USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hey Dajjal. Good to see you. Always happy when you drop in. :)

I did a lot of my growing up when Elvis was king, we probably have most or all of the songs he recorded either on CDs or Hombre's old 45s.--Elvis outlived the 45s actually. I like a lot/most of his music but was never a huge fan. None of the new music idols that have come on the scene since ever quite achieved the almost indescribable star status that he achieved. He truly was 'the king' of the rock n roll era.

Hey Dajjal. Good to see you. Always happy when you drop in. :)

I did a lot of my growing up when Elvis was king, we probably have most or all of the songs he recorded either on CDs or Hombre's old 45s.--Elvis outlived the 45s actually. I like a lot/most of his music but was never a huge fan. None of the new music idols that have come on the scene since ever quite achieved the almost indescribable star status that he achieved. He truly was 'the king' of the rock n roll era.

I don’t know, I think The Beatles may have outdone Elvis for star status

Elvis certainly helped tweak a generation into a rebellious booty shakin direction .. 😲
It's just that I think the huge majority of people asked to name famous musicians of the 50's 60's 70's would immediately name Elvis. The Beatles were definitely a force to be reckoned with when they arrived in America in the mid 60's and they would definitely be among those I would name, but I don't ever think of them first.

Elvis held his last concert in June 1977 and it sold out. He died two months later. You would have thought it was royalty or a President who died as the country seemed to go into the same kind of national mourning and paying tribute. And he remains an almost larger than life musical icon more than 40 years later.

The Beatles broke up in 1970--the same year as Apollo 13 broke up--and, except for John Lennon who achieved a sort of dark idol status up until his assassination in 1980, the others were never as popular again. I doubt many people remember that Lennon was assassinated or could name his songs other than "Imagine" that lived on. And most people couldn't name any of the songs recorded by the other three individual Beatles. It is easier to recall the songs they recorded as a group.

But even many in the youngest generation now know or know of a lot of Elvis songs and immediately recognize him on sight. :)

#1 officially left for college today at UNC-CH. The Mrs. is very upset, but not as upset as I was the day I had to mail that freaking check. Effing out of state tuition. It is only an hour and fifteen minutes away. It isn't like he won't be home every other weekend stealing food, doing laundry and bumming money.

It's just that I think the huge majority of people asked to name famous musicians of the 50's 60's 70's would immediately name Elvis. The Beatles were definitely a force to be reckoned with when they arrived in America in the mid 60's and they would definitely be among those I would name, but I don't ever think of them first.

Elvis held his last concert in June 1977 and it sold out. He died two months later. You would have thought it was royalty or a President who died as the country seemed to go into the same kind of national mourning and paying tribute. And he remains an almost larger than life musical icon more than 40 years later.

The Beatles broke up in 1970--the same year as Apollo 13 broke up--and, except for John Lennon who achieved a sort of dark idol status up until his assassination in 1980, the others were never as popular again. I doubt many people remember that Lennon was assassinated or could name his songs other than "Imagine" that lived on. And most people couldn't name any of the songs recorded by the other three individual Beatles. It is easier to recall the songs they recorded as a group.

But even many in the youngest generation now know or know of a lot of Elvis songs and immediately recognize him on sight. :)
The Everly Brothers enchanted me when I was young. "Dream, dream, dream, dream..." I didn't go for all that squealing on Elvis. I don't know why I felt that way, I just did. A lot of girls would squeal when they heard him on the radio. You couldn't even hear the guy sing sometimes unless you bought the records.

#1 officially left for college today at UNC-CH. The Mrs. is very upset, but not as upset as I was the day I had to mail that freaking check. Effing out of state tuition. It is only an hour and fifteen minutes away. It isn't like he won't be home every other weekend stealing food, doing laundry and bumming money.
Aw come on Dad. You dabbed a tear or two yourself when she left. Admit it. :)

Our two kids got their Bachelor degrees just 80 miles from us at a state college so it wasn't so bad. But yeah, they were home a lot on weekends so I didn't have much of an empty nest crisis.

The Everly Brothers enchanted me when I was young. "Dream, dream, dream, dream..." I didn't go for all that squealing on Elvis. I don't know why I felt that way, I just did. A lot of girls would squeal when they heard him on the radio. You couldn't even hear the guy sing sometimes unless you bought the records.
Yes, Everly Brothers are definitely among my golden oldie favorites. The Beatles, Streisand, Neal Diamond, Righteous Brothers ("Unchained Melody"). . .oh my it would be a very long list :)

And even though like you I never was a super fan of Elvis, he would still lead any golden oldie list I would make up or an all time greatest entertainer list.

That's life. My son avoided parental meddling by winning scholarship to University of Wyoming, an additional advanced study scholarship after he graduated. When that was done, he got another scholarship to North Carolina State, and graduated. He's now retired to Portugal's Mediterranean and Spain and has views of the sea and the river between the two countries. He's coming to visit soon.

Aw come on Dad. You dabbed a tear or two yourself when she left. Admit it. :)

Our two kids got their Bachelor degrees just 80 miles from us at a state college so it wasn't so bad. But yeah, they were home a lot on weekends so I didn't have much of an empty nest crisis.
It is a he and LOL not really as for me. I boo hoo'd some secretly when he went to kindergarten though. He has been going back and forth some already working some this summer in that area a few days a week. It more hit me when he started his senior year than now. #2 will probably bother me more. # 3, well I am pretty sure they will be texting me from their bedroom to bring them something to drink when I am 80 years old. That kid has zero motivation currently to move let alone ever move out.

I’m definitely a Everly Brothers fan but Elvis did make my younger life, let’s say confounding . My older brother bore a striking resemblance to Elvis though years younger and without the dreamy eye makeup.
What made it interesting was that until Mom got fed up and shoed them away, teenage girls used to sit out on the front porch waiting for my brother to walk out the front door. Alas. my Mom became quite adept at crushing egos. 😄

It is a he and LOL not really as for me. I boo hoo'd some secretly when he went to kindergarten though. He has been going back and forth some already working some this summer in that area a few days a week. It more hit me when he started his senior year than now. #2 will probably bother me more. # 3, well I am pretty sure they will be texting me from their bedroom to bring them something to drink when I am 80 years old. That kid has zero motivation currently to move let alone ever move out.
I hear you. I have one of each gender. It took our oldest, our son, seven years to get his bachelors for various reasons and lack of motivation was one of them. But he did get his mechanical engineering degree and went on to have an amazing career and avocation and is an amazing person.

His little sister, three years younger got her bachelors in three years, earned a free ride scholoarship/fellowship to Stanford where she got her masters in the next year and went on to complete her PhD and also has had an amazing career.

They're all different. And trust me on this, we are rarely able to guess how they'll turn out. :)

Happy Saturday Coffee Shop Peeps! I love this:

Interesting-vole-sleeping-in-iris-2.jpg

Forum List

Back