🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trump's tariff plan could boomerang, spark trade wars with China, Mexico

and so what? we should continue being screwed over because it might upset China, and other foreign counties?

they are the part of the blame for where our country is now with thanks to these snake politicians like Bill Clinton and NAFTA and now Obama.

More Republicans than Democrats voted for NAFTA. NAFTA was essentially a Republican initiative signed by Clinton in one of his act-like-a-Republican moments. He was a centrist, remember?

132 Repubs and 102 Dems. Lots of support from both sides and Clinton was all for it.

Both get the blame.

Donald Trump's threats to slap steep tariffs on Chinese and Mexican imports may have won him votes in Republican primaries but they would likely backfire, severely disrupting U.S. manufacturers that increasingly depend on global supply chains.
The Republican presidential front-runner's campaign pledges to impose 45 percent tariffs on all imports from China and 35 percent on many goods from Mexico would spark financial market turmoil and possibly even a recession, former trade negotiators, trade lawyers, economists and business executives told Reuters.
Among those hardest hit would be the U.S. auto industry, which has fully integrated Mexico into its production network. Some $118 billion worth of vehicles and parts flowed north and south across the border tariff-free last year, according to U.S. Commerce Department data.
A 35 percent tariff would raise costs for Ford Motor Co's U.S.-assembled F-series and medium-duty pickup trucks that use Mexican-made diesel engines, one of its most profitable vehicle lines. (Graphic on U.S.-Mexico auto and parts trade: tmsnrt.rs/1UN3wun)
Ford CEO Mark Fields on Wednesday defended the company's investment strategy, which includes $9 billion for U.S. plants over the next four years, saying, "We will do what makes sense for the business."
Buyers of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV's popular Ram 1500 pickup trucks assembled in Saltillo, Mexico, could see their $26,000 base price pushed up by $9,000 if the tariff is fully passed on to consumers. A Chrysler spokesman declined to comment on Trump's statements.
--------
severely disrupting U.S. manufacturers that increasingly depend on global supply chains.
Oh you mean, their cheap labor wouldn't matter? Wont that be terrible? :badgrin:
I think a little hardship is necessary in order to fix problems of this magnitude. Just being realistic. Band-aids don't work. And neither do more unfair trade deals.
I also don't give a crap about trade wars with mexico and china. What are they going to do? Raise the prices of foreign product that we don't HAVE to have? Who cares if it means we benefit in the long run? They don't seem to go over the specifics of that.. They never do. Just doom and gloom for the elites.
Once we get the market going with jobs and American production, we go free trade. I think that sounds PERFECT.
We are only running a 125 billion dollar trade deficit this year and its only March.

It could dramatically increase the cost of goods for all of us. That would be a bad combination with stagnant wages.
Only on shit that you don't really need and that will only be until manufacturing returns to America. Personally, I don't need cheap shit nor do I want it. It's time for Americans to stop worrying about getting cheap shit for a cheap price and look at the overall big picture.

Really? It is hard to find stuff not made in China now. There are a lot of things that don't make sense to make here. There are other things that should be make here. If you just throw around tariffs it will probably just increase the cost. We should really start by bringing back jobs that never should have left like CS call centers and other similar jobs. Then use tariffs where it makes sense. I'm amazed that so many repubs now sound like the unions did back in the 80s. I guess they were right?
He doesn't want high tariffs indefinitely. He is just defending the middle class. I tend to imagine things like that would work themselves back out. Then again, in a few years, china might not give a shit. Like I mentioned earlier, they are transitioning to a consumer economy..

I understand the intent. But it doesn't help the middle class if the price of everything they buy goes up. If it was simple and easy we would have these tariffs now.
We don't have tariffs because we are run by corporatists, silly.
Actually fixing problems isn't easy. This is real life..

Donald Trump's threats to slap steep tariffs on Chinese and Mexican imports may have won him votes in Republican primaries but they would likely backfire, severely disrupting U.S. manufacturers that increasingly depend on global supply chains.
The Republican presidential front-runner's campaign pledges to impose 45 percent tariffs on all imports from China and 35 percent on many goods from Mexico would spark financial market turmoil and possibly even a recession, former trade negotiators, trade lawyers, economists and business executives told Reuters.
Among those hardest hit would be the U.S. auto industry, which has fully integrated Mexico into its production network. Some $118 billion worth of vehicles and parts flowed north and south across the border tariff-free last year, according to U.S. Commerce Department data.
A 35 percent tariff would raise costs for Ford Motor Co's U.S.-assembled F-series and medium-duty pickup trucks that use Mexican-made diesel engines, one of its most profitable vehicle lines. (Graphic on U.S.-Mexico auto and parts trade: tmsnrt.rs/1UN3wun)
Ford CEO Mark Fields on Wednesday defended the company's investment strategy, which includes $9 billion for U.S. plants over the next four years, saying, "We will do what makes sense for the business."
Buyers of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV's popular Ram 1500 pickup trucks assembled in Saltillo, Mexico, could see their $26,000 base price pushed up by $9,000 if the tariff is fully passed on to consumers. A Chrysler spokesman declined to comment on Trump's statements.
--------
severely disrupting U.S. manufacturers that increasingly depend on global supply chains.
Oh you mean, their cheap labor wouldn't matter? Wont that be terrible? :badgrin:
I think a little hardship is necessary in order to fix problems of this magnitude. Just being realistic. Band-aids don't work. And neither do more unfair trade deals.
I also don't give a crap about trade wars with mexico and china. What are they going to do? Raise the prices of foreign product that we don't HAVE to have? Who cares if it means we benefit in the long run? They don't seem to go over the specifics of that.. They never do. Just doom and gloom for the elites.
Once we get the market going with jobs and American production, we go free trade. I think that sounds PERFECT.
We are only running a 125 billion dollar trade deficit this year and its only March.
Doesn't matter. We'll just bring those suppliers back here to 'merican shores and 'merican workers who can make the same dam shite for twice the wages. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
No more dollar store! :uhoh3:
No more bargain big screen tvs
If that could mean my son might have a future that doesn't involve a dictatorship, I am fine with that.

--------
Doesn't matter. We'll just bring those suppliers back here to 'merican shores and 'merican workers who can make the same dam shite for twice the wages. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
No more dollar store! :uhoh3:
No more bargain big screen tvs
If that could mean my son might have a future that doesn't involve a dictatorship, I am fine with that.
It could mean that if your son lacks the skills to compete in a high tech economy, he'll find a job and help lower the standard of living of those who do have the skills.

It could dramatically increase the cost of goods for all of us. That would be a bad combination with stagnant wages.
Only on shit that you don't really need and that will only be until manufacturing returns to America. Personally, I don't need cheap shit nor do I want it. It's time for Americans to stop worrying about getting cheap shit for a cheap price and look at the overall big picture.

Really? It is hard to find stuff not made in China now. There are a lot of things that don't make sense to make here. There are other things that should be make here. If you just throw around tariffs it will probably just increase the cost. We should really start by bringing back jobs that never should have left like CS call centers and other similar jobs. Then use tariffs where it makes sense. I'm amazed that so many repubs now sound like the unions did back in the 80s. I guess they were right?
He doesn't want high tariffs indefinitely. He is just defending the middle class. I tend to imagine things like that would work themselves back out. Then again, in a few years, china might not give a shit. Like I mentioned earlier, they are transitioning to a consumer economy..

I understand the intent. But it doesn't help the middle class if the price of everything they buy goes up. If it was simple and easy we would have these tariffs now.
We don't have tariffs because we are run by corporatists, silly.
Actually fixing problems isn't easy. This is real life..

We do have tariffs with many countries. He wants to have more and increase the ones we have. We don't have tariffs because they increase the price to consumers. They are like a min wage increase.

Having read this HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT, I find that Ford has said absolutely nothing about either moving present manufacturing out of Mexico and Canada, or of forgoing plans for future expansion in those countries. He seems to have committed himself only to the extent that he is not going to move Ford's corporate headquarters to Nuevo Laredo. In short, he said nothing, while talking a lot. He is trumping Trump.

Please don't try to pin NAFTA on Clinton.
LOL ! You belong to the 'we aren't responsible for anything' party.

Bill Clinton on Free Trade
November offered two examples of sound policy and questionable politics. After Al Gore plainly bested Ross Perot in a heavily watched TV debate in NAFTA, it passed the House, 234-200. Three days later the Senate followed suit, 61-38. Al and I had called or seen two hundred members of Congress, and the cabinet had made nine hundred calls. President Carter also helped, calling members of Congress all day long for a week. We also had to make deals on a wide range of issues; the lobbying effort for NAFTA looked even more like sausage making than the budget fight had. Our whole team had won a great economic and political victory for America, but like the budget, it came at a high price, dividing our party in Congress and infuriating many of our strongest supporters in the labor movement.

You can't just rip up signed agreements, or impose tariffs arbitrarily.

One place to start is to stop giving tax deductions on expenses for moving manufacturing off-shore, and giving tax incentives to companies who return manufacturing to the US.

November offered two examples of sound policy and questionable politics. After Al Gore plainly bested Ross Perot in a heavily watched TV debate in NAFTA, it passed the House, 234-200. Three days later the Senate followed suit, 61-38. Al and I had called or seen two hundred members of Congress, and the cabinet had made nine hundred calls. President Carter also helped, calling members of Congress all day long for a week. We also had to make deals on a wide range of issues; the lobbying effort for NAFTA looked even more like sausage making than the budget fight had. Our whole team had won a great economic and political victory for America, but like the budget, it came at a high price, dividing our party in Congress and infuriating many of our strongest supporters in the labor movement.

I'm a Canadian so no, I don't belong to the Republican or the Democratic Party. But I know who wrote that fucking POS NAFTA, and I certainly remember how it was sold to the Canadian public and the American public, at the time. I also know that the net result has been millions of jobs for Mexico in the auto industry that used to reside in Michigan and Ontario.

Yes, Clinton signed NAFTA, but it was negotiated by Reagan/Bush and Mulroney, three supply market conservatives. Mulroney was famous for making bad deals just for the sake of making a deal and he wanted this one bad. Obsessed with his role in Canadian history and suffering from a massive inferiority complex from following shortly after the man who gave Canada its own Constitution, and who is universally considered the greatest Prime Minister in Canadian history, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Mulroney all but gave away the country to US interests to get NAFTA through.

In order to make it all work, Mulroney slapped a 13% value added tax to all goods and services in Canada, and the moment free trade came into effect, entire sectors of our economy moved to the US, plunging Canada into a recession. We thanked Mulroney for his efforts in selling out our country by refusing to elect anyone from his party. Progressive Conservatives didn't elect enough members to have party status in Parliament, and the Liberals won an overwhelming majority.

You idiots thank the conservatives for selling you out to Wall Street and the corporatists by bending over and saying "Please sir, can I have some more". Lunacy.

I'm a Canadian so no, I don't belong to the Republican or the Democratic Party. But I know who wrote that fucking POS NAFTA, and I certainly remember how it was sold to the Canadian public and the American public, at the time. I also know that the net result has been millions of jobs for Mexico in the auto industry that used to reside in Michigan and Ontario.

Yes, Clinton signed NAFTA, but it was negotiated by Reagan/Bush and Mulroney, three supply market conservatives. Mulroney was famous for making bad deals just for the sake of making a deal and he wanted this one bad. Obsessed with his role in Canadian history and suffering from a massive inferiority complex from following shortly after the man who gave Canada its own Constitution, and who is universally considered the greatest Prime Minister in Canadian history, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Mulroney all but gave away the country to US interests to get NAFTA through.

In order to make it all work, Mulroney slapped a 13% value added tax to all goods and services in Canada, and the moment free trade came into effect, entire sectors of our economy moved to the US, plunging Canada into a recession. We thanked Mulroney for his efforts in selling out our country by refusing to elect anyone from his party. Progressive Conservatives didn't elect enough members to have party status in Parliament, and the Liberals won an overwhelming majority.

You idiots thank the conservatives for selling you out to Wall Street and the corporatists by bending over and saying "Please sir, can I have some more". Lunacy.
By 'we aren't responsible for anything' party I meant liberal. Liberals are the same all over the world. If a liberal farts the nearest conservative did it.

However, the Dems have been in control much of the time since so no, they do not get a pass. They helped get it in and helped keep it in. You can't rewrite history for anyone but yourself.

By 'we aren't responsible for anything' party I meant liberal. Liberals are the same all over the world. If a liberal farts the nearest conservative did it.

However, the Dems have been in control much of the time since so no, they do not get a pass. They helped get it in and helped keep it in. You can't rewrite history for anyone but yourself.

Bullshit. Liberals have been cleaning up the mess conservatives make of the economy since the Guilded Age.

Our Liberal Government also retained the deal, because once done, they're not easily undone. Americans were sold on the notion that once Mexicans could have genuine economic opportunities at home, they'd stop crossing the border in such numbers, but that hasn't worked either because of the violence and corruption in that country.

Clinton also kept Reagan's tax structure intact, and did nothing to restore anti-trust laws. But he did far less damage to the US economy than did either Reagan or W.

Bullshit. Liberals have been cleaning up the mess conservatives make of the economy since the Guilded Age.
Liar. We don't all belong to your libcult so preaching nonesense won't work.
Our Liberal Government also retained the deal, because once done, they're not easily undone. Americans were sold on the notion that once Mexicans could have genuine economic opportunities at home, they'd stop crossing the border in such numbers, but that hasn't worked either because of the violence and corruption in that country.

Clinton also kept Reagan's tax structure intact, and did nothing to restore anti-trust laws. But he did far less damage to the US economy than did either Reagan or W.
We get it. You're a bigot that hates conservatives. And I don't give a fuck. We clear?

We get it. You're a bigot that hates conservatives. And I don't give a fuck. We clear?

Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it. American conservatives have learned nothing from their stupid wars or the economic melt down they caused.

Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it. American conservatives have learned nothing from their stupid wars or the economic melt down they caused.
You ignored everything I said and just repeated your brain dead bigotry.

Wars and economic meltdowns have nothing to do with political affiliation. Follow the money (hint>>>banks, oil, industry)

Why don't you learn the real history of this country instead of spewing partisan bullshit. Because if you do, you will find that there is no difference between the established left and right. Perception is 9/10ths reality for most because they only see things in 2 dimensions and they never see the overall picture. Every economic downturn has been a staged event...even the market crash of 1929 because the international bankers are the puppet masters that always come out on the winning end by accruing hard assets for what amounts to Monopoly money when the fiat money supply is retracted. You do not understand how the system really works...I do.

Forum List

Back