University is Too White

The big problems is this:

25% of black people are in poverty. 25% of hispanics are in poverty

7% of whites are in poverty.

Why is this? And what is anyone doing about it?

Why? It mostly has to do with education, ironically.

I agree. However a lot of it is to do with the way kids are taught. Expecting kids to be academic no matter what, a one size fits all system, simply doesn't work. It also gives the advantage to kids from richer, more stable families.

Western Washington U is mediocre because it's too white. So says the college president. I thought he was talking about the basketball team but he means the entire school.
Maybe they can start the fix by replacing him with a non-white.

LOOKIE HERE

Having a multi-cultural university is considered a good thing nowadays. This is not something that has to do with liberals in the US or liberals in general. It is a concept that is dominant throughout the world.

These days the world is a place where everyone, not just world leaders, work with people from around the world. Learning about other cultures and ideas, knowing people from other countries and backgrounds expands minds and helps us live and work together. This concept is also addressed toward multi-culturalism within a country. So, any good university campus in America would have a student and faculty population that reflects the population of America and also the world. They should try to make themselves appealing to people from a variety of ethnic and racial groups as well as from other countries. The more narrow your environment, the less you learn, the less you know about the world.

Should your concept apply to grambling, prairie view, alabama state etc?

^^^It isn't my concept. The fact is that in higher education, it is a general perspective, world wide, that universities have a student body and faculty that represent, as much as possible, the world population and with it, a variety of perspectives. Whether those particular schools you mention buy into that idea, I don't know. However, this is not an idea that is based on American liberalism: it is a concept that reaches far and wide across the globe, for the best schools and those wanting to be good schools. One of the purposes of having a varied student body and population is that people learn to think in broader terms, rather than, for instance, thinking all of life and the whole world is a matter of republican versus democratic thinking. Your narrow world view probably reflects the fact of your narrow education.

Last edited:
^^^It isn't my concept. The fact is that in higher education, it is a general perspective, world wide, that universities have a student body and faculty that represent, as much as possible, the world population and with it, a variety of perspectives. Whether those particular schools you mention buy into that idea, I don't know. However, this is not an idea that is based on American liberalism: it is a concept that reaches far and wide across the globe, for the best schools and those wanting to be good schools. One of the purposes of having a varied student body and population is that people learn to think in broader terms, rather than, for instance, thinking all of life and the whole world is a matter of republican versus democratic thinking. Your narrow world view probably reflects the fact of your narrow education.

I'm not arguing with the melting pot theory. I have no problem with that. Should that concept, not yours, apply to grambling etc?

^^^It isn't up to me to decide what should or shouldn't apply to any one university. If it is not realistic for a small university to inact such a plan, then it isn't realistic. But good schools do. The school in Washington, which is the subject of the OP, is not a tiny school in a nowhere place (I'm from Washington). The college president is simply saying he thinks they need to make their school appealing to a broader, more diversified student popluation--in order to be a better school.

A broader more diversified student population does not make a better school. It simply makes it the same as any other failure with a broad and diverse student population.

^^^It isn't up to me to decide what should or shouldn't apply to any one university. If it is not realistic for a small university to inact such a plan, then it isn't realistic. But good schools do. The school in Washington, which is the subject of the OP, is not a tiny school in a nowhere place (I'm from Washington). The college president is simply saying he thinks they need to make their school appealing to a broader, more diversified student popluation--in order to be a better school.

Prairie View has about the same enrollment as wwu. There are 10,000 african americans. 700 in other ethnicities. At wwu, there are 11,000 caucasians and 3200 in other ethnicities. Who needs to become more diverse? It's not a difficult question.

:slap:

So you think white people that don't ignore racism should be replaced?:confused:
What racism?

It's all in your head

So you think that whites are genetically smarter or do you think there was an outside source like racism keeping blacks from getting education and other (proven but you don't seem to know about it)

No skin color is smarter than the next. America's history as bigots is factual though. Most have learned, some.............you.......haven't.

The research has been done, google it, there's a whole list of articles by a whole lot of diverse people. Don't call me a racist, I didn't write the article. Don't call Fox News racist, they only report the facts, you decide.

DNA Discoverer: Blacks Less Intelligent Than Whites | Fox News

"One of the world's most eminent scientists has created a racial firestorm in Britain.

James D. Watson, 79, co-discoverer of the DNA helix and winner of the 1962 Nobel Prize in medicine, told the Sunday Times of London that he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours — whereas all the testing says not really."

He recognized that the prevailing belief was that all human groups are equal, but that "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true."

• Click here to read the full Sunday Times of London profile.

Acknowledging that the issue was a "hot potato," the lifelong Democrat and avowed secular humanist nonetheless said his beliefs were not an excuse to discriminate against blacks.

"There are many people of color who are very talented," said Watson, "but don't promote them when they haven't succeeded at the lower level."

He told the interviewer, a former student of his, that he had recently inaugurated a DNA learning center near Harlem, and would like to have more black researchers at his lab, "but there's no one to recruit."

"Lifelong Democrat and secular humanist", that means he doesn't believe we were created by God with certain inherit rights, among these that all men were created equal.....typical godless Democrat.

Last edited:
However where race comes into this is why there is a far higher percentage of black people in poverty, and I believe this is still a legacy of slavery and segregation.
Your argument would be greatly enhanced if you could show other places in the world where there is no legacy of slavery or apartheid, where the educational or socioeconomic achievements of blacks rivals that of others. I know of none, but I would be interested in a serious referral whether blacks are in the majority or not.

Yeah, let's find a country in the world where black people were not in slavery, didn't suffer from imperialism, or where black people haven't come into the country as underdogs......

Hmm, can't find one.

However this isn't me saying there isn't an issue within black communities. At the same time the Asians might look at the white people and think the same thing, "why don't they study harder" etc etc.

Black people probably are different, and in many cases are trying to conform to a different way of living life and not conforming that well. I'm no expert on the way races do things differently. What I do know is that in education that is purely academic, many bright kids get left behind because they don't conform to the way of teaching that is imposed on them.

In the US though, there is a big issue, and a lot of people are doing not a lot to sort it out. And some are probably working to stop things being sorted out.

The phrase "you can make it if you work hard" doesn't always apply any more, the view of the family has not helped, and many other such images that the govt has tried to portray, and i'm not talking race here.
Do people know how to bring up kids, make a family work, and a lot of other things? Some people figure it out, a lot don't, hence the 40% divorce rate for first marriages.
Wimped out, eh?

Couldn't think of a black population anywhere in the world which outperforms other ethnicities.;) At times people all over the world were under the thumb of imperialism, enslaved, discriminated, and forced to migrate to new lands with nothing to become second-class citizens. There is only one group to fail uniformly and miserably where ever they are found.

Racism is a default position consistently used by that same group and their apologists.

This falls flat, especially in view of the fact that generations have been fostered to succeed with precious little show for the effort.

Last edited:
Western Washington U is mediocre because it's too white. So says the college president. I thought he was talking about the basketball team but he means the entire school.

LOOKIE HERE

Another self hating white liberal bleats his divisive agenda.
In this instance, the issue here is not free speech. This is a person in a position to make decisions regarding the futures of the WWU students.
This guy's comments are racist and biased. He should be fired.
If the same person or even a black person in this position had stated the school was "too black", he'd be already selling shoes .

LOOKIE HERE

So you think white people that don't ignore racism should be replaced?:confused:

Just a minute.
If you are going to ask a question, do not add in your bias by offering up a conclusion.
In your post, you implied the school is racist.
No one, not even the person in the article stated that.
Rephrase your question.

^^^He's not talking about white as in black race and white race; he is talking about diversity. White is being used by some in a generic way these days. Misused, I would say. He doesn't mean the university needs more black students as such, but the school needs more diversity--different enthic groups, different races, different nationalities, etc.

What racism?

It's all in your head

So you think that whites are genetically smarter or do you think there was an outside source like racism keeping blacks from getting education and other (proven but you don't seem to know about it)

No skin color is smarter than the next. America's history as bigots is factual though. Most have learned, some.............you.......haven't.

Once again, you have concluded the school is racist. That is not true.
One more time. Go ahead.

The big problems is this:

25% of black people are in poverty. 25% of hispanics are in poverty

7% of whites are in poverty.

Why is this? And what is anyone doing about it?

I must ask, why did you post this obvious attempt to derail the thread?
To answer your query. The people you mentioned are primarily responsible for their situation. It is up to them to at least make an attempt to raise their standard of living.
And while we're at it. Well over HALF of the nearly $4 trillion federal budget is spent on social programs that are in theory supposed to lift people out of poverty. THAT is what is being done.
Now, back to the thread. Let your next post be on point.

At the glory hole.

Anyway, compare historically black college performance with comparable integrated schools. Yes, they do worse.
The statement is asinine--just what anyone would expect from the racial grievance industry.
Unless it's school policy not to allow the registration of black students, there is no racism just because school population is all white. Just goes to show that liberals are too quick to pull out the race card. Maybe they don't get enough sex and they're uptight.

Not necessarily. If black people are being held back for a variety of reasons, and can't get to university for a variety of reasons, then the questions need to be asked.
I see right through your agenda. Without doing a single minute of research, you've convinced yourself the school is racist. That is not going to fly here.

You don't get to muddy the waters by throwing about a bunch of "what if" questions.
Go do your homework. If you can find a pattern of exclusion of non white students at WWU, then come back and post your findings. Otherwise, stop deflecting.

Some kids study and some kids play basketball. It's all about choices.

And sometimes choices are decided by how kids are brought up. You think a kid in an inner city crime infested area is going to make the same choices as a prep boy? And if not, then why?

Also, I'd say in education, some people like to study one way, others another way, those whose education is right for them can obviously make better choices.

"You think a kid in an inner city crime infested area is going to make the same choices as a prep boy? And if not, then why?"
Is that the problem of families who've decided to live in better areas?
There are plenty of opportunities for inner city kids to get out via education.
Horse to water.
This is all immaterial.
The issue here is the statement by the WWU president. What he said is wrong. He is practicing blatant bigotry.

I live in Tallahassee. Before I retired I worked on several construction projects on Florida A&M Campus and found the students and faculty to be generally friendly and non-racist toward whites working there, but there was a segment that were openly racist and hateful toward whites. There is also a large group of "Nation Of Islam" members there.
Once while I was working on campus it was pointed out that blacks were not living up to their own demands for equal representation in education. Black leaders were calling for more black representation at the other Tallahassee University, 'The Florida State University', until the disparity at A&M was pointed out and then they changed their tune a little bit. They said that blacks needed a predominantly Black school so black culture could be preserved. (Sounds racist to me). Anyway, FSU increased black representation and A&M remains 95% black. So much for equality in education.

Demographics[edit]
Florida A&M University student enrollment population consists primarily of undergraduates. Ninety percent of the school's enrolled students are African-American. The next largest demographic group is White (non-Hispanic) students at 5%. Native Americans, Hispanics and Asian Americans round out the remaining 5%.

Stick that in your Liberal racist pipe and smoke it!

Last edited:
Who is holding back black students or any student regardless of race?? Who prevents them from learning? Blame is being misdirected.

It's not race necessarily that I'm talking about.

It's about circumstance. Poorer kids are less likely to study especially when they're brought up in an environment that teaches them that studying isn't the way forward.

Poor white kids, poor black kids etc.

However where race comes into this is why there is a far higher percentage of black people in poverty, and I believe this is still a legacy of slavery and segregation.

What you believe is irrelevant.
" Poorer kids are less likely to study especially when they're brought up in an environment that teaches them that studying isn't the way forward."
Ok, I will permit this to go on for another 30 seconds.
My response to your statement....Who's problem is that? Trillions of dollars in taxpayer resources have been spent on a myriad of programs to help kids get a chance to leave their poverty stricken neighborhoods via higher education and skilled job training.
How much is enough.
What really galls me is you elitist libs get to sit back and fire away with these statements and accusations as though to say "I know what's going on and I am going to make it someone else's job to fix what I believe to be a crisis."
Ok, now you're done. Back to the issue of the thread. No more of this shit.

Forum List

Back