Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCE....

temps_zpswb2bmrw1.jpg

Wow...that's brutal. :)
But for us, being that 28 of the last 30 days have been below normal, much of that like 20 and 30 degrees below normal, that above forcast is looking wonderful.

I think WQ was teasing a bit being in Florida and all. Or perhaps taunting a bit? Sometimes it's hard to tell. :) But we're enjoying warmer weather similar to yours right now, but with so much wind it feels colder. I would rather have colder without the wind.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCE....

temps_zpswb2bmrw1.jpg

But for us, being that 28 of the last 30 days have been below normal, much of that like 20 and 30 degrees below normal, that above forcast is looking wonderful.

I think WQ was teasing a bit being in Florida and all. Or perhaps taunting a bit? Sometimes it's hard to tell. :) But we're enjoying warmer weather similar to yours right now, but with so much wind it feels colder. I would rather have colder without the wind.

Hey....I lived in Minneapolis for six years. I've done my time in the Gulag. :lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
It was really nice today at 70 degrees. well, in the sun anyway. A bit nippier in the shade. BUT, my brussel sprouts are going hog wild, the 'maters have flowers popping up, the bell peppers are getting taller, the green onions are getting fat stems and the cauliflower is peeking thru the soil. Oh, and the strawberries have buds everywhere. Of course, I have them next to the wall in full sun all day so they are happy campers. I gotta weed eat the yard tomorrow...grass is 5 inches tall and I just weed eated it last week!

And...drumroll...I just ordered a pair of trekking sticks! When they get here, I am going to take a walk like I used to.....down the hill, around the block, UP the hill. It will be a good test to see what happens with my hips.

Okay, off to make myself pretty. We're going out for great Chinese food tonight. Catch ya'll later.

I trust you are going to a western style Chinese restaurant. . I once went to a Chinese restaurant in China town in London, and they cater for the real Chinese palate. I had chopped duck and vegetables, and the duck was still bleeding, and I had never seen any of the vegetables before. I think they got them from a swamp.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCE....

temps_zpswb2bmrw1.jpg

Yeah I got that.

And I'm a happy camper. It's cold right now and will be again tonight, but we've been cold for so long that I can do a few more hours standing on my head. The warm weather is on the way, and that just makes me feel like a brand new man.

I'm going to go down to my old bank and close a couple accounts, then head for Sauk City and hit the Harley dealer and just browse, and then there's an industrial metal place I want to find and maybe pick up some steel. Been thinking of starting a welding project.

Okay, off to make myself pretty. We're going out for great Chinese food tonight. Catch ya'll later.

I trust you are going to a western style Chinese restaurant. . I once went to a Chinese restaurant in China town in London, and they cater for the real Chinese palate. I had chopped duck and vegetables, and the duck was still bleeding, and I had never seen any of the vegetables before. I think they got them from a swamp.

We have one of those here and it is always packed and I DO mean always. What a successful business and not just in tourist season. It brings in the locals also, and year `round. :thup: Same with a local Thai restaurant.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCE....

temps_zpswb2bmrw1.jpg

Yeah I got that.

And I'm a happy camper. It's cold right now and will be again tonight, but we've been cold for so long that I can do a few more hours standing on my head. The warm weather is on the way, and that just makes me feel like a brand new man.

I'm going to go down to my old bank and close a couple accounts, then head for Sauk City and hit the Harley dealer and just browse, and then there's an industrial metal place I want to find and maybe pick up some steel. Been thinking of starting a welding project.

Vroom, Vroom.....I can just hear that exciting Harley engine now. What power it announces as it starts up and rides. Glad warm weather will soon be your constant companion, `7. It is still a rotten 60 and sunny here. We haven't had a real winter in two years and I am bummed over it all. I want those soft rains, mist hanging in the forest outside my windows and cozy temps. Love to take rides in that kind of weather. I also like riding in sunny weather too, but unfortunately that is when the most tourists are here and the narrow winding little highway, with an ocean on one side and forests on the other, is PACKED to capacity.

Thank the stars for tourism, though. Otherwise many little towns in America would have folded long ago. Tourism is the cleanest industry, as the tourists come, spend their money, enjoy all the quaint towns, the freedom all the forests and ocean offers them and then they go home with wonderful memories, leaving the pristine beauty of it all, back for the locals to bask in for about 6 months a year. :thup: Win-Win.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCE....

temps_zpswb2bmrw1.jpg

The bottom has fallen out here. At 8 AM it was 68 degrees. It's now 48. 20 degrees in an hour and 45 minutes.
No news from Max yet. I'm kind of uneasy.

Definitely PF Chang's caters to the western taste and their food is similar to what I make at home. But for a national chain, the food is excellent and there is a fine dining feel to the restaurant despite really reasonable prices. But all our local Asian restaurants do cater to what for better term exists a 'western' palate. And we have a LOT of Asian restaurants--maybe as many as we do Mexican food/southwestern cuisine restaurants--I've never counted them all up to compare.

Mrs. BBD has left to go meet and have lunch with all of the ladies in her Woman's Club. They are going to some little place that has just enough room for all of them. It's a very small place but has good food. When all of those old ladies pack up in there I know it will sound just like a hen house. Meanwhile, Taco and I, stuck at home, will have a PB&J and a glass of cold milk for lunch. Suits the both of us. Then we shall doze in the recliner and think about the nice warm weather that is just a day or two away unless the weatherman is lying.

Good morning everybody. Still chilly and in the mid 30's here as 11 a.m. approaches. They say we'll get into the mid 50's today, but that now seems unlikely. But there is only bright blue skies and sunshine out there--we should have a clear view of the beautiful full moon tonight. I'm surprised Peach is reporting rain--usually when she gets rain, so do we get rain or snow within a half day to a day because it usually all moves up here. But not this time I guess. Nothing in the forecast.

So Hombre will be leaving for his volunteer job shortly and I am going to start cleaning now to get ready for the house cleaners on Tuesday. Everybody have a great Thursday.

It was really nice today at 70 degrees. well, in the sun anyway. A bit nippier in the shade. BUT, my brussel sprouts are going hog wild, the 'maters have flowers popping up, the bell peppers are getting taller, the green onions are getting fat stems and the cauliflower is peeking thru the soil. Oh, and the strawberries have buds everywhere. Of course, I have them next to the wall in full sun all day so they are happy campers. I gotta weed eat the yard tomorrow...grass is 5 inches tall and I just weed eated it last week!

And...drumroll...I just ordered a pair of trekking sticks! When they get here, I am going to take a walk like I used to.....down the hill, around the block, UP the hill. It will be a good test to see what happens with my hips.

Trekking sticks huh. Interesting. That sounds like something that would benefit me too. Let us know how it works out for you.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCE....

temps_zpswb2bmrw1.jpg

The bottom has fallen out here. At 8 AM it was 68 degrees. It's now 48. 20 degrees in an hour and 45 minutes.
No news from Max yet. I'm kind of uneasy.

He's in my thoughts and prayers this morning Ernie. The surgery you described is a really big deal though so they will take a lot of time with it to get it right. And he'll probably be in recovery for quite awhile to be sure there is no excessive bleeding et al.

Trekking sticks huh. Interesting. That sounds like something that would benefit me too. Let us know how it works out for you.

I posted this last night in the Health Forum..so I cut and pasted it here:

Trekking Poles. I never heard of them. But I see this old couple bebopping along every day when I take the dogs for their run on the beach and me slowly trying to keep up with them. I'm all WTF are those things? Ski poles? So I go to google and what do I find? Trekking Poles!

Amazon.com BAFX Products - 2 Pack - Anti Shock Hiking Walking Trekking Trail Poles - 1 Pair Black Sports Outdoors

But I found a cheaper set here:

Pair 2 Trekking Walking Hiking Sticks Poles Alpenstock Anti Shock 65 135cm Black eBay

and this is what I found while hunting them down:

I have used the trekking poles. I noticed that my balance was a lot better. I have arthritis in my hip joint and walking usually makes me limp. The poles supported some of the weight so I walk more easily . I noticed that it had helped me with my gait that I am having such a tough time with. I would highly recommend the walking poles and get out there and enjoy the fresh air.

This is a testimonial to Nordic wWalking poles. I had never heard of them, but a friend, who is a physiotherapist in Canada, suggested them to me. She had used them to enable her to walk while recovering from a knee surgery. I had had an arthroscopy and was able to workout in a gym with a recumbent bike, but walking was painful and accompanied by a pronounced limp. The first time I used the poles was a revalation, although I had to work up to a 30-minute walk. I was able to accomplish this within a month, alternating days with my gym workout.

Specifically, I'm back to walking agressively, with much improved stability, and less stress on my knees. I've also had back surgery, and I've noticed that I'm walking with less jarring and the otherwise attendant back discomfort, which is an added benefit. Plus, it's a good workout and they're fun!
Whether you want poles for hiking, for exercise or for improving balance & mobility, learning how to use them and getting poles that fit you will help you achieve your goals.

As we age, we can lose or reduce spine function. Using poles for walking and hiking enables us to use our upper body muscles to help preserve our joints. Spine function can be restored.

This is done because, when we walk with poles, we appear to walk as we did when younger – with attitude. We are using muscles which support AND lengthen the spine. Walking with attitude – with purpose – is the natural walking pattern. It’s called reciprocal gait. It’s the diagonal pattern of opposite arm and leg. When this occurs, the spine is able to ROTATE. This spinal rotation feels good, looks good and is very healthy.

Gravity acts, the spine compresses, we get shorter. Using poles actually can reverse this process – the spine lengthens and elongates.

All of this assumes a natural arm swing. The arm swing is part of the spinal rotation and muscle recruitment.

Mayo Clinic:
Walking poles work your arms, shoulders, chest and upper back muscles through a functional range of motion as you walk — which can help you turn your daily walk into a full-body workout. This activity is sometimes called Nordic walking.

Most walking poles have rubber tips that grab the pavement and wrist straps that secure the poles to your arms. With one walking pole in each hand, you grip the handles and push off with each stride. Sturdier walking poles designed for hiking are known as hiking or trekking poles.

Consider the benefits of walking poles:

• The arm movement associated with walking poles adds intensity to your aerobic workout, which helps you burn more calories.
  • Walking poles improve balance and stability.
  • Walking poles help you maintain proper posture, especially in the upper back, and may help to strengthen upper back muscles.
  • Walking poles take some of the load off your lower back, hips and knees, which may be helpful if you have arthritis or back problems.
Walking poles in various fixed or adjustable lengths are available online and in many sporting goods stores.
So...guess what I'm fixing to buy on ebay? Yup!

Forum List

Back