Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
GW's student/friend Sean, his injured brother, and their family,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

img_0322.png

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Good morning, everyone.

Last evening, a client of mine came by with some really outstanding whiskey, two small whiskey glasses and a big smile. He knew my dog very well. In fact, he often took care of the pooch for me when I was on business trips. He decided that it was not good for me to be alone last evening and so we drank a little whiskey, talked about the pooch, laughed (and cried) some and talked about archeology and great wines as well. He and his soon-to-be (I suspect) fiancee are doing a project together and I am helping them with the project. She is more beautiful than most models, just stunningly beautiful. And what a fine person, too.

It did me a lot of good. But by midnight I was so tuckered out, he said adieu and I fell asleep right on the couch. It's good to have good friends, they are worth gold. He is a semi-professional photographer on top of his real learned profession and had taken many pics of Klia, also with my daughter and he offered to make a really beautiful Photo-montage of el poocho for me. Cool.

Today is the day I visit my daughter. I was going to cancel (for the second time in 5 years) because the weather is just terrible today and where I visit her, I only get about 1 hour and 40 minutes to visit, but today, her mother needs her back 40 minutes early, so I would only see her for one hour and it's just totally illogical to pack her up in the car and drive home to my place: by the time we get here, we would need to drive right back. So, I usually just stay there and play with my daughter at one of many possible playgrounds, all of which she of course knows by heart. Wednesday is also ice-cream day for her (and me!), but it is storming like crazy right now. However, her mother just texted me that the little one is very upset about loss of pooch and really needs Papa right now, so I will definitely go and visit her. One of my clients, who is also a child psychologist, just telephoned with me and encouraged me to simply be there for her and be very honest, that that is exactly what kids want: honesty.

Kids and pets really are the best part of humanity, in my book.

Hope you all have a good day.

I just want to thank you for posting what is the best most real post that I have seen to date on this thread. I'll tell you statist that no matter the work involved no matter the timing making yourself available for people in life whether they need it or not can open the doors to things and opportunities that others don't get. The ability to help or influence another. Thank you for your post.

Thank you, natrualgas for the kind words.

BTW, the shortening of my name is not, I repeat, not "Statist", but rather, simply "Stat", if you wish.

I am in no way a statist. That's not my thing.

And the name refers to statistics and bulls (studs) in the German language. :) :)

Welcome to USMB.
Hengst = bull?

As in Stud.

:D

Nothing political or religious about this so I thought I'd post it. I found it kinda interesting.

What's up with Michigan?

CBOX_BlattLanguage_2jpgCROP_original-original_zps5ea30838.jpg

Actually, Korean stuck out more to me, in Georgia and VIRGINIA. Virginia!??!?!?!?

:lol:

And if I remember correctly, Hmong is a common language, a bridge-language, between S. China and the countries under it, like Vietnam, Laos, Kambodscha, etc....

I agree Foxfyre and Ringel. It was my own choice to leave USMB for a long time, but it is hard to feel reconnected some times. The new format took a while to adjust, but more troubling is the rampant race and religion haters out on the board. I look at the new posts section and many times just walk away without posting on anything. Partially because of my long absences, I find it difficult to come into the Coffee Shop after reading what some of our crew has written out on the board. The disconnect between their demeanor in here and out there is too great for me to want to chat. Again, I think being gone a long time has been a factor there.

My purpose in being here is for entertainment, I'm bored a lot. I enjoy saying something that makes you smile or laugh, maybe see a different political view. Seize the day.

I agree Foxfyre and Ringel. It was my own choice to leave USMB for a long time, but it is hard to feel reconnected some times. The new format took a while to adjust, but more troubling is the rampant race and religion haters out on the board. I look at the new posts section and many times just walk away without posting on anything. Partially because of my long absences, I find it difficult to come into the Coffee Shop after reading what some of our crew has written out on the board. The disconnect between their demeanor in here and out there is too great for me to want to chat. Again, I think being gone a long time has been a factor there.

My purpose in being here is for entertainment, I'm bored a lot. I enjoy saying something that makes you smile or laugh, maybe see a different political view. Seize the day.
Save, I've taken two or three very long sabbaticals from the board, during the longest one I tried to come back and post a few times but like you found I wasn't ready to deal with the down and dirty. Also I really had nothing I wanted to share even with friends, I'd look at the posts, wonder why I was even here then log off. That went on for months then suddenly one day I started posting again and everything was back to normal.
In my case I'm pretty sure depression had a lot to do with it. :thup:

Nothing political or religious about this so I thought I'd post it. I found it kinda interesting.

What's up with Michigan?

CBOX_BlattLanguage_2jpgCROP_original-original_zps5ea30838.jpg

Actually, Korean stuck out more to me, in Georgia and VIRGINIA. Virginia!??!?!?!?

:lol:

And if I remember correctly, Hmong is a common language, a bridge-language, between S. China and the countries under it, like Vietnam, Laos, Kambodscha, etc....
Very large Korean contingent primarily in Northern Virginia (DC Metro).

Save, I've taken two or three very long sabbaticals from the board, during the longest one I tried to come back and post a few times but like you found I wasn't ready to deal with the down and dirty. Also I really had nothing I wanted to share even with friends, I'd look at the posts, wonder why I was even here then log off. That went on for months then suddenly one day I started posting again and everything was back to normal.
I took time off too...I guess that what the cool guys do :)

The CS is a double edged sword. It was a good liberal friend here that had me take things in stride in the threads, but, sometimes the meaness out there I just can't separate from the poster in here.

And it's no secret that I too have recently taken a lot of time off, practically the entire summer, but I think the reasons I did were different. I won't go into the sordid details but, I did also have the same thoughts as you two. But I'll tell ya point blank, yes the CS was full of conservative friends when it started, and we'd get a liberal come in every once and awhile and troll the joint up with some nasty comments, and then it went back to just us. Now it seems that there are quite a few liberals that have decided to come in here and join in the chat and act normal. This is all fine and dandy with me. I'm certain that's what Foxy had in mind when she started it, a place where anyone could come and chat without the vile, caustic rudeness like the rest of the board. Well, I too know what SL means seeing what others say else where on the board and then seeing them in here. The way I feel about that is, if you don't like them out in other places on the board, then you don't have to like them in here. But for the sake of keeping the peace and playing by the rules in here, I just ignore them. It's easy enough to do.

Kinda interesting though why any liberal would want to come in here after all the years of running us down like they did.

Checking in from beautiful downtown Roswell, NM........ Got here in a short 4 1/2 hours and was able to check into the hotel early. Grabbed some Jimmy Johns for lunch and we're now relaxing waiting to get ready for the interview this afternoon.

Let us know how it goes/went.
Okay, panel interview, two other applicants, both already in the system with specific knowledge of the job....... Getting the feeling the wife was interviewed to fulfill the legal requirements of interviewing x number of people for a specific job.
Now that doesn't mean she couldn't be considered for another position elsewhere in the state. We'll see.
BTW, that drive between Vaughn and Roswell is loooong........ even if it's only a little more than an hour....... :lol:

Having some personal experience and citing up close and personal experience of close family members, it is almost impossible to land one of the higher paying, higher level state or federal jobs unless you know somebody, and then that somebody has to have some clout . When we first moved to New Mexico we were assured by my BIL, a high level appointee under the immediate former governor, that the New Mexico government would hire according to merit. Merit would be determined by 1/3 experience and 2/3 scores on a proficiency exam. Hombre brought as much or more experience to the job as any other candidate applying for the position and he aced the exam--100% No other candidate scored higher than 90%. He never got a call.

We were subsequently advised by friends in high places that had my BIL still been in his position, Hombre would have been a shoe in. But without that connection. . . . .and that is true in essentially every state government and the federal government no matter who is in power. It isn't fair. But it is the way it is. Only way to get there other than via nepotism or cronyism is to go in at low level and gradually work your way up and even then there is a glass ceiling for those without connections. At least you can have some chances to establish some connections while working your way up.

But that road between Roswell and Vaughn is close to 100 miles with absolutely nothing in between. If you did it in a little over one hour, I bet there are cops out there still looking for you. :)
There's places in NV where you just set your cruise at 90 mph and forget about it. Ain't nobody out there who cares. You go any slower than that and you will get passed.

I took time off too...I guess that what the cool guys do :)

The CS is a double edged sword. It was a good liberal friend here that had me take things in stride in the threads, but, sometimes the meaness out there I just can't separate from the poster in here.
I can still get down and dirty with the best of em if I want to, heck for a while I was the reigning champ of putdowns on the board at one time but now I save it for the truly asinine posters. As for here in the CS there have only been a couple of posters (in the past) that I would not even acknowledge but that was after I discovered they were patently racist, seriously homophobic or purely status driven. Otherwise I find some of us can club, kick, punch and gouge each other on the open board but be normal, respectful humans here and sometimes even joke about our open board interactions, separating politics from the person.

Good thing "not getting passed" isn't the point of travelling... :lol:

Well, when I pulled into the driveway from an overnight trip last night, Hobbes was there to greet me, jumped right into the driver's seat when I opened my door. I had left him in the tree to figure it out for himself and eventually he did. First time he's done that on his own. Good thing too, as I'm about to leave him for a five-day trip.

He's like a feline business traveller. Books his tree for three or four nights, then goes home.

"But the cat came back..
He just couldn't stay away...."

Pogo, please remember you never find cat skeletons in trees. Halloween might be an exception. Otherwise, they always come down.

31.5 degrees and frosty here Bodecea. Imagine the confidence one must have to say 31.5 degrees. Those guys at weather bug just ooze the stuff.

Got to get going here... I'm headed over to Madison to Truax Field to get my military ID. I hear there's a BX and a commissary there because of the AF reserve squadron there. Won't hurt to have the ID for other reasons though too.

Pogo, please remember you never find cat skeletons in trees. Halloween might be an exception. Otherwise, they always come down.

That's what everybody kept telling me the first three times. Each of those, he stayed up four days, through cold and rain with no food or water, until somebody finally plucked him out of there. That's why this is kind of a turning point.

They be easy pickin's for owls and hawks up in the trees too.

Exactly, and we've got lots of raptors here already. We had a hawk gliding overhead observing the situation when I was trying to coax him down.

Forum List

Back