USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've been so busy on the phone, on Facebook, etc. I don't think I ever posted in here.

On June 16 our car was stolen--a 2016 Subaru Legacy in excellent condition, meticulously maintained, and a little over 20k miles on it. A call to the police, a few minutes with a police officer, reported to USAA (our insurance company) and the garage door people were out to reprogram the garage door and provide new remotes for it. USAA provided a rental car for 20 days at which time, if the car wasn't found, they would pay us fair market value for it. The 20 days would have been up next Tuesday. Not all that much hassle. Easy peasy.

Yesterday morning the police called. They found the car, apparently abandoned, but it had drug paraphenalia in it, two flat tires. front end collision damage, and the tag on it wasn't ours but was from another stolen car. We have been hours and hours and hours dealing with police, insurance company, towing companies, body shops etc. We still haven't seen the car and probably won't until sometime next week.

A drug test will be run and if there is any drug residue other than pot, they'll likely total it. Hombre hopes it can be repaired and we can keep it as we will never find another car of that year model in such good shape with such low mileage.

I honestly hope it is totaled. I can't imagine ever driving it again without being creeped out. Who was in it? What happened with it? If they wind up repairing it, I hope I'm wrong about that.

One thing we've learned from all this is that it is a lot less hassle having a car stolen than it is finding it. :)
Prayers up, Foxfyre. Someone invaded your home, took a prized posession, trashed it, and then discarded it. Nobody deserves what you and Hombre went through on account of human meanness.
That's the thing, Beautress. They somehow got our garage door open and somehow managed to start the car and take it while we were home and sleeping. Even went through an old filing cabinet in the garage probably looking for the title to the car. We keep that in a lock box in the house--NEVER carry the title to your car in your car.

During my adjuster years, and helping Hombre in his adjusting career, I sat with many homeowners and renters helping them determine their losses and reconstruct their lives after a burglary. The one thing I couldn't do is give them back their feeling of security and peace of mind. That is the most cruel thing the thieves take. Some experience a kind of PTSD and have to move to regain any sense of normalcy.

That's kind of the way I feel about the car now. I don't know whether I will get over it. We'll see what happens.

Got my 15yr service packet from work. It is the longest stint of employment with the same employer in my career spanning almost 40 yrs. During that time I worked for 8 different carriers from a family operation to 2 nationals. All that remains is the family op and the current national I'm with. Despite the frustration and the temporary financial difficulty of starting over that often the thought of changing careers was never a question. I like it and I'm damn good at it.
Something else occurs to me about this. My father and his brothers all worked for the same employer for most of their life, none of us has been able to do that save my little brother who has his own sheet rocking business

I've been so busy on the phone, on Facebook, etc. I don't think I ever posted in here.

On June 16 our car was stolen--a 2016 Subaru Legacy in excellent condition, meticulously maintained, and a little over 20k miles on it. A call to the police, a few minutes with a police officer, reported to USAA (our insurance company) and the garage door people were out to reprogram the garage door and provide new remotes for it. USAA provided a rental car for 20 days at which time, if the car wasn't found, they would pay us fair market value for it. The 20 days would have been up next Tuesday. Not all that much hassle. Easy peasy.

Yesterday morning the police called. They found the car, apparently abandoned, but it had drug paraphenalia in it, two flat tires. front end collision damage, and the tag on it wasn't ours but was from another stolen car. We have been hours and hours and hours dealing with police, insurance company, towing companies, body shops etc. We still haven't seen the car and probably won't until sometime next week.

A drug test will be run and if there is any drug residue other than pot, they'll likely total it. Hombre hopes it can be repaired and we can keep it as we will never find another car of that year model in such good shape with such low mileage.

I honestly hope it is totaled. I can't imagine ever driving it again without being creeped out. Who was in it? What happened with it? If they wind up repairing it, I hope I'm wrong about that.

One thing we've learned from all this is that it is a lot less hassle having a car stolen than it is finding it. :)
Prayers up, Foxfyre. Someone invaded your home, took a prized posession, trashed it, and then discarded it. Nobody deserves what you and Hombre went through on account of human meanness.
That's the thing, Beautress. They somehow got our garage door open and somehow managed to start the car and take it while we were home and sleeping. Even went through an old filing cabinet in the garage probably looking for the title to the car. We keep that in a lock box in the house--NEVER carry the title to your car in your car.

During my adjuster years, and helping Hombre in his adjusting career, I sat with many homeowners and renters helping them determine their losses and reconstruct their lives after a burglary. The one thing I couldn't do is give them back their feeling of security and peace of mind. That is the most cruel thing the thieves take. Some experience a kind of PTSD and have to move to regain any sense of normalcy.

That's kind of the way I feel about the car now. I don't know whether I will get over it. We'll see what happens.
In or around 2005, I woke up in the middle of the night, and there was someone going over the items on my dresser. I was afraid if I woke my husband up, he might have a heart attack, and my heart was beating so loud I figure it didn"t matter anyway, so in as controlled a voice as I could muster, I said, "Please leave." The home invader stopped what he or she was doing, and tiptoed around the foot of our bed and walked out of our bedroom. Trying to hear over the pounding of my heart, I heard some noises and seconds later heard two sets of footsteps going down the staircase. Then the front door opened and was shut. I remained in place for a few more minutes, then gently woke up my husband. He couldn't believe someone would do that, but he knew I always told the truth. I went to the telephone, but it was dead. That really worried me, so I went next door at 2 or 3 am, and my friends let me use their phone to call the police, who came to talk to us 20 minutes later. While they were there, an unfamiliar truck drove right past our front yard. The police ignored it. They found two six packs next to the fence that we didn't put there since we never had alcohol in our home, not ever. They said they figured the pair had plans to go through several houses and were likely juveniles.

I don't care who they were, and I was afraid at night for a couple of years since my husband was required to travel the state of Wyoming to company offices in almost all the cities in the state. It was pure hell, but we were never troubled again by home invaders.

You eventually get over it, Foxfyre, but the first couple of months are definitely the worst. And you learn to lock all doors, the garage, and automobiles day or night.

My heart goes out to you and Hombre.
♡♡♡♡♡

In or around 2005, I woke up in the middle of the night, and there was someone going over the items on my dresser. I was afraid if I woke my husband up, he might have a heart attack, and my heart was beating so loud I figure it didn"t matter anyway, so in as controlled a voice as I could muster, I said, "Please leave." The home invader stopped what he or she was doing, and tiptoed around the foot of our bed and walked out of our bedroom. Trying to hear over the pounding of my heart, I heard some noises and seconds later heard two sets of footsteps going down the staircase. Then the front door opened and was shut. I remained in place for a few more minutes, then gently woke up my husband. He couldn't believe someone would do that, but he knew I always told the truth. I went to the telephone, but it was dead. That really worried me, so I went next door at 2 or 3 am, and my friends let me use their phone to call the police, who came to talk to us 20 minutes later. While they were there, an unfamiliar truck drove right past our front yard. The police ignored it. They found two six packs next to the fence that we didn't put there since we never had alcohol in our home, not ever. They said they figured the pair had plans to go through several houses and were likely juveniles.

I don't care who they were, and I was afraid at night for a couple of years since my husband was required to travel the state of Wyoming to company offices in almost all the cities in the state. It was pure hell, but we were never troubled again by home invaders.

You eventually get over it, Foxfyre, but the first couple of months are definitely the worst. And you learn to lock all doors, the garage, and automobiles day or night.

♡♡♡♡♡
Thanks for that my friend. We lived on the mountain for 14 years before moving into the city. The locks on our house weren't the best, we were 200 or more feet away from the nearest neighbors and our house was not visible from the neighbors. Hombre traveled a lot both for business and for the regional and national church in those days and I was home a lot. The nearest Sheriff's office was 5 miles away. We had a loud dog which I am sure was why we weren't burglarized as pretty much everybody up there, especially those without dogs, were. And I never felt really secure. For me that was the strongest reason to pull up stakes up there and move into the city where I have never been afraid.

I really am not afraid now as there is no direct access from the garage into our home. But we sure take extra care to be sure everything is locked up at night. :)

♡♡♡♡♡
Thanks for that my friend. We lived on the mountain for 14 years before moving into the city. The locks on our house weren't the best, we were 200 or more feet away from the nearest neighbors and our house was not visible from the neighbors. Hombre traveled a lot both for business and for the regional and national church in those days and I was home a lot. The nearest Sheriff's office was 5 miles away. We had a loud dog which I am sure was why we weren't burglarized as pretty much everybody up there, especially those without dogs, were. And I never felt really secure. For me that was the strongest reason to pull up stakes up there and move into the city where I have never been afraid.

I really am not afraid now as there is no direct access from the garage into our home. But we sure take extra care to be sure everything is locked up at night. :)
When I moved into the village one of the retirees told me he had no idea where his house keys were. Said he hadn't locked his door in 30 years.

Got my 15yr service packet from work. It is the longest stint of employment with the same employer in my career spanning almost 40 yrs. During that time I worked for 8 different carriers from a family operation to 2 nationals. All that remains is the family op and the current national I'm with. Despite the frustration and the temporary financial difficulty of starting over that often the thought of changing careers was never a question. I like it and I'm damn good at it.
Something else occurs to me about this. My father and his brothers all worked for the same employer for most of their life, none of us has been able to do that save my little brother who has his own sheet rocking business
Today, a lot of people prosper by changing jobs more than their parents did. We all admire someone who stayed with the same company in their career.

My military family moved frequently, so I just got a new job when it was needed later in life as my better half had a career that skyrocketed with double promotions when they needed him to bring union and management together with his people skills. Couldn't have been happier with the kind and totally thoughtful husband that he was. 44 years of bliss before he passed, leaving me with nothing but happy memories that to this day bring me the blessing of happy thoughts. I wish everyone had a spouse as special as he. He left a rare light that still glows in my heart.

♡♡♡♡♡

When I moved into the village one of the retirees told me he had no idea where his house keys were. Said he hadn't locked his door in 30 years.
I grew up like that. Nobody locked their cars. Keys were left in the ignition of cars. You could thumb tack a $10 bill on the door for the delivery guy and he would be the one to get that $10. It isn't that way most places anymore. You are truly blessed to live in a place where it still is.

My one man parade this morning.

Attachments

• 4 July 21.jpg
    4 July 21.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 17
This must be a great vacation week for everyone. After my final post op visit with my surgeon pain came back and I forgot to ask for pain pills for physical therapy. And I don't know my fiance is sincere since his only communications with me are bitter banter of my shortcomings, and he disappears for anywhere from 3 to 12 hours or more as to where he is.

There is nothing like unnecessary unhappiness and loneliness from an uncaring partner who lives down the hall with two doors closed in between. When I try to do something really nice for him he comes unglued with slurs and anger I don't understand. I feel like calling off the engagement. I can't care for this getting dumped on for 90% of his communications. After a year I am at the end of my rope. You can't make something work when the other person shows no affection for weeks on end.

Last edited:
This must be a great vacation week for everyone. After my final post op visit with my surgeon pain came back and I forgot to ask for pain pills for physical therapy. And I don't know my fiance is sincere since his only communications with me are bitter banter of my shortcomings, and he disappears for anywhere from 3 to 12 hours or more as to where he is.

There is nothing like unnecessary unhappiness and loneliness from an uncaring partner who lives down the hall with two doors closed in between. When I try to do something really nice for him he comes unglued with slurs and anger I don't understand. I feel like calling off the engagement. I can't care for this getting dumped on for 90% of his communications. After a year I am at the end of my rope. You can't make something work when the other person shows no affection for weeks on end.
So my friend, I know you've struggled with this. You are such a talented, gifted, loving, caring, intelligent person. So why is it again you're engaged to this person? I understand the not throwing him out part. But engaged? It just doesn't make sense. I can't imagine a more hellish marriage.

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but the middle of last month was the 1 year anniversary of me moving back to Florida. 3 or 4 days after that date, the state gave me an anniversary present: a summons for jury duty. :p

Hooray ! England won the football against Denmark last night, Now we have to wait for the final on Sunday.

For your entertainment here is a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers film, ' top hat'

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but the middle of last month was the 1 year anniversary of me moving back to Florida. 3 or 4 days after that date, the state gave me an anniversary present: a summons for jury duty. :p
Oh wow, lucky you. I hope you have a reasonably good experience. Jury duty is pretty nightmarish here--heavy traffic to go downtown, difficulty with parking, walking some distance in inclimate weather, and then waiting around all day but rarely being put on a jury. Especially if you're in professions like ours. :)

I don't get it, Beautress. As Foxy said..you are beautiful in soul, kind, sweet, giving, loving. Why would you even have to THINK about calling off the engagement? This guy...well....I won't say it, but it will be a HUGE mistake on your part to marry him. I'd have tossed him out long ago. I don't understand why you let him live with you, either. Is it because you don't want to be alone? Fine. MrG and I will come live with ya then, lol. You can do your quilts, I will do my clay, MrG can be the maintenance man when he isn't sawing logs (sleeping), lol.

Robbery. Y'all are way too nice. If I woke up to someone rummaging around in my bedroom, the only sound coming from me would be a gunshot. I sleep with my 38 under my pillow. The neighborhood we live in is awful, and I refuse to live in fear. Instead, I live in readiness. I'll shoot any asshole that enters my domain uninvited. Period.

Oh wow, lucky you. I hope you have a reasonably good experience. Jury duty is pretty nightmarish here--heavy traffic to go downtown, difficulty with parking, walking some distance in inclimate weather, and then waiting around all day but rarely being put on a jury. Especially if you're in professions like ours. :)

I went once while I was in Georgia, and it wasn't too bad. It was just one day and I didn't do anything but sit around, though. :D

So my friend, I know you've struggled with this. You are such a talented, gifted, loving, caring, intelligent person. So why is it again you're engaged to this person? I understand the not throwing him out part. But engaged? It just doesn't make sense. I can't imagine a more hellish marriage.
I broke off our engagement and told him if he ever had another disrespectful thing to say to me, my cooking, or my health, he will be packing his bags immediately thereafter. It won't be long.

I can deal with a broken heart.

Forum List

Back