🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

Its good. I like potato chips and white milk too.
Vanilla ice cream on saltine crackers.
Try it before you say anything.
You people are weird........ :D
So is the wife, she likes bananas with Ritz crackers.

Cream cheese and ritz crackers => good. Maybe a few slices of apple, gotta have the fiber.
Only if you mix some smoked salmon, onion powder, and finely diced green olives to your cream cheese.

The only one of those ingredients I find vaguely appealing is the onion powder. :lol:

I can see how that could work--I do have some dessert recipes using saltines or other kinds of salty crackers.

But a smear of Miracle Whip on a saltine makes a tasty snack for me. Hombre prefers peanut butter or cheddar cheese on his saltine snacks
That reminds me of an aunt that used to eat mayo sandwiches. Just mayo and white bread. She was usually three sheets to the wind, though. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I know folks who eat mayo, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches--no meat or cheese. That just seems strange to me.
I went to a tea once where they had little sandwiches like cucumber, tomato, all kinds of vegetables sandwiches. I made tomato sandwiches once when the electricity went out in a storm and I couldn't cook anything.
I've always wondered what cucumber or watercress tea sandwiches taste like. Were they good?
They were pretty bland. Like the tea. :)

Why was the tea bland?

And why waste bread on cucumber? Just eat some cucumber slices, or hell, just peel a cucumber and eat it like a carrot. :)

That was my mom........ but she added everything to salt.......

I don't think we salt excessively, but nothing annoys me more than to order a nice restaurant dinner and everything arrives bland and not seasoned with ANYTHING. The quality of the food itself and the seasoning is everything. So I may salt more than the average doctor or dietitian would recommend, and I try hard not to salt too much, but my food is seasoned and tastes good.
There are some things, like potatoes and pasta that MUST be cooked in salted water or no amount of seasoning afterward will help.
Eggs do best if hard boiled in salted water, too.

Now there's a trick I haven't know about. What does the salt do for hard boiled eggs?
Salt increases the boiling point of water, egg whites will solidify faster in hot, salty water. If you want nice, firm boiled eggs, use a bit of salt in the water.
Plus the shells, when cracked will slide right off the egg. Without salt the shell will tear off chunks of the white. Also, for easy peeling, a dollop of cooking oil in the water will also work.

That reminds me of an aunt that used to eat mayo sandwiches. Just mayo and white bread. She was usually three sheets to the wind, though. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I know folks who eat mayo, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches--no meat or cheese. That just seems strange to me.
I went to a tea once where they had little sandwiches like cucumber, tomato, all kinds of vegetables sandwiches. I made tomato sandwiches once when the electricity went out in a storm and I couldn't cook anything.
I've always wondered what cucumber or watercress tea sandwiches taste like. Were they good?

Why was the tea bland?

And why waste bread on cucumber? Just eat some cucumber slices, or hell, just peel a cucumber and eat it like a carrot. :)
It's what they do. This is what they look like:

0a917c8bc010a66c1be7a1bf473615c7.jpg

The tea is a rather fancy little luncheon for women, mainly. It's a bland affair, like the sandwich but not all that bad really. I like doing some things that are outside the norm now and then.

Tomorrow night we are entertaining my aunt (age 90 but looks and acts 60), my cousin (her sister's daughter), the cousin's daughter and grandson (age 12) from Wichita who are visiting. Dinner will be my house specialty bar-b-qued pork loin, house specialty potato salad, house specialty baked beans, and cole slaw (probably a Dole cole slaw kit because I haven't been able to improve on the texture or taste--it's pretty wonderful.)

Still deciding on a no hassle but great dessert. If Albertsons has fresh strawberries, may go with a strawberry shortcake something or other.
Sometimes I wish Iived closer to my family. Not that they would visit, even if I lived next door. It would be nice to see some of them sometimes, though. They're always pointing out how expensive it is to come to Alaska...yeah, I guess I know because it costs at least that much to go "down there".

I live about six blocks from my niece who I see maybe three or four times a year--we see our son and family who lives five-1/2 hours away at least that much. :) I live a couple of miles from my sister that I might see once a month. I live about 5 miles from my aunt that I try to see a least once a week just to be sure she's okay. Our daughter in California we see maybe a couple of times a year.

Families that visit a lot see each other regardless of distance. And those who don't crave the up close and personal interaction don't seem to visit each other no matter how close they live.
My daughter and granddaughters are in Japan. While I'm working on getting a passport, crossing international boundaries is a big deal for most countries. I wish I could afford to fly them back here, or that they could afford to come back, but thousands of dollars is not always that easy. I am proud of the fact that my daughter has been (and continues to be) an at-home mother who tends more to her children s' and husband's needs than her own. I always told her, regardless of your choices in life, always be the best you can be, she's done that...and excellently!
My siblings...not so much. Some have visited me here, some have not. Sobeit. I cannot afford either time nor money to fly South to visit. They know where I am.
I switch residences in Charlotte and Ft worth every 2 or 3 months for the past 10 years because of our only grandson. My son lives in Charlotte and I see him often. My brother Bloodrock44 lives near Raleigh and I avoid him as much as possible cause he always wants money.

Why was the tea bland?

View attachment 117783

The tea is a rather fancy little luncheon for women, mainly. It's a bland affair, like the sandwich but not all that bad really. I like doing some things that are outside the norm now and then.

Oh, I thought you meant the tea you were drinking was bland, not the event you were at. :lol:

Why was the tea bland?

View attachment 117783

Oh, I thought you meant the tea you were drinking was bland, not the event you were at. :lol:
I don't like hot tea either. :dunno:. I like ice tea.

Its good. I like potato chips and white milk too.
Vanilla ice cream on saltine crackers.
Try it before you say anything.

I can see how that could work--I do have some dessert recipes using saltines or other kinds of salty crackers.

But a smear of Miracle Whip on a saltine makes a tasty snack for me. Hombre prefers peanut butter or cheddar cheese on his saltine snacks

Actually, I LOVE those. Of course, add a little bacon, and the bread's gotta be toasted, you've got my favorite sandwich.

BLT is my favorite sandwich too. But that isn't the same as tomato and lettuce by themselves. :)

Why was the tea bland?

View attachment 117783

I don't like hot tea either. :dunno:. I like ice tea.

And I enjoy both. :)

Tomorrow night we are entertaining my aunt (age 90 but looks and acts 60), my cousin (her sister's daughter), the cousin's daughter and grandson (age 12) from Wichita who are visiting. Dinner will be my house specialty bar-b-qued pork loin, house specialty potato salad, house specialty baked beans, and cole slaw (probably a Dole cole slaw kit because I haven't been able to improve on the texture or taste--it's pretty wonderful.)

Still deciding on a no hassle but great dessert. If Albertsons has fresh strawberries, may go with a strawberry shortcake something or other.
Sometimes I wish Iived closer to my family. Not that they would visit, even if I lived next door. It would be nice to see some of them sometimes, though. They're always pointing out how expensive it is to come to Alaska...yeah, I guess I know because it costs at least that much to go "down there".

I live about six blocks from my niece who I see maybe three or four times a year--we see our son and family who lives five-1/2 hours away at least that much. :) I live a couple of miles from my sister that I might see once a month. I live about 5 miles from my aunt that I try to see a least once a week just to be sure she's okay. Our daughter in California we see maybe a couple of times a year.

Families that visit a lot see each other regardless of distance. And those who don't crave the up close and personal interaction don't seem to visit each other no matter how close they live.
My daughter and granddaughters are in Japan. While I'm working on getting a passport, crossing international boundaries is a big deal for most countries. I wish I could afford to fly them back here, or that they could afford to come back, but thousands of dollars is not always that easy. I am proud of the fact that my daughter has been (and continues to be) an at-home mother who tends more to her children s' and husband's needs than her own. I always told her, regardless of your choices in life, always be the best you can be, she's done that...and excellently!
My siblings...not so much. Some have visited me here, some have not. Sobeit. I cannot afford either time nor money to fly South to visit. They know where I am.
I switch residences in Charlotte and Ft worth every 2 or 3 months for the past 10 years because of our only grandson. My son lives in Charlotte and I see him often. My brother Bloodrock44 lives near Raleigh and I avoid him as much as possible cause he always wants money.

Bloodrock used to be a fairly frequent visitor to the Coffee Shop. Is he still at USMB? Give him my regards the next time you talk to him please.

Why was the tea bland?

I do that quite a bit. Except that I salt the cucumber. I don't salt the carrot.

Might wanna go to a farmers market for organic strawberries. They are at the top of the list for pesticide residue that does NOT wash off.

I have a hard enough time affording plain old strawberries. So I'll just take my chances with the pesticide. I do wash them thoroughly though. We really don't buy them often enough that it is a serious problem.

The last 50 or 60 posts have mainly been about different concoctions that we have tried sometime in our lives... Some of them I would try and more than likely enjoy... I would try all of them... Having an open mind re: food has always been a thing with me... Very few things I have tried in my life, I refuse to try again... I have eaten liver everyway it can be fixed and every byproduct of the organ... Just can't stomach liver, but I have tried it... Can not think of anything else I do not like and believe me I have eaten everything from fish eyes to calf brains... Beef Tongue is a great meal... Expand your horizons CS's and try some new delicacies...

The last 50 or 60 posts have mainly been about different concoctions that we have tried sometime in our lives... Some of them I would try and more than likely enjoy... I would try all of them... Having an open mind re: food has always been a thing with me... Very few things I have tried in my life, I refuse to try again... I have eaten liver everyway it can be fixed and every byproduct of the organ... Just can't stomach liver, but I have tried it... Can not think of anything else I do not like and believe me I have eaten everything from fish eyes to calf brains... Beef Tongue is a great meal... Expand your horizons CS's and try some new delicacies...

Naw, we're too old to worry about trying new delicacies though I'll taste anything reported to be edible once. But Hombre and I both enjoy such a wide variety of culinary delights that we don't have time for all that we would like to enjoy.

He shares your dislike for liver though. Just can't eat it. So I have to get my liver and onions fix when we're out and about. I don't make it at home.

Last edited:

Bloodrock used to be a fairly frequent visitor to the Coffee Shop. Is he still at USMB? Give him my regards the next time you talk to him please.
He comes onto the forums every week or so but doesn't linger. I've told him his old friends keep asking for him so he comes and goes.

And that seasoning is only salt....... unless it's boardwalk style fries then it's malted vinegar....... :thup:

You don't add fries to your salt?
That was my mom........ but she added everything to salt.......

I don't think we salt excessively, but nothing annoys me more than to order a nice restaurant dinner and everything arrives bland and not seasoned with ANYTHING. The quality of the food itself and the seasoning is everything. So I may salt more than the average doctor or dietitian would recommend, and I try hard not to salt too much, but my food is seasoned and tastes good.
There are some things, like potatoes and pasta that MUST be cooked in salted water or no amount of seasoning afterward will help.

I've never ever cooked anything in salted water. Can't see the point. All it does is raise the boiling temp.

Forum List

Back