USMB Coffee Shop IV

Taking off from work soon to tackle the tree problem at my house. The tree is about 18-20" in diameter and creates a Y about 16' off the ground. This is where a 16" split occurred a week ago last Sunday. The southern part is over my house and is resting on or damaging the roof. Once I cut it up, the rest will undoubtedly cause the tree to fall north onto the neighbor's driveway, so I will need to cut the tree down. This puts the neighbor's garage and phone/cable lines at risk.

Heights are not my thing. My roof is 22' off the ground at the edges.
We usually rig a come-along or winch to pull the tree in the direction we want it to fall, especially if it's close to the house.

Dog is going to have separation anxiety anyway if kept in lockup for 6 weeks and no visitation. :(

Taking off from work soon to tackle the tree problem at my house. The tree is about 18-20" in diameter and creates a Y about 16' off the ground. This is where a 16" split occurred a week ago last Sunday. The southern part is over my house and is resting on or damaging the roof. Once I cut it up, the rest will undoubtedly cause the tree to fall north onto the neighbor's driveway, so I will need to cut the tree down. This puts the neighbor's garage and phone/cable lines at risk.

Sounds a bit dicey and nerve wracking Save. I would say call an expert and have him deal with the liability issues. But then you ARE the expert. That is a dilemma.

That's damned good work! Wedges and proper cutting works. My partner grew up cutting trees, he does a pretty good job.

Good morning everybody. Fortifying with coffee before neatening up the closets and the office in advance of the exterminators coming this afternoon. We have had an on going ant problem off and on that we manage ourselves and an occasional beetle or spider gets in the house and that is no big deal. But this past week Hombre identified and killed a roach, and I'm not about to have that. So....time for the exterminator.
If you had a cat, you'd have fewer bug problems. I had a fly get in the house earlier and Mr. Peepers pursued it until he had it captured and consumed. Roaches are different. Once one moves in, they bring along all their brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, the entire roach village. Hope the exterminator works for you.
Last summer we had carpenter ants invade the cabin. I found and destroyed their nest and applied diatomaceous earth to the footings of the cabin. No more ants.

Actually we have almost no bug problem. The ants seem to have given up and we haven't seen any for some time. The occasional beetle is no serious problem--we get maybe two or three a year. The occasional spider once in a blue moon is also easily dispatched or removed to the outdoors. We never get flies or mosquitoes.

But the roach. We have only seen one, but that is sufficient for me to call in the exterminator.

Well, it's official...the sunlight today has that certain buttery yellow tint, and the breeze carries a "taste" that signals Fall is imminent. School starts in a week and a half, the State Fair starts about the same time. And so the wheel continues to turn. I wonder how much longer we'll be working in shirt sleeves?

So you seriously contemplating moving over to Korea, GW?
It is tempting. I would be able to visit my girls, Okinawa isn't that far away from Korea. It's actually lots closer than I've been in years. The money working on a contract like that is also pretty good and unless they've changed the rules, income tax free as long as I earn it overseas. I'd still have Alaska to come back to, but at my age, moving to a foreign country, giving up all my fur-fam companions...well, that's a lot to contemplate. I guess it comes down to whether everything I give up will be worth what I may gain. So, yes, I am considering moving to Korea if it means being closer to my girls. Sometimes you just have to pinch your nose and jump into the pool...

Good morning everybody. Fortifying with coffee before neatening up the closets and the office in advance of the exterminators coming this afternoon. We have had an on going ant problem off and on that we manage ourselves and an occasional beetle or spider gets in the house and that is no big deal. But this past week Hombre identified and killed a roach, and I'm not about to have that. So....time for the exterminator.
If you had a cat, you'd have fewer bug problems. I had a fly get in the house earlier and Mr. Peepers pursued it until he had it captured and consumed. Roaches are different. Once one moves in, they bring along all their brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, the entire roach village. Hope the exterminator works for you.
Last summer we had carpenter ants invade the cabin. I found and destroyed their nest and applied diatomaceous earth to the footings of the cabin. No more ants.

Actually we have almost no bug problem. The ants seem to have given up and we haven't seen any for some time. The occasional beetle is no serious problem--we get maybe two or three a year. The occasional spider once in a blue moon is also easily dispatched or removed to the outdoors. We never get flies or mosquitoes.

But the roach. We have only seen one, but that is sufficient for me to call in the exterminator.
No, I agree about roaches. Fortunately, they don't seem to favor Alaska much. I also have to problems with fleas or ticks.

Maybe you can do a test drive. Have the partner take care of the fur fam for 2 or 3 months while you are in korea. Then decide once you get a feel for the place. And who knows..maybe the family will be transfered to Germany in 2 yeras. Then what? This IS a big step for you.

What about finding a caretaker for the alaska fur fam? Same with the Willow place? That way, all is as you left it IF you return or WHEN you return?

Yesterday, I took the weenie-dog to the vet to have her teeth cleaned. She cam through with flying colors. The vet was pleased because she's hesitant about putting older animals under anesthesia. My old lady cat (almost 20!) went too and the news was good for her. Most cats her age have kidney problems but her blood work was all within normal ranges. The egg-sized growth on her side turns out to be a benign cist which the vet aspirated. Old lady cat is doing well and the dog is about as needy as I've ever seen her.

My cat lived to 23. He had bone cancer and thats what did him in. He had no teeth whatsoever and only one eye. He came to me at 8 years old and was wild. Took me months to tame him. BIGGEST cat I ever saw. Huge. And so gentle once tamed. I miss him. A lot.

Gracie,
I have to apologize, but I will not be eating turkey bacon in solidarity with you. I finished my first, and most likely last, package of the stuff. I'll confess, the dog enjoyed most of it. I'm frying up a mess of the real stuff for a BLT right now. I feel so sorry for anyone sentenced to consuming fake bacon.

My cat lived to 23. He had bone cancer and thats what did him in. He had no teeth whatsoever and only one eye. He came to me at 8 years old and was wild. Took me months to tame him. BIGGEST cat I ever saw. Huge. And so gentle once tamed. I miss him. A lot.
Old lady cat is probably older than guess-tamated. I got her at a shelter and she was at least 8 months old at the time. Most of my cats make it to around the 18-yr mark. My vet has a soft spot for the Old lady, though. Seems she's got a cat of the same vintage with almost identical markings. Both cats even have some of the same behavioral idiosyncrasies. When the Old lady cat goes, she will mark the end of an era because she is the last of my cats who lived in the big house I owned for 17 years, which I sold in 2005.

Gracie,
I have to apologize, but I will not be eating turkey bacon in solidarity with you. I finished my first, and most likely last, package of the stuff. I'll confess, the dog enjoyed most of it. I'm frying up a mess of the real stuff for a BLT right now. I feel so sorry for anyone sentenced to consuming fake bacon.

Pork bacon does taste better, but I find the turkey stuff tolerable and I love how little grease it makes when fried. Pork bacon is always such a mess!

So, I haven't had the time or the inclination to go back and read all the prior posts that I missed, but I am wondering how you are doing and how your tests came out? :) Everything is well, I hope.

Gracie,

Pork bacon does taste better, but I find the turkey stuff tolerable and I love how little grease it makes when fried. Pork bacon is always such a mess!

I don't like turkey bacon. I guess it tastes alright, but it's not the same! :)

Sounds a bit dicey and nerve wracking Save. I would say call an expert and have him deal with the liability issues. But then you ARE the expert. That is a dilemma.

Exactly. Well, I went on the roof first and trimmed as much as I could without venturing too close to the edge. Throwing branches off with enough force to clear the roof, while not going with the branch is always a challenge. Managed that without any window breakage.

Next I had the neighbor move his car. Took the branches over his garage out first, then moved to the main section and after multiple attempts, got that part to make a perfect landing. Missed a garage, two nice ornamental trees and a set of cable tv lines.

This leaves the part that caused the whole thing to begin with and the trunk. That should be a single drop at this point.

We usually rig a come-along or winch to pull the tree in the direction we want it to fall, especially if it's close to the house.

I use a cable attached to my 4x4 Yukon.

Forum List

Back