What are you doing here?

My mom lived in Mississippi post slavery and she told me it was horrible for Black people. My grandpa had to move them out after he killed some cracka that disrespected my grandmother. My grandmother told me the stories her mom and father told her about slavery and the same thing is pretty much echoed on my fathers side of the family so I have a pretty good understanding of what it was like. Now if that isnt enough you can hear from actual slaves if you listen to their interviews in the Library of Congress.

Voices from the Days of Slavery, Audio Interviews (American Memory from the Library of Congress)
I can totally understand blacks distrusting whites/police/etc
but when a criminal is shot for attacking/threatening and/or resists/etc--they really hurt their cause when they complain/protest about that ...really ridiculous
Depends on who is saying the person is a criminal and it really depends on your perception of attacking/threatening. Whites think that Blacks should roll over and let someone violate them when they have done nothing wrong. Whites also tend to believe the police can try, convict, and penalize a person where they would be outraged if they were constantly subjected day after day to the same treatment. Another factor is the white experience with cops. Whites live with their cops. Good ole Bobby is your neighbor but when Bobby is working in the Black neighborhoods he turns into a violent racist sociopath. You guys dont have to deal with that Bobby.
But...what about black cops involved in shootings or investigations of black crime?
Have you ever seen Boys in the Hood? Black cops typically are trying their hardest to play uncle tom for the white cops. A lot of times they hate the very fact that they themselves are Black and lash out at Black people worse than white cops.
Or, perhaps they are just doing their job? Not all blacks are innocent, the same goes for all races.
Thats not what I said or even implied. What I said was that Black cops in a white dominated field are pressured to fit in. That ranges from actively pretending they dont see the racism to actively participating in it.

What about blm types that call whites honky, cracker and cave chimps?
It goes two ways, Delores.
Why do you think they are calling whites honky, cracker, and cave chimps? They are just giving what they get.
And vice versa. Which makes my previous attempt of a point that has been ignored. In short...BOTH sides are not exempt in doing/saying/feeling/expressing the wrong things towards one another.
From what I can recall whites started the name calling or are you forgetting your countrys racist history?.
How can I forget when its reminded 24/7?
Did you forget your own racist history against your own? Yours caught and sold. Whites bought. Which is worse or are both awful?
Youre doing the white person deflection thing again. What does two brothers calling each other names have to do with a stranger calling you a name?
What deflection? What two brothers? I asked a legit question. Warring tribes that won a battle took the enemy and sold them to slavers. It was black tribe against black tribe. Whites bought them. The name calling thing was the N word, I presume, said by whites about their cargo. I wonder what blacks called their enemies as they waited to be sold to the captain of the slaver ship, and would it even matter what name they were called? They were SOLD. By their own.
And that seems to be rampant even today with blacks killing blacks. Why do you refuse to acknowledge that, ascl?

Why do you think they are calling whites honky, cracker, and cave chimps? They are just giving what they get.
And vice versa. Which makes my previous attempt of a point that has been ignored. In short...BOTH sides are not exempt in doing/saying/feeling/expressing the wrong things towards one another.
From what I can recall whites started the name calling or are you forgetting your countrys racist history?.
Did you forget your own racist history against your own? Yours caught and sold. Whites bought. Which is worse or are both awful?
Youre doing the white person deflection thing again. What does two brothers calling each other names have to do with a stranger calling you a name?
What deflection? What two brothers? I asked a legit question. Warring tribes that won a battle took the enemy and sold them to slavers. It was black tribe against black tribe. Whites bought them. The name calling thing was the N word, I presume, said by whites about their cargo. I wonder what blacks called their enemies as they waited to be sold to the captain of the slaver ship, and would it even matter what name they were called? They were SOLD. By their own.
And that seems to be rampant even today with blacks killing blacks. Why do you refuse to acknowledge that, ascl?
Lets pretend that was even true. What does that have to do with whites calling Black people names? Thats what I mean by deflections. We were talking about who started the name calling.

Lets pretend that was even true. What does that have to do with whites calling Black people names?
It is true but you refuse to acknowledge the history of it. Ok.
Whites calling blacks names is childish and stupid. Is it done? Of course. Do I like it? Nope. Do I like it when blacks call whites names? Nope.

What about blm types that call whites honky, cracker and cave chimps?
It goes two ways, Delores.
I have seen some of that also and I don't like name calling by anybody. However, the hatred and dehumanization behind the use of the 'n' word was historically meant to place black people in a position of inferiority. Some other name calling is just name calling in retaliation.

I see another response that says I'm one-sided. Perhaps I am. If you had a child who was being constantly berated and picked on, would you not come to his defense? If you had a spouse who was being mistreated and called derogatory names, would you not defend them?

As a white person who has lived 24-7 with a black man and has seen and felt his pain, I cannot remain silent. As a white person who has lived in inner city black neighborhoods and seen and felt their pain, I cannot remain silent. As an individual who believes in liberty and justice for ALL, I cannot remain silent.

Lets pretend that was even true. What does that have to do with whites calling Black people names?
It is true but you refuse to acknowledge the history of it. Ok.
Whites calling blacks names is childish and stupid. Is it done? Of course. Do I like it? Nope. Do I like it when blacks call whites names? Nope.
It may be true to you but thats only because you wish to believe the excuse whites use to down play chattel slavery. The point isnt if you like it or not. The point was about who started the name calling first.

Now...if you can or will....explain to me why blacks bust ass to kill other blacks? Gang against gang. Drive bys. Murder done by blacks against other blacks is rampant. Tell me why, in your opinion. And, what you yourself think of it.

Thanks for these. In cast people don't actually take the time to read them: this one came from Dear Scared White People:
"Listen. I get your fear. We live in a time where a bi-racial man is the President of the United States and was elected twice for the job. Black/hip-hop culture is now the dominant culture of choice for American youth. Gay culture is now bigger and more influential than ever. And I can’t forget the strong surge of Latino culture that’s grown in the past two decades. Yup, Black, brown, and gay folks are up in this b**ch now.

But, my anxious white friend, this doesn’t mean that you no longer have a place in this country. What this pop culture shift means is that everyone has seat at the new American table. Just because my sensibilities are finally being acknowledged, doesn’t mean that yours are being ignored. No person of color is actively looking to erase white culture (for lack of a better description) from this country’s historical continuum. I can pump up Bobby Brown, and you can blast Bon Jovi at the same party.

Since we’re having a discussion now, I’ll drop a little knowledge on you. Smart people embrace change. They don’t run from it. Those that resist change end up getting left behind. And, I’m assuming, you don’t want to get left behind."

THAT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE PUTTING WHITE PEOPLE DOWN TO ME. And the rest of the ones I read are simply black people voicing their opinions about what goes on in everyday life. For years in this country black people weren't allowed to have a say. Now that they have a platform, we need not get upset that they are so eloquently saying what's on their minds.
Is some or part or all of this your own words in response...or someone else's?
I put in quotes what comes from someone else and identify the source.

However, the hatred and dehumanization behind the use of the 'n' word was historically meant to place black people in a position of inferiority.
If it is such an awful word designated to be historically inferior towards blacks...then blacks would not use it on each other, would they? This giving a pass to it depending on who says it is getting old.

Now...if you can or will....explain to me why blacks bust ass to kill other blacks? Gang against gang. Drive bys. Murder done by blacks against other blacks is rampant. Tell me why, in your opinion. And, what you yourself think of it.
You havent even acknowledged you were deflecting nor that whites started the name calling you complained about. Can you address that before we move on?

However, the hatred and dehumanization behind the use of the 'n' word was historically meant to place black people in a position of inferiority.
If it is such an awful word designated to be historically inferior towards blacks...then blacks would not use it on each other, would they? This giving a pass to it depending on who says it is getting old.
This is another white perception issue. Blacks call each other nigga not ******. And please dont tell me that it means the same thing or that its the same word.

I see another response that says I'm one-sided. Perhaps I am. If you had a child who was being constantly berated and picked on, would you not come to his defense? If you had a spouse who was being mistreated and called derogatory names, would you not defend them?

As a white person who has lived 24-7 with a black man and has seen and felt his pain, I cannot remain silent. As a white person who has lived in inner city black neighborhoods and seen and felt their pain, I cannot remain silent. As an individual who believes in liberty and justice for ALL, I cannot remain silent.

Yes, you seem one sided.
Yes, I would defend my child being picked on.
Yes, I would defend my spouse.

You don't have to be silent, but be prepared to defend your own stance when you do not express yourself honestly like you just did in that post. Which is the first time I have seen you do such a thing. Thank you.

This is another white perception issue. Blacks call each other nigga not ******.
I have heard MANY blacks say ******, not nigga.

This is another white perception issue. Blacks call each other nigga not ******.
Like who? In all my life I have never heard a Black person say that to another Black person except in a movie.

I believe that segregation, lack of quality education, jobs and resources have led many people to desperation. Selling drugs is sometimes the only way young men can see to make money. Drugs and violence go together. And also I believe that since young black men have been told for so long that they are of no value, they feel they can take another life because it has no value and they see it as their own survival.

Like who? In all my life I have never heard a Black person say that to another Black person except in a movie.
Who? Hell, I don't know! In my 65 years on this earth, I have seen it, heard it but I didn't take names. And...even bastardizing the word means diddly squat. I mean, come on! Nigga is as bad as nigg**! It still means the EXACT SAME THING!!!

I believe that segregation, lack of quality education, jobs and resources have led many people to desperation. Selling drugs is sometimes the only way young men can see to make money. Drugs and violence go together. And also I believe that since young black men have been told for so long that they are of no value, they feel they can take another life because it has no value and they see it as their own survival.
Excuses, Delores. And my question was aimed at ascl, but I doubt if he does anything different than you just did.

The term when used by blacks is not the same. They have taken away the pain of it by making it their own and saying "My N." It comes out with a vibe of love and kinship, not hatred. Whites do not use it in the same way because they do not feel that love.

Who? Hell, I don't know! In my 65 years on this earth, I have seen it, heard it but I didn't take names. And...even bastardizing the word means diddly squat. I mean, come on! Nigga is as bad as nigg**! It still means the EXACT SAME THING!!!
How do you know it means the same thing if youre not Black? I can tell you its not even in the same ball park in regards to meaning.

Forum List

Back