USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hey Ringel, thanks for that Macpup recommendation! After hours of frustrating almost-working with the external, pulling a few things off but never staying connected long enough to get everything, I decided to try Macpup. I actually had a problem burning it to disk (I don't know if there's a problem with my dvd drive or if I happened to get 3 bunk blank dvd's in a row) so I ended up putting it on a flash drive. I plugged both a new hd and the external to the pc, booted with the usb, and lo! I was able to see the external and transfer files. Other than a couple of files with errors that weren't too important, I got everything. :D

It was slightly disconcerting navigating through the OS since I'm so used to Windows, but that was only minor annoyance. I am thinking about keeping Macpup on the flash drive in case I ever need to use it again. ;)
Glad it worked for you and yeah, I should have warned you that Linux distros would look "alien" to a Windows user with a slight learning curve, well moderate learning curve with MacPup.
As with the burning issue, don't know but they may have configured it to be burned to a thumb drive, depends on which mirror you clicked on so don't blame the discs or drive just yet. :lol:
If you have a slightly older (spare) computer and a little time you can do what I've done in the past, try out different Linux distributions like OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mint and Ubuntu (I've tried a lot more but those are the big four). One I have on an old P4 machine is Bodhi Linux, very lightweight and uses what's called the "Enlightenment" interface, it's designed to work on everything from a tablet up to a big multi-core system.
It's kinda fun to play around with these and I have one I keep for specific uses, (Mint - the one I like the best).

lol...Every time I read one of your techno posts and understand none of it, I realize how little I know...:lmao: I've always liked those words, Ubuntu and Fedora though. For some reason, I always think of Pogo when I hear Fedora. Must be his good avatars.

If you wanted to change your anti-virus program when it expires, would you go back to Norton, in spite of the space requirements, and if it had served you very well for years?

Good morning folks! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day thus far. I got my run in this morning and even after my shower I still can't manage to shake the chill. Brrr!

Wow....good for you. I call that dedication. :thup: I'll be on my stationary bike within a few minutes, and for a few miles. :lol:

Oh and not long ago she got a call from the Reno, NV job, the one we thought was a bust. Phone interview tomorrow and if that works out they'll fly her out to Reno for a face to face....... When it rains it pours.......
I enjoyed my time in Reno. It's a fun town, and then there's Virginia City and Lake Tahoe real near, but watch out for the earth quakes. They say Reno is due for a "big one" every 25 years. It's right on a major fault line. That's more of the reason I moved away from there than any.

Baby, when in I lived in the Sierra Nevada area, I went to Lake Tahoe often. I swam those frigid waters, too. :lol: But then, I am a fish...well, more appropriately, mermaid. :D What a beautiful lake AND setting. I can't even think of a comparable....
If I'm not mistaken, it's the cleanest and largest alpine lake in the world. It is really a sight to behold, and a really fun area to explore. We rode the Harleys up to the lake often. What a great ride, such a beautiful area. I never swam in the lake though, too cold for me. Plenty of people do. There's a real nice beach on the south end near the CA/NV border. Would have enjoyed watching you swim in it though... :dance:

Here's an old pic I took near one of the many rest areas around the lake...

111%20005_zpscnwfsfus.jpg

Good morning folks! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day thus far. I got my run in this morning and even after my shower I still can't manage to shake the chill. Brrr!

Wow....good for you. I call that dedication. :thup: I'll be on my stationary bike within a few minutes, and for a few miles. :lol:

Get it. I love my stationary bike.

I actually prefer to run in the winter, it so refreshing to have that cold air deep in my lungs. I hate running outdoors in the summer up here. The humidity makes the air feel like butter.

Have a good work-out!

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Hey Ringel, thanks for that Macpup recommendation! After hours of frustrating almost-working with the external, pulling a few things off but never staying connected long enough to get everything, I decided to try Macpup. I actually had a problem burning it to disk (I don't know if there's a problem with my dvd drive or if I happened to get 3 bunk blank dvd's in a row) so I ended up putting it on a flash drive. I plugged both a new hd and the external to the pc, booted with the usb, and lo! I was able to see the external and transfer files. Other than a couple of files with errors that weren't too important, I got everything. :D

It was slightly disconcerting navigating through the OS since I'm so used to Windows, but that was only minor annoyance. I am thinking about keeping Macpup on the flash drive in case I ever need to use it again. ;)
Glad it worked for you and yeah, I should have warned you that Linux distros would look "alien" to a Windows user with a slight learning curve, well moderate learning curve with MacPup.
As with the burning issue, don't know but they may have configured it to be burned to a thumb drive, depends on which mirror you clicked on so don't blame the discs or drive just yet. :lol:
If you have a slightly older (spare) computer and a little time you can do what I've done in the past, try out different Linux distributions like OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mint and Ubuntu (I've tried a lot more but those are the big four). One I have on an old P4 machine is Bodhi Linux, very lightweight and uses what's called the "Enlightenment" interface, it's designed to work on everything from a tablet up to a big multi-core system.
It's kinda fun to play around with these and I have one I keep for specific uses, (Mint - the one I like the best).

lol...Every time I read one of your techno posts and understand none of it, I realize how little I know...:lmao: I've always liked those words, Ubuntu and Fedora though. For some reason, I always think of Pogo when I hear Fedora. Must be his good avatars.

If you wanted to change your anti-virus program when it expires, would you go back to Norton, in spite of the space requirements, and if it had served you very well for years?
If you like Norton then use Norton, it's a good AV (Anti Virus) but I personally think it's a resource hog and since I can get a free AV that is just as good or better without it being as 'heavy" a program I stick with opensource programs. Just be aware that no AV will completely protect us all the time, new bugs are being released every day and new vulnerabilities are being discovered constantly, that's why all those virus definition updates and security patches we deal with all the time.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Oh, and gleanings from my morning mail:

A husband went to the sheriff’s department to report
that his wife was missing.
Husband: My wife is missing. She went shopping yesterday and has not come home....
Sergeant: What is her height?
Husband: Gee, I’m not sure. A little over five-feet tall.
Sergeant: Weight?
Husband: Don’t know. Not slim, not really fat.
Sergeant: Color of eyes?
Husband: Never noticed.
Sergeant: Color of hair?
Husband: Changes a couple times a year. Maybe dark brown.
Sergeant: What was she wearing?
Husband: Could have been a skirt or shorts. I don’t remember exactly.
Sergeant: What kind of car did she go in?
Husband: She went in my truck.
Sergeant: What kind of truck was it?
Husband: Brand new 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch 4X4 with eco-boost 5.0L V8 engine special ordered with manual transmission. It has a custom matching white cover for the bed. Custom leather seats and “Bubba” floor mats. Trailering package with gold hitch. DVD with navigation, 40-channel CB radio, six cup holders, and four power outlets. Added special alloy wheels and off-road Michelins. Wife put a small scratch on the drivers door. At this point the husband started choking up.
Sergeant: Don't worry buddy. We'll find your truck.​

If you like Norton then use Norton, it's a good AV (Anti Virus) but I personally think it's a resource hog and since I can get a free AV that is just as good or better without it being as 'heavy" a program I stick with opensource programs. Just be aware that no AV will completely protect us all the time, new bugs are being released every day and new vulnerabilities are being discovered constantly, that's why all those virus definition updates and security patches we deal with all the time.

We use Avast Internet Security and so far it really has not noticably highjacked resources or interfered with anything I want to do. It does update several times every day.

We use Avast Internet Security and so far it really has not noticably highjacked resources or interfered with anything I want to do. It does update several times every day.
I use the free version of Avast plus Malwarebytes and (believe it or not) the built in Windows Firewall. Avast is activated for all my browsers as well as some specific AddOns that warn me if I click on a "dangerous" link.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I use the free version of Avast plus Malwarebytes and (believe it or not) the built in Windows Firewall. Avast is activated for all my browsers as well as some specific AddOns that warn me if I click on a "dangerous" link.

Thanks Ringel ( you REAL geek ) and I might try the free version of Avast. I also subscribe to Malwarebytes. ( I know I can get it free though ) So if I switch to free Avast, you recommend Windows firewall?? I am running Windows. Chrome on my Chromebook...doh! :D

Oh and not long ago she got a call from the Reno, NV job, the one we thought was a bust. Phone interview tomorrow and if that works out they'll fly her out to Reno for a face to face....... When it rains it pours.......
I enjoyed my time in Reno. It's a fun town, and then there's Virginia City and Lake Tahoe real near, but watch out for the earth quakes. They say Reno is due for a "big one" every 25 years. It's right on a major fault line. That's more of the reason I moved away from there than any.

Baby, when in I lived in the Sierra Nevada area, I went to Lake Tahoe often. I swam those frigid waters, too. :lol: But then, I am a fish...well, more appropriately, mermaid. :D What a beautiful lake AND setting. I can't even think of a comparable....
Of course, the water is way, way down right now because of the ongoing drought. I was up there two summers ago and the water level had dropped significantly. Things have only gotten worse, I imagine. But it is a beautiful place. For folks like me, who come out fish-belly white, I have to be very careful and use SPF 1,000 or I'll look like a boiled lobster after a couple of hours.

I like the Bitdefender.

Oh, and gleanings from my morning mail:

A husband went to the sheriff’s department to report
that his wife was missing.
Husband: My wife is missing. She went shopping yesterday and has not come home....
Sergeant: What is her height?
Husband: Gee, I’m not sure. A little over five-feet tall.
Sergeant: Weight?
Husband: Don’t know. Not slim, not really fat.
Sergeant: Color of eyes?
Husband: Never noticed.
Sergeant: Color of hair?
Husband: Changes a couple times a year. Maybe dark brown.
Sergeant: What was she wearing?
Husband: Could have been a skirt or shorts. I don’t remember exactly.
Sergeant: What kind of car did she go in?
Husband: She went in my truck.
Sergeant: What kind of truck was it?
Husband: Brand new 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch 4X4 with eco-boost 5.0L V8 engine special ordered with manual transmission. It has a custom matching white cover for the bed. Custom leather seats and “Bubba” floor mats. Trailering package with gold hitch. DVD with navigation, 40-channel CB radio, six cup holders, and four power outlets. Added special alloy wheels and off-road Michelins. Wife put a small scratch on the drivers door. At this point the husband started choking up.
Sergeant: Don't worry buddy. We'll find your truck.​

I don't use any virus protection what so ever....
Interesting day so far.
Yesterday afternoon the tv was breaking into shows saying there had been a shooting at Elberta Middle School Max's nieces go to school there and the school is just 3 miles East of my home. More info would come in bits and pieces. At first it was a fight between two cafeteria ladies, then there were no injuries and now, as it stands this morning, no shots fired the name of the suspect sounded familiar, and I vaguely recognized her as someone I'd seen, maybe at the market in Elberta?

She did get into the school with a loaded revolver wanting to kill her sister who did work in the school cafeteria. Her sister locked herself in the cafeteria office and the suspect broke the office door window with the gun butt. Safety wire kept the window intact. Suspect left the building and was grabbed up as she tried to get in her vehicle to leave the school.

She SHOULD look familiar. She lives right across the road here.
So far 2 reporters have stopped by asking what we know.
All I do know is her son did time for a shooting and there's meth and crack in their history. In 5 years I've had no real contact with anyone over there and I'm thinking it will stay that way.

Oh It's my day off but I have a doctor's appointment to try to do something with this bronchitis that has been killing me for 12 days now and then an appointment with the agent for Doc's liquor liability insurance.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Of course, the water is way, way down right now because of the ongoing drought. I was up there two summers ago and the water level had dropped significantly. Things have only gotten worse, I imagine. But it is a beautiful place. For folks like me, who come out fish-belly white, I have to be very careful and use SPF 1,000 or I'll look like a boiled lobster after a couple of hours.

Yes. We have friends who just recently moved from that area back to Kansas. They showed us photos of Lake Tahoe with huge areas that are barren and sunbleached that used to be blue water. That is typical all over the west though. Our own largest lake in the state is but a puddle compared to what it normally is.

I don't use any virus protection what so ever....
Interesting day so far.
Yesterday afternoon the tv was breaking into shows saying there had been a shooting at Elberta Middle School Max's nieces go to school there and the school is just 3 miles East of my home. More info would come in bits and pieces. At first it was a fight between two cafeteria ladies, then there were no injuries and now, as it stands this morning, no shots fired the name of the suspect sounded familiar, and I vaguely recognized her as someone I'd seen, maybe at the market in Elberta?

She did get into the school with a loaded revolver wanting to kill her sister who did work in the school cafeteria. Her sister locked herself in the cafeteria office and the suspect broke the office door window with the gun butt. Safety wire kept the window intact. Suspect left the building and was grabbed up as she tried to get in her vehicle to leave the school.

She SHOULD look familiar. She lives right across the road here.
So far 2 reporters have stopped by asking what we know.
All I do know is her son did time for a shooting and there's meth and crack in their history. In 5 years I've had no real contact with anyone over there and I'm thinking it will stay that way.

Probably a lot of us really don't want to know much about some of our neighbors, but geez GW. A close family member recently relocated and has access to all public records so ran searches on potential new neighborhoods. It was amazing how many houses of interest to buy had a registered sex offender or other serial offender living nearby. She passed on a couple of houses because the information was sufficiently alarming.

Oh It's my day off but I have a doctor's appointment to try to do something with this bronchitis that has been killing me for 12 days now and then an appointment with the agent for Doc's liquor liability insurance.
I'm going to swing over that way next winter when I head south. I have to see your place and hang out for a little while and chat. My old Air Force buddy that I'll visit is in Albany, GE, not all that far away.

Wish I could bring the scooter. Would love to go for a putt.

Forum List

Back