The lunacy of electric cars

Yes. Electric cars are a fabulous potential. The entire drive train essentially is two pieces fit behind each wheel that produce little heat loss converting nearly all power to forward drive.

THE PROBLEM:
  • Regular cars carry a fuel supply that is both stable and very energy dense.
  • So the problem with EVs become how to power them?
    1. They either carry a vast supply of stored electrical potential in heavy batteries that can combine explosively if defective while adding 40% to the cost and weight of the vehicle.
    2. They have the electric power brought to them via some sort of network of overhead or in-the-road power connections with just minimal storage for limited local driving off grid, which is the better solution so long as the grid doesn't go down.
I agree

without government interference in the marketplace (driven by radical environmentalists) far fewer electric cars would be sold

Lol do leftists know or care what the mass mining of the lithium does to the environment? No they don't cause their overlords haven't told them to care about that.

Yes people realize that EV don't run forever without any input of any kind. You are an idiot. Or the people you know are idiots. Probably, both.
there are lots of studies comparing the cost per mile of an EV to a gas powered car. the EV loses every time, even with senile Joe's gas prices.

I agree

without government interference in the marketplace (driven by radical environmentalists) far fewer electric cars would be sold
the only form of EV that makes any sense is the hybrid, where you have a gas engine AND a battery powered electric motor. The battery is recharged from the gas engine and the car can go over 400 miles on a tank of gas and one battery charge. The problem is that they are very complicated mechanically and electrically and very expensive to maintain and repair.

But electricity production to charge an EV still produces less emissions than an ICE car does.

It's not like electricity generation changes when you plug in your car to charge up. All that power is still being made anyway

But there is a tipping point where an EV becomes cleaner than an ICE car.

It take more energy to make an EV but Evs are cleaner to operate so for small EV's the tipping point as to when it becomes cleaner is about 12000 miles. The bigger the EV car the higher the mileage of the tipping point becomes which is why electric PU trucks and full size electric SUVs aren't worth it
wrong, your understanding of mechanics and physics is very limited.

The whole point of tablets is to make them cheap enough that they are disposable. If you lose one, no big deal. Buy a new one and download your data from the cloud.

Not that I trust the cloud.

Yet.

How can you not trust the cloud?

My work laptop literally has nothing on it but a way to me to reach the cloud where everything is stored. If I ever lost the laptop the chance of anyone being able to access the data I use is basically nil.

Electric Vehicles?

Ah, society will go through an adjustment period.
Widespread adoption of new technology does that......requires adjustment.
All here who thought portable cell phones would replace pay phones in airports, or elevated phone wires all over the place.....well, raise your hand. But did you adapt?

When the ICE was plopped into a carriage chassis & body there were next to zero 'gas stations'........or 'auto mechanics'. Or paved highways. Or highway rest stops. Or car radios. Or air fresheners.

But yet.......we adopted. And thrived.
Sucked to be a buggy-whip manufacturer, though.
But times change, things change. So sayeth Captain Obvious.

I've driven electric golf carts for a gabillion years, it seems.
So that is sorta kinda introduction-lite.
And I recently replaced a gas UTV with an electric UTV, same brand, same model.....just electric.

So far, after 9 months.....I'm loving it.
It is different than my old 800cc gas UTV.
Some features that are 'less than'....... other features that are 'better than'.

Adjustment is required.
I'm game for it.

The cost of electricity does not change throughout the day. Where did you get such a silly idea?

Not true. Lots of electric companies, including my own, offer pricing plans where they charge less per kilowatt hour during certain times of day, to try to encourage people to limit usage during peak hours.

Its amazing how ignorant the EV advocates are about basic science and energy. They seem to think that an EV just runs forever without any input of any kind. If they get beyond that they think the recharging is free and doesn't require additional generating capacity. Ignorance abounds on the left, they prove it every day.
Not to mention it is an ecological disaster to produce.

I have lived in 2 places in KY, 2 places in AL, GA, RI, FL, SC and VA. Not once have I had variable electrical costs.

Yes, well, if you personally haven't experienced it, that means it's true for the entire nation.

Here's the price plan page from SRP (Salt River Project), the electric company in my area of Phoenix. Note that three of them - EZ3, Time-of-Use, and Electric Vehicle - offer lower prices at certain times of day in order to incentivize you to limit usage during peak hours.

The cost of electricity does not change throughout the day. Where did you get such a silly idea?
Off peak rates have been around forever, and the fact that they are still being offered indicates that there is lot of cheaper electricity to be had. Better yet is that off peak rates will always be available.

Last edited:
the only form of EV that makes any sense is the hybrid, where you have a gas engine AND a battery powered electric motor. The battery is recharged from the gas engine and the car can go over 400 miles on a tank of gas and one battery charge. The problem is that they are very complicated mechanically and electrically and very expensive to maintain and repair.
The worst of two worlds

EV's are not for everyone, and they won't replace gas vehicles. So ya'll can calm down. ;)

It isn't "electric cars", it is all cars that are overpowered and overweight. 30 kw would be enough to power a five passenger car up to 80 mph. That would be sensible and practical, but, no, we have to be able to accelerate to that speed in 6 seconds, and it has to be impressively enormous and heavy, so it 'needs' ten times more power and batteries and waste.
As with most problems today, the question is of 'enough' being pushed aside by the desire for too much.

As with every major product category, EV's have a "sweet spot" of potential customers for whom the EV is the logical choice. There are also compulsive techies who must have the first, newest, most up-to-date of everything, and they snatched up Tesla's as soon as they could get one.

Marketing experts have opined that when EV's can be sold for $35k or less, get at least 250 miles of range, and can be fully charged in 45 minutes or less, they will take over the market (for new cars). But old habits die hard and ICE's will be available for as long as anyone reading this remains alive.

My personal interest is piqued by the reaction of people who want "performance" cars. Will they flock to the EV's whose performance numbers outshine virtually any ICE vehicle, or will they simply consider EV's a different "species" and ignore them? Case in point, the Mustang and Mustang-E. The top performance versions of these two cars are both in the $70k range, and the EV is a little quicker. Which will sell better? For the first year or so, supply of EV's will probably not be sufficient for the demand. After that, it's anyone's guess.

The savings of electrons vs gas may be the deciding factor.

It isn't "electric cars", it is all cars that are overpowered and overweight. 30 kw would be enough to power a five passenger car up to 80 mph. That would be sensible and practical, but, no, we have to be able to accelerate to that speed in 6 seconds, and it has to be impressively enormous and heavy, so it 'needs' ten times more power and batteries and waste.
As with most problems today, the question is of 'enough' being pushed aside by the desire for too much.
I drive a Mercury Grand Marquis. It's one of the safest cars on the road because of it's size and weight. It is also very quiet and comfy. It is mated with a 4.6 liter V8, just right for the weight of the car. Fuel economy is great as I walk to work and only drive on weekends.

*The trunk is large enough to hold two bodies. :biggrin:

Forum List

Back