The tragedy that is the Obama economy - A staggering percentage of Americans are too poor to shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would I be concerned with people too stupid to make better choices? I am concerned with people not having choices because Obama shipped them to China....

People always have choices. If people aren't earning enough to pay for what they need, then they need to go find a new job, and/or become more valuable to earn more money. Go back to school, learn a new trade. Whatever they want.

that seems so simple. All a person who has gotten trapped in their circumstances has to do is change their circumstances, easy peasy.

But what of the person, whom this article is apparently talking about, is already working two low paying jobs. When are they going to school?

I don't have a good answer. What I do know that when going even to Walmart I better have a butt load of money with me. Anywhere else I better have two butt loads.

What I think is the ONLY answer is people need to stop having children they have no way of supporting. Or they have their kids and just stop bitchin about how much it costs.

Getting an education and working their way out seems like the best alternative but that just isn't going to happen for a lot of these people.

Democrats have already given up on people trying to better themselves, what do you think the 15 dollars/hour is all about?

So now you're a liberal?

So now you have a better understanding of being a true conservative?

Better than you. You think it means saying whatever stupid shit your mind comes up with when hating Obama gives you a chubby.

Why would I be concerned with people too stupid to make better choices? I am concerned with people not having choices because Obama shipped them to China....

People always have choices. If people aren't earning enough to pay for what they need, then they need to go find a new job, and/or become more valuable to earn more money. Go back to school, learn a new trade. Whatever they want.

that seems so simple. All a person who has gotten trapped in their circumstances has to do is change their circumstances, easy peasy.

But what of the person, whom this article is apparently talking about, is already working two low paying jobs. When are they going to school?

I don't have a good answer. What I do know that when going even to Walmart I better have a butt load of money with me. Anywhere else I better have two butt loads.

What I think is the ONLY answer is people need to stop having children they have no way of supporting. Or they have their kids and just stop bitchin about how much it costs.

Getting an education and working their way out seems like the best alternative but that just isn't going to happen for a lot of these people.

Democrats have already given up on people trying to better themselves, what do you think the 15 dollars/hour is all about?

So now you're a liberal?

Better than you. You think it means saying whatever stupid shit your mind comes up with when hating Obama gives you a chubby.
Looks like your Obama love gets you excited....:lol:

While Freewill is now playing a victim card argument so he can get his rocks off bitching about Obama, he has been known to take the exact opposite in the past when it's politically expedient. For example, while Freewill is, in this thread, crying crocodile tears because "awww, the widdle poor people haz no other choice but to work in shitty jobs," he previously has said exactly what I said, to which he is now objecting.

Those working at Walmart ought to quit if they don't like the conditions.

Meanwhile I'll continue shopping for the lowest price, which is Walmart.

So now you're a liberal?

Interesting, where did I mention Obama? Didn't. But you not being smart enough to formulate your own response resort to stupid liberal talking points.

You understand nothing.

And your trying to be sarcastic while pretending to be conservative is absolutely juvenile.

Interesting, where did I mention Obama? Didn't. But you not being smart enough to formulate your own response resort to stupid liberal talking points.

You understand nothing.

And your trying to be sarcastic while pretending to be conservative is absolutely juvenile.

In a thread entitled "The tragedy that is the Obama Economy .... " and where everything you are saying is a word-for-word recitation of the liberal, you actually just posted that? God damn you are one stupid son of a bitch. Report to the slaughterhouse immediately so you can be pureed into livestock feed.

Democrat Trickle up poverty is working all too well it seem....

A staggering percentage of Americans are too poor to shop

Retailers have blamed the weather, slow job growth and millennials for their poor results this past year, but a new study claims that more than 20 percent of Americans are simply too poor to shop.

These 26 million Americans are juggling two to three jobs, earning just around $27,000 a year and supporting two to four children — and exist largely under the radar, according to America’s Research Group, which has been tracking consumer shopping trends since 1979.

“The poorest Americans have stopped shopping, except for necessities,” said Britt Beemer, chairman of ARG.

Beemer has been tracking this subgroup for two years, ever since his weekly surveys of 15,000 consumers picked up that 21 percent of consumers did not finish their Christmas shopping in 2014 due to being too busy working. That number grew to 29 percent last year, and Beemer dug in to learn more about them, calling them on holidays.

He estimates that this group has swelled from 6 million households four years ago, because their incomes have not kept pace with expenses like medical costs.

Nearly half of all Americans have not seen an increase in salary over the last five to seven years, and another 28 percent have seen their take-home pay reduced by higher medical insurance deductions or switching to part-time jobs, ARG found.

“It’s scary when you start to see things that you’ve never seen before,” said Beemer. “People are so pessimistic about their future.”

Most of those living on the edge — 68 percent are women between the ages of 28 and 38 — work in retail or in call centers, according to Beemer.

Another sign that a chunk of the population has pulled back its spending is that discounters like Walmart and the Dollar Store have been “holding their own,” said Richard Church, managing director of Discern Securities.
And who got America into this situation? It was not Ovama, but idiot racists like you will blame him for anything.

While Freewill is now playing a victim card argument so he can get his rocks off bitching about Obama, he has been known to take the exact opposite in the past when it's politically expedient. For example, while Freewill is, in this thread, crying crocodile tears because "awww, the widdle poor people haz no other choice but to work in shitty jobs," he previously has said exactly what I said, to which he is now objecting.

Wow you really don't like being called out when you pretend to be anything like a conservative.

Here is what I think is the only post I commented on, it is from you.

"People always have choices. If people aren't earning enough to pay for what they need, then they need to go find a new job, and/or become more valuable to earn more money. Go back to school, learn a new trade. Whatever they want."

Now everyone knows what you are doing is being fake like most liberals. You are trying to sound like your perception of being conservative. Fake.

My mistake is to once again think that honest discussion can be obtained on a message board. It is pretty much impossible with folks like you.

Retailers have blamed the weather, slow job growth and millennials for their poor results this past year, but a new study claims that more than 20 percent of Americans are simply too poor to shop.

These 26 million Americans are juggling two to three jobs, earning just around $27,000 a year and supporting two to four children — and exist largely under the radar, according to America’s Research Group, which has been tracking consumer shopping trends since 1979.

“The poorest Americans have stopped shopping, except for necessities,” said Britt Beemer, chairman of ARG.

Beemer has been tracking this subgroup for two years, ever since his weekly surveys of 15,000 consumers picked up that 21 percent of consumers did not finish their Christmas shopping in 2014 due to being too busy working. That number grew to 29 percent last year, and Beemer dug in to learn more about them, calling them on holidays.

He estimates that this group has swelled from 6 million households four years ago, because their incomes have not kept pace with expenses like medical costs.

Nearly half of all Americans have not seen an increase in salary over the last five to seven years, and another 28 percent have seen their take-home pay reduced by higher medical insurance deductions or switching to part-time jobs, ARG found.

“It’s scary when you start to see things that you’ve never seen before,” said Beemer. “People are so pessimistic about their future.”

Most of those living on the edge — 68 percent are women between the ages of 28 and 38 — work in retail or in call centers, according to Beemer.

Another sign that a chunk of the population has pulled back its spending is that discounters like Walmart and the Dollar Store have been “holding their own,” said Richard Church, managing director of Discern Securities.
And who got America into this situation? It was not Ovama, but idiot racists like you will blame him for anything.
Who can't get us out? You fucktard racist....you only voted Obama because of his skin color else you're a complete fucking liberal moron.....

You have GOT to be a paid shill.

Him being president for almost 8 years absolves him?

You are correct though, Bill and Hillary Clinton did more to hurt the working poor with NAFTA then any other presidents.

Used to be a uneducated low skilled man could get a mill job and still have enough to raise a family. Now they are forced to work at Harbor Freight where they sell the goods now made in China.

You are correct though, Bill and Hillary Clinton did more to hurt the working poor with NAFTA then any other presidents.

Used to be a uneducated low skilled man could get a mill job and still have enough to raise a family. Now they are forced to work at Harbor Freight where they sell the goods now made in China.
Goods that they previously used to be proud to manufacture....

It is truly a tragedy what democrats have done.....

OP- Blaming Obama is ridiculous- his policies have been mindlessly blocked for eight years, and the nonrich killing Reaganism rolls on, defended to the death by bought of Pubs and bs spewing Fox Rush etc etc etc.

The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.

Over the past 35 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:

1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.

Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.

But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):

1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%

A 13% drop since 1980

2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:

1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%

An increase of 16% since Reagan.

3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.

1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)

A 12.3% drop after Reagan.

4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:

1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%

A 45% increase after 1980.

5. SO THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICHEST AND THE POOREST HAS GROWN.

Gap Between the Share of Capital Income earned by the top 1%
and the bottom 80%:

1980 = 10%
2003 = 56%

A 5.6 times increase.

6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.

The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:

1945 = 12%
1958 = 6%
1990 = 3%
2000 = 2%

A 10% Decrease.

Links:

1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = Clipboard01.jpg (image)
2 – Congratulations to Emmanuel Saez
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)
4 = Federated Prudent Bear Fund (A): Overview
4 = FRB: Z.1 Release--Financial Accounts of the United States--June 9, 2016
5/6 = 15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Wealth And Inequality In America

Overview = http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010062415/reagan-revolution-home-roost-charts

Wow you really don't like being called out when you pretend to be anything like a conservative.

Here is what I think is the only post I commented on, it is from you.

"People always have choices. If people aren't earning enough to pay for what they need, then they need to go find a new job, and/or become more valuable to earn more money. Go back to school, learn a new trade. Whatever they want."

Now everyone knows what you are doing is being fake like most liberals. You are trying to sound like your perception of being conservative. Fake.

My mistake is to once again think that honest discussion can be obtained on a message board. It is pretty much impossible with folks like you.

:uhh: You're sitting here reciting liberal arguments verbatim, and you call other people fake conservatives?

:dig:

OP- Blaming Obama is ridiculous- his policies have been mindlessly blocked for eight years, and the nonrich killing Reaganism rolls on, defended to the death by bought of Pubs and bs spewing Fox Rush etc etc etc.

The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.

Over the past 35 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:

1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.

Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.

But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):

1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%

A 13% drop since 1980

2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:

1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%

An increase of 16% since Reagan.

3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.

1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)

A 12.3% drop after Reagan.

4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:

1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%

A 45% increase after 1980.

5. SO THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICHEST AND THE POOREST HAS GROWN.

Gap Between the Share of Capital Income earned by the top 1%
and the bottom 80%:

1980 = 10%
2003 = 56%

A 5.6 times increase.

6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.

The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:

1945 = 12%
1958 = 6%
1990 = 3%
2000 = 2%

A 10% Decrease.

Links:

1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = Clipboard01.jpg (image)
2 – Congratulations to Emmanuel Saez
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)
4 = Federated Prudent Bear Fund (A): Overview
4 = FRB: Z.1 Release--Financial Accounts of the United States--June 9, 2016
5/6 = 15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Wealth And Inequality In America

Overview = http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010062415/reagan-revolution-home-roost-charts
So, you're saying Obama has not been potus for the past 8 years? Link? :lol:

NAFTA was written by GW Booosh and sabotaged by GOP unwillingness to fund training for the good jobs NAFTA has produced, now to an ridiculous extent. Those jobs went to Germany and other modern countries with no idiot, party first GOP...

People always have choices. If people aren't earning enough to pay for what they need, then they need to go find a new job, and/or become more valuable to earn more money. Go back to school, learn a new trade. Whatever they want.[/QUOTE]

Your a republican and are well aware of the illegals driving down wages and taking millions upon millions of jobs and your aware of the H1B visa's takin the tech jobs and driving down wages there...your aware of the declining wages for 45 years now and your well aware of our jobs going overseas and south but still you talk like opportunity is the same as in 1965. What fkn planet do you live on?
Your part of the problem.

You understand nothing.

In a thread entitled "The tragedy that is the Obama Economy .... " and where everything you are saying is a word-for-word recitation of the liberal, you actually just posted that? God damn you are one stupid son of a bitch. Report to the slaughterhouse immediately so you can be pureed into livestock feed.

I will make a note to never respond to what a poster might post, being fake or not.

But then again, although I didn't make the subject line the point of my post, Obama IS president and has been. Why isn't this his economy? Wasn't someone just posting about how great the jobs numbers are? They did that in spite of the fact that the number of unemployed actually went up?

So you keep on pretending you are a conservative, it ain't working. And I'll keep on being conservative posting the truth.

NAFTA was written by GW Booosh and sabotaged by GOP unwillingness to fund training for the good jobs NAFTA has produced, now to an ridiculous extent. Those jobs went to Germany and other modern countries with no idiot, party first GOP...
You mean the nafta signed by Clinton?

You understand nothing.

I will make a note to never respond to what a poster might post, being fake or not.

But then again, although I didn't make the subject line the point of my post, Obama IS president and has been. Why isn't this his economy? Wasn't someone just posting about how great the jobs numbers are? They did that in spite of the fact that the number of unemployed actually went up?

So you keep on pretending you are a conservative, it ain't working. And I'll keep on being conservative posting the truth.

:blahblah:

So, personal responsibility no longer applies if we can blame things on a President you don't like. Fucking retard.

You mean the nafta signed by Clinton?
Yes, and written by the GOP, who then blocked the promised follow thru. Need a diagram? Same with repeal of Glass-Steagle (sic?)....so you're duped AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back