🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

Speaking of hard boiled eggs, I just saw this and thought of our Sherry who considers deviled eggs a main course :):

upload_2017-3-21_12-41-1.gif
deviled-egg-chicks.jpg

Really cute idea.

You don't add fries to your salt?
That was my mom........ but she added everything to salt.......

I don't think we salt excessively, but nothing annoys me more than to order a nice restaurant dinner and everything arrives bland and not seasoned with ANYTHING. The quality of the food itself and the seasoning is everything. So I may salt more than the average doctor or dietitian would recommend, and I try hard not to salt too much, but my food is seasoned and tastes good.
I rarely cook with salt, unless it's bread, cheese, or cured meats. I find sufficient flavor in the other seasonings I use. I do supply salt for company, though. I knew a guy who would immediately pour half the salt seller onto his food, regardless of preparation. Guy go nose bleeds if he stood from a squat to stand too quickly. Salt has its purposes, no doubt, but as a seasoning for a good meal...bleh!

Yes, I know people who use little or no salt. But food that is supposed to have salt just doesn't taste like anything to me without some salt.

"A lot salt is harmful, a few of salt is dangerous" :)
Unfortunately, some food processes require salt to succeed. I cannot make cheese without salt (I tried). I must have salt to cure some meat products like ham or jerky. We tend to forget how important salt was before electricity, refrigeration, and other modern processes. Anyone here know that once-upon-a-time meat was immersed in buttermilk to tenderize and preserve it until use?
Sauces, gravies, and marinades originally masked the slightly "off" taste of "old" meat.

Vanilla ice cream on saltine crackers.
Try it before you say anything.
You people are weird........ :D
So is the wife, she likes bananas with Ritz crackers.

Cream cheese and ritz crackers => good. Maybe a few slices of apple, gotta have the fiber.
Only if you mix some smoked salmon, onion powder, and finely diced green olives to your cream cheese.
So is the wife, she likes bananas with Ritz crackers.

Cream cheese and ritz crackers => good. Maybe a few slices of apple, gotta have the fiber.
Only if you mix some smoked salmon, onion powder, and finely diced green olives to your cream cheese.

Maybe chives instead of onion powder?
Oh, yeah! That would work well, too!

Fries shouldn't have anything put on them, other than seasoning. ;)
I like dipping them in my chocolate shake. :)

Ack! No salty fries in my shake! :p
Its good. I like potato chips and white milk too.
Yeah. Mustard on fries is normal. Fries in your shake are normal. Try it; you'll like it.

Fries shouldn't have anything put on them, other than seasoning. ;)

I can see how that could work--I do have some dessert recipes using saltines or other kinds of salty crackers.

But a smear of Miracle Whip on a saltine makes a tasty snack for me. Hombre prefers peanut butter or cheddar cheese on his saltine snacks
That reminds me of an aunt that used to eat mayo sandwiches. Just mayo and white bread. She was usually three sheets to the wind, though. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Tomorrow night we are entertaining my aunt (age 90 but looks and acts 60), my cousin (her sister's daughter), the cousin's daughter and grandson (age 12) from Wichita who are visiting. Dinner will be my house specialty bar-b-qued pork loin, house specialty potato salad, house specialty baked beans, and cole slaw (probably a Dole cole slaw kit because I haven't been able to improve on the texture or taste--it's pretty wonderful.)

Still deciding on a no hassle but great dessert. If Albertsons has fresh strawberries, may go with a strawberry shortcake something or other.
Sometimes I wish Iived closer to my family. Not that they would visit, even if I lived next door. It would be nice to see some of them sometimes, though. They're always pointing out how expensive it is to come to Alaska...yeah, I guess I know because it costs at least that much to go "down there".

I live about six blocks from my niece who I see maybe three or four times a year--we see our son and family who lives five-1/2 hours away at least that much. :) I live a couple of miles from my sister that I might see once a month. I live about 5 miles from my aunt that I try to see a least once a week just to be sure she's okay. Our daughter in California we see maybe a couple of times a year.

Families that visit a lot see each other regardless of distance. And those who don't crave the up close and personal interaction don't seem to visit each other no matter how close they live.

I can see how that could work--I do have some dessert recipes using saltines or other kinds of salty crackers.

But a smear of Miracle Whip on a saltine makes a tasty snack for me. Hombre prefers peanut butter or cheddar cheese on his saltine snacks
That reminds me of an aunt that used to eat mayo sandwiches. Just mayo and white bread. She was usually three sheets to the wind, though. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I know folks who eat mayo, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches--no meat or cheese. That just seems strange to me.

I know folks who eat mayo, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches--no meat or cheese. That just seems strange to me.

Throw a little bacon or ham in there and now you got somethin'.

I went to a tea once where they had little sandwiches like cucumber, tomato, all kinds of vegetables sandwiches. I made tomato sandwiches once when the electricity went out in a storm and I couldn't cook anything.

Actually, I LOVE those. Of course, add a little bacon, and the bread's gotta be toasted, you've got my favorite sandwich.

I went to a tea once where they had little sandwiches like cucumber, tomato, all kinds of vegetables sandwiches. I made tomato sandwiches once when the electricity went out in a storm and I couldn't cook anything.
I've always wondered what cucumber or watercress tea sandwiches taste like. Were they good?

Miracle whip while grilling cheese sandwiches. Yum!
Miracle whip in tuna on a sandwich. Extra yum!
Eating cinnamon candies at the same time with chocolate m&ms. Drool.
Fried green beans with bacon and onion. Like hashbrowns, so make the green beans crispy! Ah. Superb!

Meanwhile....rain. Rain rain rain. Lots and lots of rain. Later this afternoon, thunder and lightening..and more rain. I am so sick of rain.

I've always wondered what cucumber or watercress tea sandwiches taste like. Were they good?
They were pretty bland. Like the tea. :)

Fried green beans with bacon and onion. Like hashbrowns, so make the green beans crispy! Ah. Superb!

Meanwhile....rain. Rain rain rain. Lots and lots of rain. Later this afternoon, thunder and lightening..and more rain. I am so sick of rain.

Include the hashbrowns in there while you're at it.

Tomorrow night we are entertaining my aunt (age 90 but looks and acts 60), my cousin (her sister's daughter), the cousin's daughter and grandson (age 12) from Wichita who are visiting. Dinner will be my house specialty bar-b-qued pork loin, house specialty potato salad, house specialty baked beans, and cole slaw (probably a Dole cole slaw kit because I haven't been able to improve on the texture or taste--it's pretty wonderful.)

Still deciding on a no hassle but great dessert. If Albertsons has fresh strawberries, may go with a strawberry shortcake something or other.
Might wanna go to a farmers market for organic strawberries. They are at the top of the list for pesticide residue that does NOT wash off.

And a scrambled egg. With Tumeric... and cheese. Maybe roll it all up in a flour tortilla.

And a scrambled egg. With Tumeric... and cheese. Maybe roll it all up in a flour tortilla.

And a little diced tomato?

Sometimes I wish Iived closer to my family. Not that they would visit, even if I lived next door. It would be nice to see some of them sometimes, though. They're always pointing out how expensive it is to come to Alaska...yeah, I guess I know because it costs at least that much to go "down there".

I live about six blocks from my niece who I see maybe three or four times a year--we see our son and family who lives five-1/2 hours away at least that much. :) I live a couple of miles from my sister that I might see once a month. I live about 5 miles from my aunt that I try to see a least once a week just to be sure she's okay. Our daughter in California we see maybe a couple of times a year.

Families that visit a lot see each other regardless of distance. And those who don't crave the up close and personal interaction don't seem to visit each other no matter how close they live.
My daughter and granddaughters are in Japan. While I'm working on getting a passport, crossing international boundaries is a big deal for most countries. I wish I could afford to fly them back here, or that they could afford to come back, but thousands of dollars is not always that easy. I am proud of the fact that my daughter has been (and continues to be) an at-home mother who tends more to her children s' and husband's needs than her own. I always told her, regardless of your choices in life, always be the best you can be, she's done that...and excellently!
My siblings...not so much. Some have visited me here, some have not. Sobeit. I cannot afford either time nor money to fly South to visit. They know where I am.

Forum List

Back