Were Jews Ever Really Slaves in Egypt, or Is Passover a Myth?

My personal theory, unencumbered by any real facts, is that the Israelites were a nomadic tribe that found a home in Egypt as a mercenary army. Once their services were no longer either offered to or wanted by the Egyptians they left and eventually carved out a tiny kingdom in Palestine. I'd guess their number was closer to 600 than 600,000, though the 600 might only refer to men of fighting age. Over the centuries their myths evolved into the story of the Exodus.

you could author comic books. My personal theory on SUPERMAN is that he was
a very precocious VULCAN-----but was experimenting with crack cocaine-----he got
into trouble so built a little space ship------dressed up like a baby and landed in smallville in the rose garden of the barren Mrs Kent. He made up a silly story about
the DESTRUCTION of his planet
Since you like it, let me refine my theory further. It is an historical fact that Jews acted as mercenaries in Egypt. While some part of the ancient Jewish mercenary community left and gave rise to the story of the Exodus, other Jewish mercenary communities remained and were eventually assimilated into Egyptian culture or left.

The name Elephantine is Greek meaning 'elephant' and this expresses the city's function as a gate to the South, since elephants were brought from the south towards Nubia. Another name for the city by ancient Egyptians is 'Yebo', which also meant 'elephant'.

A Jewish garrison community that was already settled in the island by the fifth century B.C., played an essential role in the interaction between Nubia and Egypt.

really? that is interesting -----there were also jews in gaza------what is your point?
Only that the Exodus may have a historical basis.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have no doubt that the exodus has an historical basis-----and I have no doubt
that a Jesus of Galilee existed

We tend, in the midst of our disdain for Egyptian, anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, to overlook the fact that one of the biggest events of the Jewish calendar is predicated upon reminding the next generation every year of how the Egyptians were our cruel slave-masters, in a bondage that likely never happened.

The reality is that there is no evidence whatsoever that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt. Yes, there's the story contained within the bible itself, but that's not a remotely historically admissible source. I'm talking about real proof; archeological evidence, state records and primary sources. Of these, nothing exists.
It is hard to believe that 600,000 families (which would mean about two million people) crossed the entire Sinai without leaving one shard of pottery (the archeologist's best friend) with Hebrew writing on it. It is remarkable that Egyptian records make no mention of the sudden migration of what would have been nearly a quarter of their population, nor has any evidence been found for any of the expected effects of such an exodus; such as economic downturn or labor shortages. Furthermore, there is no evidence in Israel that shows a sudden influx of people from another culture at that time. No rapid departure from traditional pottery has been seen, no record or story of a surge in population.
In fact, there's absolutely no more evidence to suggest that the story is true
read more: Were Jews ever really slaves in Egypt, or is Passover a myth? - The Jewish Thinker
The Book of Genesis and Book of Exodus describe a period of Hebrew servitude in ancient Egypt, during decades of sojourn in Egypt, the escape of well over a million Israelites from the Delta, or the three months journey through the wilderness to Sinai.[4] However, most histories of ancient Israel no longer consider information about the Exodus recoverable or even relevant to the story of Israel's emergence due to the complete lack of direct evidence for its historicity. Historically, there were no Jews in Bronze AgeEgypt (the setting of Exodus and, long before that, of the pyramids' erection), because there were no Jews at all until the rise of the kingdom of Judah in the Iron Age History of the Jews in Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exodus myth?
Here ya go.

here is my take on the bible------ie the OT-----it is far too DETAILED regarding the
REALITIES of the ancient Levant-------including Egypt-----the languages of
the area and known events to be some invention of a person ------or several persons who happened to live in the rustic hills and deserts of what became Israel Judea. Other than "MIRACLES" ----------which dot the collective "memories" of
all societies-----(something like MERLIN and King Arthur) ------there is actually
nothing idiotically FLAMBOYANT-----any more than Standard POETRY ------world
wide

My personal theory, unencumbered by any real facts, is that the Israelites were a nomadic tribe that found a home in Egypt as a mercenary army. Once their services were no longer either offered to or wanted by the Egyptians they left and eventually carved out a tiny kingdom in Palestine. I'd guess their number was closer to 600 than 600,000, though the 600 might only refer to men of fighting age. Over the centuries their myths evolved into the story of the Exodus.

a very precocious VULCAN-----but was experimenting with crack cocaine-----he got
into trouble so built a little space ship------dressed up like a baby and landed in smallville in the rose garden of the barren Mrs Kent. He made up a silly story about
Since you like it, let me refine my theory further. It is an historical fact that Jews acted as mercenaries in Egypt. While some part of the ancient Jewish mercenary community left and gave rise to the story of the Exodus, other Jewish mercenary communities remained and were eventually assimilated into Egyptian culture or left.

The name Elephantine is Greek meaning 'elephant' and this expresses the city's function as a gate to the South, since elephants were brought from the south towards Nubia. Another name for the city by ancient Egyptians is 'Yebo', which also meant 'elephant'.

A Jewish garrison community that was already settled in the island by the fifth century B.C., played an essential role in the interaction between Nubia and Egypt.

I doubt they had anything to do with any exodus;

In Elephantine (modern Aswan) in Egypt, the 5th century Elephantine papyri make mention of a goddess called Anat-Yahu (Anat-Yahweh) worshiped in the temple to Yahweh originally built by Jewish refugees from the Babylonian conquest of Judah. These suggest that "even in exile and beyond the worship of a female deity endured."[5] The texts were written by a group of Jews living at Elephantine near the Nubian border, whose religion has been described as "nearly identical to Iron Age II Judahite religion".[6] The papyri describe the Jews as worshiping Anat-Yahu (or AnatYahu). Anat-Yahu is described as either the wife[7] (or paredra, sacred consort)[8] of Yahweh or as a hypostatized aspect[9] of Yahweh.[10][11]

Anat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We all have our female Goddesses.

Same here. If the Christians had invented Jesus they would have done a much better job.

good point------there are parts of the NT that are clearly "self serving" to ROMAN SUPREMACY------but that stuff does not come from persons who can
be believed to have actually WITNESSED events during the life time of Jesus----
or actually knew his language

Same here. If the Christians had invented Jesus they would have done a much better job.

really? that is interesting -----there were also jews in gaza------what is your point?

What from the coast in Canaan to the hill country in Canaan?

there was a VERY mixed community of people on the ISLAND---"ELEPHANTINE"----between Nubia and Egypt-------which seems ----like much of the Levant to have used ARAMAIC as the common language---at that time (500 BC)-------Neither the time nor the place ----NOR THE VERY MIXED POPULATION of that island has any
relationship to Egypt and its jews at that time of EXODUS. When talking about
writings from the general population of the "ELEPHANTINE" island----one might
just as well refer to the MACY's Department Store ------as a reflection of the Jewish religion----since ----AT ONE TIME in its history it was owned by a jewish family. As to the "god" named YOOHOO------sorta not even close to the manner in which the TETRAGRAM of Judaism was used at the time ---(500 BC)-----
but there were jews on that Island ---who, like the other people on that Island---wrote in Aramaic and were strongly INTERACTIVE with their neighbors For those of us who actually DID read the bible------the fact that NON JEWS-----were
influenced by jewish theology is no big surprise. The fact that people shared each
others imagery -----also nothing new-----however the JUDAISM of 500 BC was not AT ALL defined by the people of Elephantine------of the writings thereof------at that time the center of Judaism -----remained in Jerusalem----but there were jews SCATTERED ABOUT---------the western part of Africa (Egypt, Libya- etc-----all the way to India------but that time there were jews in Arabia). The yearly SANTA in
Macy's is not a reflection of JUDAISM

In Elephantine (modern Aswan) in Egypt, the 5th century Elephantine papyri make mention of a goddess called Anat-Yahu (Anat-Yahweh) worshiped in the temple to Yahweh originally built by Jewish refugees from the Babylonian conquest of Judah. These suggest that "even in exile and beyond the worship of a female deity endured."[5] The texts were written by a group of Jews living at Elephantine near the Nubian border, whose religion has been described as "nearly identical to Iron Age II Judahite religion".[6] The papyri describe the Jews as worshiping Anat-Yahu (or AnatYahu). Anat-Yahu is described as either the wife[7] (or paredra, sacred consort)[8] of Yahweh or as a hypostatized aspect[9] of Yahweh.[10][11]

fifth century ISLAND of ELEPHANTINE and its very DIVERSE population is about as connected to the EXODUS from Egypt as is ROBIN HOOD-------to Brooklyn, NY

what are you calling "the coast of Canaan"? back then-----big land masses
were NAMED-------but since there were no SATELLITE images of the earth-----
and map making was a primitive art------and the people of the earth did not
like to AGREE on anything-----the borders of those land masses were not well
defined. Mountains were named-----Rivers were named---- and SEAS were named. Addresses were interesting. ----they were determined by STABLE
LANDMARKS----like rivers and mountains I was married in the ORTHODOX MANNER------including a marriage contract not only written in Aramaic-----but
using some really quaint ways of describing LOCATION of the event------with allusion to the nearby RIVER -----and the fact that there is ANOTHER river on the opposite side-------and some mountain----somewhere to the north------whoever wrote the thing DID NOT EVEN INCLUDE the zip code-------let alone BORDERS
of the town. A big area of the world at that time was called ASHKENAZ------I have no idea what are the BORDERS of "ASHKENAZ"-----its the big blob up there----north of Lebanon------I think

fifth century ISLAND of ELEPHANTINE and its very DIVERSE population is about as connected to the EXODUS from Egypt as is ROBIN HOOD-------to Brooklyn, NY

True, I just showed that with my post. There was no exodus as described in the OT.

True, I just showed that with my post. There was no exodus as described in the OT.

What post SHOWED anything?------you mentioned a SMALL ISLAND-----between Nubia and Egypt-----(ie on the trade route between Egypt and Subsaharan
Africa-----a route very important to Egypt------that was the route that brought the
subsaharan slaves to Egypt.) The situation on the small island you described-----
was the situation that existed on that island MORE THAN 1000 years after the
time of the EXODUS-----there were some jews there LEFT OVER FROM THE BABYLONIAN CAPTIVITY event that resulted in ESCAPING jews ending up in lots of different areas of the Levant-----from India-to Arabia, to parts of Egypt and ot Yemen ----etc etc------eventually even to the RHINE VALLEY OF ASHKENAZ----
(I think that happened a bit later)--------you "showed" nothing other than the fact
that some of the jews who fled the Babylonian onslaught ended up in or about Egypt--------well----it was an ALREADY known fact. thus you "showed" nothing.
Jews also migrated to ALEXANDRIA, EGYPT-----in the fourth century BC-----
want to make something of that fact too?

I think it beyond question that there were Jews living as mercenaries in ancient Egypt. If a group left to establish their own kingdom it would hardly be surprising. If they were successful it showed the power of their God and the righteousness of their cause.

I think it beyond question that there were Jews living as mercenaries in ancient Egypt. If a group left to establish their own kingdom it would hardly be surprising. If they were successful it showed the power of their God and the righteousness of their cause.

Egyptians liked to RECORD all things military------no record of jewish soldiers
in Egypt. If you ever get out from under your rock-----go and take a look at ancient Egyptian art---------the fact that there were NUBIANS and ---MESOPOTAMIAN Babylonian types around in military gear is unmistakable. There IS---a depiction of
captives-------clearly of the CIRCUMCIZED variety------they may have been jews---
but if I remember correctly that was MESOPOTMIAN (Babylonian) stuff. What the ELEPHANTINE documents did reveal-----since some were written by jews----is----
that lots of jews----in 500 BC were LITERATE IN ARAMAIC----(also a well known
fact------Jesus was literate in Aramaic-----as was the man he quoted incessantly---
to wit HILLEL)

Really? I think we can all agree that there were Jewish, or Israelite if you prefer, mercenaries living in Egypt by 500 or so BC. I doubt we'll ever know WHEN they first arrived there though. Was it a single wave of people fleeing the Persians or Babylonians? Or were there Israelite communities already established there that these exiles knew of and thought they'd be welcomed by? War being the family business of these desert nomads. Some groups probably emigrated there seeking opportunity and some groups left there also seeking opportunity. I think history is always more complex than we will ever truly know.

in Egypt. If you ever get out from under your rock-----go and take a look at ancient Egyptian art---------the fact that there were NUBIANS and ---MESOPOTAMIAN Babylonian types around in military gear is unmistakable. There IS---a depiction of
captives-------clearly of the CIRCUMCIZED variety------they may have been jews---
but if I remember correctly that was MESOPOTMIAN (Babylonian) stuff. What the ELEPHANTINE documents did reveal-----since some were written by jews----is----
fact------Jesus was literate in Aramaic-----as was the man he quoted incessantly---
to wit HILLEL)
"What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow: this is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn.

The Golden Rule, yes the words of Jesus as well. Jews were not the only ones circumcised, I read an interesting hypothesis, that Jews begun circumcision when the were exiled into Babylon, to know who was part of the tribe. Circumcision was not new , the Egyptians also circumcised.

to wit HILLEL)
Art? Is that your source? Look at all the Vietnam war memorial, you won't find the names of the South Vietnamese that died in the war. Every country celebrates its accomplishments in its memorials not those of others.

BTW, I never read that Jesus was literate in Aramaic, Greek, or any other language, something that was probably very rare at the time. He no doubt spoke Aramaic, but literate, I'm not so sure. There are few enough quotes attributed to him, but, so far as I know, nothing that he wrote.

just not as described in the OT or NT. More likely that a man name Jesus was a nomadic rabbi than the story of the exodus.

Forum List

Back