Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Last night, I had Dornish fries. This will sound familiar to anyone who has read the "Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin, or seen the TV series "Game of Thrones". A local pub invented them: handcut fries, deep-fried in veggie oil and then seasoned with cloves, cayenne pepper, and orange. The only thing I would have done differently is that, instead of serving them with a slice of orange on the side to squeeze over them, I would have added powdered orange zest to the spice mix, and THEN a slice of orange.

It was such a great combo that tonight, I'm going to use it on the chickens I'm roasting.

A slice from Ray's pizza. Damn good food.

rays-pizza-flikr-nicksherman-lg.jpg

Okay, so . . . Dornish chicken is amazing, and here's the recipe for anyone who wants to try it.

Preheat oven to 400.

Wash the chicken and remove the giblets. Either toss 'em in the pan or save them for stock later.

Pour lemon or orange juice - or both - over the chicken, breast side up, and rub some butter on it. Sprinkle ground cloves, pepper, lemon pepper, and ground orange peel on the chicken, then turn it breast side down and repeat on the back.

Turn oven down to 350 and put in center. Baste every 15-20 minutes for an hour, then flip the chicken breast side up. Continue basting every 15-20 minutes until the last 30-45 minutes.

Juicy, spicy, and sweet, all at once!

Okay, so . . . Dornish chicken is amazing, and here's the recipe for anyone who wants to try it.

Preheat oven to 400.

Wash the chicken and remove the giblets. Either toss 'em in the pan or save them for stock later.

Pour lemon or orange juice - or both - over the chicken, breast side up, and rub some butter on it. Sprinkle ground cloves, pepper, lemon pepper, and ground orange peel on the chicken, then turn it breast side down and repeat on the back.

Turn oven down to 350 and put in center. Baste every 15-20 minutes for an hour, then flip the chicken breast side up. Continue basting every 15-20 minutes until the last 30-45 minutes.

When I get to an oven Ima try that. You think a.guy could use one of those bages you do turkeys in ?

Mum bought a chicken in a Peri Peri marinade. An entire chook. Chucked it in the oven, cooked it, and ate half of it. Yeah, I ate half a dead chicken. LOL.

Preheat oven to 400.

When I get to an oven Ima try that. You think a.guy could use one of those bages you do turkeys in ?

You can, but that's not roasting the bird; that's steaming it. You don't get the same flavor. The reason I do it with the breast-down then -up method is that it makes it easy to get a juicy bird with the flavor you only get from roasting for no more effort than periodic basting, which is quick and easy with a cheap-o syringe baster from the supermarket.

Pork roast tonight.

Maybe some yukon gold potatoes. I've been meaning to can some..and haven't.

Hubby was in the mood for "two VERY burnt hot dogs, piled with onions, mustard and catsup on the bun". Sounded good, so I had just one, minus the onions. And that was for dinner. :)

Forum List

Back