Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Okay, it was fake Birria.

Real Birria is a Spanish/Arab dish that involves burying a whole goat in a brick lined pit.

But I made the Mexican Birria. I took a pork shoulder, put it in the crockpot with lots of fresh Rosemary, sweet basil, fresh oregano, and fresh dill. Tossed in a half dozen Anaheim chiles. 2 cups of water, four cloves of garlic, crushed, and a little salt.

I cooked this for 8 hours.

Then I took a package of dried, whole, New Mexico (Anajo) Chilies, (about 15 large chiles) and put them in a sauce pan with about a quart of the stock from the roast. I also fished out all of the green chiles and added them. Simmered for about 20 minutes. Fished out the red and green chiles and tossed them in the food processor to puree. I added the stock in on low speed.

Then I shredded the pork into a large pot. I added my chile sauce, and simmered for 15 minutes.

Served over brown rice with corn tortillas.

It was really good.

Tonight was chili night. :)

Had a couple of bowls of Habanero Chili (with round steak cut into strips, kidney beans, red bell peppers, orange habanero peppers, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, blackeyed peas, onions, and salt) added shredded cheddar as a topping. Used tortilla bread for dipping. Drank Sam Adams beer to wash it down. The beer really hit the spot tonight, however for those who don't like the chili too spicy, just replace the habaneros with jalapeños.

Last night I made chicken wraps.... I bought the tortillas in the supermarket.... inside I put lots of chicken, tomatoes and avocado! Delicious!

I will prepare the same for tonight too! I am so looking forward YUM! :tongue::D

not mine but look like this >>>

Those look very good. I make sandwich wraps for lunch sometimes. This weekend when I go shopping, I think I'll get the stuff to make them for lunch next week. You and the photo have inspired me. :)

White fish cooked in Creole sauce with rice and cucumber salad.

That sounds very good. Do you have a recipe for fish in creole sauce?

Creole Red Snapper Recipe - Health.com

I didn't have Red Snapper, so I used white fish filets I had in the freezer; it was still good. It could be spicier, as in, maybe add more hot sauce or chili pepper flakes. I used wine instead of vinegar. I like to cook with wine. And I added about 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.

creole-snapper-oh-1732913-x.jpg

Last edited:
White fish cooked in Creole sauce with rice and cucumber salad.

That sounds very good. Do you have a recipe for fish in creole sauce?

Creole Red Snapper Recipe - Health.com

I didn't have Red Snapper, so I used white fish filets I had in the freezer; it was still good. It could be spicier, as in, maybe add more hot sauce or chili pepper flakes. I used wine instead of vinegar. I like to cook with wine. And I added about 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.

creole-snapper-oh-1732913-x.jpg

Looks beautiful.. I can do that.. Thanks.

Baba ghannuj with pita bread and lamb kifta with yogurt sauce.
Sounds like a superb meal!

I've had marinated lamb meat on a stick before and it is very good, especially with the yogurt sauce. This specific dish also goes great with Greek yogurt/garlic sauce, called tzatziki sauce.

The eggplant spread is delicious ,especially when using fresh pita bread to dip into it.

It's good to attempt to make these dishes at home, but most of the time I head out to the restaurant since some of these dishes are rather complex to make at home (especially the eggplant dip). When eaten at a Middle Eastern or Persian restaurant, these dishes are superb. Problem is that these restaurants are far and few, and takes considerable time to drive there. Well worth the time though.

Baba ghannuj with pita bread and lamb kifta with yogurt sauce.
Sounds like a superb meal!

I've had marinated lamb meat on a stick before and it is very good, especially with the yogurt sauce. This specific dish also goes great with Greek yogurt/garlic sauce, called tzatziki sauce.

The eggplant spread is delicious ,especially when using fresh pita bread to dip into it.

It's good to attempt to make these dishes at home, but most of the time I head out to the restaurant since some of these dishes are rather complex to make at home (especially the eggplant dip). When eaten at a Middle Eastern or Persian restaurant, these dishes are superb. Problem is that these restaurants are far and few, and takes considerable time to drive there. Well worth the time though.

Oh, I was at a restaurant. There's a lovely little storefront Middle Eastern place that has baba ghannuj to die for, and I have yet to find anything on the menu that isn't well worth buying.

I would love to be able to make lamb at home, but it's just too damned expensive if you're not a restaurant buying in bulk. One of the main reasons I like both Middle Eastern and Indian food is that they use a lot of lamb in their cooking.

Forum List

Back