University is Too White

The big problems is this:

25% of black people are in poverty. 25% of hispanics are in poverty

7% of whites are in poverty.

Why is this? And what is anyone doing about it?

The problem is anybody regardless of color or ethnic is living in poverty.

And if the offical poverty threshold was real, those numbers living in would be much much higher, too.

Take a look at the offical numbers and you'll see what I mean.

2013 POVERTY GUIDELINES FOR THE 48 CONTIGUOUS STATES
AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Persons in family/household Poverty guideline
For families/households with more than 8 persons, add $4,020 for each additional person.
1 $11,490
2 15,510
3 19,530
4 23,550
5 27,570
6 31,590
7 35,610
8 39,630

Got to tell yas..nobody making only $11,491 a year is NOT living in poverty.

Just a gentle reminder...the biggest single ethnic/age group living in poverty in the USA is still WHITE CHILDREN

Yes, poverty is a problem, and not many politicians are doing much to help.

And yes, white children make up the largest, because 7% of white people is a BIGGER number than 25% of black people.

"Yes, poverty is a problem, and not many politicians are doing much to help."
You don't do much reading, do you.
You must be kidding. FDR rolled out the New Deal 80 years ago. THat was compounded by LBJ's Great Society.
Once again, over half the federal budget goes to social programs.

However where race comes into this is why there is a far higher percentage of black people in poverty, and I believe this is still a legacy of slavery and segregation.
Your argument would be greatly enhanced if you could show other places in the world where there is no legacy of slavery or apartheid, where the educational or socioeconomic achievements of blacks rivals that of others. I know of none, but I would be interested in a serious referral whether blacks are in the majority or not.
Prince George's County, MD, median household income $20k higher than the national average. Predominantly black, second worst performing schools in the state, second highest crime in the state, only Baltimore city is worse. Has been that way for 25 years running.
This problem is about lack of family structure and is obfuscated by allegations of race but is really a product of post-Great Society agendas. The segregation is post -civil rights, self-segregation and the culture is a post-civil rights contrivance, using slavery, Jim Crow, etc., as an excuse.

However where race comes into this is why there is a far higher percentage of black people in poverty, and I believe this is still a legacy of slavery and segregation.
Your argument would be greatly enhanced if you could show other places in the world where there is no legacy of slavery or apartheid, where the educational or socioeconomic achievements of blacks rivals that of others. I know of none, but I would be interested in a serious referral whether blacks are in the majority or not.
Prince George's County, MD, median household income $20k higher than the national average. Predominantly black, second worst performing schools in the state, second highest crime in the state, only Baltimore city is worse. Has been that way for 25 years running.
This problem is about lack of family structure and is obfuscated by allegations of race but is really a product of post-Great Society agendas. The segregation is post -civil rights, self-segregation and the culture is a post-civil rights contrivance, using slavery, Jim Crow, etc., as an excuse.

15 points less iq for your avg black compared to whites.
Far lower on the SAT, ACT and every test I've ever seen. The amount of statistics backing reality today compared to 100 years ago is mind blowing...Somehow still the left has managed to brainwash the entire effin country.

Why? It mostly has to do with education, ironically.

I agree. However a lot of it is to do with the way kids are taught. Expecting kids to be academic no matter what, a one size fits all system, simply doesn't work. It also gives the advantage to kids from richer, more stable families.

I agree. Not all kids are academic. We need to bring back vocational high schools. We do have vocational programs at community colleges and those should be given more financial attention by state agencies and promoted so more kids will enter those programs than be guided to take academic college courses which are not the best choice for them. One size fits all doesn't work, I agree.

:slap:
Western Washington U is mediocre because it's too white. So says the college president. I thought he was talking about the basketball team but he means the entire school.
Maybe they can start the fix by replacing him with a non-white.

LOOKIE HERE

So you think white people that don't ignore racism should be replaced?:confused:

So, sport, how about if the president of Morgan St said his school was mediocre because it was too black?

There are plenty of historically black colleges, I havent heard any of those Presidents calling thier schools mediocre.

Maybe the President of WWU can visit some of those schools and get some pointers. That way he can improve his University with what he has to work with.

Western Washington U is mediocre because it's too white. So says the college president. I thought he was talking about the basketball team but he means the entire school.

LOOKIE HERE

What's the percentage of blacks in Western Washington? Less than 1%?

What's the percentage enrolled in this school?

Why? It mostly has to do with education, ironically.

I agree. However a lot of it is to do with the way kids are taught. Expecting kids to be academic no matter what, a one size fits all system, simply doesn't work. It also gives the advantage to kids from richer, more stable families.

I agree. Not all kids are academic. We need to bring back vocational high schools. We do have vocational programs at community colleges and those should be given more financial attention by state agencies and promoted so more kids will enter those programs than be guided to take academic college courses which are not the best choice for them. One size fits all doesn't work, I agree.
The dumbest thing a kid can do today is to attend college.

:slap:

LOOKIE HERE

So you think white people that don't ignore racism should be replaced?:confused:

I think that White, Black or Brown people who can find racism where none exists should be replaced with intelligent people of any color.

It is obvious that Western Washington University is mediocre because the people running it are mediocre. It has nothing to do with the color of the people attending.

The dumbest thing a kid can do today is to attend college.

The whole damn thing is anti-white and anti-Male. They really do think men are trash that shouldn't be part of the family.

Promoting single woman ran households that disadvantage the child. How fucking stupid can these people get?

It hurts me to say that I 100% agree with you.

Not all kids are academic. We need to bring back vocational high schools. We do have vocational programs at community colleges and those should be given more financial attention by state agencies and promoted so more kids will enter those programs than be guided to take academic college courses which are not the best choice for them. One size fits all doesn't work,

In PG County, vo-tech has been deemphasized because the neo-segregationist culture thinks it reflects badly on the intellect of their mostly black enrollment. They expect all of their children to become reverend/doctor/lawyers.

Adding more blacks to a school has never been a benefit

Wimped out, eh?

Couldn't think of a black population anywhere in the world which outperforms other ethnicities.;) At times people all over the world were under the thumb of imperialism, enslaved, discriminated, and forced to migrate to new lands with nothing to become second-class citizens. There is only one group to fail uniformly and miserably where ever they are found.

Racism is a default position consistently used by that same group and their apologists.

This falls flat, especially in view of the fact that generations have been fostered to succeed with precious little show for the effort.

Oh please. Do you really take me for a moron who has to "win" all arguments, especially those that have been given to me and because you assume you know my position you're now claiming I'm wimping out. No, i'm not that pathetic, sorry.

Have black people failed? Look at the US. 25% poverty for black people and 25% for Hispanics. Oh, but when it suits people there are more white people in poverty, when it doesn't there's a larger percentage of blacks failing.

Let's make this clear. Many black people have had to struggle to get anywhere. Also, there's a black president, so if black people are so damn useless, what does that make the rest of the people?

What is an apologist? From your view it might just be someone you don't understand so you have to give them a label and belittle them. I don't know. Perhaps some people are. Other people try and search for the truth as to why things happen. Doesn't mean they like the truth that comes out, but they accept the truth because the lies aren't worth listening to.

Now, what do you want? An excuse to belittle, or the truth? Do you want to know if there are solutions or do you just want to reinforce prejudice?

This is the important question right now.

I must ask, why did you post this obvious attempt to derail the thread?
To answer your query. The people you mentioned are primarily responsible for their situation. It is up to them to at least make an attempt to raise their standard of living.
And while we're at it. Well over HALF of the nearly $4 trillion federal budget is spent on social programs that are in theory supposed to lift people out of poverty. THAT is what is being done.
Now, back to the thread. Let your next post be on point.

Er... actually my post is very on point. Oh, you don't want to acknowledge that this whole topic is about opportunities for different groups.

You think in America it's still "everyone can make it" huh?

The problem is, everyone could make it potentially, as long as things are on their side. It's not as easy in the modern era to make it when many companies won't employ those who simply don't have the right education.

Yes, there are lots of programs. Are these programs actually helping people, or are they merely about making it look like the govt is doing something about it?

Let me give a clear example of how the govts' attempt at solving problems is just not working because they didn't think about it.

Food Assistance Programs | Nutrition.gov

"Team Nutrition's Goal is to improve children's lifelong eating and physical activity habits by using the principles of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPyramid."

Miniposter-1.png

th

So someone makes a pyramid about how kids should eat. The govt takes it, tries to put it into schools and ends up with pizza, chips and other such food being "healthy" simply because it contains stuff they're supposed to eat.

Now, you want to see why this is on point?

Well, poverty effects educational achievement. Kids with family problems, kids with poor diets, kids with poor role models, kids with a life that is not as good as others do less well in education than kids with a good family environment, a good social environment etc.

How many kids from inner city areas go to university?

Education in the Inner City

"For mostly financial reasons, people who live in the inner city are often left out of opportunities presented to people living elsewhere."

"Living in the inner city effects all families, elderly couples and young working class members, but nobody is effected more than children. Growing up as a child in the inner city is certainly a challenge. These kids don't have adequate facilities to grow up in a healthy manner. Parks aren't well kept streets are dirty and above all, the education they are offered is inexcusably poor. For most kids a solid education is perhaps their only chance to get off the streets, out of the city so that they can create a better situation for their own kids. But if these inner city kids aren't given the same educational opportunities as other kids, then they can never get out and the problem just grows."

http://www.princeton.edu/~jcurrie/publications/inman_june07.pdf

"In fact, poverty has increasingly become an urban problem: In 1979, rural poverty exceeded urban poverty, but by 1999, the situation had been reversed. In 2003, 17.5 percent of central city urban residents were poor compared to 9.1 percent in other urban areas, and 14.2 percent outside metro areas (Weinberg, 2005)."

"The negative effects of poverty on children can be especially pernicious, blighting lives
before they really start. Brooks-Gunn and Duncan (1997) document that children who grow up in poverty suffer worse outcomes than other children. This is especially true of those who live in extreme poverty or who live below the poverty line for many years (and about 15 percent of children who ever become poor will live in poverty for at least 10 years.) Currie and Lin (2007) show that low income children are more likely than other children to suffer from virtually every type of health insult, and, perhaps as a result, are in worse overall health. Poor children are more likely than other children to suffer mental health problems including learning disabilities and developmental delays, in addition to their physical health problems. These problems in turn may be linked to higher rates of school failure, teen parenthood, and risky behaviors among poor children."

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that poverty has a lasting impact on children.

Then this has an impact on who goes to university.

Now if 25% of black people are in poverty what effect does this have on education?

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p20-571.pdf
Table 1

Drop out rate grades 10-12
White non-hispanic 2.4
Black 3.8
Hispanic 4.1
Asian 3.1

No high school completion
White non-hispanic 6.4
Black 6.5
Asian 4.4
Hispanics 12.6

Table 2

Full time Enrollment in university 2 year course/4 year course (respectively)

White non-hispanic 16.6/56.8
Black 22.9/49.5
Asian 14.4/65.5
Hispanics 27.1/41.9

Now, you want to know why there are more females in university but more males in high school? Maybe you can say that boys are simply inferior, and will never make it to the top.

Now, it seems that black kids do better than hispanic kids, when both have about the same level of poverty. But if I could find statistics about where kids came from, I'd bet that white kids in poverty would have similar statistics to black kids in poverty.

I see right through your agenda. Without doing a single minute of research, you've convinced yourself the school is racist. That is not going to fly here.

You don't get to muddy the waters by throwing about a bunch of "what if" questions.
Go do your homework. If you can find a pattern of exclusion of non white students at WWU, then come back and post your findings. Otherwise, stop deflecting.

I'm sorry. Where did I say the school was racist? Oh wait, i didn't. Stop putting stuff into my mouth.

You clearly don't know my agenda, seeing as you're not even looking at what I write and assuming everything.

"You think a kid in an inner city crime infested area is going to make the same choices as a prep boy? And if not, then why?"
Is that the problem of families who've decided to live in better areas?
There are plenty of opportunities for inner city kids to get out via education.
Horse to water.
This is all immaterial.
The issue here is the statement by the WWU president. What he said is wrong. He is practicing blatant bigotry.

No, there is no problem in people trying to live in better areas.

There are opportunities for kids to get out through education. There are also opportunities for them to f-up big time. It's not as simple as to say that if there is an opportunity then this is just job done and if a massive group of people end up turning to crime, well, couldn't do more.

Now, you want to make this topic just about what one person said without discussing the issues of WHY he said it. Yeah, let's talk about this by ignoring EVERYTHING.

What he said isn't racist. He's making a point, the same as I am making. That poverty doesn't do well for education and black people are more likely to be in poverty and less likely to go to university.

What you believe is irrelevant.
" Poorer kids are less likely to study especially when they're brought up in an environment that teaches them that studying isn't the way forward."
Ok, I will permit this to go on for another 30 seconds.
My response to your statement....Who's problem is that? Trillions of dollars in taxpayer resources have been spent on a myriad of programs to help kids get a chance to leave their poverty stricken neighborhoods via higher education and skilled job training.
How much is enough.
What really galls me is you elitist libs get to sit back and fire away with these statements and accusations as though to say "I know what's going on and I am going to make it someone else's job to fix what I believe to be a crisis."
Ok, now you're done. Back to the issue of the thread. No more of this shit.

So, throwing money at something instantly solves the problem then?

Here's the big problem.

The US spends double on healthcare than anyone else, and yet 15% got no healthcare at all.
The US spends loads on food programs, and feeds kids rubbish.

Doesn't this sort of imply that nothing is getting done, people throw money at things, and don't do it properly, what do you expect the outcome to be?

Forum List

Back