Votes: 74 29.7%
  • Bigoted

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
For the benefit of those of us who don't know much about LDS, what do you think Kitten is talking about and what are your counter claims.

I'm willing to read whatever history or doctrine backs your assertion. It's an important point.

Kitten is going on some word of mouth story she heard. Here is the first thing God said to Joseph when the church was founded on April 6th 1830. The entire chapter can be found in the book of Doctrine and Covenants Section 1 verse 30 which reads...
And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually—

She may have confused it with our teaching that many people who are not members of our church in this life will still eventually be saved in the highest heaven because of the goodness of their hearts and willingness to follow Gods commandments in the next life.

it is off topic but I take the dictionary definition: Conformity to fact or actuality. A statement proven to be or accepted as true.

I had a deeper idea of a discussion on truth han a dictionary meaning. Truth is a big topic in Buddhism.

I had a deeper idea of a discussion on truth han a dictionary meaning. Truth is a big topic in Buddhism.

With all due respect, I don't think I want to debate the meaning of truth. Truth is what someone knows to the point of being willing to risk their lives for it. that person could be wrong but all truth will not be revealed until the next life anyway. So what is important is that everyone lives their life according to what they believe to be true.

With all due respect, I don't think I want to debate the meaning of truth. Truth is what someone knows to the point of being willing to risk their lives for it. that person could be wrong but all truth will not be revealed until the next life anyway. So what is important is that everyone lives their life according to what they believe to be true.

Actually, that is the definition of belief, not truth.

Truth is unshakable, belief isn't.

You call yourself truthspeaker, yet you are not willing to examine the meaning of truth?

Actually, that is the definition of belief, not truth.

Truth is unshakable, belief isn't.

You are right. But in this forum the dictionary definition is the most diplomatic. Truth is 1 thing all the time. But perception of truth changes as a result of humans being imperfect. That is why faith is so important.

why is the church against polygamy?

Because our doctrine teaches that polygamy is only to be practiced when commanded by the Lord. See Jacob chapter 2 "If I the Lord, will raise up seed unto me then I will command my people. Otherwise they shall not do that which is abominable."

You call yourself truthspeaker, yet you are not willing to examine the meaning of truth?

As I mentioned to the sailor, Truth is constant, perception is the great unknown throughout the world. I say I know the truth, but others think they know it. Some issues can be proven with iron clad facts, but things of a spiritual nature will have to be proven to some after their lives are over. Hence our agreeing to disagree. One is right but will not be able to convince the other of the truth in many cases.

You are right. But in this forum the dictionary definition is the most diplomatic. Truth is 1 thing all the time. But perception of truth changes as a result of humans being imperfect. That is why faith is so important.

See dude.......that's where the demons get ya.

They sew you up in words, and use your own perceptions against you.

By the way.....demons are generally people who let their animal nature get the better of their Torah learning.

They don't lie.....you lie to yourself.

Because our doctrine teaches that polygamy is only to be practiced when commanded by the Lord. See Jacob chapter 2 "If I the Lord, will raise up seed unto me then I will command my people. Otherwise they shall not do that which is abominable."

Id that in the book of mormon because I have a copy. how come joseph smith and brigham young were polygamists?

Id that in the book of mormon because I have a copy. how come joseph smith and brigham young were polygamists?

It is found in the Book of Mormon and you better believe that Joseph was the one who translated that account originally. Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were commanded of the Lord just like Ancient Prophets in the Bible were. The command was to raise up seed unto the Lord and populate the children of Israel in the new world. Not everyone was commanded to do this but it was commanded for a few during the early days of the church and when the time was no longer necessary it was discontinued.
Another part of the reason was that there were and extreme amount of widows who's husbands or fathers and brothers were killed and needed protection from a man. It was a different age and different social structure as well and nobody knew that better than God himself. That's why he had us all born in different times because we are all different in our preferences.

Forum List

Back