The repubican party should fight to legalize pot!

Did I use that line of logic??

No

I said it is a crime because it is against the law

I did not label anything good or bad because that is subjective.. a pot head will tout it as good.. a health nut will tout it as bad...

I stated that making something legal, that is currently illegal, for the sheer purpose of intoxication (because the positive medical benefits are already taken care of with an existing product) is not a good precedent

I also stated that being for 'smaller government' does not mean advocating the abandonment of criminal law

But nice try

Everyone knows the bolded Dave. You just cant seem to form your own opinions or use any sort of logic.

Why do you think it's illegal?

I think you are refusing to go down the line of questions for fear of running out of fresh bullshit.

I would ask if you were willing to answer: Why do you think it's illegal? Why is feeling good wrong ONLY with weed and not other products? How do you justify jailing people for this non violent crime?

But you wont answer because your answers would paint you into the corner labeled "Just Because". You don't want it legalized "just because".

Various reasons WHY.. and none of that really matters..everyone will have an opinion on it ranging from a conspiracy theory to public health.. because people will read more into it than what was stated as the reason by the law makers

How do you justify people in jail for OTHER 'non-violent' crimes then?? Do you only lump this in because you happen to LIKE the intoxication of weed??

I gave you the EXACT reason why.. bad precedent for legalizing purely for the use of intoxication when the 'good' benefits are already available in a product is bad precedent.. you open up a huge can of worms with things like I mentioned (coca leaves, opium, etc)... PRECEDENT MEANS A LOT... do I think weed is overly bad? No.. maybe a bit more bad than tobacco and alcohol... but less bad than other illegal drugs.. but that is a SUBJECTIVE scale...

I will put it in these terms.. since it is illegal, I support keeping it illegal because there is no real positive benefit to changing the status... IF it were legal, would I champion making it ILLEGAL?? No... Because the existing negatives are not overly negative to a huge extent beyond alcohol and tobacco.. and IMHO if you would change the status from legal to illegal for one of those, you would have to do it for all of them... IF there were a medical benefit coming from pot that WERE NOT available in the marinol form, and there was a regulated and tested delivery method (smoking is NEVER an approved method for ANY drug as it is inaccurate and harmful), I would probably support medical pot.. but since there is not, I do not...

You want to smoke weed.. knock yourself out... I personally do not care whether you think it is good or not, just be prepared to pay the piper when/if caught...

Dude, all you had to type was "It's illegal and the reason I want it to stay illegal is because it's illegal"

More circular logic

I wish pot was legal. I would use it to control my pain rather than Hydro-Codone 10/500 X4 per day and Morphine 100mg Extended X2 per day. Worse part is that my pain is always there and those drugs only make it bearable along with Nausea, Constpation and a slight headache. If I don't take these pain medications, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed.

Oh, I forgot, the Hydro-Codone is also giving me hearing loss.

Marijuana should be legalized and this is coming from a person on the Right.

You might have sympathetic pain, if you have pain, you need pot, the more pain you have, the more pot you need.

I know a woman with the same problem. She wants pot, therefore she has pain so that she justifies her using the pot. She's now bedridden with pain. The more pot she uses, the more she needs it to control her pain. It's all mental gymnastics to keep the pot going.

Everyone knows the bolded Dave. You just cant seem to form your own opinions or use any sort of logic.

Why do you think it's illegal?

I think you are refusing to go down the line of questions for fear of running out of fresh bullshit.

I would ask if you were willing to answer: Why do you think it's illegal? Why is feeling good wrong ONLY with weed and not other products? How do you justify jailing people for this non violent crime?

But you wont answer because your answers would paint you into the corner labeled "Just Because". You don't want it legalized "just because".

Various reasons WHY.. and none of that really matters..everyone will have an opinion on it ranging from a conspiracy theory to public health.. because people will read more into it than what was stated as the reason by the law makers

How do you justify people in jail for OTHER 'non-violent' crimes then?? Do you only lump this in because you happen to LIKE the intoxication of weed??

I gave you the EXACT reason why.. bad precedent for legalizing purely for the use of intoxication when the 'good' benefits are already available in a product is bad precedent.. you open up a huge can of worms with things like I mentioned (coca leaves, opium, etc)... PRECEDENT MEANS A LOT... do I think weed is overly bad? No.. maybe a bit more bad than tobacco and alcohol... but less bad than other illegal drugs.. but that is a SUBJECTIVE scale...

I will put it in these terms.. since it is illegal, I support keeping it illegal because there is no real positive benefit to changing the status... IF it were legal, would I champion making it ILLEGAL?? No... Because the existing negatives are not overly negative to a huge extent beyond alcohol and tobacco.. and IMHO if you would change the status from legal to illegal for one of those, you would have to do it for all of them... IF there were a medical benefit coming from pot that WERE NOT available in the marinol form, and there was a regulated and tested delivery method (smoking is NEVER an approved method for ANY drug as it is inaccurate and harmful), I would probably support medical pot.. but since there is not, I do not...

You want to smoke weed.. knock yourself out... I personally do not care whether you think it is good or not, just be prepared to pay the piper when/if caught...

Dude, all you had to type was "It's illegal and the reason I want it to stay illegal is because it's illegal"

More circular logic

BECAUSE THERE IS NO COMPELLING REASON OR OBVIOUS POSITIVE RESULT OF THE LEGALIZATION OF IT.. it is BAD PRECEDENT

First you want a specific explanation.. then you scoff at it.. you are ridiculous

Last edited:
Then why stop there?? Why not meth?? Why not coca leaves?? Why not opium?? Why not public masturbation into a sock?

To focus on 'violent' crimes, why not stop enforcing speeding or traffic laws? Why not legalize slander? Why not legalize all sorts of other things that are not 'violent'? We gotta focus on the 'violent crimes' after all :rolleyes:

Law enforcement can actually enforce more than one type of crime.. the courts can try more than one type of crime.. and the prison system can house more than one type of criminal

So... by your 'logic' since I am for keeping the status quo on illegal substances, I am then the same as being for the expansion of illegal substances like they did with alcohol prohibition?? :rolleyes:

Wow talk about taking an argument to ridiculous extremes!

Keep up the good work Dave.

Excuse me?? MATTHEW was the one giving the reasoning 'to focus on violent crimes'... I showed the ridiculousness of this stupid argument...

Law enforcement, the legal system, and the courts can indeed handle enforcing more than one type of crime

There is no excuse for the "Why stop there" argument.

The laws against marijuana are more harmful to society than the effects of the drug itself. The laws need to change. IMHO.

no one ever died from smoking weed.

putting someone in jail is more unhealthy

Marijuana Causes Many Deaths Reported as 'Accidents'

Marijuana use is much more dangerous than believed and hundreds of young people die each year in "accidents" caused by their prolonged use of the drug, according to Britain's most senior coroner.
Hamish Turner, the president of the Coroners' Society, told The Telegraph that the marijuana, often portrayed as harmless, has increasingly been the cause of deaths that have been reported as accidents or suicides.

"Cannabis is as dangerous as any other drug and people must understand that it kills," said Mr Turner

Then there's killing other people.

Crane operator allegedly high on marijuana to be charged with manslaughter in Philly collapse - News Nation - Boston.com

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A 42-year-old man who was allegedly high while operating demolition equipment when a downtown building collapsed and killed six people will be charged with involuntary manslaughter, a top city official said Friday.

A toxicology report, witness statements, and other evidence shows Benschop was high on marijuana that day, Gillison said.

Benschop, who also goes by the name Kary Roberts, has been arrested at least 11 times since 1994 on charges ranging from drugs to theft to weapons possession.

More circular logic

BECAUSE THERE IS NO COMPELLING REASON OR OBVIOUS POSITIVE RESULT OF THE LEGALIZATION OF IT

First you want a specific explanation.. then you scoff at it.. you are ridiculous

Hey Dave, Positive Result number friggin UNO: Citizens wont be locked up for a harmless activity
Postitive Result number 2: Those citizens can live their lives outside of prison and contribute to society
Postitive Result number 3: Tax dollars saved on jailing a recreationation harmless activity

Now tell me how those aren't positive results.

no one ever died from smoking weed.

putting someone in jail is more unhealthy

Marijuana Causes Many Deaths Reported as 'Accidents'

Marijuana use is much more dangerous than believed and hundreds of young people die each year in "accidents" caused by their prolonged use of the drug, according to Britain's most senior coroner.
Hamish Turner, the president of the Coroners' Society, told The Telegraph that the marijuana, often portrayed as harmless, has increasingly been the cause of deaths that have been reported as accidents or suicides.

"Cannabis is as dangerous as any other drug and people must understand that it kills," said Mr Turner

Then there's killing other people.

Crane operator allegedly high on marijuana to be charged with manslaughter in Philly collapse - News Nation - Boston.com

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A 42-year-old man who was allegedly high while operating demolition equipment when a downtown building collapsed and killed six people will be charged with involuntary manslaughter, a top city official said Friday.

A toxicology report, witness statements, and other evidence shows Benschop was high on marijuana that day, Gillison said.

Benschop, who also goes by the name Kary Roberts, has been arrested at least 11 times since 1994 on charges ranging from drugs to theft to weapons possession.

show us a death cert with smoking weed as a cause of death

Wow talk about taking an argument to ridiculous extremes!

Keep up the good work Dave.

Excuse me?? MATTHEW was the one giving the reasoning 'to focus on violent crimes'... I showed the ridiculousness of this stupid argument...

Law enforcement, the legal system, and the courts can indeed handle enforcing more than one type of crime

The laws against marijuana are more harmful to society than the effects of the drug itself. The laws need to change. IMHO.

It is your OPINION that it is less harmful... yet you feel that if someone else feels it is less harmful to then stay on the same track and call for the legalization of something else that is 'non-violent' it is am inexcusable argument... priceless

the 'why stop there' argument is indeed applicable when discussion PRECEDENT that would be made

More circular logic

BECAUSE THERE IS NO COMPELLING REASON OR OBVIOUS POSITIVE RESULT OF THE LEGALIZATION OF IT

Hey Dave, Positive Result number friggin UNO: Citizens wont be locked up for a harmless activity
Postitive Result number 2: Those citizens can live their lives outside of prison and contribute to society
Postitive Result number 3: Tax dollars saved on jailing a recreationation harmless activity

So it is only to keep people out of jail? That can be done with even less 'harmful' activities that are illegal...

Again... the positive benefits of the substance are already available... without the high. without the impairment, etc

I guess anything that is recreational should be legal then.... I can recreationally chew coca leaves.. I can recreationally masturbate in public... I can recreationally make loud noises in public at 3AM... NONE OF IT REALLY CAUSES HARM :rolleyes:

It is not a positive result when you have people outside of jail that are willing to break a law

To change something from illegal to legal PURELY on the aspect of intoxication is not a good precedent

It is your OPINION that it is less harmful... yet you feel that if someone else feels it is less harmful to then stay on the same track and call for the legalization of something else that is 'non-violent' it is am inexcusable argument... priceless

the 'why stop there' argument is indeed applicable when discussion PRECEDENT that would be made

How you get from legalizing/regulating Marijuana use to legalizing publically masturbating into a sock? If you had left it at coco leaves or poppy plants you might have a discussion but to take the Santorum route shows you're just disingenuous.

So it is only to keep people out of jail? That can be done with even less 'harmful' activities that are illegal...

Again... the positive benefits of the substance are already available... without the high. without the impairment, etc

I guess anything that is recreational should be legal then.... I can recreationally chew coca leaves.. I can recreationally masturbate in public... I can recreationally make loud noises in public at 3AM... NONE OF IT REALLY CAUSES HARM :rolleyes:

It is not a positive result when you have people outside of jail that are willing to break a law

To change something from illegal to legal PURELY on the aspect of intoxication is not a good precedent

You're getting off course Dave. You said there is no benefits to legalization. I gave you benefits. Now you're moving onto legalization of everything.

Are those not benefits to legalization? Since your only cry was there wasn't any benefit and now you see there is, are you still against legalization for some entirely different reason now?

Do you like being lied to?

Really? Would anyone really answer "yes" to that question? :lol:

I'm somewhat familiar with the history of marijuana. However, today it's a different ball of wax. MJ isn't a "black drug"...it's a recreational drug that all sorts of folks partake of and the drug laws regarding it are seriously antiquated.

States are passing legalization laws while meanwhile on the Federal level it remains illegal and we're spending a ton of money to irradicate it. Let's legalize it and balace the budget!

If the Reps did all of a sudden back it's legalization they just may regain some votes from those sitting on the fence. And who knows...perhaps some cross over Dem votes as well.

The Reps need to be bold...and not with the likes of a Sarah Palin again!!! Stupid strategy, that was!

why hasn't Obama and the Dem party advanced Federal legislation?

Last edited:
Do you like being lied to?

Really? Would anyone really answer "yes" to that question? :lol:

I'm somewhat familiar with the history of marijuana. However, today it's a different ball of wax. MJ isn't a "black drug"...it's a recreational drug that all sorts of folks partake of and the drug laws regarding it are seriously antiquated.

States are passing legalization laws while meanwhile on the Federal level it remains illegal and we're spending a ton of money to irradicate it. Let's legalize it and balace the budget!

If the Reps did all of a sudden back it's legalization they just may regain some votes from those sitting on the fence. And who knows...perhaps some cross over Dem votes as well.

The Reps need to be bold...and not with the likes of a Sarah Palin again!!! Stupid strategy, that was!

why hasn't Obama and the Dem party advanced Federal legislation?

BEcause their corporate masters won't let them.

Again, no one has addressed the issue of policing driving while stoned. Of course we could just legalize that too and it wont be a problem.

What everyone seems to be overlooking here is that even with marijuana being illegal, it hasn't stopped people from using it as a recreational drug. The government however is screwed out of the tax dollars that they would otherwise have if indeed it was legalized.

The government is screwing itself with keeping things status quo. Our tax dollars are going towards fighting a losing battle that will never be won. :shrug:

no one has addressed the issue of policing driving while stoned.

Same laws as alcohol has now.

Oh...and while we're at it, let's make it illegal under the age of 18 or 21 as well...just like alcohol. I mean...what's the difference?...alcohol or pot?

Forum List

Back