Treason or Whistle Blower?

Should Edward Snowden be charged with Treason? WHY?

• YES

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • NO

Votes: 70 78.7%

• Total voters
"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."

I have no doubt the answer will be offered based on political leaning so give a rational reason for your vote.

All this crap is news only to the low information voter...what the hell
do you think we have been doing since 911???? I don't trust the government
But I trust other governments even less.

Why I view Snowden worse than Manning:

Manning had a "troubled" past, as can be seen even in the Wikipedia link below. It seems he should have NEVER been given a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) clearance and/or allowed access to any classified information. Manning's superiors knew he had problems, but allowed him the clearance anyway. Also, as I understand, Julian Assange / Wikileaks acted as a buffer and made considerable effort to "filter" Manning's classified information before being released to the public. If true, I give Julian Assange much credit for that.

Bradley Manning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snowden, on the other hand, apparently has no history of a "troubled" past, and was apparently driven by ideology - possibly libertarian ideology. Snowden acted with a sane/cool head, and is also apparently much less naive than Manning. Snowden seemingly understood the full weight of what he was doing.

Edward Snowden Is A Ron Paul Supporter

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."

I have no doubt the answer will be offered based on political leaning so give a rational reason for your vote.

His revelations do not give the enemy any aid or comfort and are not levying war against the US. He committed a crime and should be punished if the Government so chooses.

Again for the slow and stupid his actions are not TREASON. And I seriously doubt he is covered by the whistle blower law as according to the powers that be all the actions he disclosed were legal and authorized by the Courts.

He was a security guard for the NSA during the Bush administration. What does a security guard know about NSA surveillance?

Then he went to work for the CIA.

THEN he got another job connected with the NSA. He was at that one for less than 3 months.

It has been reported he has a GED and while working for a private gov't contractor earned $ 200,000 per year. I think a good deal more needs to be investigated.

Seems like the CIA trained him well in IT.
Let's investigate the CIA!

His revelations do not give the enemy any aid or comfort and are not levying war against the US. He committed a crime and should be punished if the Government so chooses.

Again for the slow and stupid his actions are not TREASON. And I seriously doubt he is covered by the whistle blower law as according to the powers that be all the actions he disclosed were legal and authorized by the Courts.

Maybe not...
Total Information Awareness (TIA) [2002].

This would be achieved by creating enormous computer databases to gather and store the personal information of everyone in the United States, including personal e-mails, social networks, credit card records, phone calls, medical records, and numerous other sources, without any requirement for a search warrant.

Despite the withdrawal of funding for the TIA and the closing of the IAO, the core of the project survived.[5][6][27] Legislators included a classified annex to the Defense Appropriations Act that preserved funding for TIA's component technologies, if they were transferred to other government agencies.

TIA projects continued to be funded under classified annexes to Defense and Intelligence appropriation bills. However, the act also stipulated that the technologies only be used for military or foreign intelligence purposes against foreigners.[28]

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/297962-total-information-awareness-program-u-s-a.html

If PRISM incorporated TIA technology, using it against Americans was illegal under the 2004 Defense Authorization Act.

Also, the FISA court may have declared this program unconstitutional...Holder is fighting the release of the opinion.

Last edited:
I voted Whistleblower-- but you should have had PATRIOT for a choice!

So, In your opinion any member of the government has a patriotic duty to disclose any information he or she learns in the course of their job which they belief should be released to the public?
You are targeting your question in the expectations that you will get an answer you can then claim applies to another situation altogether.

Do you know the difference between whistle blowing when the US Government is breaching the Constitution and committing wrongs against THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, as opposed to disclosing secrets to our enemies?

This person should be charged under the espionage act, not for treason.

He had other options rather than release information to our enemies. In other words, he could have blown the whistle without endangering anyone.

'
I always disliked that especially stupid section of the Constitution which prohibits the foreign-born from becoming President -- but never more so than when Wikileaks brought Julian Assange to the fore.

I so wanted it to be possible for Assanage to become President -- but no, Constitutional stupidity stood in the way.

But now we have an honest-to-God, real American whistle-blower! We need someone to replace that minion slave of the corrupt American security cabal, Barack Obama!!

It is certainly not too early to be thinking about nominating Edward Snowden to become the next President of the United States!! Brave, knowledgeable, incorrupt, honorable -- finally, someone who could make a decent holder of the office of President!!

In the meantime, he should at least get a Medal of Honor, but of course that cannot be expected from the criminal gang that runs the US government.

Are there other honors that he could get, which would smooth his way to becoming President? Any suggestions?

We owe our allegiance to the United States not to the GOVERNMENT of the United States. I guess technically our founding fathers were all law breakers too and from the sounds of it many on this board would have had them rotting in an English prison or killed as traitors to England. Unjust laws need to be challenged but how can we challenge things done in secrecy? If this is legal and constitutional why not tell us they are doing it? How can we hold our elected officials accountable if they are allowed to act in secrecy?

I call into question any agreement that would silence an elected representative to the detriment of his constituents. The fact that they can do this means that our representatives are no longer representing US and that they are beholden to the government.

From the non disclosure agreement you sign when given access to classified material:

I have been advised that any unauthorized disclosure of classified information by me may constitute a violation, or violations, of United States criminal laws, including the provisions of Sections 641, 793, 794, 798, *952 and 1924, Title 18, United States Code, * the provisions of Section 783(b), Title 50, United States Code, and the provisions of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982. I recognize that nothing in this Agreement constitutes a waiver by the United States of the right to prosecute me for any statutory violation.

Does that include OBAMA^^^

Do you have a point? Do you have evidence the President disclosed classified information?

Of course she doesn't; her only 'evidence' is whatever Rush or Sean tells her.

Both him and Bradley Manning should be given a medal, in my opinion. It's a sad day in America when the truth is considered treason.

so you and Kevin believe everything which the Federal does must be done in public for everyone in the world to be privy to and nothing should be secret?

So before June 6, 1944 The Federal Government had a duty to have a press conference to announce the invasion and if they did not an officer in IKE's command would have a duty to tell the news and thus Hitler?

Where in hell did you get THAT from?? So you think it's ok for the government to SPY on US citizens without a just cause? Wow!

The government is not spying on US citizens. They are collecting data which can be looked upon only when a warrant is obtained. Do some homework.

so you and Kevin believe everything which the Federal does must be done in public for everyone in the world to be privy to and nothing should be secret?

So before June 6, 1944 The Federal Government had a duty to have a press conference to announce the invasion and if they did not an officer in IKE's command would have a duty to tell the news and thus Hitler?

Where in hell did you get THAT from?? So you think it's ok for the government to SPY on US citizens without a just cause? Wow!

Yes, yes he does think that. He said it doesn't matter what Obama does

No he (I) didn't and that is one more bit of evidence that you are a liar (or in the words of LGS, a "Fucking liar").

Hmm.. so you would say you are actually neo-con, or are you just blindly shilling for your party with no real conviction?

She's just blindly shilling...she only decided what she thought about Snowden AFTER she found out he was had libertarian leanings.

I can't help but wonder if Edward Snowden is Democrat, Republican or Libertarian?

Well, if he donated to Ron Paul in 2012 - he definitely has a mental problem.

No, he is not a hero.

Yes, he should be extradited.

I believe China trumps Hong Kong in foreign relations - so what will China do?

After reading the following OP article once again, I've reached a conclusion - this kid doesn't seem too bright - scholastically or politically. I wonder how many more Libertarian loonies are working in sensitive positions? Scary...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ehind-the-nsa-surveillance-revelations-3.html

I mean, how transparently partisan can you get?

The government is not spying on US citizens. They are collecting data which can be looked upon only when a warrant is obtained. Do some homework.

images

LOL....

They're not spying, they're just collecting data

LOL

What a tool

Finally (and I'm surprised by who) a post which makes sense.

LOL....

LOL

What a tool

Raw data. You're too stupid to get the nuince, I know that. You're also an asshole, I know that. And you've never posted anything of substance, most everyone know's that.

LOL....

LOL

What a tool

Raw data. You're too stupid to get the nuince, I know that. You're also an asshole, I know that. And you've never posted anything of substance, most everyone know's that.

You're not "most everyone," but keep listening to those voices in your head.:cuckoo:

28 to 6; 28 believe NSA is an anti American, anti Constitutional facit of the executive branch of our government (how many voted so because the President of the United States and the AG of the US are Democrats and black?).

Forum List

Back