🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Price the Trump Family's Security

You think the increased cost might have something to do with there being seven members of the Trump family where there was only four with Obamas?
Exactly. Everytime I saw Obama and Trump together I always understood that the guy with the slew of kids from three baby mommas was the white guy.

Snippets from the article:

“This is an expensive way to conduct business, and the president should recognize that,” said Tom Fitton, president of the conservative group Judicial Watch, which closely tracked President Barack Obama’s family vacation costs and said that it intends to continue the effort for the Trump administration.

“The unique thing about President Trump is that he knows what it costs to run a plane,” Fitton added, noting that Trump should consider using the presidential retreat of Camp David, a short helicopter ride from the White House, or even his golf course in Northern Virginia. Of Mar-a-Lago, Fitton said, “Going down there ain’t free.”

Presidential families have for decades been guaranteed round-the-clock protection, no matter the expense or destination. Every presidency has brought new operational challenges and lifestyle habits, from George W. Bush’s frequent stays at his remote ranch in Texas to Obama’s annual trips to Martha’s Vineyard and his native state of Hawaii. Judicial Watch estimated that Obama-related travel expenses totaled nearly $97 million over eight years.

But based on the first four weeks, Trump’s presidency appears on track to cost hundreds of millions of dollars more. Agents are now tasked with guarding multiple homes and protecting Trump’s four adult children, including the globe-trotting sons running the family business and daughter Ivanka, whose family recently moved into a Northwest Washington neighborhood.

The best public estimate for the full cost of Trump’s presidential getaways may come from a U.S. Government Accountability Office report in October, which estimated that a four-day trip for President Obama cost taxpayers more than $3.6 million.

In November, when Trump spent a weekend at his Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J., the 8,000-resident township received just 48 hours’ notice demanding an all-hours security detail of six police officers from its 16-officer force.

Township officials have begun preparing for the possibility that Trump will make up to 10 visits this year, including a potentially extended summer stay for the first lady. Officials there offered a projection, based on seven Trump trips, that could cost the township more than $300,000.

“Bedminster is a small municipality with a small police force and a small budget,” Mayor Steven E. Parker (R) wrote in a letter asking for federal help in recouping security costs. “We want to welcome President Trump with open arms, but we don’t wish to burden our taxpayers disproportionately for these visits.”

Be that as it may, this is what I find most (not solely, most) offensive about it:

For Trump, the costs come with an additional perk: Some of the money flows into his own pocket. While Trump has removed himself from managing his company, he has refused to divest his ownership, meaning that he benefits from corporate successes such as government contracts.

The Defense Department and Secret Service, for instance, have sought to rent space in Trump Tower, where leasing a floor can cost $1.5 million a year — though neither agency has disclosed any details. In addition, Trump’s travel to his signature properties while trailed by a press corps beaming images to the world allows the official business of the presidency to double as marketing opportunities for his brand.

You think the increased cost might have something to do with there being seven members of the Trump family where there was only four with Obamas?
Exactly. Everytime I saw Obama and Trump together I always understood that the guy with the slew of kids from three baby mommas was the white guy.
I'm underwhelmed by the brilliance of that response.

Now you know how your mother felt after giving birth to you.

That "Are you going to the race or will be in the States for Memorial Day weekend?" lifestyle Trump lives is what it is, but I don't much like paying for it, at least not to the extent that he's been making it necessary that we all do so. He's the POTUS, so a little "pomp" here and there is fine, but I think that a whole family's worth of that is a bit much. I don't recall the Bush girls being such a costly burden.

Now you know how your mother felt after giving birth to you.
Ohhhhhh having to resort to talking about my mother gee I'm hurt so bad I might not ever be able to post here again oh woe is me. Sheeeesh.

DJT is older -- 70. So he has a bigger family.

BHO was younger -- late 40's. His family was just getting started.
Point is even though trumps going to cost us more than all the previous president combined, it wasn't us who started not picking how much presidents families are costing tax payers. That was you guys. Now you've stopped. Why?

Just pointing out your racism, hypocicy and disrespect for the Obama's.

And you think we're stupid

Republicans always tell you why it's OK when their side spends but not when we spend. Since trump is a business he's always on the clock. Expense/write off everything.

He's running us like a business and the CEO and shareholders get paid first

My brother is a VP in hr. He pays executive bonus'. He says rule number one is feed the generals first. Rule number two is never forget rule number one

That "Are you going to the race or will be in the States for Memorial Day weekend?" lifestyle Trump lives is what it is, but I don't much like paying for it, at least not to the extent that he's been making it necessary that we all do so. He's the POTUS, so a little "pomp" here and there is fine, but I think that a whole family's worth of that is a bit much. I don't recall the Bush girls being such a costly burden.

In fairness, Trump is the oldest President ever and the Bush and Obama girls were much younger when their respective fathers were elected.

Reagan would be the most comparable. One ex-wife and fewer adult children. But the Trumps are jet setting elites running an international conglomerate.

I strongly think that trips abroad should be paid for entirely out of Trump's pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Hell, the money Trump will eventually save by deporting illegals sucking up American taxpayer health and welfare dollars will more than offset wherever and whenever he chooses to fly. And then there's the eventual job creation.........
Once again, Libtards prove that they suck at simple add/subtract math.......:deal:.

In fairness, Trump is the oldest President ever and the Bush and Obama girls were much younger when their respective fathers were elected.

Reagan would be the most comparable. One ex-wife and fewer adult children. But the Trumps are jet setting elites running an international conglomerate.

I strongly think that trips abroad should be paid for entirely out of Trump's pocket.

I agree, that's why I didn't mention Obama. His girls were minors essentially for the whole of his presidency. (Malia turned 18 last year...) As minors, how "jet setting" are they going to do? LOL The Bush girls were college age and then young adults while "W" was POTUS. The "jet setting" they did is about what I'd expect...a few weekends in "in places" from time to time, some appearances at fundraisers, first class travel, etc.....Basically a "typical establishment" private lifestyle for people of their age. I have no issue with that.

Fewer kids: No.
Reagan's kids would be fully comparable. He four living adult children and while he was POTUS, all of them were entitled to SS protection. That's fine too. The quantity of kids isn't the issue in my mind.

Jet Setting Elites:
The issue in my mind is partly that they are "glamorous" jet setters as opposed to low key ones, though I suspect Ivanka has toned it down a bit from when she ran in the Paris Hilton/entertainment celeb "party crowd." More troublesome for me is that the Trumps -- all of them -- will be jetting around the world to manage their business while we're all paying for it, and their security details and accompanying press will pretty much be paying to stay at Trump properties. That means that the people of the U.S. are paying into their pockets a hell of a lot more than the $400K a POTUS earns.

It's the conflict of interest and emoluments part that I don't like I could learn to overlook the mere expense of paying for a lot of "joy rides."

Yes and no. The POTUS certainly has legitimate reasons to travel abroad. I'm fine with paying for those trips.

Having been a principal with an expense account, however, I know the higher one goes on the "food chain" the easier it is to "have a reason to go to "where there's a cool event next weekend" on the company's dime.

Now the only way I know of for "the people" to know with certainty what part of a trip is Trump Co. business and what part is Uncle Sam's is for the SS to track it because nobody else is going to have the ability to do so. The thing is that that's not the job of the SS and they are part of the executive branch and nowhere near as independent as any of the actually independent federal agencies, or the even the FBI for that matter, which isn't all that independent. (The Director does at least serve for a 10 year period, but the POTUS can fire him/her.)

The press can sort of do that, but they can be made to leave a room. The SS, not so much, but even when they aren't in the room, they hear the conversation and what's going on. (I should be clear; what I just shared is the scuttlebutt. I don't know the details of SS procedure. I do know they replace existing electronic devices with their own.)

For the past 8 years, right-wingers have bitterly complained about the costs of security and travel for the Obama Family, but to date, not one right-winger has complained about the horrendous costs and logistical nightmare of providing Secret Security protection for the Trump Administration.

First there's 22 people who are being provided with SS details, two of whom are (Eric and Donald Jr.) who are currently in Dubai opening a new property there.

Trump family’s elaborate lifestyle is a ‘logistical nightmare’ — at taxpayer expense

I've read that the State of New York could provide Section 8 housing for all of the homeless people in New York for less money than they're spending on security to keep Melania and Barron in Trump Tower. The Section 8 would cost $28 million per month, the bill for security for Melania - $30 million per month.

On top of which, the SS are renting accommodations in Trump Tower for the nuclear football, and the NS team. Then there's Mar-a-Lago.

If Melania wants to stay in New York, Trump should be personally paying for the costs of keeping her there. Taxpayers shouldn't have to foot this bill.

Wonderful...I will reply with the traditional rebuttal formerly offered by the left.

Go fuck yourself.
We knew you disrespected Michelle because she's black.

Mark my words Twitler will spend more than all presidents before him combined and you'll defend it

People never disrespected Michelle Obama because she was black.

They disrespected her because she never felt proud to be an American until his worthless and useless husband was president.

Or because she wanted to shove her useless and worthless and tasteless diet down the throats of school kids.

Or because she was a useless and worthless Democrat.

Or because she was the black version of Peg Bundy.

Or because she and her useless and worthless husband were about as racists as anyone could be and pretended to be otherwise.

Or because they were phonies.

Lss then a month and he's flying off to his Florida digs .

Probably charging the Feds for using his hotel to hold his security .

Less than a month and you and your pathetic soul mates like Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters, John Lewis or Chuck Shumer are already flying off the handle about Trump.

Trump would, if he could fly everywhere at his own expense but protocol dictates otherwise. Keep that in mind and shut the hell up about travel expenses for the President and members of his family.

Forum List

Back