🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trump's first constitutional crisis: Presidential salary

Trump keeps saying he is going to refuse a salary. However, the President does not have the constitutional power to refuse his salary. The constitution states that the President shall receive compensation from the Treasury at stated times, and that the amount shall be neither increased nor decreased during the term for which he was elected.

Under the constitution, the Congress sets the amount for Presidential pay, because only Congress can legislate expenditures from the treasury. The President does not have the power to circumvent Congress on this matter.

Aside from the constitutional issue, I don't believe for a moment that Trump ever was going to refuse his salary anyway. We're talking about a man who has spent his life bending over backwards to avoid paying an extra $3 in taxes, and refusing to pay employees and contractors. And now he wants us to believe that he's going to have $400k worth of reported income he'll have to pay taxes on anyway, but that he'll simply refuse to cash the paycheck? Yeah, right.

I look forward to the entertaining bullshit dance that is sure to follow as Trump pretends to refuse a salary.

He already spoke on this saying he has to have a salary, it will be $1 per year. Catch up man!

PS: this is hardly a constitutional crises, but hey impeach him on that, im sure democrats would go.for it....bwhahahahahahah

He can do like JFK did and give it away.

Absolutely, he could donate his salary. But I'm not inclined to believe he will. He'll still end up having to pay some tax on it. I have a hard time believing Trump will settle for a tax hit without gaining the income into his pocket.

Holy Shit....Trump tries to save the tax payers money by not taking a salary, and whiny f*ing liberals complain about THAT!

Good f*ing grief!

Wash the sand out of your vagina, would ya? I don't see any liberals complaining. But there's at least one conservative pointing out how Trump's ineptitude is already steering us toward a constitutional crisis.

BTW, you would have flipped shit about Obama unconstitutionally bypassing Congress if Obama tried to do this.

LOL, you assume that everyone is as big a whiny ass as you are.
Fucking cry baby.

Trump does not need the salary, it is a measly sum, considering he can now use military and diplomatic means to help his investments in foreign countries.

Are you seriously suggesting that the President should use his office to govern for personal gain?

Trump keeps saying he is going to refuse a salary. However, the President does not have the constitutional power to refuse his salary. The constitution states that the President shall receive compensation from the Treasury at stated times, and that the amount shall be neither increased nor decreased during the term for which he was elected.

Under the constitution, the Congress sets the amount for Presidential pay, because only Congress can legislate expenditures from the treasury. The President does not have the power to circumvent Congress on this matter.

Aside from the constitutional issue, I don't believe for a moment that Trump ever was going to refuse his salary anyway. We're talking about a man who has spent his life bending over backwards to avoid paying an extra $3 in taxes, and refusing to pay employees and contractors. And now he wants us to believe that he's going to have $400k worth of reported income he'll have to pay taxes on anyway, but that he'll simply refuse to cash the paycheck? Yeah, right.

I look forward to the entertaining bullshit dance that is sure to follow as Trump pretends to refuse a salary.

Let's hope he'll pay taxes on it. He hasn't paid a penny in Federal Income tax in the last 18 years, while claiming to have a net worth of 10 billion.
You could provide evidence of that, but I won't hold my breath.

Hoover and JFK gave away their salaries.

You remember Hoover. The inexperienced businessman who approved disastrous trade tariffs (Smoot-Hawley) and fucked up when the stock market crashed.

The potus can set their salary anywhere up,to what congress established as a cap....Jeeze....

He is taking 1 cent, nimrod.

There is nothing in the Constitution that says what the salary has to be, and I doubt Congress gives a fuck how much Trump gets paid.

20171201_162544.png

The level of liberal butthurt is record setting...

Trump has dinated his salary for his 1st 3 quarters.

How many quarters if his salary over 8 years did Barry donate?

The level of liberal butthurt is record setting...

Trump has dinated his salary for his 1st 3 quarters.

How many quarters if his salary over 8 years did Barry donate?

I'd give him credit if he also didn't charge for the rooms taken up in Trump Tower, Bedminster, or Mar-a-Lago when he stayed there.

He has been donating half of his salary to schools in poor area and to another cause. But he is not keeping none of it.

Trump Donates To Education Department

Trump donates part of his salary to federal opioid awareness campaign

Forum List

Back