USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good news from Mr. P's primary physician yesterday and good news from his skin wound Doc. this morning. Both say he is doing really good. Best of all, his MS is in remission for right now. :)
Mr. P just took off for a ride on his can am while the weather is still good.
Next week is suppose to get cold again.

Good news from Mr. P's primary physician yesterday and good news from his skin wound Doc. this morning. Both say he is doing really good. Best of all, his MS is in remission for right now. :)
Mr. P just took off for a ride on his can am while the weather is still good.
Next week is suppose to get cold again.

I'm glad to hear he is doing so well. My mom hasn't had an MS attack in a long time. She still has her annoying every day symptoms but nothing to keep her from being active. Thankfully.

So this morning I get off the bus and some idiot decides to blow himself up in the bus terminal. I was never in any real danger. I was in the same building but about half a block away. I heard the explosion and saw a few hundred people come running in my direction screaming bomb, and active shooter. the guy did more damage to himself than anyone else fortunately

It was a bus terminal? I thought it was the subway system? I guess I didn't understand what the port terminal was. Happy you weren't near the guy though I guess the few injuries he caused others were fairly minor--the worst he did to himself if the media got it right.

yes, the subway tunnel leads into the port authority. it is both a bus terminal and subway hub. turns out the only real injury was to himself. the other people just had ringing in the ears from the explosion

Spoonman .. Hello old Pal... :beer:
Lumpy, how the heck are you

I'm fine, a few things to whine about here and there but keeping my smile mostly. Your disappearance was noticed old friend, a definite dip in fun, laughter and the good stuff around here.
you know what happens, you get distracted and going in another direction. after a week or two the other path becomes your norm and you aren't even thinking about posting. then one day it hits you and you're like, man it's been awhile since I checked out this place

It was a bus terminal? I thought it was the subway system? I guess I didn't understand what the port terminal was. Happy you weren't near the guy though I guess the few injuries he caused others were fairly minor--the worst he did to himself if the media got it right.

yes, the subway tunnel leads into the port authority. it is both a bus terminal and subway hub. turns out the only real injury was to himself. the other people just had ringing in the ears from the explosion

Spoonman .. Hello old Pal... :beer:
Lumpy, how the heck are you

I'm fine, a few things to whine about here and there but keeping my smile mostly. Your disappearance was noticed old friend, a definite dip in fun, laughter and the good stuff around here.
you know what happens, you get distracted and going in another direction. after a week or two the other path becomes your norm and you aren't even thinking about posting. then one day it hits you and you're like, man it's been awhile since I checked out this place

It sure happens. But we're sure happy you chose to check in this week. :)

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
ricechickie for impending surgery,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

fa6c38c06252104e76c3f7ab9dec3bc9.jpg

I hope everyone has a safe New Years. I plan to stay home watch movies and have the family to hang out with.

And these days we choose to ring in the New Year with the New Yorkers and be sound asleep soon afterwards. (We are on Mountain time here.)

We have just a handful of hours left in this year. Every New Year we anticipate the coming year with a mix of optimism and trepidation. And every year unspools itself in its own way. Sometimes our optimism is rewarded and, unfortunately our trepidation seems well placed.

The new year is born in the dead of winter when our skies are the darkest. Once we have finally gotten used to writing 2018 on checks and the like, the Spring and warmth and light is just around the corner. The holidays are a welcome distraction this time of year. But January brings with it the hard facts of winter. We just have to muddle through the next eight weeks until finally the daffodils pop up and we can think about easier gas bills and getting the window screens out of the garage.

Meanwhile I've been watching Daisy the Mutt punctuate the snow on the North Lawn with little black commas and yellow exclamation points. It's her way of shaking her paws in frustration at the scourge of deep winter.

Mom is getting more fearful of venturing out in the cold and dark. I drop by every day and offer to get her errands run, buying two quarts of milk and a loaf of bread. There are plenty of her neighbors who offer to clear her driveway and sidewalks at the Big House, but she sees dangers in the winter that the rest of us ignore.

Her New Year's Day celebrations include watching the Rose Parade from sunny Pasadena then stinking up the house with the aroma of sauerkraut and pork. Mom does not share the family Scottish heritage. She married into it. Something we are thankful for because she never offered up a steaming haggis for dinner. For that delicacy we had to go to Grandpa's.

As for me, New Year's Day will dawn as any other January day dawns. I'll watch some college football, order a pizza and brace myself for the coming 364 days until we do it all over again.

Happy New Year, Coffee Shoppers! And may the joys of the coming year be outnumbered only by the number of years we will see in the future.

Last edited:
When 2017 dies tonight I will drive a wooden stake into its heart, shoot it with a silver bullet in the head and bury it an extra three feet underground.

When 2017 dies tonight I will drive a wooden stake into its heart, shoot it with a silver bullet in the head and bury it an extra three feet underground.

2017 has not been a really tough year for us, but it sure has been for many of us who can share your sentiment there. By the way are you on the job yet? Or have a definite starting date?

2017 has not been a really tough year for us, but it sure has been for many of us who can share your sentiment there. By the way are you on the job yet? Or have a definite starting date?

Got my first check Friday. On January 12th I have a test that determines if I stay longer. Tests seem a bit more daunting later in life. Plus it is five hours a day of driving for a week long class. Not a lot of study time available.

Got my first check Friday. On January 12th I have a test that determines if I stay longer. Tests seem a bit more daunting later in life. Plus it is five hours a day of driving for a week long class. Not a lot of study time available.

If you have a laptop or other useful tools for study, maybe it would be worth your while to spring for a modestly priced motel room in the city where the classes are? Or buy a recorder to record the lectures/teaching sessions and listen while driving. . .or. . .?

And you are up there in the deep freeze. Do have all the proper emergency survival stuff with you on the road please. We're rather fond of you you know.

Forum List

Back