The Obama Boom

Republicans are always wrong:

The Obama Boom

Do you remember the “Bush boom”? Probably not. Anyway, the administration of George W. Bush began its tenure with a recession, followed by an extended “jobless recovery.” By the summer of 2003, however, the economy began adding jobs again. The pace of job creation wasn’t anything special by historical standards, but conservatives insisted that the job gains after that trough represented a huge triumph, a vindication of the Bush tax cuts.

So what should we say about the Obama job record? Private-sector employment — the relevant number, as I’ll explain in a minute — hit its low point in February 2010. Since then we’ve gained 14 million jobs, a figure that startled even me, roughly double the number of jobs added during the supposed Bush boom before it turned into the Great Recession. If that was a boom, this expansion, capped by last month’s really good report, outbooms it by a wide margin.

Does President Obama deserve credit for these gains? No. In general, presidents and their policies matter much less for the economy’s performance than most people imagine. Times of crisis are an exception, and the Obama stimulus plan enacted in 2009 made a big positive difference. But that stimulus faded out fast after 2010, and has very little to do with the economy’s current situation.

The point, however, is that politicians and pundits, especially on the right, constantly insist that presidential policies matter a lot. And Mr. Obama, in particular, has been attacked at every stage of his presidency for policies that his critics allege are “job-killing” — the former House speaker, John Boehner, once used the phrase seven times in less than 14 minutes. So the fact that the Obama job record is as good as it is tells you something about the validity of those attacks.

What did Mr. Obama do that was supposed to kill jobs? Quite a lot, actually. He signed the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial reform, which critics claimed would crush employment by starving businesses of capital. He raised taxes on high incomes, especially at the very top, where average tax rates rose by about six and a half percentage points after 2012, a step that critics claimed would destroy incentives. And he enacted a health reform that went into full effect in 2014, amid claims that it would have catastrophic effects on employment.

Yet none of the dire predicted consequences of these policies have materialized. It’s not just that overall job creation in the private sector — which was what Mr. Obama was supposedly killing — has been strong. More detailed examinations of labor markets also show no evidence of predicted ill effects. For example, there’s no evidence that Obamacare led to a shift from full-time to part-time work, and no evidence that the expansion of Medicaid led to large reductions in labor supply.

So what do we learn from this impressive failure to fail? That the conservative economic orthodoxy dominating the Republican Party is very, very wrong.

*snip*

More at the link.

And they are running on the idea "let us try it again".

Great post and sticks a dagger in the heart of modern conservatism. It pulls back the curtain on the litany of phoney CLAIMS by conservatives that they know economic policy.

The in fact know the opposite. They know how to pull the rug out from under the economy and how to increase the national debt by trillions. THEN they blame it on someone else.

They are children.

The Obama Boom

Do you remember the “Bush boom”? Probably not. Anyway, the administration of George W. Bush began its tenure with a recession, followed by an extended “jobless recovery.” By the summer of 2003, however, the economy began adding jobs again. The pace of job creation wasn’t anything special by historical standards, but conservatives insisted that the job gains after that trough represented a huge triumph, a vindication of the Bush tax cuts.

So what should we say about the Obama job record? Private-sector employment — the relevant number, as I’ll explain in a minute — hit its low point in February 2010. Since then we’ve gained 14 million jobs, a figure that startled even me, roughly double the number of jobs added during the supposed Bush boom before it turned into the Great Recession. If that was a boom, this expansion, capped by last month’s really good report, outbooms it by a wide margin.

Does President Obama deserve credit for these gains? No. In general, presidents and their policies matter much less for the economy’s performance than most people imagine. Times of crisis are an exception, and the Obama stimulus plan enacted in 2009 made a big positive difference. But that stimulus faded out fast after 2010, and has very little to do with the economy’s current situation.

The point, however, is that politicians and pundits, especially on the right, constantly insist that presidential policies matter a lot. And Mr. Obama, in particular, has been attacked at every stage of his presidency for policies that his critics allege are “job-killing” — the former House speaker, John Boehner, once used the phrase seven times in less than 14 minutes. So the fact that the Obama job record is as good as it is tells you something about the validity of those attacks.

What did Mr. Obama do that was supposed to kill jobs? Quite a lot, actually. He signed the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial reform, which critics claimed would crush employment by starving businesses of capital. He raised taxes on high incomes, especially at the very top, where average tax rates rose by about six and a half percentage points after 2012, a step that critics claimed would destroy incentives. And he enacted a health reform that went into full effect in 2014, amid claims that it would have catastrophic effects on employment.

Yet none of the dire predicted consequences of these policies have materialized. It’s not just that overall job creation in the private sector — which was what Mr. Obama was supposedly killing — has been strong. More detailed examinations of labor markets also show no evidence of predicted ill effects. For example, there’s no evidence that Obamacare led to a shift from full-time to part-time work, and no evidence that the expansion of Medicaid led to large reductions in labor supply.

So what do we learn from this impressive failure to fail? That the conservative economic orthodoxy dominating the Republican Party is very, very wrong.

*snip*

More at the link.

Great post and sticks a dagger in the heart of modern conservatism. It pulls back the curtain on the litany of phoney CLAIMS by conservatives that they know economic policy.

The in fact know the opposite. They know how to pull the rug out from under the economy and how to increase the national debt by trillions. THEN they blame it on someone else.

They are children.

It's interesting to note, Isaac...that even in ultra liberal States like Massachusetts the electorate regularly elects Republican Governors to fix their debt problems. They do so, quite obviously, because conservatives actually understand what it takes to reduce debt and you progressives don't!

I know that's a reality that you don't want to admit...but that doesn't make any less a reality! :blowup:

And "children" are those that don't understand that you can't have things that you can't pay for..."adults" understand that concept!

The Obama Boom

*snip*

More at the link.

They are children.

It's interesting to note, Isaac...that even in ultra liberal States like Massachusetts the electorate regularly elects Republican Governors to fix their debt problems. They do so, quite obviously, because conservatives actually understand what it takes to reduce debt and you progressives don't!

I know that's a reality that you don't want to admit...but that doesn't make any less a reality! :blowup:

Thank you for making the point. Conservative CLAIM to know economics, but the reality is opposite.

But you enjoy your denial, it keeps you warm at night. Conservatives are children for whom reality is far too scary.

Why do liberal States like Massachusetts, Michigan and Wisconsin elect conservatives if liberals actually know how to erase debt, Isaac? How can that be? Simple question...give me an answer!

The "truth" (which you obvious don't want to admit to...) is that conservatives are better by nature at balancing budgets than liberals are. Who was running Congress and controlling the purse strings during the Clinton years? Wasn't that the "Contract With America" era? Remind me again who was behind that?

I suppose you are going to tell me that not allowing the completion of the XL pipeline didn't kill any jobs.

Congress doesnt create jobs.

...and scene!
Do you think you've made some sort of point here?
Yes. Either the actions of the Congress result in an increase/decrease in jobs or they do not.

You wingnuts go talk it over and come to some sort of consensus.

Congress passed the XL Keystone pipeline bill that would have created jobs that would have created jobs. There is no question that it would have created jobs. Obama vetoed it.

I suppose you are going to tell me that not allowing the completion of the XL pipeline didn't kill any jobs.

...and scene!
Yes. Either the actions of the Congress result in an increase/decrease in jobs or they do not.

Congress passed the XL Keystone pipeline bill that would have created jobs that would have created jobs. There is no question that it would have created jobs. Obama vetoed it.
COngress would nt create jobs. The companies building the pipeline would have created those jobs. That's the wonder of it. No government funding whatsoever. But Obama killed it. Because he hates American jobs.

...and scene!

COngress would nt create jobs. The companies building the pipeline would have created those jobs. That's the wonder of it. No government funding whatsoever. But Obama killed it. Because he hates American jobs.

The operative word is 'created.' Congress can prevent or allow companies to create jobs so we are arguing semantics. In the XL Pipeline deal, Congress finally passed a bill allowing companies to create jobs and Obama certainly did veto it.

...and scene!

Aha. What we have here is a failure to comprehend.
My point is government cannot and does not create jobs. That is not the same as saying Congress' actions do or do not result in an increase in jobs. Congressional action frequently kills jobs, as we saw in the Keystone Pipeline debacle.
I realize this distinction is way too subtle for someone of your limited intelligence and education. But take my word for it. Or ask an adult.
And if Congress fully funds the FDA, FEC, USDA, IRS, SEC, and about 20 more departments, they would all hire more inspectors, more regulators, creating jobs.

...and scene!

My point is government cannot and does not create jobs. That is not the same as saying Congress' actions do or do not result in an increase in jobs. Congressional action frequently kills jobs, as we saw in the Keystone Pipeline debacle.
I realize this distinction is way too subtle for someone of your limited intelligence and education. But take my word for it. Or ask an adult.
And if Congress fully funds the FDA, FEC, USDA, IRS, SEC, and about 20 more departments, they would all hire more inspectors, more regulators, creating jobs.

Sigh. Who pays for all these government jobs you want created, Synth? The salary fairy? You can artificially created all the government jobs you want but all you're doing is increasing government debt to such a level that the private sector can't possibly support it. Are you REALLY that ignorant about economics that you can't grasp that concept? You need private sector jobs and private sector wealth creation to pay the taxes in order to afford government jobs. If you don't have that...then you can't afford to hire more government workers! It's really not that hard a concept...just use your head for something other than a place to put a hat!

And I'm STILL waiting to hear an explanation from you why the Obama Administration came up with "jobs created or saved"!

...and scene!

Wrong.
This is libtard logic. IN truth all those people get paid out of the Treasury. The Treasury gets that money by taxing productive people. This leaves less money for private business to hire people they otherwise would have. Gov't doesnt create jobs. Gov't steals jobs from the private sector. But they do it less efficiently.

And I'm STILL waiting to hear an explanation from you why the Obama Administration came up with "jobs created or saved"!
I already answered that question.

Tell me: why did baseball statisticians come up with WAR - Wins Above Replacement - a few years ago?

No you didn't answer that question...you made a rather pathetic attempt to dodge that question but you've never come close to answering it!

It's a simple question, Synth...why did the Obama Administration feel compelled to replace the "jobs created" statistic...with "jobs created or saved"? I've maintained that it was done in an attempt to "muddy the water" so that the American people wouldn't know how few jobs you liberals created with your almost 800 billion in stimulus! Would you like to give me some OTHER reason for them to do so?

Forum List

Back