Votes: 74 29.7%
  • Bigoted

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
The ultimate manifestation of liberal tolerance is to turn an indifferent yet respectful eye to that which not only offends but views you as abhorrent.

huggy and joe need some chill pills.

I don't think Mormonism is God's reveal truth in these the Latter Days. Truly don't.

But I doubt our LDS friends here are any more devilish or angelic than any of the rest of us for their beliefs.

My goodness. What I see is the typical mental illness of atheists gone bonkers. Not all atheists by stretch are as bonkers as these two on this issue.

Here's my problem with it. I hope for a day when we all learn how to cope with death and don't need magic sky pixies to allay our fears. At the bottom of it, that's what ALL religions are. Unlike other animals, we know we are mortal, and it terrifies us, the notion that we will cease to be at some point. And when those we love leave before us, it terrifies us a little more.

How do you know that we will "cease to be' at some point?

Is that what your religion teaches?

huggy and joe need some chill pills.

I don't think Mormonism is God's reveal truth in these the Latter Days. Truly don't.

But I doubt our LDS friends here are any more devilish or angelic than any of the rest of us for their beliefs.

My goodness. What I see is the typical mental illness of atheists gone bonkers. Not all atheists by stretch are as bonkers as these two on this issue.

Here's my problem with it. I hope for a day when we all learn how to cope with death and don't need magic sky pixies to allay our fears. At the bottom of it, that's what ALL religions are. Unlike other animals, we know we are mortal, and it terrifies us, the notion that we will cease to be at some point. And when those we love leave before us, it terrifies us a little more.

We all die. When we die, we cease to be. The chemical reactions in our brains stop and we are no longer what we believe ourselves to be.

There is no scientific evidence of life after death, but religions- ALL of them - teach that there is. Further, they teach that if you don't follow their silly rules, you'll get some horrific and pointless punishment.

JoeB, buddy, you waste our time about you whining about deity and religion and whatever nonsense that is percolating in your swiss-cheesed brain pan. But we put up with it, and you get to do the same with me. Hang in there, buddy.

JoeB, buddy, you waste our time about you whining about deity and religion and whatever nonsense that is percolating in your swiss-cheesed brain pan. But we put up with it, and you get to do the same with me. Hang in there, buddy.

Oooooh, looks like I hit a tender spot....

Actually, you're the only one whining about the discussions I put forward. Even liberals admit I put forth a sensible argument on my positions...

Now quit wasting my time unless you actually have something of substance to say..

We all die. When we die, we cease to be. The chemical reactions in our brains stop and we are no longer what we believe ourselves to be.

There is no scientific evidence of life after death, but religions- ALL of them - teach that there is. Further, they teach that if you don't follow their silly rules, you'll get some horrific and pointless punishment.

There is no scientific proof of life after death. There is some interesting evidence that there is, however.

The belief that we cease to be when our physical bodies die is a religious belief. There is no scientific proof of that either.

It's possible that you're right. I don't think you are, so I'll add you to my list of people to send "I told you so" tweets to if there is a life after death. If you're right, you will have no such satisfaction.

Oh, and not all religions teach that you'll get some horrific punishment for not obeying the rulles.

There is no scientific proof of life after death. There is some interesting evidence that there is, however.

The belief that we cease to be when our physical bodies die is a religious belief. There is no scientific proof of that either.

It's possible that you're right. I don't think you are, so I'll add you to my list of people to send "I told you so" tweets to if there is a life after death. If you're right, you will have no such satisfaction.

Oh, and not all religions teach that you'll get some horrific punishment for not obeying the rulles.

There is no evidence at all that doesn't have prosiac answers.

Atheism is a religious belief if not collecting stamps is a hobby. There are a bunch of Gods you don't believe in. I just believe in one less than you do.

No, I'll get my satisfaction in the here and now by enjoying my life not hamstrung by a lot of silly rules...

There is no evidence at all that doesn't have prosiac answers.

Atheism is a religious belief if not collecting stamps is a hobby. There are a bunch of Gods you don't believe in. I just believe in one less than you do.

No, I'll get my satisfaction in the here and now by enjoying my life not hamstrung by a lot of silly rules...

Yes, atheism has to be a religious belief, as there is no proof one way or the other.

Do you want your fellows to be hamstrung by a lot of silly rules about treating others the way we'd like to be treated, not stealing stuff, not murdering others and so on?

Yes, atheism has to be a religious belief, as there is no proof one way or the other.

Do you want your fellows to be hamstrung by a lot of silly rules about treating others the way we'd like to be treated, not stealing stuff, not murdering others and so on?

No, those are pretty sensible rules, but you don't need a sky pixie to have them.

Silly rules... not eating shrimp, what kind of sex you can have, having to go to church and grovelling... that's what religion gets you...

No, those are pretty sensible rules, but you don't need a sky pixie to have them.

Silly rules... not eating shrimp, what kind of sex you can have, having to go to church and grovelling... that's what religion gets you...

Well, yes, I'd have to agree that those are silly rules.

I suppose it depends on which religion you choose to follow, or if you follow any. Does belief in god necessarily lead to adherence to a particular religion?

I suppose it depends on which religion you choose to follow, or if you follow any. Does belief in god necessarily lead to adherence to a particular religion?

But they are silly rules that happen to be in the Holiest book of Christianity.

Christians like to pretend they aren't there. Or they give some excuse like "That's the Old Testament"

And people are still adhering to the silly rules or trying to get us all to obey them. There isn't an argument against gay marriage that doesn't eventually end with, "God thinks it's wrong".

Christians like to pretend they aren't there. Or they give some excuse like "That's the Old Testament"

And people are still adhering to the silly rules or trying to get us all to obey them. There isn't an argument against gay marriage that doesn't eventually end with, "God thinks it's wrong".

Most of that is in the Old testament. The New Testament is supposed to supplant the old, unless you're Jewish. If you are, then you're stuck with not eating shellfish, or pork.

Now, I could happily do without eating shellfish, but I do like a good pork chop... but I digress.

There are Christian religions that have no problem with gay marriage. It all depends on your interpretation of the scriptures.

Most of that is in the Old testament. The New Testament is supposed to supplant the old, unless you're Jewish. If you are, then you're stuck with not eating shellfish, or pork.

Now, I could happily do without eating shellfish, but I do like a good pork chop... but I digress.

There are Christian religions that have no problem with gay marriage. It all depends on your interpretation of the scriptures.

Well, I guess I have a problem with a supposedly perfect God who can't write a rulebook without getting 1000 interpretations and a hundred translation.

It makes me feel like that guy in the back row at the Sermon on the mount in "The Life of Brian" who hears "Blessed are the Cheesemakers!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back