TN Welfare applicants drug tests: 37 out of 16,017 positive (0.2%)

279 drug tests were administered

37 drug tests were positive

Hey, the blind squirrel found an acorn!

13 percent of those tested yielded positive for drug use.

16,017 x .13 = 2,124

You know G5, we have had our fights and this is just another example of why half the time I can't stand how ignorant you sound. It took less than 12 seconds of me skimming the article to get the numbers below. 279 tests and 37 were positive. That's not even enough tested to give an approx average. The 16,000 number was meant for people that just want to spew hate, like you sometimes like to do.

I believe all drugs should be legal, but I don't think any tax payer money should go to buying them for others. Now if you are on welfare and you still can get a hold of drugs then money is being spent more often than not on bad habits, and its being supplemented because when they get hungry or need rent we pay for it. It's pretty simple stuff really.

the 16,000 number means nothing, it means nothing.... If anything, going by this trash article it shows about 13% on welfare are using drugs. However 81 of the 279 dropping out + 8 being disqualified and 37 testing positive of that 279, means that a possible 45% of people on welfare are using drugs... And that's not even looking at the people getting off drugs for a few weeks so they can be tested then going back on them.

I don't know how much these people are getting for welfare, but 45% (not that it's a correct %) of 279 not getting welfare would easily be covered by the huge savings. Ideally we would just get rid of poverty creating welfare and let peopledo whatever drugs they like, seeing as they do already.

Do you and your mindless Republican hate ranting dispute the number I just went over or will you calm down and realize you fell for the OP's bullshit?

BY THE NUMBERS

From July 1 to Dec. 31, 2014

16,017 people applied for Families First

279 drug tests were administered

37 drug tests were positive

25 were referrred for a substance abuse evaluation

5 enrolled in drug treatment or support group programs

8 refused to take the questionnaire and were disqualified

81 were denied benefits because they dropped out of the application process

$4,215 spent on drug tests

SSI is generally welfare for the disabled, who haven't worked enough to get SSD during their working lives. It's a SUPPLEMENT for people who haven't paid even nominally enough INTO the system, to get anything out of it.

In other words, straight charity. That's the definition. If people are receiving SSI or WELFARE, then by definition, they haven't paid enough into the system to receive any benefits out of it, that's why they have to get ENTITLEMENTS.
The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources.

SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits.

People who have worked long enough may also be able to receive Social Security disability or retirement benefits as well as SSI.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

ball71.gif
It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and
ball71.gif
It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.

Sadly, most will continue to miss the point. Nothing is really 'Free.' Big Brother is gonna get something out of the deal. You really are making a deal with the Devil when you demand Big Brother support you and your family.

There will be a heavy price to pay. Your independence and freedom will be the price. You invited Big Brother in, now he owns you. So take my advice, don't sell your soul to the Devil. Just do it the old fashioned way... Work harder.

People like Ravi live to be owned.

One way to solve the problem... Don't count on Big Brother to support you and your family. Don't like the requirements, don't ask for the Freebies. Just forget about it and work harder. Get two or three jobs if you have to. Don't sell your soul to the Devil.

Yeah, people like ravtard think welfare recipients are soooo stupid and helpless that they are incapable of getting up off their fat asses to support themselves, even if they HAVE to.

They aren't that stupid, and they're perfectly capable of doing what they have to do to survive..even if that means FINDING A JOB.

Yup, grab two or three jobs if you have to. Because once you invite Big Brother in, he owns you. You'll do what you're told. If you want those Freebies to continue.
What about those that can't work? What about the children? What about the disabled? What about the handicapped? What about the elderly? And, how many jobs do you think are out there? Haven't you heard that there aren't enough jobs that cover all education and skill levels to meet the demand? Haven't you heard that employers are producing more with less employees? Haven't you heard that technology, innovation, and automation are replacing workers? Haven't you heard that many college grads have moved in with their parents due to the weak job market?

Quitting drugs will likely prove to be what's best for you and your children. Tennessee is encouraging that.

Sadly, most will continue to miss the point. Nothing is really 'Free.' Big Brother is gonna get something out of the deal. You really are making a deal with the Devil when you demand Big Brother support you and your family.

There will be a heavy price to pay. Your independence and freedom will be the price. You invited Big Brother in, now he owns you. So take my advice, don't sell your soul to the Devil. Just do it the old fashioned way... Work harder.

One way to solve the problem... Don't count on Big Brother to support you and your family. Don't like the requirements, don't ask for the Freebies. Just forget about it and work harder. Get two or three jobs if you have to. Don't sell your soul to the Devil.

Yeah, people like ravtard think welfare recipients are soooo stupid and helpless that they are incapable of getting up off their fat asses to support themselves, even if they HAVE to.

They aren't that stupid, and they're perfectly capable of doing what they have to do to survive..even if that means FINDING A JOB.

Yup, grab two or three jobs if you have to. Because once you invite Big Brother in, he owns you. You'll do what you're told. If you want those Freebies to continue.
What about those that can't work? What about the children? What about the disabled? What about the handicapped? What about the elderly? And, how many jobs do you think are out there? Haven't you heard that there aren't enough jobs that cover all education and skill levels to meet the demand? Haven't you heard that employers are producing more with less employees? Haven't you heard that technology, innovation, and automation are replacing workers? Haven't you heard that many college grads have moved in with their parents due to the weak job market?

The issue I see with your logic is the end of what you want done results are a growing welfare group and a shrinking productive/working group. You can toss kicks, handicapped in there all day long but that's not the group growing... Well children are because it pays more to have children when on welfare so naturally you get more children born into welfare.

Quitting drugs will likely prove to be what's best for you and your children. Tennessee is encouraging that.
FYI - My children are all grown, married, with children of their own. And, I do NOT take illegal drugs. So, try something else beside smart remarks, sarcasm, and personal attacks. Do you have a problem discussing issues in a civil and adult manner? Or, is personal attacks and smart remarks all you have or want to contribute to this conversation?

This requirement may encourage many in Tennessee to end their drug use. In turn, that could lead to better futures for many Tennessee families. It may even lead to them being more productive and no longer needing those Government Freebies. I think Tennessee is trying to send the right message. Less drug use is the goal. But only time will tell if this program is ultimately successful.

FYI - My children are all grown, married, with children of their own. And, I do NOT take illegal drugs. So, try something else beside smart remarks, sarcasm, and personal attacks. Do you have a problem discussing issues in a civil and adult manner? Or, is personal attacks and smart remarks all you have or want to contribute to this conversation?

I didn't intend it to be personal. I was just pointing out that quitting drugs will probably be what's best for one's self and their family. And Tennessee is encouraging that.

The issue I see with your logic is the end of what you want done results are a growing welfare group and a shrinking productive/working group. You can toss kicks, handicapped in there all day long but that's not the group growing... Well children are because it pays more to have children when on welfare so naturally you get more children born into welfare.
Regardless of the situation, circumstances, or life style, people need assistance. Not everyone can be wealthy, have a living wage job, be self-supporting, or provide the basic necessities for themselves. Thus the need for "WELFARE". You can sit high and mighty and judge everyone if you want, but it will not change the facts. We have a growing population of poor and needy, and many of them are experiencing hardships through no fault of their own. I realize that it's something that you find very hard to understand and comprehend, but it is what it is. We have a large population of needy and less fortunate. WELFARE is designed and put in place to address the needs of those that can not support themselves for whatever reason. It is a very necessary program. We are NOT animalistic, barbaric, and heartless people. We do NOT allow the poor to die in the streets due to unconcern and apathy. We are a civil and humane people, we care. Thank GOD that you are blessed enough to not need assistance. But, please realize that everyone is not as blessed and fortunate as you.

I didn't intend it to be personal. I was just pointing out that quitting drugs will probably be what's best for one's self and their family. And Tennessee is encouraging that.
Yes, drugs are bad. But, if the state is going to test those receiving some form of assistance, why not test everyone in the state that is on the state payroll? Do they not get tax dollars on payday? And, what would you suggest the state do with those that they kick off the program? What about the children of those that they kick off the program? What is the states plan to address the needs of those that they kick off the program? Do we allow them to die on the street like animals? Do we tell them to eat out of trash cans and dumpsters? What do we tell them about shelter, clothing, clean water, medicine, health care? Do we abandon them like they have an incurable virus?

Regardless of the situation, circumstances, or life style, people need assistance. Not everyone can be wealthy, have a living wage job, be self-supporting, or provide the basic necessities for themselves. Thus the need for "WELFARE". You can sit high and mighty and judge everyone if you want, but it will not change the facts. We have a growing population of poor and needy, and many of them are experiencing hardships through no fault of their own. I realize that it's something that you find very hard to understand and comprehend, but it is what it is. We have a large population of needy and less fortunate. WELFARE is designed and put in place to address the needs of those that can not support themselves for whatever reason. It is a very necessary program. We are NOT animalistic, barbaric, and heartless people. We do NOT allow the poor to die in the streets due to unconcern and apathy. We are a civil and humane people, we care. Thank GOD that you are blessed enough to not need assistance. But, please realize that everyone is not as blessed and fortunate as you.

Oh fuckin a....

Now I'm sitting high and mighty judging people.... Your whole fucking argument is based on judging people, then demanding others be taxes to supplement thoes you deem worthy of welfare.

This is dumb.

CHILDREN!!!! BUT THE FUCKING CHILDREN!!!!! THEY ARE ALL STARVING AND DYING BECAUSE OF YOU AVORYSUDS!!! AGREE WITH ME OR YOU HATE CHILDREN, and and and THE DISABLED!!!! and and and and OLD PEOPLE!!!! YEAH!

Promoting less drug use will likely lead to many becoming more productive Citizens. They won't likely be so dependent on Government Freebies. Tennessee has the right idea. Look for many other States to follow their lead.

Next up Sonny tells us that people on welfare, high or not, child elderly or handicapped work harder than people paying the taxes used for welfare......

This requirement may encourage many in Tennessee to end their drug use. In turn, that could lead to better futures for many Tennessee families. It may even lead to them being more productive and no longer needing those Government Freebies. I think Tennessee is trying to send the right message. Less drug use is the goal. But only time will tell if this program is ultimately successful.

And do you think that's the proper role of government? To decide what's best for us and "encourage" us to follow their lead?

Yes, drugs are bad. But, if the state is going to test those receiving some form of assistance, why not test everyone in the state that is on the state payroll? Do they not get tax dollars on payday? And, what would you suggest the state do with those that they kick off the program? What about the children of those that they kick off the program? What is the states plan to address the needs of those that they kick off the program? Do we allow them to die on the street like animals? Do we tell them to eat out of trash cans and dumpsters? What do we tell them about shelter, clothing, clean water, medicine, health care? Do we abandon them like they have an incurable virus?

The goal is promoting less drug use. It leads to better more productive Citizens. And in turn, that will hopefully lead to less Tennesseans relying solely on Government Freebies. I think Tennessee is onto something.

And do you think that's the proper role of government? To decide what's best for us and "encourage" us to follow their lead?

I don't.... Hence not wanting drug testing or welfare. See that amazing consistency!!! I unlike so many others don't live in a giant world of hypocrisy.

Forum List

Back