University is Too White

I live in a country that's 98% white. The only person I've known who said we need more racial diversity was a guilt-ridden South African white woman who, for some reason, chose one of the whitest countries in the world to live in. When pressed on the contradiction, she refused to discuss it.

Guilt is an emotion which for some reason people believe that they can infect others. I suspect the young and stupid are the most susceptible. I prefer areas devoid of crime and racial tensions, but that's just me.

Western Washington U is mediocre because it's too white. So says the college president. I thought he was talking about the basketball team but he means the entire school.
Maybe they can start the fix by replacing him with a non-white.

LOOKIE HERE

it is probably silly to get any information from campuseform.org

and they didn't use the word "mediocre".

the question asked how to diversity.

in normal society, diversity is a good thing.

i know that isn't the case in rightwingnuthackworld.

I live in a country that's 98% white. The only person I've known who said we need more racial diversity was a guilt-ridden South African white woman who, for some reason, chose one of the whitest countries in the world to live in. When pressed on the contradiction, she refused to discuss it.

Guilt is an emotion which for some reason people believe that they can infect others. I suspect the young and stupid are the most susceptible. I prefer areas devoid of crime and racial tensions, but that's just me.

Maybe some people have guilt. But to be honest I don't think many do. Maybe people just want equality and rights. Or is that such an old concept, seeing as the founding fathers seemed to like it way back before cars?

Maybe some people have guilt. But to be honest I don't think many do. Maybe people just want equality and rights. Or is that such an old concept, seeing as the founding fathers seemed to like it way back before cars?
What do equality and rights have to do with it? Do you honestly think that countries and institutions cannot have equality or rights without a politically correct quota of minorities?!

Sorry, that's nonsense. I can only guess that kind of rationale is borne of guilt.

Last edited:
What do equality and rights have to do with it? Do you honestly think that countries and institutions cannot have equality or rights without a politically correct quota of minorities?!

Sorry, that's nonsense. I can only guess that kind of rationale is borne of guilt.

Yes, countries can have equality and rights without quotas. Not sure why you brought up quotas. In fact I think quotas are an expression of complete uselessness in the govt that instigates them in the this modern era. It says they don't have the brains or the balls to actually do something of substance to change the rubbish that is happening right now.

Is it about guilt? No, it's about people without a clue trying to justify their position in government.

Yes, countries can have equality and rights without quotas. Not sure why you brought up quotas. In fact I think quotas are an expression of complete uselessness in the govt that instigates them in the this modern era. It says they don't have the brains or the balls to actually do something of substance to change the rubbish that is happening right now.

Is it about guilt? No, it's about people without a clue trying to justify their position in government.
Hmm, I think mebbe you should take a gander at the subject of this thread, you know the university being a failure because it's too white and all.

Yeah, it's guilt coupled with or brought on by public US education.

Hmm, I think mebbe you should take a gander at the subject of this thread, you know the university being a failure because it's too white and all.

Yeah, I know what the topic is about, and I'm making the suggestion that people can use their brains when they talk about topics instead of putting the topic into a small box and saying you can't about anything other than the box and its contents.

Do you think that education has nothing to do with universities?

Do you think poverty has nothing to do with education?

Do you think that, perhaps maybe, that black people having higher levels of poverty and lower levels of university achievement might actually go hand in hand?

Do you not think that this guy is perhaps saying the university wants to get more of a balance that reflects US society so that the university is considered to be a part of that society, and that this is the right way to go?

Or should we just drool a little while drinking beer and say "ef-it"?

Yeah, I know what the topic is about, and I'm making the suggestion that people can use their brains when they talk about topics instead of putting the topic into a small box and saying you can't about anything other than the box and its contents.

Do you think that, perhaps maybe, that black people having higher levels of poverty and lower levels of university achievement might actually go hand in hand?

Do you not think that this guy is perhaps saying the university wants to get more of a balance that reflects US society so that the university is considered to be a part of that society, and that this is the right way to go?

Five Questions:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No, I find that a university which does not have a politically correct cross-spectrum of a society can still be part of that society.

5. At times

We obviously agree on more than we disagree judging from your questions. Where we seem to part company is what the causes are. While there is little doubt racism plays a role, there are other obvious factors which go beyond that. Ascribing, as you do, the ills of African-Americans to racism and racism alone is idealistic and naive. The roots of the problem go far deeper whether you deem that utterance "correct" or not. I really don't care.

What I do care about deeply is an ongoing problem that no amount of self-righteousness, self-delusion or ignorance is going to resolve. We have not matured enough as a society to set aside the convictions of self-appointed ideologues and deal with a naked truth that will continue to plague us until it is openly and honestly confronted.

Idealism is a privilege of youth, stupidity is not.

Western Washington U is mediocre because it's too white. So says the college president. I thought he was talking about the basketball team but he means the entire school.

LOOKIE HERE

First off, I learned of this story from a radio broadcast that faded in then out as I drove through N Carolina. I looked it up on the web and found no MSM link discussing it (surprise). I used one of the few available links for the sake of creating discussion.
As for diversity, that is just a left wing euphemism for segregation.

But cultural poverty transcends money and wealth. PG County, MD, illustrates that. Plenty of wealth, opportunity, college degrees, crime and social demise.
It's a fatherless, neo-segregation black thing.

LOOKIE HERE

Diversity is not a bad thing, because it is essentially individualism. Diversity becomes a bad thing when it involves group politics and especially ethnic group politics.

To a liberal, diversity refers to ethnic groups. To a conservative, diversity refers to treating people as the individuals that they are. We accept ethnic diversity but only on an individual basis. We do not get giddy over being politically correct by accepting ethnic groups, any more than we accept any other political group as a necessity.

Individuals have rights, groups do not.

LOOKIE HERE

Diversity is not a bad thing, because it is essentially individualism. Diversity becomes a bad thing when it involves group politics and especially ethnic group politics.

To a liberal, diversity refers to ethnic groups. To a conservative, diversity refers to treating people as the individuals that they are. We accept ethnic diversity but only on an individual basis. We do not get giddy over being politically correct by accepting ethnic groups, any more than we accept any other political group as a necessity.

Individuals have rights, groups do not.

Diversity happens. If it must be discussed or focused upon it then becomes segregation.
Bobby Jindal is diversity. Al Sharpton is segregation.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No, I find that a university which does not have a politically correct cross-spectrum of a society can still be part of that society.

5. At times

We obviously agree on more than we disagree judging from your questions. Where we seem to part company is what the causes are. While there is little doubt racism plays a role, there are other obvious factors which go beyond that. Ascribing, as you do, the ills of African-Americans to racism and racism alone is idealistic and naive. The roots of the problem go far deeper whether you deem that utterance "correct" or not. I really don't care.

What I do care about deeply is an ongoing problem that no amount of self-righteousness, self-delusion or ignorance is going to resolve. We have not matured enough as a society to set aside the convictions of self-appointed ideologues and deal with a naked truth that will continue to plague us until it is openly and honestly confronted.

1) So, people just end up in universities, no matter whether they have complete high school or not?

2) Have you ever worked in a school, or worked with kids? Because I have, and I can tell you that poverty makes a MASSIVE difference.

Try this for size. A kid couldn't get free schools meals because he parents couldn't be bothered to sign the form. How does a kid study properly when he's hungry.

Another case. A kid was always late for school. Someone at the school called the parents and asked why. "Oh, he has to take his two younger siblings to primary school" "well can you not wake him up earlier?" the school asked. "No" was the response.
So the school had to call the boy up every morning to make sure he could get his sibling to primary school and himself to school on time.

These are not cases from a school I worked, but someone I knew's school. 50% of kids in the city lived in families with not enough money to live, and this school was in the poor part of the city.

I worked at a school were perhaps 3 fathers were in prison for sexually abusing their kids, and that was a good school.

3) So, after saying yes to poverty having nothing to do with education, you now say that poverty of black people goes hand in hand with low levels of achievement??? Have you made a mistake here?

4) This is about what the guy might be say, rather than what you think.

5) Is this the right wing way?

Wow, I never said that I was just saying racism is the only cause. I think racism plays a part because historical racism has put a lot of black people at the bottom of the pile, and it's not always so easy to rise up. But I also think racism has affected the way people deal with the situation.
But it's not just racism. There's also elitism, the rich not wanting the poor to rise up. This is done by making education not worth so much. If you follow what happens in UK politics you can see the Tories (right wing) have come in and decided education needs to be purely academic. In the modern world this defies comprehension, a lot of kids simply aren't academic. In the US academic education is still seen as very important, when in reality it shouldn't be.

Intelligence comes in many forms. And to say one is the "right one" is ridiculous.

But there are other ways of keeping people down. The Native Americans have been kept down by sticking them on poor land, destroying their crops, under-educating them, giving them cheap alcohol and many other ways. Then people joke they are useless, well if the govt forces them to be useless, what are you going to get?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

5. At times

1) So, people just end up in universities, no matter whether they have complete high school or not?

2) Have you ever worked in a school, or worked with kids? Because I have, and I can tell you that poverty makes a MASSIVE difference.

Try this for size. A kid couldn't get free schools meals because he parents couldn't be bothered to sign the form. How does a kid study properly when he's hungry.

Another case. A kid was always late for school. Someone at the school called the parents and asked why. "Oh, he has to take his two younger siblings to primary school" "well can you not wake him up earlier?" the school asked. "No" was the response.
So the school had to call the boy up every morning to make sure he could get his sibling to primary school and himself to school on time.

These are not cases from a school I worked, but someone I knew's school. 50% of kids in the city lived in families with not enough money to live, and this school was in the poor part of the city.

I worked at a school were perhaps 3 fathers were in prison for sexually abusing their kids, and that was a good school.

3) So, after saying yes to poverty having nothing to do with education, you now say that poverty of black people goes hand in hand with low levels of achievement??? Have you made a mistake here?

4) This is about what the guy might be say, rather than what you think.

5) Is this the right wing way?

Wow, I never said that I was just saying racism is the only cause. I think racism plays a part because historical racism has put a lot of black people at the bottom of the pile, and it's not always so easy to rise up. But I also think racism has affected the way people deal with the situation.
But it's not just racism. There's also elitism, the rich not wanting the poor to rise up. This is done by making education not worth so much. If you follow what happens in UK politics you can see the Tories (right wing) have come in and decided education needs to be purely academic. In the modern world this defies comprehension, a lot of kids simply aren't academic. In the US academic education is still seen as very important, when in reality it shouldn't be.

Intelligence comes in many forms. And to say one is the "right one" is ridiculous.

But there are other ways of keeping people down. The Native Americans have been kept down by sticking them on poor land, destroying their crops, under-educating them, giving them cheap alcohol and many other ways. Then people joke they are useless, well if the govt forces them to be useless, what are you going to get?
You wasted a lot of time pointlessly rebutting answers. That sometimes is what you get asking negative questions. Still, we obviously disagree on much. Much of that has to do with excuses and apologies.

Where on earth do you live if your country is 98% White skinned!!!!!!!!!the Vatican???steve

Where on earth do you live if your country is 98% White skinned!!!!!!!!!the Vatican???steve
I wouldn't call it my country although I live here. Upper right-hand corner of this post.

You wasted a lot of time pointlessly rebutting answers. That sometimes is what you get asking negative questions. Still, we obviously disagree on much. Much of that has to do with excuses and apologies.

Riddles often need explaining. What are you saying?

I wouldn't call it my country although I live here. Upper right-hand corner of this post.

Cool :D I have been there,I know the Czechs had a very low birth rate since WW1 up until the 1960's,even today they have quite low fertility rate compared to other parts of Europe,it use to be called Bohemia before WW1 and were famous for amongst other things "Bohemian Glass..cut glass"which they still are today,still called Bohemian Glass,your 98%would be about right but I do know you had an influx of Vietnamese in the 80's and there have always been a community of Italians,Greeks and Turks.

Love the food and the people were Great,not quite as Gregarious as us Aussies though, but then who is.steve...What are you doing there or are you a Czech yourself???

Last edited:

Riddles often need explaining. What are you saying?
Let's plays "spot the negative".

Forum List

Back