The Keystone Pipeline: Jobs!

Other than the few extremely temporary jobs in construction, most will be 6-8 months or less. That's little more than a summer job for a school kid. What else have you got as far as benefit to OUR country?

What construction jobs last "forever"? Does a man working for a roofing company work on the same house of building for decades or does he move from one job to another?

Yes construction jobs are usually temporary. I'm not the one saying a few temporary jobs would have a noticable effect on out employment numbers
That's funny. The construction company my wife has worked at for the last 27 years has many of the same employees it did when she hired on.

Again, you know nothing about what you rant about.

If a company wishes to do something, that is their business, not yours, you homo commie who wants to dictate to everyone.

You dumb ass. Are you trying to say the final phase of Keystone will last 27 years? Your wife's company didn't work on the same project for that long.

Other than the few extremely temporary jobs in construction, most will be 6-8 months or less. That's little more than a summer job for a school kid. What else have you got as far as benefit to OUR country?

What construction jobs last "forever"? Does a man working for a roofing company work on the same house of building for decades or does he move from one job to another?

Yes construction jobs are usually temporary. I'm not the one saying a few temporary jobs would have a noticable effect on out employment numbers
That's funny. The construction company my wife has worked at for the last 27 years has many of the same employees it did when she hired on.

If a company wishes to do something, that is their business, not yours, you homo commie who wants to dictate to everyone.

You dumb ass. Are you trying to say the final phase of Keystone will last 27 years? Your wife's company didn't work on the same project for that long.
Dumbass. You think construction workers get layers off after something is built? My wife's company has jobs lined up for the next 2 years.
Stop displaying your ignorance, you're even making me feel pity for you.

Do you think every flight crew gets layed off after the plane lands?

Dumbass. You think construction workers get layers off after something is built? My wife's company has jobs lined up for the next 2 years.

Yes, I know. We aren't talking about how construction workers often have a new construction project to start on as the old ones end. We're talking about the effect that Keystone, by its self, might have on our unemployment rates.

Yes, I know. We aren't talking about how construction workers often have a new construction project to start on as the old ones end. We're talking about the effect that Keystone, by its self, might have on our unemployment rates.
Better than building Obamas job creating dog parks.

Still confused about the subject?

The only thing confusing is why anyone is ignorant about your communist desire to tell companies how to operate decades after communism proved itself to be a failure.

And I work in construction as well, and have a degree in ChemE, but unlike you i don't make up shit to cover my political goals.

Care to point at any shit you think I made up?

You constantly downplay any economic impact because you don't like icky fossil fuels. The simple fact is this stuff is going to be used, and even more so if prices go up again to make it more profitable.

A pipeline is the safest way to do it, and while it isn't a lot of jobs, its still jobs, plus the subsequent economic improvements, be it in Canada, at the end of the line near a port facility, or at the local truck stand where the pipeline maintenance guy stops by for lunch 3 times a week while he does his inspections.

Won't be used here.

Who cares? if we can make $$ off moving it, we make $$ off moving it.

We? We won't make a penny off moving it. The same people who own a large amount of the mining facility in Canada also own a large part of the refineries on the Gulf coast. Those people will make a fortune, and since the Gulf coast refineries are classified as Free Trade Zones, they won't even pay taxes on the profit from transport or refining. They keep it all. We get nothing but a few temporary jobs. A circus that stays a little longer than usual would probably supply more temporary jobs.

So Skynet runs the refineries?

Good to know.

Considering that pipelines are the safest way to move this stuff, and sooner or later someone is going to move it anyway, your MASSIVE (see I can do caps too!) disaster is more likely to happen with other modes of transport.

Methinks you again let your political views impact your view on reality.

OK, it will be moved, but nobody has come up with a rational reason why we should allow it to be moved across our country when we get no benefit from it. They have ports in Canada.

And why should our ports not get in on the action?

Our ports won't. Refineries have their own docks. Any money made will stay with the refinery owners, who will not hire any more people.

And who works in refineries?

The exact same people who would would work in refineries without Keystone. No more people......no less people.

Well now they have another source of feed stock, so if one other source goes away, they get to keep their jobs instead of layoffs.

And how do you know the increased feed flow won't lead to more shifts or more process streams being put online, and thus need more people?

The only thing confusing is why anyone is ignorant about your communist desire to tell companies how to operate decades after communism proved itself to be a failure.

Now I'm confused about how you think communism might have anything to do with what is being discussed. No worries though. I'm sure most are confused by the way your RWNJ mind works.

Now I'm confused about how you think communism might have anything to do with what is being discussed. No worries though. I'm sure most are confused by the way your RWNJ mind works.
You're so blind you can't even see the forest thru the trees. Building infrastructure is good, especially when it's paid for by private companies. Keep your claws out of their business.

Care to point at any shit you think I made up?

You constantly downplay any economic impact because you don't like icky fossil fuels. The simple fact is this stuff is going to be used, and even more so if prices go up again to make it more profitable.

A pipeline is the safest way to do it, and while it isn't a lot of jobs, its still jobs, plus the subsequent economic improvements, be it in Canada, at the end of the line near a port facility, or at the local truck stand where the pipeline maintenance guy stops by for lunch 3 times a week while he does his inspections.

Won't be used here.

We? We won't make a penny off moving it. The same people who own a large amount of the mining facility in Canada also own a large part of the refineries on the Gulf coast. Those people will make a fortune, and since the Gulf coast refineries are classified as Free Trade Zones, they won't even pay taxes on the profit from transport or refining. They keep it all. We get nothing but a few temporary jobs. A circus that stays a little longer than usual would probably supply more temporary jobs.

Good to know.

No. A very precise set of programs run the refineries with minimal input from the very few plant operators. The first Apollo mission into space had less computer ability than is found on most modern smart phones. Computers have taken over much of the operation of everything from commercial airlines to refrigerators. Refineries have taken advantages of those advantages as well.

Won't be used here.

Good to know.

No. A very precise set of programs run the refineries with minimal input from the very few plant operators. The first Apollo mission into space had less computer ability than is found on most modern smart phones. Computers have taken over much of the operation of everything from commercial airlines to refrigerators. Refineries have taken advantages of those advantages as well.

So computers repair pipes? Computers change out parts on those computers? Computers direct the various process requirements at a refinery?

Plus these are really good paying jobs, not the McJobs you try to get people paid $10 an hour more than they are worth.

Won't be used here.

Good to know.

1200 people work at the Richmond refinery. High paying jobs.

Chevron Richmond Refinery - Wikipedia

OK, it will be moved, but nobody has come up with a rational reason why we should allow it to be moved across our country when we get no benefit from it. They have ports in Canada.

Our ports won't. Refineries have their own docks. Any money made will stay with the refinery owners, who will not hire any more people.

The exact same people who would would work in refineries without Keystone. No more people......no less people.

Well now they have another source of feed stock, so if one other source goes away, they get to keep their jobs instead of layoffs.

And how do you know the increased feed flow won't lead to more shifts or more process streams being put online, and thus need more people?

Because I live in the Beaumont/ Pt.Arthur area. Refineries are what we do. Most everyone I know either works in a refinery, or has worked in one.

Because I live in the Beaumont/ Pt.Arthur area. Refineries are what we do. Most everyone I know either works in a refinery, or has worked in one.

That didn't answer the question.

Won't be used here.

Good to know.

So computers repair pipes? Computers change out parts on those computers? Computers direct the various process requirements at a refinery?

Plus these are really good paying jobs, not the McJobs you try to get people paid $10 an hour more than they are worth.

No. Computers don't repair pipes. A very efficient maintenance crew along with constant inspection allows those pipes to be changed at a convenient time and pace before failure is expected. There are still rare unexpected problems, but with precise records and inspections, those unexpected events happen much less often than was even hoped for just a few years ago. There is no real need to boost personnel to handle Keystone.

Good to know.

No. Computers don't repair pipes. A very efficient maintenance crew along with constant inspection allows those pipes to be changed at a convenient time and pace before failure is expected. There are still rare unexpected problems, but with precise records and inspections, those unexpected events happen much less often than was even hoped for just a few years ago. There is no real need to boost personnel to handle Keystone.

Says you.

That didn't answer the question.

People I know work in almost every part of refinery operations. Everything from mowing grass to planning and purchasing. They say they are good. There are always a few people being hired to replace people who are fired, quit, retire, die, or otherwise leave, but hiring practices or numbers haven't changed, and aren't expected to change any time soon.

Good to know.

Says you.

You could easily check the employment records for Pt. Arthur or Beaumont if you want to. I know the answer, so I don't have a need to do that.

Forum List

Back