USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ya THINK?
:) He actually was one of the more interesting 16th/17th century philosophers and one I used to use a lot in teaching development of Christian thought. He isn't well known for his role in that, but he was important. But alas, I doubt he is even mentioned in much of modern education any more.

Last edited:
:) He actually was one of the more interesting 16th/17th century philosophers and one I used to use a lot in teaching development of Christianity. He isn't well known for his role in that, but he was important. But alas, I doubt he is even mentioned in much of modern education any more.

His proof of God's existence is rather elegant, imo.

His proof of God's existence is rather elegant, imo.
Yes. And his argument for why blind faith is trumped by logic and reason whether or not one agrees with it.

Study of the theories of all the great philosophers--Plato, Aristotle, and Descartes, et al--I think may not inform us as much as they help us to expand the range of possibilities that we can perceive, mental creativity, imagination, and ability to think critically.

For me such study helped free me from some unwise rigidity in my thinking and learn to appreciate and be tolerant of different points of view even when I strongly disagree with them. The Founders actually built such concepts into their intentions for our Constitution as they understood that only when we do not require group think or rigid positions on things can the Constitution work for all.

Yes. And his argument for why blind faith is trumped by logic and reason whether or not one agrees with it.

Study of the theories of all the great philosophers--Plato, Aristotle, and Descartes, et al--I think may not inform us as much as they help us to expand the range of possibilities that we can perceive, mental creativity, imagination, and ability to think critically.

For me such study helped free me from some unwise rigidity in my thinking and learn to appreciate and be tolerant of different points of view even when I strongly disagree with them. The Founders actually built such concepts into their intentions for our Constitution as they understood that only when we do not require group think or rigid positions on things can the Constitution work for all.

The Classical Curriculum in schools included these philosophers - our decline started when we eliminated the study of such philosophers (and history).

It's"Why" jokes time ... hope to put a smile on a face around here. There were actually some I'd never heard before.

• Why did the scarecrow win an award? Because he was outstanding in his field.
  • Why did the melon jump into the lake? It wanted to be a water-melon.
  • What did the duck say when it bought lipstick? “Put it on my bill.”
  • What do you call a pig that does karate? A pork chop.
  • What has a bed that you can’t sleep in? A river.
  • Why were the teacher’s eyes crossed? She couldn’t control her pupils.
  • What starts with E, ends with E, and has only 1 letter in it? An Envelope.
  • How does the ocean say hello? It waves.
  • What lights up a soccer stadium? A soccer match.
  • What creature is smarter than a talking parrot? A spelling bee.
  • Which U.S. state has the smallest soft drinks? Minnesota (as in, “mini-soda”).
  • Why couldn’t the leopard play hide and seek? Because he was always spotted.
  • What do you call two monkeys that share an Amazon account? Prime mates.
  • Why are teddy bears never hungry? Because they’re always stuffed!
  • Why did the tree go to the dentist? It needed a root canal.
  • If athletes get athlete’s foot, what do elves get? Mistle-toes.
  • Why couldn’t the pony sing? Because she was a little hoarse.
  • Where do cows go for entertainment? The mooooo-vies!
  • What do you call a pig that does karate? A pork chop.
  • How does NASA organize a party? They planet.
  • Why did Adele cross the road? To sing, “Hello from the other side!
  • What runs around a yard without actually moving? A fence.
  • What’s an astronaut’s favorite candy? A Mars bar.
  • Where do sheep go to get their hair cut? The baa-baa shop.
  • Why are there gates around cemeteries? Because people are dying to get in.
  • What do you get when you cross a snake with a pie? A pie-thon!
  • Why is Peter Pan always flying? He Neverlands.
  • What’s the most musical part of the chicken? The drumstick.
34. Why do seagulls fly over the sea? Because if they flew over a bay, they would be bagels.
35. How do you know when the moon has had enough to eat? When it’s full.
36. What kind of music do planets like? Neptunes.
37. Why can’t you trust an atom? Because they make up everything.
38. What do you call a group of disorganized cats? A cat-tastrophe.
39. Why do bees have sticky hair? Because they use honeycombs.
40. Where do you learn to make banana splits? At sundae school.
41. How do you tell if a vampire is sick? By how much he is coffin.
42. Why are ghosts good cheerleaders? Because they have a lot of spirit!
43. What happens to a frog’s car when it breaks down? It gets toad away.
44. Why did the witches’ team lose the baseball game? Their bats flew away.
45. Why did the school kids eat their homework? Because their teacher told them it was a piece of cake.
46. Why are hairdressers never late for work? Because they know all the short cuts!

Albuquerque had string of unprecedented 100+ degree days this summer but now we are back into the low to mid 80's which is WONDERFUL for August in Albuquerque. I feel so bad for those of you in the heat belt that is now east of us. I HATE really hot weather as much as I dislike really cold weather. I suppose it's because I'm older and less resilient about those things now. It's a trade off I suppose that I seem to be less bothered by other things.

There's no such thing as Utopia I think as there will always be problems. But most of us would not trade the problems we have for those of others. Funny how that works.

Albuquerque had string of unprecedented 100+ degree days this summer but now we are back into the low to mid 80's which is WONDERFUL for August in Albuquerque. I feel so bad for those of you in the heat belt that is now east of us. I HATE really hot weather as much as I dislike really cold weather. I suppose it's because I'm older and less resilient about those things now. It's a trade off I suppose that I seem to be less bothered by other things.

There's no such thing as Utopia I think as there will always be problems. But most of us would not trade the problems we have for those of others. Funny how that works.
Lucky you, dear Foxfyre. It's been 100+ here up to 110 Farenheit. I just got home from Walmart to find it is 103 degrees in the sticks where i live. When I got back to the car after buying milk and dogfood, I had to put papers over the steering wheel because inside the windows up truck it had to have been 20 degrees hotter than it was in that gargantuan parking lot that was so hot no steam was rising. Most of our days have been over 102 degrees for 7 weeks now. Two weeks ago, we had a consecutive 2-day reprieve of 99 degrees apiece. When the sun went down yesterday, it was 93 at the coolest. To all y'all who are uncomfortably warm today, here's a little blast from the past to hopefully help us laugh it off and stay positive. :thup:

Lucky you, dear Foxfyre. It's been 100+ here up to 110 Farenheit. I just got home from Walmart to find it is 103 degrees in the sticks where i live. When I got back to the car after buying milk and dogfood, I had to put papers over the steering wheel because inside the windows up truck it had to have been 20 degrees hotter than it was in that gargantuan parking lot that was so hot no steam was rising. Most of our days have been over 102 degrees for 7 weeks now. Two weeks ago, we had a consecutive 2-day reprieve of 99 degrees apiece. When the sun went down yesterday, it was 93 at the coolest. To all y'all who are uncomfortably warm today, here's a little blast from the past to hopefully help us laugh it off and stay positive. :thup:

I know it has been brutal for you Beautress. We have kinfolk around the Cleveland Tx (Liberty County) area which probably isn't all that far from you and temps have been just terrible. So we are indeed blessed to enjoy these much cooler temperatures well below normal for us this time of year. And folks in other parts of Texas -- Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio areas and such are also suffering though the Texas Panhandle is now having bearable summer temps. That suggests we may be near the end of this brutal heat wave. It is a pleasant 84 degrees in Albuquerque right now so I think I'll go to the grocery store. Don't need any dog food but do need some other important stuff. Like ice cream :)

Last edited:
I know it has been brutal for you Beautress. We have kinfolk around the Cleveland Tx (Liberty County) area which probably isn't all that far from you and temps have been just terrible. So we are indeed blessed to enjoy these much cooler temperatures well below normal for us this time of year. And folks in other parts of Texas -- Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio areas and such are also suffering though the Texas Panhandle is now having bearable summer temps. That suggests we may be near the end of this brutal heat wave. It is a pleasant 84 degrees in Albuquerque right now so I think I'll go to the grocery store. Don't need any dog food but do need some other important stuff. Like ice cream :)
That I didn't get today because ice cream puts weight on me without fail. I can't afford a new expanded wardrobe! :heehee: Hope we all get a break, but my 10-day forecast says it is not going to be highs less than about 101. It's hard to sew charity quilts without fans upstairs. I may have to move the sewing machine downstairs where the air conditioner still works. We had hot summers when I was growing up in Houston, and I never thought a thing about it because ceiling fans were a luxury, and grandma's house had it. We lived with her while Dad was in Korea.

Government leaders are saying we need to buy gas masks immediately on YouTube. The Military is talking foreign invasion, and the Capitol building is experiencing gas smells. Not sure what all this means, but it doesn't sound good. If they destroy our grid, it is alleged we will lose all electronic devices including tv, radio, and the internet. If that happens, I hope y'all find safety somehow. Prayers up, everyone.

Last edited:
I’m feeling the crispness of fall coming on up here in the so-so northwest.

It’s kinda odd though, just not seeing as many birds feasting on my bumper crop of sunflowers this year..This years been amazingly productive fruit, flower and veggies wise.

..and hugs to anyone that needs one..

I’m feeling the crispness of fall coming on up here in the so-so northwest.

It’s kinda odd though, just not seeing as many birds feasting on my bumper crop of sunflowers this year..This years been amazingly productive fruit, flower and veggies wise.

..and hugs to anyone that needs one..
I bet a Lumpy 1 hug would be a great hug. Everybody needs a hug now and then.

That I didn't get today because ice cream puts weight on me without fail. I can't afford a new expanded wardrobe! :heehee: Hope we all get a break, but my 10-day forecast says it is not going to be highs less than about 101. It's hard to sew charity quilts without fans upstairs. I may have to move the sewing machine downstairs where the air conditioner still works. We had hot summers when I was growing up in Houston, and I never thought a thing about it because ceiling fans were a luxury, and grandma's house had it. We lived with her while Dad was in Korea.

Government leaders are saying we need to buy gas masks immediately on YouTube. The Military is talking foreign invasion, and the Capitol building is experiencing gas smells. Not sure what all this means, but it doesn't sound good. If they destroy our grid, it is alleged we will lose all electronic devices including tv, radio, and the internet. If that happens, I hope y'all find safety somehow. Prayers up, everyone.

Maybe it's naive or even denial, but I have decided I'm too old to worry about problems until they are problems. It has worked for me so far. :)

Ice Cream isn't really good for anybody, but every now and then it tastes really good. We do eat it only occasionally and are conscious to keep it in moderation.

I bet a Lumpy 1 hug would be a great hug. Everybody needs a hug now and then.
Yup..
We have raised a family of huggers but alas times have changed, you just can’t go around hugging willy nilly anymore .. (had a vision) .. especially if your a hair smeller as well.. 😬

Last edited:
Maybe it's naive or even denial, but I have decided I'm too old to worry about problems until they are problems. It has worked for me so far. :)

Ice Cream isn't really good for anybody, but every now and then it tastes really good. We do eat it only occasionally and are conscious to keep it in moderation.
This reminded me of my eldest daughter. Not to long ago, I was singing the praises of this particularly creamy vanilla ice cream (called red top) that I was enjoying lately. I think I was over selling but she looked real interested and I was expecting a positive response.

Her response was, “what is it with old folks and ice cream? “ … sheesh.. too honest but funny.. 😀

Last edited:
And it's a good Monday morning when you laugh.

This was the funniest song I could think of ... from way back when:

If the words are not clear, I found the lyrics here, https://genius.com/The-fendermen-mule-skinner-blues-lyrics , though it is so nonsensical that it's sorta a punchline for unlikely employment: I am so giggling. Oh, and we got rain last night. My poor pale ginger grass out front may come back green, yet.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back