The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

Our Nation, as others before us, helped to spread Christianity around the world. (Action)
You ignored this part;
To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue. (Christianity)

Our Nation, as others before us, helped to spread Christianity around the world. (Action)

I'm sure places like Hawaii appreciated that......:eusa_whistle:

You ignored this part;
To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue. (Christianity)

I'm sorry, but it is the kind of arrogance this country was formed to AVOID that says "true religion and virtue" when referring to only one religion.

Not everyone is a Christian.

Not everyone WANTS to be a Christian.

Not everyone APPRECIATES Christians wanting them to be Christian.

Not everyone BELIEVES that Christians have the right answer.

Doesn't matter, and has absolutely no bearing on whether the US was founded upon Christian tenets.

Of course it was. Lincoln knew it (and said it), Obama knows it (and said it), and our FF knew it and said it.

But Bod knows better.

What a joke she is.

Doesn't matter, and has absolutely no bearing on whether the US was founded upon Christian tenets.

Correct. Because we were not. We were founded on Enlightenment tenets...and the Enlightenment was a Philosophical movement away from Theocratic control.

[qutoe]Of course it was. Lincoln knew it (and said it), Obama knows it (and said it), and our FF knew it and said it.[/quote]

Said it. But Actions speak louder than words.....something you continually refuse to acknowledge because you know it blows all your little quotes right out of the water.

But Bod knows better.

What a joke she is.

Apparently a "joke" that you've got stuck in your craw since you are spending so much time and effort on me....as seen by the current score in my sig.

a little information about Hawaii and Christianity by England, not America.

King Kamehameha IV and his wife Emma were Christian rulers who encouraged the building of Christian schools and hospitals, and who contributed greatly to the spread of Christianity among the Hawaiian people. The King was worried by the growth of American political influence, directly connected with the work of American missionaries, many of whom openly favored annexation of the islands by the United States. He accordingly invited the Church of England to send missionaries and to establish a presence in Hawaii. (While touring England as a prince, he had attended worship services, and had been favorably impressed.) But, although the King's support of the Church of England was perhaps politically motivated, his support of Christianity was not. He and his wife were earnest in their devotion to both the material and the spiritual welfare of their people. The King personally translated the Book of Common Prayer and much of the Hymnal into Hawaiian. Their only son died in 1863, and the King died, apparently of grief, on 30 November 1864. The Queen devoted the remainder of her life to charitable endeavors (Queen's Hospital, the largest civilian hospital in Hawaii, is largely her doing). She died in 1885.

a little information about Hawaii and Christianity by England, not America.

King Kamehameha IV and his wife Emma were Christian rulers who encouraged the building of Christian schools and hospitals, and who contributed greatly to the spread of Christianity among the Hawaiian people. The King was worried by the growth of American political influence, directly connected with the work of American missionaries, many of whom openly favored annexation of the islands by the United States. He accordingly invited the Church of England to send missionaries and to establish a presence in Hawaii. (While touring England as a prince, he had attended worship services, and had been favorably impressed.) But, although the King's support of the Church of England was perhaps politically motivated, his support of Christianity was not. He and his wife were earnest in their devotion to both the material and the spiritual welfare of their people. The King personally translated the Book of Common Prayer and much of the Hymnal into Hawaiian. Their only son died in 1863, and the King died, apparently of grief, on 30 November 1864. The Queen devoted the remainder of her life to charitable endeavors (Queen's Hospital, the largest civilian hospital in Hawaii, is largely her doing). She died in 1885.

That's nice.

You ignored this part;

I'm sorry, but it is the kind of arrogance this country was formed to AVOID that says "true religion and virtue" when referring to only one religion.

That is the beauty of this Nation that you can believe or not believe what you want.
The point of this thread is that Christianity was the foundation of this nation and I quoted a proclamation of our first president who believed in Christianity not enlightenment.
But you have the right to believe in enlightenment tenants if you want to.

That quote from the proclamation, where it is said true religion, comes from the bible where Christ says in John 14:6
Jesus said; I am the way,the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
You can never be forced to Christianity Bod
Islam with some on the other hand is trying to force their religion.

You ignored this part;

That is the beauty of this Nation that you can believe or not believe what you want.

Exactly

The point of this thread is that Christianity was the foundation of this nation

No, the point of this thread is that Christianity is NOT the foundation of this nation....look at the title again.

and I quoted a proclamation of our first president who believed in Christianity not enlightenment.

That's nice, but those are words in a proclamation. Where is the action in that proclamation? Where are the laws based on that proclamation? Washington was also a staunch Freemason. His ACTIONS as President are just as much in line with that than they are any Christian faith.
But you have the right to believe in enlightenment tenants if you want to.

Sure, I'll believe in Locke's influence, Montesque's influence, Franklin's influence, Thomas Paine's influence, and so on.

That quote from the proclamation, where it is said true religion, comes from the bible where Christ says in John 14:6

And not everyone believes that...nor is it codified in our laws.

Jesus said; I am the way,the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

And that is not codified in our laws either.

You can never be forced to Christianity Bod

Thanks to our Founding Fathers who went 180 degrees from that old directions.

Islam with some on the other hand is trying to force their religion.

And while this thread is not on islam...I hold any of their attempts with contempt.

Nobody reads your posts in their entirety anymore, Bod. They quit doing that ages ago.

You keep telling yourself that Allie....as I already said, you spend a great deal of energy telling me that you don't pay attention to my posts. You spend a great deal of energy trying to convince someone....you?....that everyone agrees with you. (safety in numbers fantasy?)

See you next post or....xx... telling me that you don't read my posts.

Sorry, I said it wrong.
Yes the thread is that we are not founded on Christianity.
But we are a Christian nation.
Freemason belief;
Freemasonry refers to the principles, institutions, and practices of the fraternal order of the Free and Accepted Masons. The largest worldwide society, Freemasonry is an organization of men based on the "fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man," using builders' tools as symbols to teach basic moral truths generally accepted by persons of good will. Their motto is "morality in which all men agree, that is, to be good men and true." It is religious in that a belief in a Supreme Being and in the immortality of the soul are the two prime requirements for membership, but it is nonsectarian in that no religious test is used.1 The purpose of Freemasonry is to enable men to meet in harmony, to promote friendship, and to be charitable. Its basic ideals are that all persons are the children of one God, that all persons are related to each other, and that the best way to worship God is to be of service to people.

But Freemason's does not interfere with Christianity and George Washington attended his church when he could during the war and presidency. He did so regularly after he was president.
Many Freemasons attend Church along with the meetings of Freemasons.

Forum List

Back