The tragedy that is the Obama economy - A staggering percentage of Americans are too poor to shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

owebo

Gold Member
Jul 4, 2016
Democrat Trickle up poverty is working all too well it seem....

A staggering percentage of Americans are too poor to shop

Retailers have blamed the weather, slow job growth and millennials for their poor results this past year, but a new study claims that more than 20 percent of Americans are simply too poor to shop.

These 26 million Americans are juggling two to three jobs, earning just around $27,000 a year and supporting two to four children — and exist largely under the radar, according to America’s Research Group, which has been tracking consumer shopping trends since 1979.

“The poorest Americans have stopped shopping, except for necessities,” said Britt Beemer, chairman of ARG.

Beemer has been tracking this subgroup for two years, ever since his weekly surveys of 15,000 consumers picked up that 21 percent of consumers did not finish their Christmas shopping in 2014 due to being too busy working. That number grew to 29 percent last year, and Beemer dug in to learn more about them, calling them on holidays.

He estimates that this group has swelled from 6 million households four years ago, because their incomes have not kept pace with expenses like medical costs.

Nearly half of all Americans have not seen an increase in salary over the last five to seven years, and another 28 percent have seen their take-home pay reduced by higher medical insurance deductions or switching to part-time jobs, ARG found.

“It’s scary when you start to see things that you’ve never seen before,” said Beemer. “People are so pessimistic about their future.”

Most of those living on the edge — 68 percent are women between the ages of 28 and 38 — work in retail or in call centers, according to Beemer.

Another sign that a chunk of the population has pulled back its spending is that discounters like Walmart and the Dollar Store have been “holding their own,” said Richard Church, managing director of Discern Securities.

So long as white trash Americans vote republican plutocrats into office they will continue to be poor. Kinda simple really. Oh and full disclosure our family growing up would have fit into the PWT category near the bottom. lol

Americans don't support America, very simple, tax breaks etc go to the rich who outsource your work to make a buck. Ever since Civil rights and the rise of the religious bigoted right, Americans have become dumber as Trump's appeal proves. Kansas and the South represent 'cut off your nose' politics of the conservative republican today. Stupidity times ten.

Jobs and work - build here make here, simple stuff but too complex for conservatives.

A World Without Work?

The Greatest Job Creator Of All Time

The deep roots of “white trash” in America: “Not only are we not a post-racial society, we are certainly not a post-class society”

Every time I come back to USMB I see the same nitwits posting the same BS, unreal.

Unions buy america: Writing Unions Out of the Story on Fighting Poverty

Dog Whistle Politics

Trump doubles down on claim that US 'wages are too high

So long as white trash Americans vote republican plutocrats into office they will continue to be poor. Kinda simple really. Oh and full disclosure our family growing up would have fit into the PWT category near the bottom. lol

Americans don't support America, very simple, tax breaks etc go to the rich who outsource your work to make a buck. Ever since Civil rights and the rise of the religious bigoted right, Americans have become dumber as Trump's appeal proves. Kansas and the South represent 'cut off your nose' politics of the conservative republican today. Stupidity times ten.

Jobs and work - build here make here, simple stuff but too complex for conservatives.

A World Without Work?

The deep roots of “white trash” in America: “Not only are we not a post-racial society, we are certainly not a post-class society”

Every time I come back to USMB I see the same nitwits posting the same BS, unreal.

Dog Whistle Politics

It's a shame how you democrats manufacture poor people just to keep them on your plantition to vote democrat...it's nothing but a democrat racist do loop, robbing the coices of people so they don't have to hear them complain about what the democrats are doing to them....

Retailers have blamed the weather, slow job growth and millennials for their poor results this past year, but a new study claims that more than 20 percent of Americans are simply too poor to shop.

These 26 million Americans are juggling two to three jobs, earning just around $27,000 a year and supporting two to four children — and exist largely under the radar, according to America’s Research Group, which has been tracking consumer shopping trends since 1979.

“The poorest Americans have stopped shopping, except for necessities,” said Britt Beemer, chairman of ARG.

Beemer has been tracking this subgroup for two years, ever since his weekly surveys of 15,000 consumers picked up that 21 percent of consumers did not finish their Christmas shopping in 2014 due to being too busy working. That number grew to 29 percent last year, and Beemer dug in to learn more about them, calling them on holidays.

He estimates that this group has swelled from 6 million households four years ago, because their incomes have not kept pace with expenses like medical costs.

Nearly half of all Americans have not seen an increase in salary over the last five to seven years, and another 28 percent have seen their take-home pay reduced by higher medical insurance deductions or switching to part-time jobs, ARG found.

“It’s scary when you start to see things that you’ve never seen before,” said Beemer. “People are so pessimistic about their future.”

Most of those living on the edge — 68 percent are women between the ages of 28 and 38 — work in retail or in call centers, according to Beemer.

Another sign that a chunk of the population has pulled back its spending is that discounters like Walmart and the Dollar Store have been “holding their own,” said Richard Church, managing director of Discern Securities.

Why do you blame Obama? Why don't you blame those people aren't earning enough to be able to buy what they need?

Why do you blame Obama? Why don't you blame those people aren't earning enough to be able to buy what they need?
Why would I be concerned with people too stupid to make better choices? I am concerned with people not having choices because Obama shipped them to China....

A World Without Work?

Dog Whistle Politics

I know, right?

We have 5.8 million unfilled jobs and unskilled Republicans complain there aren't any jobs and it's Obama's fault. What ever happened to them screaming about personal responsibility? Why is it always Obama's fault?

America has near record 5.8 million job openings

Why would I be concerned with people too stupid to make better choices? I am concerned with people not having choices because Obama shipped them to China....

People always have choices. If people aren't earning enough to pay for what they need, then they need to go find a new job, and/or become more valuable to earn more money. Go back to school, learn a new trade. Whatever they want.

A World Without Work?

Dog Whistle Politics

I know, right?

We have 5.8 million unfilled jobs and unskilled Republicans complain there aren't any jobs and it's Obama's fault. What ever happened to them screaming about personal responsibility? Why is it always Obama's fault?

America has near record 5.8 million job openings
I know, right...it's all race to the bottom with Obama....

People always have choices. If people aren't earning enough to pay for what they need, then they need to go find a new job, and/or become more valuable to earn more money. Go back to school, learn a new trade. Whatever they want.
Not everyone can be a rocket scientist. But all rockets need widgets or they won't work, and the best choices some Americans made allow them to be the best widget makers in the world...but democrats, and Obama shipped the widget jobs overseas...

Not everyone can be a rocket scientist. But all rockets need widgets or they won't work, and the best choices some Americans made allow them to be the best widget makers in the world...but democrats, and Obama shipped the widget jobs overseas...

Every last thing you are saying is the blathering liberal whiny shit that they constantly complain about. Every. Last. One.

Every last thing you are saying is the blathering liberal whiny shit that they constantly complain about. Every. Last. One.
English child...please repeat that in non liberal English....

Your concession is noted.

A World Without Work?

Dog Whistle Politics

Another scrum bag democrat speaks and can't figure out why his tax Bill is up and every one is leaving the hell hole he created

Not to mention most of the poor dropped out of school and to get a job not fast food related they need a high school diploma.

Because of the Obama administration destroying several industries and shipping jobs out. We now have the uneducated poor, high school kids,college kids, office personnel and blue collar workers all vying for the same part time work because in a lot of cases it's all that's out there.

The only English you know scum bag is rap...

Sorry turn on a fucking radio station

Your concession is noted.
As is your ignorance....

The only English you know scum bag is rap...

Sorry turn on a fucking radio station
Can you translate his liberal blathering?

that seems so simple. All a person who has gotten trapped in their circumstances has to do is change their circumstances, easy peasy.

But what of the person, whom this article is apparently talking about, is already working two low paying jobs. When are they going to school?

I don't have a good answer. What I do know that when going even to Walmart I better have a butt load of money with me. Anywhere else I better have two butt loads.

What I think is the ONLY answer is people need to stop having children they have no way of supporting. Or they have their kids and just stop bitchin about how much it costs.

Getting an education and working their way out seems like the best alternative but that just isn't going to happen for a lot of these people.

Democrats have already given up on people trying to better themselves, what do you think the 15 dollars/hour is all about?

that seems so simple. All a person who has gotten trapped in their circumstances has to do is change their circumstances, easy peasy.

But what of the person, whom this article is apparently talking about, is already working two low paying jobs. When are they going to school?

I don't have a good answer. What I do know that when going even to Walmart I better have a butt load of money with me. Anywhere else I better have two butt loads.

What I think is the ONLY answer is people need to stop having children they have no way of supporting. Or they have their kids and just stop bitchin about how much it costs.

Getting an education and working their way out seems like the best alternative but that just isn't going to happen for a lot of these people.

Democrats have already given up on people trying to better themselves, what do you think the 15 dollars/hour is all about?

So now you're a liberal?

So now you're a liberal?

So now you have a better understanding of being a true conservative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back