The "N-word" and other Euphemisms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from the South and I say what I want when I want. Anybody gives me that offended shit, they can fuck off. Real (banned word here-starts with "N", sounds like "chiggas") don't care as long as your not being insulting. Context is everything.

There's a big difference between say..

"You see that game? Them Magic (banned word here-starts with "N", sounds like "chiggas") got their ass handed to them" and

Oh, you're just a greasy, ashy-mouf, coal-black stank (banned word here-starts with "N", sounds like "chigga").
Of course you are from the South.

I was watching the Superbowl at Red Robin Sunday night, and a black man who was a Rams fan was getting angry at one Rams player in particular (who was black), who missed three chances to catch the ball in long passes thrown by the quarterback.

"That ****** can't catch!"

Why is that a black man can yell this word in a public place in front of dozens of witnesses, but a white man could not?

It is very hypocritical for blacks to believe they can use that word, when whites who use that word are condemned and will have their careers and lives ruined for the rest of their lives.

"What white people have to do is try and find out in their own hearts why it was necessary to have a ā€˜nig-gerā€™ in the first place, because Iā€™m not a nig-ger, Iā€™m a man. But if you think Iā€™m a nig-ger, it means you need him. The question youā€™ve got to ask yourself, is, if you invented him, you the white people invented him, then youā€™ve got to find out why. And the future of the country depends on that, whether or not it is able to ask that question.ā€

James Baldwin

I donā€™t know what has entered the minds of some white Americans. For some reason they have given themselves permission to believe they have the right to use the n word. The rationale for this is, ā€œlisten to the rappers, you guys use the word among yourselves so it apparently wonā€™t offend you when whites do it.ā€ Let me say to whites that at one time the opinion was that the moon was made of cheese. Certainly you have freedom of speech and you CAN hold that conversation with a black and use the word at your leisure. But if you are white and you desire so much to use this word to describe us, itā€™s best you reserve itā€™s use for conversations only among whites.

Why do whites think they have this right? Everything has a history and so does the n word. The purposeful way a part of the white culture chooses to forget and even deny history is sickening. For those who are white and think it is just a harmless and endearing word when whites use it, let us do a small review of the history and usage of the n word by whites in America. After all, if there has ever been a time where whites used the word and it meant something complimentary, I really need to know. Because I my more than 57 years of living I have yet to hear that example.

ā€œThere is a direct and strong link between the word ****** and anti-black caricatures. Although ****** has been used to refer to any person of known African ancestry.2 it is usually directed against blacks who supposedly have certain negative characteristics. The Coon caricature, for example, portrays black men as lazy, ignorant, and obsessively self-indulgent; these are also traits historically represented by the word ******. The Brute caricature depicts black men as angry, physically strong, animalistic, and prone to wanton violence. This depiction is also implied in the word ******. The Tom and Mammy caricatures are often portrayed as kind, loving "friends" of whites. They are also presented as intellectually childlike, physically unattractive, and neglectful of their biological families. These latter traits have been associated with blacks, generally, and are implied in the word ******. The word ****** was a shorthand way of saying that blacks possessed the moral, intellectual, social, and physical characteristics of the Coon, Brute, Tom, Mammy, and other racial caricatures.ā€

Dr. David Pilgrim and Dr. Phillip Middleton, ā€œ****** and Caricatureā€

At no time in the history of this nation has the word ****** as used by whites ever implied anything positive. It is one of the most derogatory descriptors of a human that has ever been created. Iā€™m not going to attempt a long dissertation about the etymology of the word. Many before me have done that. We understand itā€™s a word that can be traced to latin much like most of our language is. I want to look at the word as it has been used in American race relations between whites and blacks in order for whites to understand why it is unwise for them to use the word in a conversation wih a black individual.

Historically the N word has been used to by whites to describe blacks as lazy, dumb, uneducated, worthless, scum, less than human and parasites. It has stood for nothing coming out of the mouth of whites but insults and to denigrate black people. For over 240 years this has been the primary use of the word by whites. When they first started using the word, blacks could not fight back. Blacks had to take being disgraced and belittled or face beatings or death. When the lynch mobs came to get us, they were not using the word as a term of endearment. The word coming from whites has carried a belief of superiority. It was them saying they are better than us just because they exist. The pre school age white child could freely call elderly black men or women who had lived a full life and had wisdom that child may never receive that word and itā€™s parents said nothing about respecting your elders. The term coming from whites simply means no respect. In addition the word has meant:

• ******, v. To wear out, spoil or destroy.

• Niggerish, adj. Acting in an indolent and irresponsible manner.

• Niggerlipping, v. Wetting the end of a cigarette while smoking it.

• Niggerlover, n. Derogatory term aimed at whites lacking in the necessary loathing of blacks.

• ****** luck, n. Exceptionally good luck, emphasis on undeserved.

• ******-flicker, n. A small knife or razor with one side heavily taped to preserve the user's fingers.

• ****** heaven, n. a designated place, usually the balcony, where blacks were forced to sit, for example, in an integrated movie theater or church.

• ****** knocker, n. axe handle or weapon made from an axe handle.

• ****** rich, adj, Deeply in debt but ostentatious.

• ****** shooter, n. A slingshot.

• ****** steak, n. a slice of liver or a cheap piece of meat.

• ****** stick, n. police officer's baton.

• ****** tip, n. leaving a small tip or no tip in a restaurant.

• ****** in the woodpile, n. a concealed motive or unknown factor affecting a situation in an adverse way.

• ****** work, n. Demeaning, menial tasks.(Green, 1984, p. 190)

Dr. David Pilgrim and Dr. Phillip Middleton, ā€œ****** and Caricatureā€

Let us go back to the James Baldwin quote at the beginning of this chapter. Whites invented the word. And the word meant nothing funny or positive. Why did whites invent this word? Was it because they were the ones who felt inferior so they had to make up a fictitious term? Was it because whites were so insecure about themselves they had to make up a word to have a reason to look down on people in order to lift themselves up? And why do whites want so badly to keep using the word now? Do they have such low self esteem they must still rely on a fake word about a made up non existent being in order to feel good about themselves? I donā€™t know the answer and donā€™t give a damn what the answer could be. The N word is not to be used by whites.

ā€œIf black people call each other N-words in the company of a white guy, then logically they have forfeited any right to be offended if the white guy also calls them N-words. Of course many will be offended because few people are logical when it comes to racial issues.ā€

Anonymous white internet forum poster

Funny how whites say stuff like this. We don't feel like we have the right to call whites micks, degos, wops, guineas, limeys, kikes and pollacks just because we hear them doing it. But it seems that whites have a problem and so i'll say this again: The n word is not to be used by whites. If you are white and hear blacks saying it to each other, feel free to break that rule, but then also feel free to accept the consequences that come with your decision.

This is all I am going to write on this matter. ****** is not just a word. Not to blacks. And in this case, thatā€™s the only opinion that matters. I donā€™t give a damn if you use the hard ā€œrā€ or the ā€œggaā€, the word is not to be used by whites. Here are words spoken by a white person to another one when that person decided to argue the age-old argument some whites use about blacks saying it to each other.

It doesn't matter if it is, IMO. You don't call a grown man "boy," (unless it's "cowboy") just as you don't call a Yankee woman "girl." A German doesn't call an Italian a Dego. A Caucasian doesn't call a brown person a ******. You shouldn't be arrested for it, but it's definitely provocative.

Anonymous white internet forum poster

I think whites also are either bad of hearing or they pretend to me. Blacks dont call each other the n word. They use another word that ends in a. The word that ends in "er" will ultimately cause severe pain to the white boy brave enough to use it.

Ah shit I was gonna laugh at ya, but that's spot on.

The difference between "a" and "er" is something.

Last edited:
I'm from the South and I say what I want when I want. Anybody gives me that offended shit, they can fuck off. Real (banned word here-starts with "N", sounds like "chiggas") don't care as long as your not being insulting. Context is everything.

"You see that game? Them Magic (banned word here-starts with "N", sounds like "chiggas") got their ass handed to them" and

Oh, you're just a greasy, ashy-mouf, coal-black stank (banned word here-starts with "N", sounds like "chigga").

"I'm from the South and I say what I want when I want. "

Its easy to make that claim on the internet. You would only make that mistake once in my presence. That I can guarantee you. :rolleyes:
That's easy to claim on the internet.

Its easy to make that claim on the internet. You would only make that mistake once in my presence. That I can guarantee you. :rolleyes:

1inet-toughguy.jpg

Its even easier to show you in person. Theres always an open invitation for you to find out. :rolleyes:

Its even easier to show you in person. Theres always an open invitation for you to find out. :rolleyes:

Nothing's stopping you from comin' on down heanh.

I've been down there and no one was brave enough to say anything. Thought a change of scenery would make you bolder. :rolleyes:

I've been down there and no one was brave enough to say anything. Thought a change of scenery would make you bolder. :rolleyes:

No one said anything to you because we can all tell you ain't from here, it's very easy. Furthermore I could carry on a conversation with a local black right in front of you, and you couldn't even understand but a word here and there. It is what it is, baby! I speak cracker.

No one said anything to you because we can all tell you ain't from here, it's very easy. Furthermore I could carry on a conversation with a local black right in front of you, and you couldn't even understand but a word here and there. It is what it is, baby! I speak cracker.

So they were afraid to say the n word because I wasnt from there? Thats stupid. No you couldnt carry on a conversation with a local Black without me knowing what you were saying. My family is from the south.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

So they were afraid to say the n word because I wasnt from there? Thats stupid. No you couldnt carry on a conversation with a local Black without me knowing what you were saying. My family is from the south.

How far south? General area/state will do. Not tryin' to get too personal.

How far south? general area/state will do. Not tryin' to get too personal.
Mississippi and Texas.

How far south? general area/state will do. Not tryin' to get too personal.
Mississippi and Texas.
Nope, you would not understand us. Can't find anything like it on the internet, sorry.
It's kinda like Cajun, but it's cracker. (or banned word here-starts with "N", sounds like "chigga") we understand each other well.

Last edited:
I have NEVER heard a white person call another white person a "honky" (whatever that is supposed to mean)

A lot of goofy thoughts fly around in this forum.

Has anyone called anyone a Honkey since the 1970's?

You know, I was stationed in the South from 1983 until 1994 (Norfolk Va., Memphis Tn., Jacksonville Fl., and I never had one person call me a cracker. Not even when I was living in Memphis. And yes, some friends of mine were black, and on occasion, I'd go to visit their family with them on the weekends.

I was watching the Superbowl at Red Robin Sunday night, and a black man who was a Rams fan was getting angry at one Rams player in particular (who was black), who missed three chances to catch the ball in long passes thrown by the quarterback.

Why is that a black man can yell this word in a public place in front of dozens of witnesses, but a white man could not?

It is very hypocritical for blacks to believe they can use that word, when whites who use that word are condemned and will have their careers and lives ruined for the rest of their lives.
Your reputation is that of a liar, no one should believe this actually happened.

• Thanks
I have NEVER heard a white person call another white person a "honky" (whatever that is supposed to mean)

You know, I was stationed in the South from 1983 until 1994 (Norfolk Va., Memphis Tn., Jacksonville Fl., and I never had one person call me a cracker. Not even when I was living in Memphis. And yes, some friends of mine were black, and on occasion, I'd go to visit their family with them on the weekends.
Thats because Black people rarely if ever have a desire to call someone a cracker or any other racist term to belittle someone. There has to be a pre event to even get a Black person thinking that way.

• Thanks

Thats because Black people rarely if ever have a desire to call someone a cracker or any other racist term to belittle someone. There has to be a pre event to even get a Black person thinking that way.

You know, I can believe that. Why? Because on (rare) occasions, I would hear one of my black friends talk about someone in the command who was acting like a racist, they would occasionally refer to said individual as a "cracker", or if they really didn't like them, they would call them a "pink johnson".

Interestingly enough, when I asked my black friends for the racist terms used against whites, they could only come up with around 3 or 4 that they had heard before.

You ask a white person how many racist terms they can come up with for black people? There are MANY out there.

• Thanks

I wouldn't give a rat's ass if a black person called me a cracker.

I'm not an internet tough guy like you. You may very well be able to kick my ass in a fight. That being said, I don't resort to violence just because someone calls me a name. I'm more civilized than that.

I wouldn't give a rat's ass if a black person called me a cracker.
I dont think people care what you think to be honest. If I were to call you a cracker it wouldnt be because I cared how you felt about it.

• Thanks

Your reputation is that of a liar, no one should believe this actually happened.
What Blackrook said happened seems plausible to me because I've often heard blacks call other blacks "That Nigga". That being said, I take personal anecdote posted on USMB with a grain of salt since there is no way I can verify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back