USMB Coffee Shop IV

Sorry Kat. No more from me on this topic. I know how you feel. Bothers me too.

So....all is well in KatLand? No loose patio table covers or trashcans walking a foot or two? :lol:

Yes. We protected what we needed to, and then the winds and rain came. Now it's gone, but for it feeling like a sauna outside.......but even that is better.
Thanks for asking.
I would rather not go through that again, but probably will.
Move to the desert southwest, rain? Humidity? What are those........

:D

Humidity keeps the skin from aging. Your dryness ages it. :funnyface:
It's 8 am I Just woke up, waiting for the coffee and outside it's 53 degrees and 35% humidity. I'm feeling sticky with 35% humidity.......... :lol:

I had to go to the doc yesterday and saw a doe laying on the side of the road. I pulled over to see if it was still alive, but it wasn't. If it was, I was gonna haul it to a vet if I could lift it in my van. Alas...it was already gone. When I was coming home from the doc, I saw the county animal control truck lifting it into their truck. It made me sad. :(
I rather like the system we have in Alaska. Whenever a moose gets hit by an auto or train, there is a "call list" of charities who will send out a team to salvage the meat, which finds its way to local soup kitchens and food pantries. When I lived back East, I could not believe the wanton waste of good game meat, dozens of dead deer on the roadsides, just rotting. Unbelievable.

:( When I lived in Alaska, I was in a car late at night that went around a curve and hit a moose. Killed it. It haunted me for so long. The police called one responsible to salvage, and feed others.

I am having a very hard time reading all this stuff. It gets to me big time.
Glad you survived. Hitting a moose is no small matter and many people die. Moose are BIG! What surprises me is how many get hit, even as big as they are, they are also fast. At least their lives aren't wasted, like the poor deer back East.

Good morning, Coffee Shoppers!
Killing a few minutes over my morning coffee before I finish clearing my stuff out of the garage. One thing down, still lots to go. Next week, I'll be pulling the house trailer up to Willow and stash it for the season, so will begin my long commute. I'll be spending some time enroute from work to Willow cleaning and clearing the barn and yard. I'll have to find a couple of tires for the boat trailer, though, because my partner robbed the ones I had for the flatbed trailer. The hay here is almost gone and I plan on having all the goats moved up to Willow by the time that's gone.
My huge problem right now is dealing with a passive-aggressive controller who doesn't want me to move and who insists on getting his way. All this summer, he's supposed to have been putting up fence. So far, there's about half the fence up, and poorly done at that. The barn was supposed to have gotten done. Well, I finally ordered the roof trusses built and picked up the roofing material. I had hopes that I'd be able to get some kind of shelter put together. But, now that I have all the materials, the partner has decided he has much more pressing business in town and has declared he doesn't know when he'll be back out to help. I hired a friend's nephew to come help me pull fence and unload the roofing stuff tomorrow. The partner has disabled the backhoe, too. He's determined to force me to keep the goats in town. My friend who owns this place is pretty much sick and tired of this crap, too. He's trying to get the place ready to sell up. I wish I knew how to get my fool partner to grow up. It's very frustrating when every move you make is blocked, and when you bring this up, the response is verbally violent and the other party storms off in a huff. Guess I'll keep on doing what I can by myself and then spend my sparse savings hiring help.
Thanks for the space, y'all.

The last remnants of Nate rolled through town in the wee small hours of the morning. Rain smacked against the house with no more effect than any summer downpour. Thank God! For those folks down south who get the full brunt, my heart goes out. Clearing away trees and restoring electric service and filing insurance claims is just the cost of doing business for seaside communities. Of course the rest of the year they enjoy the glories of living by the sea.

We get flash floods in the summer and during the thaw of early spring. But those only effect the people living near the river or small uncontrolled streams. The Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate sits near the top of the hill and thankfully never suffers the effects of bad weather.

Back in May of 2013 we did have a hail storm roll through. In the weeks and months after that, out of town contractors prowled the neighborhoods offering their services replacing damaged roofs. I put a standing seam steel roof on Pimplebutt in 2009. The out-of-towners saw me planting the window boxes one Saturday and came across the street to assess any damages to my roof.

It was of course in pristine shape without even a ding or dent. The contractors persisted saying they could replace my four year old roof. When I explained that I was the county building inspector, the out-of-towners turned on their heels and beat a hasty retreat. My office was already busy investigating the sudden influx of these contractors and we busted three different contractors for their shady business practices. How were they to know that one of their prospective clients would be the guy who was about to file charges against them?

The last remnants of Nate rolled through town in the wee small hours of the morning. Rain smacked against the house with no more effect than any summer downpour. Thank God! For those folks down south who get the full brunt, my heart goes out. Clearing away trees and restoring electric service and filing insurance claims is just the cost of doing business for seaside communities. Of course the rest of the year they enjoy the glories of living by the sea.

We get flash floods in the summer and during the thaw of early spring. But those only effect the people living near the river or small uncontrolled streams. The Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate sits near the top of the hill and thankfully never suffers the effects of bad weather.

Back in May of 2013 we did have a hail storm roll through. In the weeks and months after that, out of town contractors prowled the neighborhoods offering their services replacing damaged roofs. I put a standing seam steel roof on Pimplebutt in 2009. The out-of-towners saw me planting the window boxes one Saturday and came across the street to assess any damages to my roof.

It was of course in pristine shape without even a ding or dent. The contractors persisted saying they could replace my four year old roof. When I explained that I was the county building inspector, the out-of-towners turned on their heels and beat a hasty retreat. My office was already busy investigating the sudden influx of these contractors and we busted three different contractors for their shady business practices. How were they to know that one of their prospective clients would be the guy who was about to file charges against them?
These ubiquitous scum seem to prowl any and every place where human woe is rampant due to major disasters. Good on ya, and a lot of the rest of us wish we could turn them on their heels when they appear.

These ubiquitous scum seem to prowl any and every place where human woe is rampant due to major disasters. Good on ya, and a lot of the rest of us wish we could turn them on their heels when they appear.
My staff was instructed to listen to the pneumatic nailers. Three pops and they knew the shingles were being installed improperly. Code enforcement says an asphalt tab shingle must be installed by four nails.

I was busy that summer chasing down licensure for fifteen out of town contractors. Some of these leaches were nothing more than a guy with a pickup truck and an extension ladder. Others were more professional in appearance brandishing business cards with 800 numbers and no address. A few of them showed up en mass with trucks decorated with shrink wrap logos and embroidered polo shirts, but no contractor's license!

I had to go to the doc yesterday and saw a doe laying on the side of the road. I pulled over to see if it was still alive, but it wasn't. If it was, I was gonna haul it to a vet if I could lift it in my van. Alas...it was already gone. When I was coming home from the doc, I saw the county animal control truck lifting it into their truck. It made me sad. :(
I rather like the system we have in Alaska. Whenever a moose gets hit by an auto or train, there is a "call list" of charities who will send out a team to salvage the meat, which finds its way to local soup kitchens and food pantries. When I lived back East, I could not believe the wanton waste of good game meat, dozens of dead deer on the roadsides, just rotting. Unbelievable.

:( When I lived in Alaska, I was in a car late at night that went around a curve and hit a moose. Killed it. It haunted me for so long. The police called one responsible to salvage, and feed others.

Glad you survived. Hitting a moose is no small matter and many people die. Moose are BIG! What surprises me is how many get hit, even as big as they are, they are also fast. At least their lives aren't wasted, like the poor deer back East.

I know. :( It did total the car. I think this was a young one too.

So....all is well in KatLand? No loose patio table covers or trashcans walking a foot or two? :lol:

Yes. We protected what we needed to, and then the winds and rain came. Now it's gone, but for it feeling like a sauna outside.......but even that is better.
Thanks for asking.

It's 8 am I Just woke up, waiting for the coffee and outside it's 53 degrees and 35% humidity. I'm feeling sticky with 35% humidity.......... :lol:

Is 87° here now, with 69° humidity.

I know. :( It did total the car. I think this was a young one too.
When I first came to Alaska in the Army, one of the training videos they showed us was an old VW bug hitting a moose, the moose falling into the front of the car and thrashing the occupants - to death. I have since seen, read, and heard about incidents where moose took on full-sized pickups and managed to do the same thing. But they move very quickly, are dark-colored, and autos travel even faster. You have to stay aware that they are sharing Alaska with us, but it still happens, and sad it is, indeed.

Thanks for asking.

When we lived in Northern Virginia that would have been low with static electricity beginning to become prevelant and we would have opened the house up to such comfortable weather. At 35% we would have been complaining about how dry it was and looking to take Vaseline baths to hold the moisture in. Now that we've lived out west since 2012 we've acclimated to the point where we start feeling it when humidity hits 15%. :lol:

Thanks for asking.

61 degrees f here going up to 65 today - 23% humidity - sunny and skies so blue they hurt the eyes to look directly at them. Not that I brag on our New Mexico October weather (cough.)

Thanks for asking.

61 degrees f here going up to 65 today - 23% humidity - sunny and skies so blue they hurt the eyes to look directly at them. Not that I brag on our New Mexico October weather (cough.)

LOL Smarty pants!!

(I still love my beach!)

Happy Friday!! I hope everyone has a great weekend.:) Tomorrow we'll be driving out to visit with WQ's family, and then out for some yummy seafood on the waterfront.:thup:

patio-at-harborside-restaurant.jpg

Hope Nate doesn't veer too far east and ruin your weekend. However it looks more like Kat and Ernie S. could be in the bullseye of this one.
It's raining pretty heavily here and winds are on and off to maybe 35 MPH. From NOAA's last advisory, landfall should be about midnight at the Mississippi/Lousiana border. We can expect winds about 60 MPH here in Foley. Really no big deal for an area that has survived 140 MPH winds.

It was fun! NOT!!
Sum total of the damage here was the garbage can fell over and the table cloth on the table in the gazebo was messed up. I spent about a half hour sitting out there watching the storm. I considered having a cigar, but the wind was blowing a bit of rain about. The worst part of the storm was the TV stations predicting ultimate doom in order to keep you glued to your idiot box.

Every OS has its quirks and problems. :(

Hmm, laptop not loading from USB sounds like newer USB/older laptop.

The USB device isn't new, it's just the newest version of Mint I put on it. The laptop is pretty old.

Ooo ooo.. I know what it is. It's a UEFI thing.

All the newer Linuxes are like that. No UEFI MB support=No newer Linux.
When I installed on this laptop, I had to set some switches to get it to boot up. Nomodprobe, I believe it was. Kubunto loaded and seemed to find everything so I installed. first boot was flawless.

My staff was instructed to listen to the pneumatic nailers. Three pops and they knew the shingles were being installed improperly. Code enforcement says an asphalt tab shingle must be installed by four nails.

I was busy that summer chasing down licensure for fifteen out of town contractors. Some of these leaches were nothing more than a guy with a pickup truck and an extension ladder. Others were more professional in appearance brandishing business cards with 800 numbers and no address. A few of them showed up en mass with trucks decorated with shrink wrap logos and embroidered polo shirts, but no contractor's license!

My husband being a career all-risk insurance adjuster ran into that all the time. He would arrive in a disaster area to supervise a team of storm adjusters and go toe to toe with the unscrupulous public adjusters, lawyers, and unlicensed contractors who would be out in force. That shouldn't be the responsibility of the honest adjusters, but it became that just the same as they not only assessed the real damage, but helped home owners and insurance companies alike from not getting ripped off.

I feel a loss when any animal dies. Years ago, I was returning from a job driving a truck with a crane mounted to it. It was dark and a deer ran out in front of me. I hit the brakes, but it would have been foolhardy to try swerving. The deer died on impact. I actually used the crane to lift the deer onto the bed of the truck and took the deer home and dressed it out and eventually ate it. All living things eventually die. Some just rot and go to waste and some sustain more life. I believe the latter is more moral than the former.

Happy Friday!! I hope everyone has a great weekend.:) Tomorrow we'll be driving out to visit with WQ's family, and then out for some yummy seafood on the waterfront.:thup:

patio-at-harborside-restaurant.jpg

Hope Nate doesn't veer too far east and ruin your weekend. However it looks more like Kat and Ernie S. could be in the bullseye of this one.
It's raining pretty heavily here and winds are on and off to maybe 35 MPH. From NOAA's last advisory, landfall should be about midnight at the Mississippi/Lousiana border. We can expect winds about 60 MPH here in Foley. Really no big deal for an area that has survived 140 MPH winds.

It was fun! NOT!!
Sum total of the damage here was the garbage can fell over and the table cloth on the table in the gazebo was messed up. I spent about a half hour sitting out there watching the storm. I considered having a cigar, but the wind was blowing a bit of rain about. The worst part of the storm was the TV stations predicting ultimate doom in order to keep you glued to your idiot box.

And that too is just plain wrong because when they cry 'wolf' so loudly when there really isn't one, the people are far more likely to be complacent and shrug off the truly serious warnings when they come.

I feel a loss when any animal dies. Years ago, I was returning from a job driving a truck with a crane mounted to it. It was dark and a deer ran out in front of me. I hit the brakes, but it would have been foolhardy to try swerving. The deer died on impact. I actually used the crane to lift the deer onto the bed of the truck and took the deer home and dressed it out and eventually ate it. All living things eventually die. Some just rot and go to waste and some sustain more life. I believe the latter is more moral than the former.

In some states that would net you a huge fine or even jail time though. At least in Kansas people could request the fresh road kill and, if there happened to be somebody around with authority to give the permission, the State would allow them to have it. But it was highly inadvisable not to get that permission. And I agree with you that it is a shame, even immoral at times, when so much beneficial protein is wasted when there are people who would and could use it.

LOL Smarty pants!!

(I still love my beach!)

And if I lived there, I would learn to love it too. :)

Forum List

Back