🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'll admit, I did pick up the taste for french fries with mayonnaise when I lived in Europe.

Pommes Frites, mayonnaise and a couple of liters of beer... :beer:

2283568606_d191f4d7c9_z.jpg

Mayo on french fries doesn't sound good to me at all. If I put anything on my french fries, I want ketchup. Nothing else will do.
Mayo on fries is pretty tasty, but nowadays it's doubling down on the grease, carbs, and calories I don't need, or want.

Maybe that's it. I've learned to make fries with minimum fat loading and I don't want the extra fat and calories in the mayo. Ketchup even with the sugar content, just seems healthier.
Ketchup is even healthier if you make your own. Make sure the tomato paste contains only tomatoes and the apple will add that bit of sweetness that makes ketchup so tasty.
There are tons of recipes, depending on which spices you prefer. I use tomato paste (check the label: tomatoes only), dry mustard, ACV, and a grated apple (for sweetness), for the base. Google paleo ketchup recipes for a choice that might suit your tastes best.

You're strange......... :lol:
Try the chips and milk. A couple of chips, a drink of milk and you'll see, I have something here.
The problem is I don't really like milk, never had. My mom told me when I was a baby I refused to drink milk, the doctors told her I would die if she couldn't get me to drink milk, she tried everything and i would just toss the bottle out of the crib. Finally she handed me a glass of milk, I tossed it, tried again and I wouldn't even take it finally she got so frustrated she screamed at me, threw the milk on me, refilled the glass........ I took it and drank the milk....... :lol:
Nowadays I have to have the milk ice cold with cereal as for drinking it....... Only on rare occasions and only iced to almost freezing.
iShouter12.gif
:D

How about kefir with sweet jam? :)
Never tried! Is it tasty?
icon_aww.gif

Offcourse. At least for me, I like fermented milk products very much.

PBS is drumming up funds this evening using an old Roy Orbison concert. I would almost have expected them to feature Chuck Barry, given recent events. Either way, the music is definitely worth putting up with being dunned for contributions.

I'm sure there wasn't enough time to put a Chuck Berry show together, including the legal stuff.

I've been playing some of our old CDs featuring Chuck Berry now and then. But I don't think I would want a whole concert of him. But Roy Orbison, that's easy listening in comparison. Sorry I missed the special.
Seems like they've been replaying the Roy Orbison "Black and White" special every few weeks on PBS. PBS does have lots of worthwhile shows and I have absolutely no problem contributing to them. They feature lots of the BBC "costume dramas", too.

Its good. I like potato chips and white milk too.
Try the chips and milk. A couple of chips, a drink of milk and you'll see, I have something here.
The problem is I don't really like milk, never had. My mom told me when I was a baby I refused to drink milk, the doctors told her I would die if she couldn't get me to drink milk, she tried everything and i would just toss the bottle out of the crib. Finally she handed me a glass of milk, I tossed it, tried again and I wouldn't even take it finally she got so frustrated she screamed at me, threw the milk on me, refilled the glass........ I took it and drank the milk....... :lol:
Nowadays I have to have the milk ice cold with cereal as for drinking it....... Only on rare occasions and only iced to almost freezing.
iShouter12.gif

I make goat milk kefir, but have never tried it with jam. Doe you mix the jam into the kefir? What kind of jam would you recommend.

iShouter12.gif

That must be a Russian thing. :) I looked up kefir and it definitely is not a staple in my kitchen. :)

Something like yogurt, but originally not sweet :)

And that seasoning is only salt....... unless it's boardwalk style fries then it's malted vinegar....... :thup:

You don't add fries to your salt?
That was my mom........ but she added everything to salt.......

I don't think we salt excessively, but nothing annoys me more than to order a nice restaurant dinner and everything arrives bland and not seasoned with ANYTHING. The quality of the food itself and the seasoning is everything. So I may salt more than the average doctor or dietitian would recommend, and I try hard not to salt too much, but my food is seasoned and tastes good.
I rarely cook with salt, unless it's bread, cheese, or cured meats. I find sufficient flavor in the other seasonings I use. I do supply salt for company, though. I knew a guy who would immediately pour half the salt seller onto his food, regardless of preparation. Guy go nose bleeds if he stood from a squat to stand too quickly. Salt has its purposes, no doubt, but as a seasoning for a good meal...bleh!

Tomorrow night we are entertaining my aunt (age 90 but looks and acts 60), my cousin (her sister's daughter), the cousin's daughter and grandson (age 12) from Wichita who are visiting. Dinner will be my house specialty bar-b-qued pork loin, house specialty potato salad, house specialty baked beans, and cole slaw (probably a Dole cole slaw kit because I haven't been able to improve on the texture or taste--it's pretty wonderful.)

Still deciding on a no hassle but great dessert. If Albertsons has fresh strawberries, may go with a strawberry shortcake something or other.

Last edited:
And that seasoning is only salt....... unless it's boardwalk style fries then it's malted vinegar....... :thup:

I don't think we salt excessively, but nothing annoys me more than to order a nice restaurant dinner and everything arrives bland and not seasoned with ANYTHING. The quality of the food itself and the seasoning is everything. So I may salt more than the average doctor or dietitian would recommend, and I try hard not to salt too much, but my food is seasoned and tastes good.
There are some things, like potatoes and pasta that MUST be cooked in salted water or no amount of seasoning afterward will help.
Eggs do best if hard boiled in salted water, too.

iShouter12.gif

I make goat milk kefir, but have never tried it with jam. Doe you mix the jam into the kefir? What kind of jam would you recommend.

Yes, it's a recipe from childhood - mix sugar or sweet jam with kefir to enjoy it's taste :) It really very popular for children, since USSR

I rarely cook with salt, unless it's bread, cheese, or cured meats. I find sufficient flavor in the other seasonings I use. I do supply salt for company, though. I knew a guy who would immediately pour half the salt seller onto his food, regardless of preparation. Guy go nose bleeds if he stood from a squat to stand too quickly. Salt has its purposes, no doubt, but as a seasoning for a good meal...bleh!

Yes, I know people who use little or no salt. But food that is supposed to have salt just doesn't taste like anything to me without some salt.

iShouter12.gif

That must be a Russian thing. :) I looked up kefir and it definitely is not a staple in my kitchen. :)

I like yogurt! I think I could love kefir too
icon_aww.gif

Yes, I know people who use little or no salt. But food that is supposed to have salt just doesn't taste like anything to me without some salt.

"A lot salt is harmful, a few of salt is dangerous" :)

There are some things, like potatoes and pasta that MUST be cooked in salted water or no amount of seasoning afterward will help.

Now there's a trick I haven't know about. What does the salt do for hard boiled eggs?

iShouter12.gif

Obviously, you don't have to find ways to use gallons and gallons of milk!

Now there's a trick I haven't know about. What does the salt do for hard boiled eggs?
Salt increases the boiling point of water, egg whites will solidify faster in hot, salty water. If you want nice, firm boiled eggs, use a bit of salt in the water.

Ack! No salty fries in my shake! :p
Vanilla ice cream on saltine crackers.
Try it before you say anything.
You people are weird........ :D
So is the wife, she likes bananas with Ritz crackers.

Cream cheese and ritz crackers => good. Maybe a few slices of apple, gotta have the fiber.
Only if you mix some smoked salmon, onion powder, and finely diced green olives to your cream cheese.

iShouter12.gif

I like yogurt! I think I could love kefir too
icon_aww.gif
I'm thinking I made a mistake...maybe I should have said " I think I might love kefir too"....
027.gif
icon_eek.gif

Tomorrow night we are entertaining my aunt (age 90 but looks and acts 60), my cousin (her sister's daughter), the cousin's daughter and grandson (age 12) from Wichita who are visiting. Dinner will be my house specialty bar-b-qued pork loin, house specialty potato salad, house specialty baked beans, and cole slaw (probably a Dole cole slaw kit because I haven't been able to improve on the texture or taste--it's pretty wonderful.)

Still deciding on a no hassle but great dessert. If Albertsons has fresh strawberries, may go with a strawberry shortcake something or other.
Sometimes I wish Iived closer to my family. Not that they would visit, even if I lived next door. It would be nice to see some of them sometimes, though. They're always pointing out how expensive it is to come to Alaska...yeah, I guess I know because it costs at least that much to go "down there".

Cream cheese and ritz crackers => good. Maybe a few slices of apple, gotta have the fiber.
Only if you mix some smoked salmon, onion powder, and finely diced green olives to your cream cheese.

Maybe chives instead of onion powder?

Forum List

Back