, I consider this the biggest problem, and I think it constitutes an immediate threat.

You brought up immigration. Here is my completely independent, non-ideological and specific idea for immigration, one that address the root of the problem: Demand. You may or may not agree with it, but you want an example of collaboration (again, I'm not defaulting to "surrender" or "compromise"):

Oh look at fucking Nostradumbass here. You warned of push back? Gee thanks. No one would of guessed that mutants would push back on progressive policy without your warning and the only reason the left continues is because we don't understand it, not because we simply don't care how mutants feel about it. :laugh:

A step toward a return to normalcy.

To todays left wing “Far right” means rejecting the ideas that a man can get pregnant or that a homeless white is privileged.

Also working people in the USA and elsewhere enjoyed a much much better economy under Trump.
Bigotry and isolationism is normal to you?

forkup

Mac, what you posted is aspirational... not an answer to my question. Since you aren't really stating an acceptable compromise but simply your opinion, and most important directly contradicts the premise of the OP.

You are suggesting as an answer to immigration, funding the emergence of another player in globalization. The exact thing the premise of your OP says the left should be "less combative", about. And is a direct and probably core reason for the resurgence of the extreme right.

It doesn't matter that it makes sense. It doesn't matter that you like it. I was asking what you think would be an acceptable compromise and you come back with a suggestion that is both politically totally unacceptable to the right. But is considerably to the left of what the Democratic establishment would dare suggest.

As I said. The difficulty you experience in coming up with an acceptable compromise should be a big hint to the fact that there is no compromise the right will accept. Invalidating your premise that there's a point to "being less combative" on the left.

Forum List

Back