USMB Coffee Shop IV

The wife's been craving carrot cake so I finally found a recipe I like and made one from scratch. Not bad considering I cut the sugar in both the cake and the cream cheese frosting. It came out better than I hoped considering I'm not much of a baker.
Carrot cakes are relatively easy considering you don't have to worry about them falling, like regular cakes. Properly made, they are moist and heavy, and delicious. I've long cut the sugar requirements in half and haven't noticed much difference in the flavor. You have now graduated to being the chief cook, bottle washer, and baker!

I went to the ER from work tonight. I'd had a few episodes of pretty severe abdominal pain, and some blood in my urine. I have a kidney stone, yay me! I have prescriptions to pick up for it, which I plan to do after my appointment at the dentist tomorrow for my next crown. Oh, and I also chipped a tooth at work on Monday. I guess 45 is my age to start really feeling my age. :lol:
Good that you went to get it checked out. I hope you get better soon.

Apparently these inflatable trousers are becoming quite the conversation in the fashion world. Now honestly, would you wear these????

f6370a90-58a2-11ea-bead-187519ff89bb
Uhmmm, NO! After all the years of "do these slacks make my legs look fat?" I'm sure the hens just flock to these roosters. You'd think they'd think of better places to inflate, wouldn't you?

I’m in a “Wetherspoon” Chain pub just chilling, free wi fi, 600 yards from my hotel, it’s quiet. Just chatted to the pub manager about the ale, he has 8 guest ales, apparently I chose his favourite and I’m now on my second pint of it.
It’s a dark ale, it’s very good from now on I’ll only order it every time.
There are a few young people here, it’s a no frills boozer, no TVs no music, just cheap bar food and of course ale. This ale cost £1.99
restaurants 28412
I’m in a “Wetherspoon” Chain pub just chilling, free wi fi, 600 yards from my hotel, it’s quiet. Just chatted to the pub manager about the ale, he has 8 guest ales, apparently I chose his favourite and I’m now on my second pint of it.
It’s a dark ale, it’s very good from now on I’ll only order it every time.
There are a few young people here, it’s a no frills boozer, no TVs no music, just cheap bar food and of course ale. This ale cost £1.99
restaurants 28412
My, oh, my, that does look good! Of the things I miss about Europe (I lived in Germany) are: cheese, bread, and BEER! Now, I make cheese and bread myself, although they do not compare to those wonderful dark breads (sourdough), but the beer has been superseded by my homemade mead. Still miss some of the eats in Europe, though. I wonder whether they have modernized to the point that such locally made goods are no longer available?

Just finished watching HUNTERS on amazon. Took 4 or 5 episodes but it got me good. Great flick.

I was curious about that. The description I read sounded interesting, but the trailer didn't seem to match it.
Give it a try. But hang in with it. It will take 4 episodes for you to get the "gist" of what its about. Its very good. Very well made. And fooled me at the end. Which is rare.
Have you had a chance to review "The Man in the High Castle"?

In the states, our school grading system used to be A, B, C, D and F....A was for the best with the least amount of errors, B was pretty good with maybe a few errors, C was for average, D was below average work and F meant failure. So in this joke the F for sex, meant the mom failed at it.

They normally don't use that same grading system in favor of a numbering system nowadays

The wife's been craving carrot cake so I finally found a recipe I like and made one from scratch. Not bad considering I cut the sugar in both the cake and the cream cheese frosting. It came out better than I hoped considering I'm not much of a baker.
Carrot cakes are relatively easy considering you don't have to worry about them falling, like regular cakes. Properly made, they are moist and heavy, and delicious. I've long cut the sugar requirements in half and haven't noticed much difference in the flavor. You have now graduated to being the chief cook, bottle washer, and baker!
Carrot juice is the best. I have been buying a small bottle of carrot juice (Boldhouse makes it) and it really tastes good, only ingredient is carrots, so you have to drink it right away. Carrot cake sounds nice, even without the sugar, because carrots are sweet. I just cooked up a huge batch of blueberries that got hidden behind the turkey last year and cooked it up in the microwave. You can still taste the flavonoids. Thank heaven for freezers. There are more than enough berries left in the bowl to make 2 pies. Or, the berries could go on cereal rather than bananas, and no worries about diabetes. I have to say, the cup of blueberry juice is better than coffee. It would be expensive coffee, though, for something made at home. I'm going to look up the benefits of blueberries. :brb9:

OK, Here's the nutrient base part:
Blueberries Nutrition
Nutrition Facts
Blueberries, raw
Serving Size :
Nutrient
Value
Water [g] 84.21
Energy [kcal] 57
Energy [kJ] 240
Protein [g] 0.74
Total lipid (fat) [g] 0.33
Ash [g] 0.24
Carbohydrate, by difference [g] 14.49
Fiber, total dietary [g] 2.4
Sugars, total including NLEA [g] 9.96
Sucrose [g] 0.11
Glucose (dextrose) [g] 4.88
Fructose [g] 4.97
Starch [g] 0.03
Calcium, Ca [mg] 6
Iron, Fe [mg] 0.28
Magnesium, Mg [mg] 6
Phosphorus, P [mg] 12
Potassium, K [mg] 77
Sodium, Na [mg] 1
Zinc, Zn [mg] 0.16
Copper, Cu [mg] 0.06
Manganese, Mn [mg] 0.34
Selenium, Se [µg] 0.1
Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid [mg] 9.7
Thiamin [mg] 0.04
Riboflavin [mg] 0.04
Niacin [mg] 0.42
Pantothenic acid [mg] 0.12
Vitamin B-6 [mg] 0.05
Folate, total [µg] 6
Folate, food [µg] 6
Folate, DFE [µg] 6
Choline, total [mg] 6
Betaine [mg] 0.2
Vitamin A, RAE [µg] 3
Carotene, beta [µg] 32
Vitamin A, IU [IU] 54
Lutein + zeaxanthin [µg] 80
Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) [mg] 0.57
Tocopherol, beta [mg] 0.01
Tocopherol, gamma [mg] 0.36
Tocopherol, delta [mg] 0.03
Tocotrienol, gamma [mg] 0.07
Vitamin K (phylloquinone) [µg] 19.3
Fatty acids, total saturated [g] 0.03
16:0 [g] 0.02
18:0 [g] 0.01
Fatty acids, total monounsaturated [g] 0.05
16:1 [g] 0
18:1 [g] 0.05
Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated [g] 0.15
18:2 [g] 0.09
18:3 [g] 0.06
Tryptophan [g] 0
Threonine [g] 0.02
Isoleucine [g] 0.02
Leucine [g] 0.04
Lysine [g] 0.01
Methionine [g] 0.01
Cystine [g] 0.01
Phenylalanine [g] 0.03
Tyrosine [g] 0.01
Valine [g] 0.03
Arginine [g] 0.04
Histidine [g] 0.01
Alanine [g] 0.03
Aspartic acid [g] 0.06
Glutamic acid [g] 0.09
Glycine [g] 0.03
Proline [g] 0.03
Serine [g] 0.02
Sources include : USDA [1]
Blueberries are nutrient-dense, low in calories, and high in fiber. According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, the berries are a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, potassium, copper, and manganese. [1] They are low in carbohydrates and sodium and have high water content.

They are also abundant in antioxidants, especially anthocyanins, responsible for their deep blue color and powerful health benefits. Blueberries, as compared with many of the other foods, have one of the highest amounts of antioxidants.

Wow. Adam and Eve gave up blueberries to eat an apple? *sigh*

Carrot juice is the best. I have been buying a small bottle of carrot juice (Boldhouse makes it) and it really tastes good, only ingredient is carrots, so you have to drink it right away. Carrot cake sounds nice, even without the sugar, because carrots are sweet. I just cooked up a huge batch of blueberries that got hidden behind the turkey last year and cooked it up in the microwave. You can still taste the flavonoids. Thank heaven for freezers. There are more than enough berries left in the bowl to make 2 pies. Or, the berries could go on cereal rather than bananas, and no worries about diabetes. I have to say, the cup of blueberry juice is better than coffee. It would be expensive coffee, though, for something made at home. I'm going to look up the benefits of blueberries. :brb9:
Blueberries are considered a superfood.
10 Proven Health Benefits of Blueberries

Now, for the 20 evidence-based health benefits from the same page as above: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-blueberries.html
Strengthen Bones
Blueberries are rich in calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, and vitamin K; these nutrients, in tandem with exercise and an overall healthy diet, are key for bone health.
Skin Care
Anthocyanins in blueberries assist in fighting oxidative DNA damage, while the abundance of vitamin C is a big factor in building collagen. This is why regular consumption of blueberries may help reduce signs of aging, such as wrinkles, age spots, and acne.
Soothe Inflammation
The antioxidants in blueberries have anti-inflammatory properties reducing the activity of markers of inflammation. [15] [16] These antioxidants may help in preventing chronic inflammatory diseases. [17]
Treat Urinary Tract Infections
Similarly to how cranberries and cranberry juice are known for alleviating UTI, blueberries may, too. Both are known to have certain antibiotic properties and compounds that prevent bacteria from sticking to the bladder walls. [20]
Increase Lifespan
Polyphenols and resveratrol found in blueberries help long been thought to increase longevity and decrease the adverse effects linked with aging. [30] [33] [32] [31] Of course, these compounds are only beneficial if combined with exercise and a healthy lifestyle.
There are 15 more, I just picked the ones I liked. You might like the anti-cancer information I omitted. Eat the 10 top cancer-fighting foods every week, and you probably will kick cancer and shrink existing tumors if the other 9 are as good as blueberries, but target different cancers. If someone you love has cancer, you might look up pumpkins and citrus foods, too. Some are better fighters than others.
I'm going to lunch on celery, if I can hold any after drinking the blueberry liquer. (it hasn't turned, however. The freezer fixes that.)
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-blueberries.html
I rejoined the local gymnastics center Friday. I'm a little sore but it's a good sore, and a nap would help reduce the pain a little.

Have a great week, everyone!

Now, for the 20 evidence-based health benefits from the same page as above: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-blueberries.html
Strengthen Bones
Blueberries are rich in calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, and vitamin K; these nutrients, in tandem with exercise and an overall healthy diet, are key for bone health.
Skin Care
Anthocyanins in blueberries assist in fighting oxidative DNA damage, while the abundance of vitamin C is a big factor in building collagen. This is why regular consumption of blueberries may help reduce signs of aging, such as wrinkles, age spots, and acne.
Soothe Inflammation
The antioxidants in blueberries have anti-inflammatory properties reducing the activity of markers of inflammation. [15] [16] These antioxidants may help in preventing chronic inflammatory diseases. [17]
Similarly to how cranberries and cranberry juice are known for alleviating UTI, blueberries may, too. Both are known to have certain antibiotic properties and compounds that prevent bacteria from sticking to the bladder walls. [20]
Increase Lifespan
Polyphenols and resveratrol found in blueberries help long been thought to increase longevity and decrease the adverse effects linked with aging. [30] [33] [32] [31] Of course, these compounds are only beneficial if combined with exercise and a healthy lifestyle.
There are 15 more, I just picked the ones I liked. You might like the anti-cancer information I omitted. Eat the 10 top cancer-fighting foods every week, and you probably will kick cancer and shrink existing tumors if the other 9 are as good as blueberries, but target different cancers. If someone you love has cancer, you might look up pumpkins and citrus foods, too. Some are better fighters than others.
I'm going to lunch on celery, if I can hold any after drinking the blueberry liquer. (it hasn't turned, however. The freezer fixes that.)
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-blueberries.html
Yup, even raspberries and blackberries are loaded with massive benefits pretty much equal to blueberries. I think raspberries have the highest fiber content of all berries.

Strengthen Bones
Skin Care
Soothe Inflammation
Increase Lifespan
Yup, even raspberries and blackberries are loaded with massive benefits pretty much equal to blueberries. I think raspberries have the highest fiber content of all berries.
Oh, gosh. raspberries are so good.

Forum List

Back