Was Edmund Burke a "conservative"

Agit8r

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2010
I've hear people say that he is. Is it true?

"If civil society be the offspring of convention, that convention must be its law. That convention must limit and modify all the descriptions of constitution which are formed under it. Every sort of legislative, judicial, or executory power are its creatures. They can have no being in any other state of things; and how can any man claim under the conventions of civil society rights which do not so much as suppose its existence—rights which are absolutely repugnant to it? One of the first motives to civil society, and which becomes one of its fundamental rules, is that no man should be judge in his own cause. By this each person has at once divested himself of the first fundamental right of uncovenanted man, that is, to judge for himself and to assert his own cause. He abdicates all right to be his own governor. He inclusively, in a great measure, abandons the right of self-defense, the first law of nature. Men cannot enjoy the rights of an uncivil and of a civil state together. That he may obtain justice, he gives up his right of determining what it is in points the most essential to him. That he may secure some liberty, he makes a surrender in trust of the whole of it."

-- Edmund Burke; from 'Reflections on the Revolution in France' (1790)

I think you need to look up what Civil Society meant to Burke, and get back to us.

Well, I know he wouldn't have been a liberal, as modern 20th/21st century liberalism is a far cry from classical liberalism.

Many of our Republicans and Democrats would make Burke ill if he were included with them philosophically.

I think you need to look up what Civil Society meant to Burke, and get back to us.

Prior to 20th Century licentiousness, civil society typically meant society under written law. Whether it always meant that to Burke, or not, he indicates that the sort he is talking about here is such "If civil society be the offspring of convention... That convention must limit and modify all the descriptions of constitution which are formed under it" It's safe to presume here that he means the charters of towns or districts, or of course "the corporations that owe their existence to its fiat"

In any case, there is no reason to ask a question, if one doesn't expect that people will have some insight to share, so please feel free :)

Well, I know he wouldn't have been a liberal, as modern 20th/21st century liberalism is a far cry from classical liberalism.

Not really.

Classic liberalism revolved around Adam Smith's labor theory of value.

Modern liberalism revolves around the Progressive Era's social gospel... which is built on the Protestant Work Ethic.

Either way, people are expected to perform good works to prove their worth. People aren't treated with respect by default.

Not really.

Modern liberalism revolves around the Progressive Era's social gospel... which is built on the Protestant Work Ethic.

Either way, people are expected to perform good works to prove their worth. People aren't treated with respect by default.

That's a nice theory set. But no evidence will support your contention. Nice try.

Not really.

That's a nice theory set. But no evidence will support your contention. Nice try.

Are you just that unfamiliar with ideological history? This isn't exactly an empirical science we're talking about.

Forum List

Back