USMB Coffee Shop IV

Only a few days left of winter. Days are slowly starting to get warmer. I can't wait until it gets to summer. I love hot summer nights!

Only a few days left of winter. Days are slowly starting to get warmer. I can't wait until it gets to summer. I love hot summer nights!

Okay dear. You know I love you, but loving hot summer nights puts you officially into the weird department. (I can't sleep in a really warm room.) But then that's probably why you fit in so well with the coffee shoppers. :)

Nobody googled last night's vigil list photo? Would you believe I did a safety inspection on that place. The inspections always include the square footage of the structures on a property. I took the architect's word for that one as I had no clue how to figure the square footage. :)

boedicca Our Albuquerque Journal today is reporting a 4 pt something earthquake in the bay area yesterday - broke water mains in Oakland? I'm not finding anything in the San Francisco or Oakland newspapers though. Did you have any damage?

boedicca Our Albuquerque Journal today is reporting a 4 pt something earthquake in the bay area yesterday - broke water mains in Oakland? I'm not finding anything in the San Francisco or Oakland newspapers though. Did you have any damage?

Hi FF - thank you for asking! The earthquake was a week ago. The epicenter was about a mile from Chez Boe, so we really felt it. 4.0 is not that strong - but the initial reaction is definitely fearful!

We had no damage - it helps to have a house built to modern standards sitting on bedrock. We also have tall furniture strapped to the wall, secure pottery and glass decor with earthquake putty, and use quakehold picture hooks.

The only damage I heard about on the news was in Alameda and involved pictures falling down. That area is landfill - I would NEVER live on landfill in an earthquake prone area.

108090-Happy-Monday-Wishing-You-A-Wonderful-Week.jpg

Hi FF - thank you for asking! The earthquake was a week ago. The epicenter was about a mile from Chez Boe, so we really felt it. 4.0 is not that strong - but the initial reaction is definitely fearful!

We had no damage - it helps to have a house built to modern standards sitting on bedrock. We also have tall furniture strapped to the wall, secure pottery and glass decor with earthquake putty, and use quakehold picture hooks.

The only damage I heard about on the news was in Alameda and involved pictures falling down. That area is landfill - I would NEVER live on landfill in an earthquake prone area.

Ah Hombre might have read the date wrong--he thought the article said yesterday--and he was reading it on line--I haven't checked out the paper today. But this is the land of manana so who knows what 'yesterday' means to the Albuquerque Journal lol. Anyhow glad to know you didn't have any damage because the story made it sound bad.

Ah Hombre might have read the date wrong--he thought the article said yesterday--and he was reading it on line--I haven't checked out the paper today. But this is the land of manana so who knows what 'yesterday' means to the Albuquerque Journal lol. Anyhow glad to know you didn't have any damage because the story made it sound bad.
Typical media sensationalism but that's what people seem to want. :dunno:

Foxfyre

Hey Foxy spent the weekend with Sherry. Did some recording with her son. I actually like these two. Tell me what ya think? I suspect you are a lot more musically knowledgeable than you let on. :)

Last edited:

There are two schools of thought which is why any earthquake that can be felt is considered newsworthy:

1. A small earthquake is a prelude to a much bigger earthquake.

2. A small earthquake relieves stress and delays a much bigger earthquake.

I prefer the second option. :)

Foxfyre

Hey Foxy spent the weekend with Sherry. Did some recording with her son. I actually like these two. Tell me what ya think? I suspect you are a lot more musically knowlwdgeable than you let on. :)

I really enjoyed them a lot WQ. . .love your song choices too--we share much of the same taste in easy listening/ballads and at least Sherry and I enjoy your singing voice.

Thanks for the kind words. I do know a lot about music though I am not a professional. . . .choir, band, and orchestra all through school including college, taught my kid piano until he caught up with me (within a year) and passed me so I had to turn him over to a more competent instructor. Directed church choir for years as well as directed a community show choir that performed here and there and have enjoyed singing with various community choirs over the years. I once considered a music minor but my piano skills are pretty marginal and the instructor tactfully told me that when you make a "C" in applied music, you probably should consider a different career. :)

(I know how Salieri must have felt--having the desire to be a great composer but lacking the gift to be one.)

Last edited:
Foxfyre

Hey Foxy spent the weekend with Sherry. Did some recording with her son. I actually like these two. Tell me what ya think? I suspect you are a lot more musically knowlwdgeable than you let on. :)

I really enjoyed them a lot WQ. . .love your song choices too--we share much of the same taste in easy listening/ballads and at least Sherry and I enjoy your singing voice.

Thanks for the kind words. I do know a lot about music though I am not a professional. . . .choir, band, and orchestra all through school including college, taught my kid piano until he caught up with me (within a year) and passed me so I had to turn him over to a more competent instructor. Directed church choir for years as well as directed a community show choir that performed here and there and have enjoyed singing with various community choirs over the years. I once considered a music minor but my piano skills are pretty marginal and the instructor tactfully told me that when you make a "C" in applied music, you probably should consider a different career. :)

(I know how Salieri must have felt--having the desire to be a great composer but lacking the gift to be one.)

I figured. :) A lot more knowledge than you originally acknowledged. Yeah....I started playing piano years ago and was mediocre at best. I more or less gave it up, but I took to guitar like a fish in water. I was a music minor in college, which helped a lot.

Sherry wants me to teach her piano basics. I think she would be better than me. A project for the future.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Foxfyre

I figured. :) A lot more knowledge than you originally acknowledged. Yeah....I started playing piano years ago and was mediocre at best. I more or less gave it up, but I took to guitar like a fish in water. I was a music minor in college, which helped a lot.

Sherry wants me to teach her piano basics. I think she would be better than me. A project for the future.

I thought it was harder to play the guitar than the piano. Or at least the classical finger style guitar. Strumming a few chords is easy, but playing classical music is a struggle. For one thing there are so many positions up and down the fret board where the same notes appear, and you have to master that before you can play difficult pieces.

Foxfyre

I thought it was harder to play the guitar than the piano. Or at least the classical finger style guitar. Strumming a few chords is easy, but playing classical music is a struggle. For one thing there are so many positions up and down the fret board where the same notes appear, and you have to master that before you can play difficult pieces.

Years ago, our son during one of those life transitional periods stayed with us for a few months as he needed a place to crash and it helped us out too. But we were pretty well working around the clock at that time and he didn't like to go out alone, wasn't into the bar and party scene, and hadn't yet started dating the gal who is now our daughter-in-law. So he decided to teach himself guitar and his interests quickly gravitated to classical guitar though he can do contemporary too. I thought surviving a beginning violin student was challenging enough, but I'll have to admit that listening to classical guitar in the learning period is pretty daunting. :)

He was blessed with two of the best classical guitarists in the country as his teachers though and he became very proficient--now teaches it along with piano in his music school.

Okay I haven't gone out of my way to frustrate you guys for awhile, so here is today's IQ quiz: In the unlikely event that somebody actually wants to solve this himself/herself, if you report the answer, warn that it is a spoiler and put your answer far down in the post. :)

11866288_1642264646030555_4990601059072071538_n.jpg

Forum List

Back