USMB Coffee Shop IV

Happy Friday!! I hope everyone has a great weekend.:) Tomorrow we'll be driving out to visit with WQ's family, and then out for some yummy seafood on the waterfront.:thup:

patio-at-harborside-restaurant.jpg

Hope Nate doesn't veer too far east and ruin your weekend. However it looks more like Kat and Ernie S. could be in the bullseye of this one.
It's raining pretty heavily here and winds are on and off to maybe 35 MPH. From NOAA's last advisory, landfall should be about midnight at the Mississippi/Lousiana border. We can expect winds about 60 MPH here in Foley. Really no big deal for an area that has survived 140 MPH winds.

It was fun! NOT!!
Sum total of the damage here was the garbage can fell over and the table cloth on the table in the gazebo was messed up. I spent about a half hour sitting out there watching the storm. I considered having a cigar, but the wind was blowing a bit of rain about. The worst part of the storm was the TV stations predicting ultimate doom in order to keep you glued to your idiot box.

And that too is just plain wrong because when they cry 'wolf' so loudly when there really isn't one, the people are far more likely to be complacent and shrug off the truly serious warnings when they come.
A friend's boss bought into the hype and just had to get from Bay Minette to his place in Bon Secure to rescue his horse. He was drunk. He stopped for some reason, at a boat launch. let his dog out of the van to do its business, got it back in the vehicle and promptly drove off the ramp into the river. He got out, but the dog was not as lucky.
My friend stopped by Doc's yesterday for a big trash bag and retrieved the dog from impound and buried it. Van full of tools, probably totaled, dead dog and he's in jail. He's usually a sensible guy and knows not to drive when he's had a few, but I guess the hype took his logic.

Yes. We protected what we needed to, and then the winds and rain came. Now it's gone, but for it feeling like a sauna outside.......but even that is better.
Thanks for asking.
I would rather not go through that again, but probably will.
Move to the desert southwest, rain? Humidity? What are those........

:D

Humidity keeps the skin from aging. Your dryness ages it. :funnyface:
It's 8 am I Just woke up, waiting for the coffee and outside it's 53 degrees and 35% humidity. I'm feeling sticky with 35% humidity.......... :lol:

Is 87° here now, with 69° humidity.

61 degrees f here going up to 65 today - 23% humidity - sunny and skies so blue they hurt the eyes to look directly at them. Not that I brag on our New Mexico October weather (cough.)
With the wind up today and the lower temps the house is not warming up as usual. The wife has sweats and a henley with socks, I'm wearing shorts, socks a t-shirt and a light fleece jacket inside....... Just checked the inside temp and it's reading 67 degrees....... Feels like 57 degrees........ Hell we're still acclimated to El Paso temps. :eek-52:

Hope Nate doesn't veer too far east and ruin your weekend. However it looks more like Kat and Ernie S. could be in the bullseye of this one.
It's raining pretty heavily here and winds are on and off to maybe 35 MPH. From NOAA's last advisory, landfall should be about midnight at the Mississippi/Lousiana border. We can expect winds about 60 MPH here in Foley. Really no big deal for an area that has survived 140 MPH winds.

It was fun! NOT!!
Sum total of the damage here was the garbage can fell over and the table cloth on the table in the gazebo was messed up. I spent about a half hour sitting out there watching the storm. I considered having a cigar, but the wind was blowing a bit of rain about. The worst part of the storm was the TV stations predicting ultimate doom in order to keep you glued to your idiot box.

And that too is just plain wrong because when they cry 'wolf' so loudly when there really isn't one, the people are far more likely to be complacent and shrug off the truly serious warnings when they come.
A friend's boss bought into the hype and just had to get from Bay Minette to his place in Bon Secure to rescue his horse. He was drunk. He stopped for some reason, at a boat launch. let his dog out of the van to do its business, got it back in the vehicle and promptly drove off the ramp into the river. He got out, but the dog was not as lucky.
My friend stopped by Doc's yesterday for a big trash bag and retrieved the dog from impound and buried it. Van full of tools, probably totaled, dead dog and he's in jail. He's usually a sensible guy and knows not to drive when he's had a few, but I guess the hype took his logic.

:( Sad story.

It's 8 am I Just woke up, waiting for the coffee and outside it's 53 degrees and 35% humidity. I'm feeling sticky with 35% humidity.......... :lol:

61 degrees f here going up to 65 today - 23% humidity - sunny and skies so blue they hurt the eyes to look directly at them. Not that I brag on our New Mexico October weather (cough.)
With the wind up today and the lower temps the house is not warming up as usual. The wife has sweats and a henley with socks, I'm wearing shorts, socks a t-shirt and a light fleece jacket inside....... Just checked the inside temp and it's reading 67 degrees....... Feels like 57 degrees........ Hell we're still acclimated to El Paso temps. :eek-52:

Do you not have heat in your house? If you need a changeover I know a great guy to recommend.

Do you not have heat in your house? If you need a changeover I know a great guy to recommend.
Yes we have heat but it's electric not gas so no changeover is needed. We just won't use the heat until we absolutely have to which gives us some time to become slightly more acclimated to the colder temps.

Yes we have heat but it's electric not gas so no changeover is needed. We just won't use the heat until we absolutely have to which gives us some time to become slightly more acclimated to the colder temps.

That works too. We have small energy efficient electric heaters that we use to knock the chill off the areas where we are so that we don't have to use the furnace that heats the whole house so much.

That works too. We have small energy efficient electric heaters that we use to knock the chill off the areas where we are so that we don't have to use the furnace that heats the whole house so much.
Well it's supposed to get down in the 30s tonight so the heat most likely will get fired up.......... :D

Well it's supposed to get down in the 30s tonight so the heat most likely will get fired up.......... :D

Yes. If the wind lays there are some areas that could get their first freezing temps tonight. Not as likely if the wind keeps blowing all night.

I haven't heard anything about Chico OR Paradise. Last I heard it was Sonoma and parts of San Jose.

:( (yes, all true)
OK, dead horse beaten enough.
It's been a nice day here with sunshine. We've had so much rain this year and it's been miserable. Not nearly as bad as so many unfortunate places, though. I did get everything coming to Willow out of the garage. That was a major milestone. Next week, I'll make the biggest leap of all by moving my "house" of 10 years up here. I'll winterize and park it and in the Spring I'll begin major "renovations" prior to selling it.
This is a particularly quiet, peaceful time of year out here. Summer recreation is done, hunting season is passed, and with no snow yet, the winter recreationists have not yet invaded with their noisy machines. I love my little patch of this planet!
I hope things are going well for you, Kat...and the rest of you all, too. Too much grief and sorrow are not good for us.

Evacuations ordered for 75-acre fire near Paradise

Well...I haven't heard any alarms or fire trucks. Maybe cuz we are upper Paradise near Magalia. The evacuations are lower Paradise. Thanks for the info, though. First I have heard of it. Housemate went to Chico for his weekly shopping trip, so he hadn't heard anything either.
Thanks for the update, Gracie. I was going to mention I'd heard about the fires and wondered how you all were faring.

I see now. Its called Honey Fire down on Neal Rd.

15116009_G.jpeg

That is wayyyy down south from us. Heck, I have not see such flat acreage in months. All I see is towering trees everywhere. I was serious when I said this is nothing but a forest with a town plopped in the middle of it.:lol:

Yes. We protected what we needed to, and then the winds and rain came. Now it's gone, but for it feeling like a sauna outside.......but even that is better.
Thanks for asking.
I would rather not go through that again, but probably will.

That seems heavenly! It's been holding in low 50s during the day but falling to mid- to low-40s at night. Still not freezing, though. (I hope I didn't jinx us!)

Forum List

Back